• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what it is, what do people do there? What is its purpose?

It's basically a party.

As far at its purpose, the name is kind of self-explanatory. Instead of internalizing hatred and stuff for pretty minor human differences you're celebrating the unique perspectives afforded by queerness, etc.

Trigger

As a community that faces lots of discrimination and societal pressures there's a lot of value in having an annual occasion where we can celebrate who we are. It reinforces a positive self-image in the community. Party, socialize, and meet local members of your LGBT community. It's lovely.

Hige

zun84Zrh.jpg
It's like Where's Waldo?: Pride Edition.

Alrus

How early did you get to the airport?

Early enough if you don't foresee having any issue with boarding, so about 2 hours early. Anyway situation is almost sorted, got a new ID card and a plane ticket for tomorrow that wasn't overly expensive. All in all I've lost about 150 euros and one day and one night of the trip, could be much worse.

mantidor

Don't understand or don't like? There's a difference.

I think the purpose is pretty obvious, while it's all party now in the US and many other places, it exists to show visibility, if you want a glimpse of the past see how the pride parades turned out on Moscow or Saint Petersburg.

Don't understand or don't like? There's a difference.

I think the purpose is pretty obvious, while it's all party now in the US and many other places, it exists to show visibility, if you want a glimpse of the past see how the pride parades turned out on Moscow or Saint Petersburg.

My understanding of all things gay is limited to myself, that of my boyfriend, and of course the internet,
which I never took the time to explore pride with. Even though I am 27, my exposure to other gay people
is sadly low. MMO's, the people I ignored in high school do to self loathing, and even in college. I
cannot recall knowing of or meeting any other gay people in college. My greatest exposure has been
Gaf, and Final Fantasy XI. Am I gay blind?

Menaged

I'm watching tennis and I gotta say novak djokovic is a pretty hot guy.

Indeed he is.
It's quite amazing that not so long ago, the top 3 tennis players were quite hot in different ways. I'm talking about Nadal-Federer-Novak, but Andy Murray is cute as well.

BTW, regarding your "thinking about men".
Like others have said, in addition to other "stuff", your meds might cause it.
From what I know, anti-depressents increase Serotonine, which in turn reduces your sexual drive as a side effect

Mark1

Indeed he is.
It's quite amazing that not so long ago, the top 3 tennis players were quite hot in different ways. I'm talking about Nadal-Federer-Novak, but Andy Murray is cute as well.

BTW, regarding your "thinking about men".
Like others have said, in addition to other "stuff", your meds might cause it.
From what I know, anti-depressents increase Serotonine, which in turn reduces your sexual drive as a side effect
I think meds are partially involved as well.

Good to see tennis player lovers.

Some of them are hot, particularly Andy Roddick. What a hunk he is. <3

As a community that faces lots of discrimination and societal pressures there's a lot of value in having an annual occasion where we can celebrate who we are. It reinforces a positive self-image in the community. Party, socialize, and meet local members of your LGBT community. It's lovely.

I wish there was a way to promote positive self-imagine that didn't revolve around hedonistic drug use and promiscuous sex.

FYC

Banned
Sai-Kun I never knew you posted on SomethingAwful! Just saw you and Booties in the Halo 4 thread, blew my mind. Helloooo

I'm always kind of amazed about gay marriage not being legal in countries as secular as Japan. Then again, Japan is all about tradition so its not too shocking.

RM8

Holy cow! I used to listen to Hirai Ken years ago. I never imagined he'd be gay (other than his uber high voice if we go by stereotypes, lol).

mantidor

I always suspected that Hirai Ken is gay. Well, not only I found out that he's gay but he's recently got married (well, more symbolic wedding since gay marriage is not legal in Japan) to his BF. Grrr, his BF is lucky SOB.

http://aramatheydidnt.livejournal.com/4894354.html

Hirai Ken:

http://i.imgur.com/PzTlk6Y.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

hmmm...

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OCmMDDUPPcg/Ub6Zxo6-5DI/AAAAAAAAEKU/E0F41riSPM0/s1600/101.jpeg

"Ken Hirai got married! His partner is that muscular, bearded, short-haired boyfriend..."

Japan sure has a very loose definition of "muscular", which is pretty odd, if you have watched bara :p

I read a fascinating article about homosexuality in Japan, unfortunately I can't find it anymore,but the conclusion is that trying to look at the situation from western eyes gives a completely skewed view of what happens over there, this is a country where arranged marriage was a thing not long ago.

I agree with the eye roll because it's pretty silly and inaccurate (pride revolves around drugs and sex?) For most people pride is a party, and for some people parties centre on recreational drug use and sex, but for people with that attitude the party is more or less a means to an end and you wouldn't really consider them to be participating in the spirit of the event. It's maybe not a great comparison but a lot of people go to raves more or less just to take MDMA, but ask anyone actually involved in the scene and they'll likely tell you it's about the music.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sai-Kun I never knew you posted on SomethingAwful! Just saw you and Booties in the Halo 4 thread, blew my mind. Helloooo

ssshhhh SA is my secret hideout!

I wish there was a way to promote positive self-imagine that didn't revolve around hedonistic drug use and promiscuous sex.

people in the community partaking in it = that's what the community is about?

have another eyeroll gif

4OpAUZ3.gif

It's maybe not a great comparison but a lot of people go to raves more or less just to take MDMA, but ask anyone actually involved in the scene and they'll likely tell you it's about the music.

I would agree with this. A ton of people go to shows to get just super fucked up, but for a majority of the people in the audience, sober or not, it all comes back to being about the music and sense of community. Some of my favorite experiences at festivals have been when I've connected with the people around me. Drugs just enhance that experience :D

but those are like the two best things

also yeah this

I went to pride for the second time this weekend. Me and my best friend appeared in Houston Press although can't really see myself since I was taking pics. My boyfriend dressed up and ended up in the parade lol...

xElrZKs.jpg

Don't know if I can do it again, was so freaking hot outside.

I went to pride for the second time this weekend. Me and my best friend appeared in Houston Press although can't really see myself since I was taking pics. My boyfriend dressed up and ended up in the parade lol...

xElrZKs.jpg

Don't know if I can do it again, was so freaking hot outside.

Guy with the beard front row.

Would.

Guy with the beard front row.

Would.

The older fella? The guy in the white shirt almost surely had skin cancer (on the left). He had this big old ball on his back, and other spots. Was horrible to see that, poor guy. My friend is the asian dude in blue and I'm taking a pic with my camera, I never wear tank tops lol.

Wow I am so white my skin stands out in the picture XD

RM8

My unemployment paranoia coming back in full force!

This time it's a bit more real, though. My office is dissolving by the end of the week and... well, there's the possibility that a lot of us will lose our jobs. I'm particularly in risk because I'm not a lawyer, as a market researcher I really don't have any business here in government :p Oh maaaan. If I do lose my job I'll be experimenting unemployment for the first time in my life, it's scary. Especially because I'm 25 and have never worked in, well ACTUAL marketing stuff so I know I'm going to struggle to find a job :( I'm a hard-working guy, I'm willing to learn, can I please keep my job, please? :/

It's been fine working here (and it was really nice landing this job even before I was done with college!) but I think it would have been smarter to look for a different job by now. I just hope it's not such a huge mistake... bleeeeeh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom