• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsej87

Same, after my anatomy lab of disecting cats I'd be hungry....for feline cuisine
I'm a monster

If I weren't so hungry, there's a cunnilingus joke in there. Also, I'm so glad I don't have to work with preserved bodies anymore like in lab classes. Terrible smell and everything is all weird and semi-fixed. Granted, the trade off is I have to remove the brain from a decapitated rat head while it's still making weird spasms.

Caladrius

If I weren't so hungry, there's a cunnilingus joke in there. Also, I'm so glad I don't have to work with preserved bodies anymore like in lab classes. Terrible smell and everything is all weird and semi-fixed. Granted, the trade off is I have to remove the brain from a decapitated rat head while it's still making weird spasms.

How far do you actually have to cut it down to?

And I'm not doing so well. My ma had a panic attack in the car tuesday and she's too afraid to drive me to school (It's a 1/2 hour+ ride) I don't have a license to drive back and forth to school and she's not going to lend me the car without one. I have no idea how we're going to do this.

bsej87

How far do you actually have to cut it down to?

And I'm not doing so well. My ma had a panic attack in the car tuesday and she's too afraid to drive me to school (It's a 1/2 hour+ ride) I don't have a license to drive back and forth to school and she's not going to lend me the car without one. I have no idea how we're going to do this.

We just use a tiny guillotine to cut through the neck and then some rongeuers to remove the skull.

Is there a friend you could slip some gas money to and carpool with? :(

scarlet

I need to get drunk, but too bad i can't. My body has a very high tolerance of alcohol.
I always be that person who take cares of his drunk friends :/

Same, after my anatomy lab of disecting cats I'd be hungry....for feline cuisine
I'm a monster

The smell of formaldehyde would always kill whatever appetite I had for hours.

I need to get drunk, but too bad i can't. My body has a very high tolerance of alcohol.
I always be that person who take cares of his drunk friends :/

Can't you just drink a lot really quickly? God I give horrible advice, don't actually do that.

RM8

explain the kirby franchise then
They're good games, so people buy them and usually get okay scores (not always). There you go :D I hope we avoid mentioning Knack and Kirby in the same post in the future.

Also, Kirby somehow shines the most when doing spinoffs for some reason. Mass Attack was delicious and just one of the finest games I've ever played. Whatever good scores it got, they're completely deserved.

RM8

you seem awfully hostile towards knack for someone who has never played it
I'm not even calling it objectively bad, lol, just that it looks boring to me. I clearly said I personally don't even care about reviews, so I'd encourage people to buy it if they like what they see. I repeat, in my opinion, Puppeteer would have been a much stronger launch title than what I've seen from Knack.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm going to spam this trailer in every thread I enter. We need to get PopGAF on board with this shit!

Pop-GAF is all like...

antm-faint-o.gif

And Poli-GAF is all like...

83616-Government-Shutdown-gif-SNL-Jo-lGiq.gif

And then TV-GAF is like...

tumblr_mhf936xlem1qb9jcko2_250.gif

Grakl

BTW HBO just released a trailer for their new series about GAYZ omgomg (it's from the guy who made 'Weekend'!) omgomg

Link!11!!

ugh

For some reason I always hate shows/movies/fiction books/whatever that center on gay people, they seem incredibly cringeworthy. I almost always prefer it when a movie just happens to have a gay character instead of making him/her the main focus, like in Scott Pilgrim.

ugh

For some reason I always hate shows/movies/fiction books/whatever that center on gay people, they seem incredibly cringeworthy. I almost always prefer it when a movie just happens to have a gay character instead of making him/her the main focus, like in Scott Pilgrim.

Scott Pilgrim was so great on so many levels. Its a shame it didn't do better.

For another HBO example (that doesn't take place in prison) I kind of prefer the Six Feet Under type thing where its treatment of human sexuality among other things can be pretty stark sometimes. The trailer for that show almost makes it look like Girls with gay guys or something. I might catch the first episode and see what I think, but I'm not really excited for it.

ugh

except most gay characters in movies/tv shows are fucking terrible

Scott Pilgrim was an exception.

ivysaur12

Banned
ugh

Why? I don't really see anything particularly wrong with writing about being gay. It's all about the execution, but that goes for any medium.

Grakl

except most gay characters in movies/tv shows are fucking terrible

Scott Pilgrim was an exception.

Yes, so making a show focusing on gay characters is even worse, if that's possible (which it definitely is). Maybe it's because the only thing that's really focused on are gay stereotypes?

Why? I don't really see anything particularly wrong with writing about being gay. It's all about the execution, but that goes for any medium.

The execution is almost always shit, which I don't really see when it comes to material about other minorities. I don't know why this is true, but from what I've seen it is.

Yes, so making a show focusing on gay characters is even worse, if that's possible (which it definitely is). Maybe it's because the only thing that's really focused on are gay stereotypes?
How can you tell it's stereotypical just by that trailer? From what it showed it was Gay guys trying to find a partner online and some dude worried about hitting Gay death.

Grakl

How can you tell it's stereotypical just by that trailer? From what it showed it was Gay guys trying to find a partner online and some dude worried about hitting Gay death.

Dunno if it's stereotypical from that trailer, I'd have to watch the show. I was replying to the person who posted the trailer because I just figured that it was relevant is all. Still, like the dude in the trailer said, what I've seen so far is "such a cliche". If sex/partnership and gay death is all the show focuses on (which I doubt it will, though that's all that was in the trailer) then I'd be disappointed. Either way, I'll have to at least watch the first ep to have an opinion on it lol.

I was just commenting in general about how I feel about gay characters in various media.

bsej87

Also, poor Billy Crystal/Jodie Dallas always gets forgotten when discussions of gay television characters come up even he was one of the first and Soap is one of my god-tier shows

Earlier this year I checked out a book and it was about some teens with depression and stuff. There was a "Gay" character except the author had no idea how to make a gay character and used the fucking terrible "Oh wait lol I'm not actually gay1111!!" shit and it just pissed me off so much I dropped the book.

Like, if you're gonna have a gay character at least fucking carry on with the idea and don't use some shit plot twist just because you have no idea how to write a non-stereotypical gay.

As a twenty-something is anyone else sick of shows about twenty-somethings trying to form a practical identity for themselves? I get why stories like that exist but lately I feel like I can't really relate to characters like that at all, and I'm already surrounded by it enough that it doesn't seem like a window into anything particularly interesting or insightful, either.

If you broaden the criteria Wild Reeds is amazing, and A Single Man is pretty good. I also second Mysterious Skin but it's literally the opposite of a romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom