• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm just a simple person who doesn't try to find the meaning of life or stuff like that. I may not get what you are into but I'm glad you find something like that entertaining.

I can't remember who it was, but someone said that death is the core motivator, or lies at the end of all of our reasoning for everything that we do. I don't think that's necessarily true for everyone, but maybe because I'm inclined to think symbolically, or to view the world through the lens of my self-assessment of 'meaning', I identify with that perspective. I think it's maybe a result of taking intuitive leaps, if you vault far enough at the end is always 'death'. The energy that creates a sense of urgency and my reason for expending any effort at all on this course is an awareness that death exists. So presented that way it's kind of like I don't have a choice, maybe. That said the simplest joys are often the best, I think there's a strong danger of seeing the narrative of your life in the vein of some grave importance.

Caladrius

Sticker Star has the best music in the series, plays more like a puzzle adventure game, is one of those rare games these days that doesn't hold your hand and looks amazing in 3D. My GOTY 2012 and still favorite 3DS game <3 It's fun and clever and charming. BTW it outsold the rest of the series in Japan, guess what route future PM games will follow :p

It is a decent game. My problem with it is that it isn't a good Paper Mario game. It removed the ensemble cast, made the battles pointless and removed the more involved overarching plot and extensive world building that made the first two games' Mushroom Kingdom so memorable (something SPM already irked me with, because everything in that one was so damned random and the worlds were outright set up like levels). The game is what it is because it discards most of what was left before.

Paper Mario's already lost me with this game. Whatever comes next is going to have to bring back some of what made the series special before I can care anymore. If it sells, good on them, but it ain't what I signed up for.

RM8

Sticker Star is very strongly gameplay-focused, Miyamoto himself said he wanted to make it as least narrative-driven as possible. I repeat, it's not a RPG. So yes, I can see why this would bother people who liked the more narrative aspect of the first games, but I think it's important to understand this game was never supposed to be like the first two. By the time I finished the desert level... it "clicked" to me and I was hooked. Oh gosh I need to replay it <3 Stupid crippling backlog.

Bladenic

Sticker Star has the best music in the series, plays more like a puzzle adventure game, is one of those rare games these days that doesn't hold your hand and looks amazing in 3D. My GOTY 2012 and still favorite 3DS game <3 It's fun and clever and charming. BTW it outsold the rest of the series in Japan, guess what route future PM games will follow :p

Sales don't mean shit.

But I haven't played SS yet, soon.

Didn't care for SPM much at all though. The first is one of my favorite games ever, and the second isn't far behind.

Caladrius

but I think it's important to understand this game was never supposed to be like the first two.

In terms of story and characters that could have been the case, though in terms of gameplay Sticker Star was originally much closer to the first two games.(You can see that in the first media back from 2010 or so, where it shares the same battle screen, partners and basic mechanics) Miyamoto specifically told them to scrap it and start over because of it.

There's a solid game taken on its own, but I honestly can't look past what it says it is and I don't support the direction they're going in.

daripad

Sticker Star. I'm ready to fight Sticker Star haters, bring it on! :mad:
I loved Sticker Star. The music, the variety in the levels, the clever puzzles, the artstyle, everything was good for me. I would have prefered a level up system for the stickers and stats, but it still was a very fun game with those flaws. Really, I liked it even more than Dark Moon, Drak Moon was my most anticipated game ever, it sold me on a 3DS and resulted on a huge dissapointment (it still was good though).

Too bad I played SS in the worst moment of my life, otherwise I'd be saying more wonders about it.

Oh I used to play Mario Strikers Charged with my cousins a long time ago, I wonder if it still holds up now.

It still holds up, even on single player is fun. The difficulty is just the icing on the cake.

oh boy, too bad he looks kind of short.

Well, who cares, as long as he isn't like 5" 3' or something :p

Come on, is not his fault that his parents gave him those height genes. Me at 5'8' don't feel comfortable with my height, I can't imagine how shorter people feel. I'd prefer shorter guys for hugging :p

I can't remember who it was, but someone said that death is the core motivator, or lies at the end of all of our reasoning for everything that we do. I don't think that's necessarily true for everyone, but maybe because I'm inclined to think symbolically, or to view the world through the lens of my self-assessment of 'meaning', I identify with that perspective. I think it's maybe a result of taking intuitive leaps, if you vault far enough at the end is always 'death'. The energy that creates a sense of urgency and my reason for expending any effort at all on this course is an awareness that death exists. So presented that way it's kind of like I don't have a choice, maybe. That said the simplest joys are often the best, I think there's a strong danger of seeing the narrative of your life in the vein of some grave importance.

I just prefer doing what I think is right for everyone. I don't overthink things unless I'm very interested, and finding meaning to my life isn't one of them. I'd only like to leave something important to the world, though I know I just have a very tiny chance of doing so. Anyway, I'll be happy if people around me feel good with me.

Crayons

Banned
That's the least of my concerns, I have far more "damning clues" pointing in that direction (thank you based Google reverse image search). I'm looking forward to next time he's online when I'll confront him with it, will be fun to see whether he tries to "explain it" (probably with more lies), fesses up, or bails out.

Lies are the worst. This guy I know irl is lying consistently for absolutely no reason at all. And I know he's lying, but I don't feel like confronting him because then he'll just make up more lies.

Caladrius

Really? this 2011 trailer doesn't show anything that didn't make it to the final game.

They had done some major shifts between E3 2010 and 2011.

GoombaPM3DS.PNG

ScreenPM3DS.PNG

Stickers were apparently in by 2010, but whether or not they worked as they did in the final I don't know. The Iwata asks interview mentions the original RPG system being thrown out. http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

The comment about Miyamoto being the one to nudge them into throwing it out is here:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/1

RM8

Ahaha. Well, I can see how it can be particularly frustrating if you wanted a more traditional PM game and then Miyamoto said "Nope [laughs]".

RM8

How dare people compare games within the same series? Ludicrous.
The thing is, a series shouldn't try to ape its first game indefinitely. If IS wanted to move Paper Mario away from the RPG genre, they're free to do it and it's fair to judge the games individually. Another Mario RPG series exists, so I can see why they thought it'd be a good idea to stop the RPG thing.

Caladrius

god damn it Miyamoto

You can also blame him for indirectly causing Lubba. (Of course keeping plot out of the main series is a much more defensible decision.)

Ahaha. Well, I can see how it can be particularly frustrating if you wanted a more traditional PM game and then Miyamoto said "Nope [laughs]".

Fuckin' Chain Chomp and Toad teammates, maaaaaaan.

All things said, If they can find a halfway point between Sticker Star and the first two I'd be willing to give it a go,

I just prefer doing what I think is right for everyone. I don't overthink things unless I'm very interested, and finding meaning to my life isn't one of them. I'd only like to leave something important to the world, though I know I just have a very tiny chance of doing so. Anyway, I'll be happy if people around me feel good with me.

That's a noble ideal. In my experience though death is hard to come to terms with. It's like how when faced with something you really don't want to do, a part of you resists; or like when you're getting a shot a part of you tenses up in anticipation of the needle going in, only much worse. I think we'll always 'flinch', at least in some small way, in the face of death no matter how full our lives were, because it's so profoundly final and incomprehensible, that compulsive or animal part of our mind sees the end of itself and as a reflex sees terror there, even when rationally we know it's not that big of a deal. I don't know what else we can really do to overcome that.

Danny Robert is the hottest guy on the show. I love his belly and OMG dat shower scene O__O

They've apparently already written season 2 and they're currently trying to get the funding. They were on Facebook a few days ago asking people which characters they'd like to see in season 2, so it seems like it might be a done deal at this point
I had the biggest crush on Danny when I was in High School. I sort of saw him as a role model in the sense that he seemed like a completely normal guy who was openly gay, yet he didn't fall into any of the usual stereotypes and I liked that and identified with him.

I used to spend lots of time on his website which had a forum so people could just talk about their lives or whatever. Also I clearly remember my mom telling me I shouldn't be watching The Real World, probably because of him (she's totally cool with it now).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I would :(, it has to be very small though, like borderline 5".

I consider 5" to be my cut off point as well.

I had the biggest crush on Danny when I was in High School. I sort of saw him as a role model in the sense that he seemed like a completely normal guy who was openly gay, yet he didn't fall into any of the usual stereotypes and I liked that and identified with him.

I used to spend lots of time on his website which had a forum so people could just talk about their lives or whatever. Also I clearly remember my mom telling me I shouldn't be watching The Real World, probably because of him (she's totally cool with it now).

I actually had no idea he was from the Real World until I read your post. That's cool that he served as your role model (and I imagine a lot of other people's as well). He seemed like a cool guy on DTLA despite the fact that he was obviously playing a character.

I consider 5" to be my cut off point as well.

I actually had no idea he was from the Real World until I read your post. That's cool that he served as your role model (and I imagine a lot of other people's as well). He seemed like a cool guy on DTLA despite the fact that he was obviously playing a character.

From what I hear, he was playing one on Real World as well.

Bladenic

The thing is, a series shouldn't try to ape its first game indefinitely. If IS wanted to move Paper Mario away from the RPG genre, they're free to do it and it's fair to judge the games individually. Another Mario RPG series exists, so I can see why they thought it'd be a good idea to stop the RPG thing.

Too bad Paper Mario and TTYD are better than any Mario and Luigi game. And I like that series too. Oh well.

Prompto

Banned
He's just a huge asshole (and got the nickname Dustin Lance BareBlack). West Hollywood is a small community, and he's known to be a huuuuuuge asshole and also pickup small barely legal kids like Tom.
Yikes he does sound gross. I guess that Oscar went to his head.

Sibylus

Banned
Thin crust pizza is the only real kind of pizza.

Also, re: pansexuality, I hope it gets to a point where it and bisexuality end up pulling a merger. I'm definitely pansexual, but not in the sense that I'm particularly attracted to trans over cis or anything - I just don't associate attraction with a particular gender, is all.

Now, that being said, does anyone here not exactly understand the genderless aspect of the spectrum? It probably doesn't help that the most vocal supporters are tumblr's worst and not-so-brightest, but I understand transsexuality, but the idea of someone wanting to completely avoid gender as a concept just strikes me as really alien.
This is more or less my thoughts as well, mybi (TM).

Alrus

No, another one that's asking GAF for help and then the OP shows pictures of his mouth asking if it's a pimple or herpes and it turns out it's herpes and yeah.

Cold sores aren't really STD, and there a ~85% chance you're already carrying the virus anyway.

How come I never saw this adorable actor before? Apparently he's a gamer, he likes to show off his butt, and he talks about guy on guy action: Will Forte (YouTube interview, SFW)

Saw him first in a hilarious Conan segment today (where he looked significantly older than the above video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom