• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Zombie

Hello there ;)

How does everyone feel about the ever growing abbreviation? It is now LGBTQIA.

Q is probably for Queer.
A - Asexual (?)

What does the "I" stands for?

Also, I find the lack of T in the OP concerning. Just completely dropping the T and saying LGB.

There is "T", it's just that it's merged with the word "Thread".
However, let's be honest here, the thread is really about gays and bisexual males. IIRC there were like two lesbians who posted here for a while and one panasexual member. Transgender people already have their own OT in Offtopic Community.

Here is us:
VuwmYiEs.jpg
Cute :3

Kangi

Hello there ;)

Q is probably for Queer.
A - Asexual (?)

What does the "I" stands for?
Intersex...

Do I have to go over the full abbreviation again? It is, in full:

Queer/Questioning
Undecided
Intersex
Lesbian
Transgender
Bisexual
Asexual
Gay

There being variants on "LGBT" doesn't mean the term is changing. Just depends on the context and how inclusive the user is unintentionally or intentionally being.

I just finished watching a gay series on Netflix called 'DTLA'. It's basically just about a group of gay friends and their relationship dramaz, but it was actually pretty decent (and somewhat addictive... :?) despite:

having some pretty spotty acting. Some of the actors did a good job (main black guy, asian guy, white girl with big teeth) and some of the actors were fucking awful. The scene in the final episode where
the lesbian is drunk calling her friends' ex while one handedly playing with a Gamecube controller contains some of the worst acting I've ever seen in anything ever.

having extremely trite writing, poor editing, amateurish direction, and just an overall lack of polish.

On the plus side, there's a lot of nudity (although some of it is bizarrely censored - like, in one scene you'll see a guy's dick and in the next scene another guys' will be blurred out) and some really hot sex scenes.

Anyway, it's worth watching if only to tide you over until HBO's Looking premieres on January 19 at 10:30/9:30c.

Nope. His body is hot but his face looks like it belongs to a 12 year old.
I watched it because Danny Robert is in it (he was the gay guy from MTV's The Real World New Orleand and actually the main reason I was OK with being gay when I was a teen).

The show was very enjoyable and it's supposedly coming back for a second season but I'm not so sure anymore.

Also, I find the lack of T in the OP concerning. Just completely dropping the T and saying LGB.

Anywho, I'm 26, bi, partnered, poly, Ohioan. I run a gaming website for LGBTQIA, feminists and allies of those groups.

Here is us:
VuwmYiEs.jpg

LGBT is fine. There's no sense in obfuscating the issue so that everyone can feel like a special snowflake.

mantidor

See, it always happens, fans get a bit smug when their favorite platform is doing well. And they also get bitter when their favorite platform is struggling. That thread combines both :p

I don't know why I let myself to be drag into those threads.

The mixed critical reception of Knack pushed some fans over the edge, so of course they are going to jump into a thread about Knack outselling 3D world, even though is only about the UK and most of them aren't even near the island.

And the port begging... urgh, I don't know how I contained myself.

Só yeah I'll rather stroll here even if it's flooded by Dailey pictures. :p

LGBT is fine. There's no sense in obfuscating the issue so that everyone can feel like a special snowflake.

I fully agree, I don't even get the need for something like a "pansexual" label, the whole thing gets too confusing and we already have enough problems with straight people confusing sexual orientation with being transgender.

I don't think it is that complex, we know what binds us as a group.

Caladrius

I don't know why I let myself to be drag into those threads.

The mixed critical reception of Knack pushed some fans over the edge, so of course they are going to jump into a thread about Knack outselling 3D world, even though is only about the UK and most of them aren't even near the island.

And the port begging... urgh, I don't know how I contained myself.

Só yeah I'll rather stroll here even if it's flooded by Dailey pictures. :p

I wonder if this platform wars bullshit will simmer down in a year or so. I hope so. Gaming side is downright intolerable because of it.

scarlet

I love Sony, hate Vita, love 3DS, wanna buy Wii U, don't wanna buy PS4/XBone at least for a year or two.

I really don't know why people hate Wii U/Nintendo so much in gaming.
Enlighten me please?

daripad

I love Sony, hate Vita, love 3DS, wanna buy Wii U, don't wanna buy PS4/XBone at least for a year or two.

I really don't know why people hate Wii U/Nintendo so much in gaming.
Enlighten me please?

1. Because they make the best games out there but they can't play it because those games are on platforms that they don't want to touch because they are underpowered
2. Because their artstyle is too kiddy for them, they need more "mature" stuff.

Daripad and Rm88 please stay away from the PS4 outsells Wii U thread it's too dangerous pls don't get banned

Are you calling me a Nintendo fanboy?

I'm just a simple person who doesn't try to find the meaning of life or stuff like that. I may not get what you are into but I'm glad you find something like that entertaining.

daripad

No man of course not. It's just that lately Gaming Side has been really terrible and dangerous.

Conzole Warzzz

I love them. Reading those 25+ people fighting because of mere toys is very fun.

Ok, I'm kind of biased because I love Nintendo but I'm not a fanboy at all.

Delio

Gotta book it away from gaming side during a console launch. There are a LOT of opinions flying around coupled with a lot of new people just joining in. I hate when I'm called a nintendo fanboy tho I honestly only really play a few nintendo games lol.

mantidor

Nintendo awakes the most intense passions at the very least. When people hate Nintendo they really hate them. You never saw a "fire Kutaragi" when the PS3 wasn't performing that well. The fact they recieved actual threats is mind boggling. Supporters are just as passionate.

But yeah guys in speedos, they look fine :) specially when they don't look like 12 year Olds :p you know what is a very underrated sport by the gay community?, water polo. Swimming, diving, rugby are very popular but in my opinion water polo is just up there, if not higher.

Grakl

Nintendo awakes the most intense passions at the very least. When people hate Nintendo they really hate them. You never saw a "fire Kutaragi" when the PS3 wasn't performing that well. The fact they recieved actual threats is mind boggling. Supporters are just as passionate.

But yeah guys in speedos, they look fine :) specially when they don't look like 12 year Olds :p you know what is a very underrated sport by the gay community?, water polo. Swimming, diving, rugby are very popular but in my opinion water polo is just up there, if not higher.
I like ping pong.

The hatred toward Nintendo seems to be completely irrational. From reading the gaming forum, it seems like lots of people will never be happy unless Iwata commits seppuku on the next Nintendo direct.

Have you guys played ALBW yet? Its one of the best games in recent memory.

RM8

Nintendo is this company that in the dawn of HD gaming, kicked everyone's butt with a repurposed GameCube. Basically, Nintendo told those people "lol, graphics don't matter" and then proved it. It's easy to see why rabid fanboys would be bitter at Nintendo, especially coming from "the king" PS2 to Wii dominating PS3. Fanboy logic is not really complex or anything :p

Bladenic

The hatred toward Nintendo seems to be completely irrational. From reading the gaming forum, it seems like lots of people will never be happy unless Iwata commits seppuku on the next Nintendo direct.

Have you guys played ALBW yet? Its one of the best games in recent memory.

I'm right before the final dungeon. It's been amazing so far. Probably would give it a 9/10.

gerg

My uni's LGBT society uses "LGBT+", thus recognising all the alternative alternative sexualities, without extending the acronym too far.

That's like four too many. It splits the base.

When Grindr has half the functionality of Hornet, I'd agree. : P

Why do people feel the need to call themselves "gay" just to be a special snowflake? People feel the need to extend the LGBT acronym to be more inclusive of the people who don't neatly fit within it, the same way that the LGBT acronym exists to be inclusive of the people who don't fit within heteronormative conceptions and/or representations of people in general.

I fully agree, I don't even get the need for something like a "pansexual" label, the whole thing gets too confusing and we already have enough problems with straight people confusing sexual orientation with being transgender.

While I am not too clear on the difference between "pansexual" and "bisexual" myself, I believe the former exists for people who do not define their romantic or sexual partners by a gender binary. As such, a bisexual person might refer to their sexual orientation as being "attracted to men and women", whereas a pansexual person would say that they basically fancy "people".

I don't think it is that complex, we know what binds us as a group.

Say that to the lesbians who initially wanted in on the gay rights movement in the 50s (and, as if often the case, bisexual people today).

Alrus

While I am not too clear on the difference between "pansexual" and "bisexual" myself, I believe the former exists for people who do not define their romantic or sexual partners by a gender binary. As such, a bisexual person might refer to their sexual orientation as being "attracted to men and women", whereas a pansexual person would say that they basically fancy "people".

I still don't understand the difference to be honest.

From what I understand, people who identify as pansexual find attractiveness to any not only type or sex but also gender and gender identification. They might like someone make female, m to f trans or f to m trans and anything in between the larger spectrum of gender

Edit: I also like the idea of LGBT+ maybe we can use that in the next thread
Double Edit: excuse if it sounds problematic. Also typing from iPad derpness

Rayis

Basically the difference between bisexual and pansexual people is that pansexual people could be attracted to basically anyone as long as they felt an emotional connection with the person, while bi people are more limited in their attractions, basically it'd be either men and women but liking men more than women or viceversa and they may or may not be attracted to trans people.

At least that's how I understand it

mantidor

From what I understand, people who identify as pansexual find attractiveness to any not only type or sex but also gender and gender identification. They might like someone make female, m to f trans or f to m trans and anything in between the larger spectrum of gender

Edit: I also like the idea of LGBT+ maybe we can use that in the next thread

This is something that I thought it was offensive because is calling trans people not really "women" or "men" but some third sex or something.

gerg

I still don't understand the difference to be honest.

AFAIK, bisexuality more or less presumes a gender binary - people (whether they be cis or transgender) are men or women, and a bisexual person is attracted to both.

Pansexuality rejects that gender binary. The difference may be smaller in practice than in theory.

This is something that I thought it was offensive because is calling trans people not really "women" or "men" but some third sex or something.

Maybe your concern is with how chronos4590 worded it, but I don't think that rejecting the gender binary suggests that.

Thin crust pizza is the only real kind of pizza.

Also, re: pansexuality, I hope it gets to a point where it and bisexuality end up pulling a merger. I'm definitely pansexual, but not in the sense that I'm particularly attracted to trans over cis or anything - I just don't associate attraction with a particular gender, is all.

Now, that being said, does anyone here not exactly understand the genderless aspect of the spectrum? It probably doesn't help that the most vocal supporters are tumblr's worst and not-so-brightest, but I understand transsexuality, but the idea of someone wanting to completely avoid gender as a concept just strikes me as really alien.

Maybe your concern is with how chronos4590 worded it, but I don't think that rejecting the gender binary suggests that.
Now that you guys mention it I see it :x. My wording is off on it. But I think and hope the message was made fairly clear. That regardless of sex or gender they find attraction and love with who ever they find attractive and create a loving bond.

mantidor

Now that you guys mention it I see it :x. My wording is off on it. But I think and hope the message was made fairly clear. That regardless of sex or gender they find attraction and love with who ever they find attractive and create a loving bond.

Oh I didn't mean you were being offensive, more like some trans people can feel offended by it. I personally don't think is offensive but what would I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom