• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
A friend just casually outed me in front of my boss. This isn't awkward at all
yes, it is :\
Well, maybe she'll find you a man and force you to date him. We can only hope. (sun)

BTW HBO just released a trailer for their new series about GAYZ omgomg (it's from the guy who made 'Weekend'!) omgomg

Link!11!!
:eek:

I hope Russell Tovey is part of the main cast and didn't just make a small appearance. O( ̄ー ̄)O

I was just commenting in general about how I feel about gay characters in various media.
It always seems so...alien to me. Like there's a whole other world that I am ignorant to. Just the way their way of life is presented, the scenarios, and having a group of gay friends--I cannot relate to any of it.

It's a strange feeling.

ilikeme

Any good gay movie that can make me cry?
I really love tragic love story, it's the best love story.

Weekend

One of few movies about a gay relationship that affected me emotionally. Well directed, interesting style, good characters, intelligent script and two attractive leads. One of the best.

..Although I'm not sure I'd consider it tragic, but I cried :3. It's more poignant than tragic I guess.

ilikeme

Ah well then..

I'd second Wild Reeds by André Téchine. Was a long time ago I saw it but I remember being touched.

The peruvian Contracorriente is something I always recommend as well. Very well-made film.

I can't really remember if Maurice, Beautiful Thing or the amazing Danish movie Du Er Ikke Alene (You Are Not Alone) were tragic or not, but I love those movies too.

Hopefully you haven't seen all of them yet :xD

^^ Why did it bore you? Couldn't you connect with the feelings of the characters? You didn't find it funny? I thought the script was fun, the camerawork was cool and it was just fun to see gay characters in very conventional situations and very little stereotyping. And the acting was spot-on.

T.O.P

Banned
Was going around some coming out videos on YT and i saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JXx4z9P1w&list=WLACD90A4A8852AD67

<3

still thinking about coming out to my dad before the end of the year, i really don't like how i totally opened up with my mom while my relationship with dad is getting worst everyday :/

oh gay themed movies, nice, will check some of them out later, last one i really liked was Happy Together and another one wich i can't remember the title at all...about a couple adopting a kid wich turns out to be a teeneger instead of a toddler or something

I recommend Y Tu Mamá También and Bound.

Y Tu Mamá También is more a bi movie or a 'straight male friendship with more to it that they don't know about' movie. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, director of Children of Men (which is somehow not gay at all) and Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban.

Bound is a Lesbians vs Joe Pantoliano/mafia heist movie. It has great pacing and is super great. Conflicting characters are reasonably smart in trying to react to the other's plans. Directed by some Wachowski siblings who might have done some other things after this.

EDIT: Oooh, and Heavenly Creatures is another one. Based on a true murder story, about two teenaged girls who raise suspicions from being close friends. Kate Winslet's first movie! Directed by Peter Jackson.

So after a few dodgy situations I confronted the guy I was dating and he (not so shockingly) revealed he recently became interested in someone else
(FOR FUCK'S SAKE WE MET LIKE A MONTH AGO!!!)

I hate guys :(

Grakl

It always seems so...alien to me. Like there's a whole other world that I am ignorant to. Just the way their way of life is presented, the scenarios, and having a group of gay friends--I cannot relate to any of it.

It's a strange feeling.

Yup, pretty much lol.

I know how it feels Victor. Getting emotionally interested in guys is a tough game, which is why I've been avoiding it for years. And I'm living it again now that I'm actively looking for a bf.

I know how it feels Victor. Getting emotionally interested in guys is a tough game, which is why I've been avoiding it for years. And I'm living it again now that I'm actively looking for a bf.
It's very shitty. We cuddled, watched movies at my place, cooked for each other a couple of times, went out to dinner, we could just talk about anything for hours...

He said he was going to tell me about it but he just arrived from his holidays (which I guess is were he met this other guy) on Monday. It just feels awful that I was the one who had to bring it up. He doesn't want me to push him away but right now I just feel really stupid even talking to him.

scarlet

Ah well then..

I'd second Wild Reeds by André Téchine. Was a long time ago I saw it but I remember being touched.

The peruvian Contracorriente is something I always recommend as well. Very well-made film.

I can't really remember if Maurice, Beautiful Thing or the amazing Danish movie Du Er Ikke Alene (You Are Not Alone) were tragic or not, but I love those movies too.

Hopefully you haven't seen all of them yet :xD

^^ Why did it bore you? Couldn't you connect with the feelings of the characters? You didn't find it funny? I thought the script was fun, the camerawork was cool and it was just fun to see gay characters in very conventional situations and very little stereotyping. And the acting was spot-on.

Noted!

Was going around some coming out videos on YT and i saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JXx4z9P1w&list=WLACD90A4A8852AD67

<3

still thinking about coming out to my dad before the end of the year, i really don't like how i totally opened up with my mom while my relationship with dad is getting worst everyday :/

oh gay themed movies, nice, will check some of them out later, last one i really liked was Happy Together and another one wich i can't remember the title at all...about a couple adopting a kid wich turns out to be a teeneger instead of a toddler or something

That video was beautiful.
And please remember the movie title, it sounds good

Burbeting

Banned
There's also a new gay-miniseries, which is supposedly really good (haven't seen it myself). I don't think it has been translated to English yet. Anyway, the name is "Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar", which you could freely translate to "Don't dry tears with bare hands."

mantidor

I was going to recommend this one! you can find it on youtube but it's probably without subtitles.

I really don't want to talk bout much because it would be a crime to spoil the "twist", but while it has the usual gay cliches, it also throws others out of the window, highly recommended.

Does anyone else have a really shitty profile / silhouette? I look tiny from the side (which I'm fine with) but I always look fat as hell from the front.

On the plus side, I've been spiting my perpetual thunder thighs by beefing the hell out of them and swapping out the muscle for fat now that I know I can't lose them, so there's that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So after a few dodgy situations I confronted the guy I was dating and he (not so shockingly) revealed he recently became interested in someone else
(FOR FUCK'S SAKE WE MET LIKE A MONTH AGO!!!)

I hate guys :(

While I certainly sympathize with you, I don't personally find this kind of situation terribly surprising, tbh. I'm inclined to believe it's more likely to become interested in other people either early on like this, or much, much further into a long-term relationship rather than somewhere in the middle. A month in and you're still getting accustomed to each other, figuring out pros and cons, possibly developing attachments but also still keeping your mind open to things changing.

Obviously, it sucks if/when both parties don't feel the same, and hopefully he wasn't go around declaring any gushing commitments to you if he wasn't prepared to at least try to follow through (that would be quite rude and unfortunate), but attractions and emotions are complicated, unpredictable things. Sometimes you've just gotta take 'em for what they are and keep on truckin'.

Day 8 of facial hair:

Very itchy.

It gets better. Besides, people think scratching scruff is cute most of the time anyway.

Also, example of what I'm talking about with regards to silhouettes:

iq8oSK9cQvKt1.png

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ugh

For some reason I always hate shows/movies that center on gay people, they seem incredibly cringeworthy.

Don't "ugh" me Grakl! You're going to watch 'Looking' and you're going to love it! >:O

I do too. Most of the gay movies I've seen have been total shit.

The trailer for that show almost makes it look like Girls with gay guys or something. I might catch the first episode and see what I think, but I'm not really excited for it.

There is likely to be many a thirty-year-old ready to rake it over the Sex and the City coals, while unoriginal twenty-year-olds will gab about how it is totally the Gay Girls. But luckily for us, there’s enough creative and originality behind this work that we’re fairly certain those labels won’t stick.

For starters, the director of the highly acclaimed filmed Weekend, Andrew Haigh, is at the helm. Second, Michael Lannan was a producer on such films as James Franco’s 2013 short Interior. Leather Bar.

But from anecdotes from the set — including that of SF-based Accidental Bear blogger Mike Enders, who is reportedly featured in an episode this season, ensuring the local vibe is authentic. “I was giving explicit direction to be tight-lipped about details,” explained Enders. “But what I can say is that the San Francisco LGBT community will be proud.”

sauce

THIS ONE'S FOR THE GAYS!!!!!1!!!

Weekend

One of few movies about a gay relationship that affected me emotionally. Well directed, interesting style, good characters, intelligent script and two attractive leads. One of the best.

Looking is from the Weekend guy!

I disliked Weekend. It bored me.

You'll watch Looking though right? It has gay people in it.

Gay Death doesn't exist folks, stop throwing it around like it's a thing.

If you want the definitive answer on whether gay death is real or not, tune in to Looking which airs Sunday, Jan. 19 at 10:30 p.m on HBO.

Does anyone else have a really shitty profile / silhouette?

I do. I hate the way my profile looks. Big forehead + weird nose + no discernible jawline = horribad profile.

Burbeting

Banned
Came out today to one of my friends. Feels really weird... don't know if I'm relieved or not.

//After an horu or so, the relief comes. I'm happy that I did this, even if for just one person, who I feel I can trust.

scarlet

Day 8 of facial hair:

Very itchy.

oCfjQV5.gif

It gets better. Besides, people think scratching scruff is cute most of the time anyway.

Also, example of what I'm talking about with regards to silhouettes:

iq8oSK9cQvKt1.png

You're great! nothing's wrong with the pic

yeah it's a really awesome video

btw found it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1067733/

Thank you

I was going to recommend this one! you can find it on youtube but it's probably without subtitles.

I really don't want to talk bout much because it would be a crime to spoil the "twist", but while it has the usual gay cliches, it also throws others out of the window, highly recommended.

Noted, and i think i've heard about it before

I do. I hate the way my profile looks. Big forehead + weird nose + no discernible jawline = horribad profile.

I hate every picture, I'm not photogenic :(

Edit: just watch the HBO trailer, I'm in!

mantidor

god damn

lady gaga overload D: I might as well try to enjoy it now that I'm stuck here at this club, but it is slowly making me want to scream in terror heh.

Yes I'm posting on GAF while in a club, this might show my desperation haha

RM8

I'm short-sighted, so I often eye-lock people that look even remotely similar to people I know, until we're quite close. If I was wrong, it's super awkward :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom