• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

what is bizarre about the roster? Some may say WiiFit trainer but that is no bizarre at all, is one of Nintendo biggest franchises.

To quote Neiteio from the Smash Thread:

I never would have guessed Villager since Sakurai had previously dismissed him as ineligible. I never would have guessed Wii Fit Trainer for the same reasons no one on the Internet guessed Wii Fit Trainer. I never would have realistically guessed Mega Man, given his prolonged absence at Capcom. And I never would have guessed Rosalina let alone Rosalina & Luma, reasoning that there are already enough core and "extended universe" Mario characters.

Also on the subject of Rosalina: If they hadn't brought her back from her 3 year absence from the main series in 3D World Rosalina would have been dismissed as unlikely. The Luma tagging along also wasn't expected even from her supporters, and her detractors assumed she would probably be a Peach Clone.

Related

kirbxou3s.gif

I main Peach because it's fun playing as a floaty pink princess that throws turnips in a fighting game. If not for her I'd main someone more boring like Marth.

RM8

I'm all over the place.

KOF: King, Joe, Hwa Jai
Street Fighter: Makoto, Rose, Dan, Yang
DOA: Eliot, La Mariposa
Tekken: Kuma, Xiaoyu, Wang
Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang, Jade
SSB: Kirby, Luigi, (Doctor) Mario, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Peach

I like simple designs, funny designs and/or cute designs :p

As a rule, though, if Toad is in the game, I'm playing Toad. No exceptions.

I'm all over the place.

KOF: King, Joe, Hwa Jai
Street Fighter: Makoto, Rose, Dan, Yang
DOA: Eliot, La Mariposa
Tekken: Kuma, Xiaoyu, Wang
Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang, Jade
SSB: Kirby, Luigi, (Doctor) Mario, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Peach

I like simple designs, funny designs and/or cute designs :p

As a rule, though, if Toad is in the game, I'm playing Toad. No exceptions

So you like to play with things with a mushroom head.

RM8

They're awesome. They're a mix of my two favorite genres: platformers and fighters. I'm going to own you all so hard when it comes out :D

Rayis

Same here! I don't know why but I just enjoy playing as female characters more.

That makes us three~,female characters are just better, they are usually cuter (Main reason for choosing characters for me is usually cuteness factor) than males and have play styles I like more.

Rosalina is definitely becoming a main of mine in Smash, along with Jigglypuff.

This thread has become a segregated and random gaming discussion thread; I swear every time I came in here to check what's going on in the past several weeks it's been about games. No wonder a lot of former posters stopped posting here; myself included.

Mr_Zombie

This thread has become a segregated and random gaming discussion thread; I swear every time I came in here to check what's going on in the past several weeks it's been about games. No wonder a lot of former posters stopped posting here; myself included.

Oh c'mon. It's a gaming forum after all so it's obvious that once in a while people will discuss their hobby, i.e. video games. And gaming discussions usually last rather shortly and aren't that often.

Sai-kun

Banned

these kinds of posts are just so
residentsleeper.png
zzzzzzz

we talk about everything else, why wouldn't we talk about games?

Mr. F

Banned

Talk of games after a newsworthy video stream, on GAF of all places. Makes me sick.

Conversations not based upon beards or sex exist from time to time, believe it.

Spree

Really? The weird ugly anime elf guy is hot? C'mon sons.

I was looking for a pic to prove you wrong when I realized you're right, Link isn't really that hot. I still love him tho! Also, reminded me of this, been a while since I've drawn anything...

I know that feel :( But I don't see him coming back, brah.

Nooo D: @Sai-kun, Same here

we talk about everything else, why wouldn't we talk about games?

and this

bsej87

Please start another discussion about beards and how they feel while you rim some random guy. It's too bad it got shutdown because everyone told you it wasn't a worthwhile topic because it didn't fit their view of what this thread is about and you never got to talk about it again.

Bladenic

A lot of people on my FB are defending that Duck Dynasty guy. It's taking all of me to not respond. I'm from WV so it's no surprise.

i only stopped because everything got moved to community. all i wanted was Gaming and OT. so many tabs trying to follow.

Caladrius

It's just some idiot redneck with a TV show.

When said idiots get national attention there's a problem.

As stupid as it is, the people in our media become faces of the public. People will rally behind them if they identify with them. The person they're rallying behind fuels their beliefs by echoing and validating their sentiment. I wish it didn't have to be, but it's a problem that has to be faced. Winning our rights going forward is all about mindshare.

Dany

Banned
Talking about games in the gay thread on a gaming forum.

We should be ashamed. Let's all just talk about sex, sex and perhaps more sex?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was looking for a pic to prove you wrong when I realized you're right, Link isn't really that hot. I still love him tho!

A lot of people on my FB are defending that Duck Dynasty guy. It's taking all of me to not respond. I'm from WV so it's no surprise.

Meh. He should be able to say whatever he wants and if people don't like it, then they should avoid his show.

Talking about games in the gay thread on a gaming forum.

We should be ashamed. Let's all just talk about sex, sex and perhaps more sex?

So because this is a videogame forum, we should just talk about games in every thread regardless of what the topic actually is?

Crayons

Banned
I've been abusing alcohol and marijuana
in my dreams
, so I looked up the interpretation.

To dream that you are consuming alcohol in excess signifies feelings of inadequacy, worries, regrets and fears of being discovered for who you really are

jHZZlrt.gif

I always godmod in my dreams. That is, any problems (such as robbers / etc) just involve me teleporting over and killing them with a single touch. What does that mean?

Dream interpretations mean nothing.

I'm boring I know

I think it's more that our unconscious symbolism may or may not be consistent with other people, or with 'consensus', on any given matter or at any degree of depth. Everyone is going to have a unique 'internal symbolic language'. That doesn't necessarily mean that common interpretations of dream symbolism don't ever apply, though. Some symbols may be relatively consistent, say for example the sensation of 'drowning' and of being overwhelmed are pretty similar, and this is reflected in common speech or turns of phrase.

Though even if you take that at face value or infer from that the farthest possible conclusion, a person could still dream of drowning without being overwhelmed by any other thing in their life, symbolism isn't obligatory and "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". The way of interpreting any symbol is always by introspection and seeing if the supposed meaning applies in this instance or not. It calls for a particular kind of awareness into our own conditions or internal state which is ultimately the decider if there is any meaning at all, viewed that way a symbol becomes a really small thing, a passing thought that may or may not mean anything until investigated for what it is. Common 'dream symbols' can perhaps help at one time, and be a hindrance in another.

Caladrius

My dreams usually end before I'm killed by whatever bizarre thing has decided to murder me. I take it to mean that I'm extremely paranoid.

Thankfully I don't dream often.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No, but it's inevitable because it's a video game forum, so don't act like it's some strange concept.

Inevitable every now and then, maybe, but I think people should try to exercise a bit more restraint so it doesn't become too common a phenomena.
I realize that I'm the one who started the latest game discussion derail, but Naked Snake does have a point - there has been a lot of game discussion lately (perhaps due to the new console launches/major game releases, perhaps due to the fact that the there are nearly 20,000 posts in the thread, so things are winding down and people don't have a whole lot else to talk about), and I think it's something worth acknowledging is all.

It's not like there's any real topic for this thread other than sometimes talking about (and relating things to) gay stuff.

True, but wasn't the OG gay thread locked because the discussion was all over the place? An insular megathread chatroom or whatever? What if a mod sees this and decided to shut us down? ;__;

I think the thread being both overly topical and overly off-topic presents problems. Just relationship talk isn't amenable to people not in or not interested in romantic relationships, which isn't a matter inherently bound to sexual or gender identities. Likewise with sex. Considering the makeup of this thread that would end up primarily being gay sex which would be pretty boring to a lot of people that aren't gay men or particularly interested in discussing that. If this thread is supposed to be inclusive, with an inherent inability to account for everyone's preferences, allowing topics of discussion which are likely to be common ground among a lot of people here probably makes more people feel welcome. But it can't just be off-topic discussion or it has no right being considered the LGBT thread either.

I'm not trying to speak for the mods or anything, but it's really not hard to come up with a justification for this thread following the form that it does.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not trying to speak for the mods or anything, but it's really not hard to come up with a justification for this thread following the form that it does.

Sure, and I also think that people who don't like the current topic (i.e. videogame discussion) should feel free to bring up a topic that they do want to discuss or see discussed. Everyone is just as responsible as everyone else when it comes to choosing the discussions/topics, and staying away from the thread because you don't like the topic at hand or don't have anything to contribute (Mr. F and Naked Snake I'm looking at you! >:O) doesn't help anything. Also, we can have more than one discussion at a time, so technically people can discuss games and gay issues at the same time!

The last thread was shut down because it got too risqué with pic posting and stuff.

I meant the "We're Here! We're Queer!" thread. That was a few years ago though, so I don't know if the "No Megathread/Chatroom/Free For All" initiative is still in effect.

Mumei

That's a nice thought, but the mods were cracking down on just that a while back, so maybe we should be a bit more careful. Maybe Mumei can clarify?

Maaaybe.

I suppose the easiest way to explain this would be to say that we're fine with this topic having "general discussion," but there is a caveat. We want posters to make topics in OT for LGB news that are big enough to deserve their own topic. We want posters to participate in threads that exist in the OT (or Gaming Side), and to feel free to make topics about things. Essentially, what we don't want is for each community thread to become an island unto itself, completely disconnected from the rest of the forum - except when members of that community want to complain amongst themselves about the larger forum or about a particular topic. We don't want to see things go into this negative spiral where "Good posters don't like the way a discussion is going -> They choose not to participate and discuss it within a community thread -> The discussion gets worse -> More posters refrain from discussing it (except to talk about it in the community thread) -> The discussion gets worse" and so forth.

And for what it's worth, we are a more forceful on the "stay on topic" issue for communities centered around something more narrowly construed, like communities centered around certain kinds of music or games, as opposed to communities centered around people with a certain identity affiliation (e.g. gay, trans, woman, black). I don't think we could reasonably expect people in the girl's topic to just talk about being girls all the time, or black people to just talk about being black all the time. We just want to strike something of a balance between participation in relevant threads in the larger forum and the ability to have those discussions within whatever community threads you participate in, as well.

RM8

I also think that people who don't like the current topic (i.e. videogame discussion) should feel free to bring up a topic that they do want to discuss or see discussed.
IMO it all comes down to this. Spark a conversation you want to have, it's so pointless to whine that other people aren't talking about stuff you care about. We just went through two console launches, a Nintendo Direct, GOTY awards being given, etc. - it's kind of understandable that this thread would get a bit more game-ish than usual. Because, shocking as it is, plenty of us joined GAF because of gaming :p Plus people were discussing about Link being hot or not, and about female characters vs. male characters.

My dreams usually end before I'm killed by whatever bizarre thing has decided to murder me. I take it to mean that I'm extremely paranoid.

Thankfully I don't dream often.

Maybe I'm just an asshole and boot you from dreams by killing you.

Dreams need to become a F2P online game already, dammit.

Caladrius

Maybe I'm just an asshole and boot you from dreams by killing you.

Dreams need to become a F2P online game already, dammit.

So you took the form of a talking head with blank white eyes and an exposed brain, sitting on a base in my room and set to explode after a period of time, taunting me as I desperately tried to throw you out the house, after finally detonating safely, you then regrew from the base in my room and started the process over again until I died?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom