• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet

Why not just make your own hummus? Isn't it basically chickpeas, tahini, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt? mix, serve (and when you do your own you can add spices to your tastes)

I used to make a batch and have it in the fridge and just eat loads of vegetables or bread with it as my go-to snack. Yummy. <3 hummus

I'm too lazy

That's right. James Wolk and his derpy goober face are not within my range of attraction. Unlike you guys, I have standards.

So I have her to thank for unleashing...that? Oh.

XVZ5YTi.gif

get him to take off his pants instead!

And hide any bottles

Caladrius

If there's too many flavors or textures in food it just makes me feel sick. I absolutely can't stand to have stuff mixed together, aside from using the occasional dipping sauce.

Alrus

A good stew doesn't even have that much liquid in it...

And hating on soup? Sometimes I'm truly baffled by people's taste in food :p

daripad

Yes, well, the only way to get better at making conversation is to practice. We have to suffer through the awkward stuff in order to get to the soul bearing emotional honesty that friends cherish so much.

I'm terrible at starting conversations. I'm better at just answering and making jokes out of it.

Cooking can be kind of fun if I'm engaged in the process, not really fussing with the recipe too much, and using my intuition to figure out how it's going to turn out. Not that much fun mind you, but I do find I like it the most when I kind of get into a flow and thinking about how all of the stuff is coming together. I think getting over the aversion to doing something is the biggest step in mastering it. I hated science labs in university because the step by step directions are tedious and I hate following recipes to the letter, and there's no real need to make cooking like that. It's not really that I have a strong culinary sense or anything, but I like never use measuring spoons, recipes are kind of general guidelines anyways and I find if you look at them that way it becomes more fun to cook.

I'm terrible at starting conversations. I'm better at just answering and making jokes out of it.

I honestly don't know how anyone starts conversations without resorting to conversational cliches.

daripad

Yes, me too. That's why it's best to acknowledge that fact to the person you're conversing with and go from there.

Never thought about that. I might try it next time, thanks.

Cooking can be kind of fun if I'm engaged in the process, not really fussing with the recipe too much, and using my intuition to figure out how it's going to turn out. Not that much fun mind you, but I do find I like it the most when I kind of get into a flow and thinking about how all of the stuff is coming together. I hated science labs in university because the step by step directions are tedious and I hate following recipes to the letter, and there's no real need to make cooking like that. It's not really that I have a strong culinary sense or anything, but I like never use measuring spoons, recipes are kind of general guidelines anyways and I find if you look at them that way it becomes more fun to cook.

I honestly don't know how anyone starts conversations without resorting to conversational cliches.

1. I love following rules, receips, steps. And I love science labs :p but still that doesn't make me good at cooking, since something seems to get lost in transition and I'm also bad at dicing and slicing.
2. Knowing the person helps. In case of not knowing that person is when you really dont know how to start.

Ty4on

I hated science labs in university because the step by step directions are tedious and I hate following recipes to the letter, and there's no real need to make cooking like that.

It was such a letdown after salt analysis in high school. We got a salt (later mixtures) and had to find out what it consisted of. No step by step guide, just some experiments we could perform and like in the real world most gave an unclear answer.

I'm not good at cooking in the slightest, but I have kind of found out how easy it can be to make some good tasting dishes and how salt enhances every flavor (thanks Alton Brown!).

_Isaac

Cooking can be kind of fun if I'm engaged in the process, not really fussing with the recipe too much, and using my intuition to figure out how it's going to turn out. Not that much fun mind you, but I do find I like it the most when I kind of get into a flow and thinking about how all of the stuff is coming together. I think getting over the aversion to doing something is the biggest step in mastering it. I hated science labs in university because the step by step directions are tedious and I hate following recipes to the letter, and there's no real need to make cooking like that. It's not really that I have a strong culinary sense or anything, but I like never use measuring spoons, recipes are kind of general guidelines anyways and I find if you look at them that way it becomes more fun to cook

Whether you follow the recipe to the letter or just go with the flow it always takes so much time and effort with a result that's usually less than tasty.

1. I love following rules, receips, steps. And I love science labs :p but still that doesn't make me good at cooking, since something seems to get lost in transition and I'm also bad at dicing and slicing.

Dicing and slicing definitely falls under the domain of practice, more obviously than any other part of cooking that I can think of. I don't know what gets lost in transition though. Maybe try to grok at the finished whole so you can see the meaning in the individual steps, then even if something is lost you can still find a way to preserve the 'essence'. Why am I talking so abstractly about cooking lol. I don't know if that really works but that's the only time I kind of got any enjoyment out of science labs, too, because you're perceiving the 'meaning' in what you're doing so even if you screw it up at least you understand the process and why it exists, and what you did wrong, etc.

2. Knowing the person helps. In case of not knowing that person is when you really dont know how to start.

Yeah for sure. Usually I just prompt people to begin talking about themselves :p I don't really like talking about myself to strangers anyways so I get to seem generous with my interest in them by playing the part of active listener or whatever.

It was such a letdown after salt analysis in high school. We got a salt (later mixtures) and had to find out what it consisted of. No step by step guide, just some experiments we could perform and like in the real world most gave an unclear answer.

I hadn't done that lab. But even ones kind of like that I hated if they called for any degree of precision, which like all labs do :p Well maybe not Bio labs (my dissections were always such disasters), but then you're just drawing a bunch of diagrams of slides and stuff which is super boring.

I actually quite like science lectures, but it's the practical side I hate. I love that burst of "Aha!" when it all clicks on the theory end, but on the practical end between those is a lot of controlled action and double checking. I'm too mentally undisciplined for that, I spend like my entire life playing by ear or using my intuition to spare myself the worry :p

I think that's a sign that I'm not meant for the sciences though. Anyone can appreciate the result of a certain kind of concerted mental effort. You kind of have to appreciate the process to be able to say you have any affinity for it, otherwise I'm just like a passive consumer essentially.

Whether you follow the recipe to the letter or just go with the flow it always takes so much time and effort with a result that's usually less than tasty.

Oh, well I don't know then. I'm a better cook than my parents so I have no idea who I got it from.

scarlet

My copy of ALBW got delayed

So I only have less than 8 hours to play it before monday or none at all.

Thanks for ruining my weekend!

NccOnl3.gif

Scarlet, you can join to the "Won't buy anything until I finish my exams" club, so it feels warmer in here.
Hear, hear.
Although I will be seeing all 3 Madoka Magica movies (in theaters) a few days before my finals start...

I'm sure I'd have time for stuff like games if I didn't vegetate in front of GAF 16 hours a day, though.

minty_jpg

My copy of ALBW got delayed

So I only have less than 8 hours to play it before monday or none at all.

Thanks for ruining my weekend![/IMG]

Yeah...there are some games that I will download instead of retail because of this.

Anyone into The Hunger Games? Loved the first movie, can't wait to watch the 2nd one, hopefully this weekend :D

I read all 3 books and then watched the first movie. Very underwhelmed by it so I'm not sure if I'll wait until this one comes out on DVD before watching it.

I'm way too scared to let anything touch my eyes plus glasses are awesome so I would only get surgery if my eyesight goes to crap, which luckily it appears it will not.

edit: Also... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING READING A COMPUTER SCREEN!?!? Get some rest!
Me in glasses isn't something anyone would want to see, so laser was the only way for me. I think it was Trans-PRK, so the healing process is gonna take forever. Feels like someone rubbed vaseline in my eyes. :(

I couldn't rest though, I got ALBW in the mail yesterday. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom