• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean Desolation of Smaug? But everyone said that one was actually good. :/
Yes!!!!! I must confess I've never been a huge LOTR fan, The Fellowship of the Ring bored me to death while I enjoyed The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

I was prepared to be bored by The Hobbit but surprisingly I liked it a lot. In contrast, by the end of Desolation of Smaug I felt like:

ibiNrPptZanlCq.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Yes!!!!! I must confess I've never been a huge LOTR fan, The Fellowship of the Ring bored me to death while I enjoyed The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

I was prepared to be bored by The Hobbit but surprisingly I liked it a lot. In contrast, by the end of Desolation of Smaug I felt like:
Hold me back.

HOLD

ME

BACK

RM8

I've never watched a LOTR movie and I'm terrified of them since they seem to be super long and... uh, not instantly satisfying :p Same with Harry Potter. At some point these series become so overwhelming that trying to get into them becomes unappealing.

Mr. F

Banned
I've never watched a LOTR movie and I'm terrified of them since they seem to be super long and... uh, not instantly satisfying :p Same with Harry Potter. At some point these series become so overwhelming that trying to get into them becomes unappealing.

LOTR and HP is an apples and oranges comparison. As far as overwhelming points of entry goes, LOTR doesn't demand much, just a trilogy (yeah yeah they're long) vs. HP's 8 movies or whatever. Definitely worth a watch though if you're a fan of the genre. Even more entertaining are the extensive making of documentaries for each LOTR film, I geek out so hard for that stuff.

Hobbit has been underwhelming so far (have yet to see part 2) but the main trilogy was Jackson at his best.

scarlet

it's still the 30th.

Timezones. Scar lives in the Eastern hemisphere.

Tee hee

Edit: Somehow 'Scar' make me so badass lol

Hold me back.

HOLD

ME

BACK

LOTR dan Harry Potter is a kind of movie that you need to watch once in a lifetime and done.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
LOTR doesn't demand much, just a trilogy (yeah yeah they're long) vs. HP's 8 movies or whatever. Definitely worth a watch though if you're a fan of the genre.

Even as someone who holds a strong dislike of practically everything in the fantasy genre, the main LOTR trilogy was still very enjoyable and engrossing. Zero interest in seeing the Hobbit movies, though; after about twelve hours of Middle Earth, it's just... enough already.

I think the Harry Potter movies are much easier to enjoy, since each one can stand of it's own. Obviously there is a recurring plotline that ties all the films together but that's it.

Sibylus

Banned
I've honestly lost track of how many times I've rewatched the rings movies. So special ;o;

Gotta watch 'em there and back again, or not at all. Not great as standalone movies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Forget the movies. The Hobbit is literally a short-read. I read it within a week during Middle School. Just read that over the two (er-"three") movies they're doing on it.

Now, that said: It took me ALL of high-school to finish Lord of the Rings (mostly because of Tolkiens droning writing on EVERYTHING in a scene. Literally chewing the goddamn world up and spitting it out in long pieces, oy.) and you can safely ignore the book and just go into the movies (probably Extended Editions though I guess the standards work if you haven't read the books) completely blind and get the same story in FARRRRRRR less time and with a few less songs and descriptions (though Frodo's bar song is still the highlight of the trilogy for me).

bsej87

It's fantasy. Someone is super evil and then someone else is born unto destiny to smite thine wretched power with Chekhov's Gun.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'll be working as everyone is partying their asses off.
I'm deployed, don't think I'll be doing much partying on my 12-16 hour shifts. I didn't have Christmas or Thanksgiving either.

Cheer up! It could be WAY worse. That goes for me too.

I miss alcohol sooooo much. :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm deployed, don't think I'll be doing much partying on my 12-16 hour shifts. I didn't have Christmas or Thanksgiving either.

Cheer up! It could be WAY worse. That goes for me too.

I miss alcohol sooooo much. :(

I dont drink alcohol that much so its not a problem but I prefer sleeping safe at my house than be working on an area where fireworks and gunshots will be going for 1 hour or so as I am on a small ass office on plain sight to anyone outside of the place. Also the check sucks as its 7.25 per hour and only work 5 hours. Lol

My dog will be displeased with lots of mysterious loud sounds tonight so I'll be staying up with him until 1:30am probably. This is the main thing I do for most celebrations.

I sent a friend request to a 'daripad' fellow for Wii U.

Mr_Zombie

Forget the movies. The Hobbit is literally a short-read. I read it within a week during Middle School. Just read that over the two (er-"three") movies they're doing on it.

I still don't understand how they converted a short story into a three almost 3-hours "epic" movies. I know that they added a lot of things from Tolkien's notes, but nothing that was added to the first movie felt essential story wise or even world-building wise; it was all padding.

LOTR is instantly satisfying. ;) The movies are long, sure, but each movie is good on its own, has good story, interesting cast and fascinating world and visuals. And, as TheSeks mentioned, at least they are devoid of Tolkien describing every-fucking-thing (environment and items) in details. I loved the trilogy, but I would lie if I said that the books didn't bore me sometimes.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, I think it's better to read books than watch movies. Movies are fine when it comes to visuals, but that's it. A lot were lost during the translation from books to movies: story (especially some sub-plots), character relationships, world building. To be honest, when I watched those movies (I stopped at the fifth one) I wondered if someone who have never read those books could even fully understand what was happening, because a lot of essential events or dialogues didn't even make it to the movies.

daripad

I don't work so I'm free for New Year's Eve.

Sagitario you were right, 3D World is insanely awesome I've had a lot of fun with it.

Rm88, LOTR is not a typical trilogy. There are lots of interesting things in each book/movie and they are very well done (specially the books, I love how they are written).

And my dog is pregnant and the little babies will be ready one of these days, I hope they are tomorrow.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
At first I thought it was just "people been people", but through the years and dozens of similar situations I started wondering if the problem was just me. And in this cases it was just me trying to make friends since I don't have many. But I guess calling/texting someone to just ask "hey, how are you?" is seen as too desperate.

I think that this is actually more common than you might imagine.

I remember having a conversation with a couple of my mates a while back and they were telling me about guys that they had been dating for months who then just stopped responding to phone calls, text messages, Facebook - whatever. This happened completely out of the blue by all accounts.

This sounded really odd to me, but I've had similar conversations with different folk who've all had similar experiences of boyfriends, girlfriends or just plain-ole' friends seemingly dropping off the face of the earth. Since then I've recently experienced the same thing with a couple of friends (well, former friends I suppose) of mine. I also recently met a guy who has a habit of only replying to texts weeks after he receives them.

There's not much you can do about it, other than move on and make sure that you don't invest any more time into a dead-end. Don't give up though! Friendships are the best thing in the world, but they take work and investment from both parties.

On the other hand, I've been told that I'm not very good with texts myself. We have a bunch of new people join our office at work every year, and over the past few months people have asked if they've upset me because I haven't responded to a message or I sound pretty pissed off when I do. I'm not pissed off - I'm just not very good at responding to the "how are you?" type messages. That, and I don't put kisses at the end, which is also a major faux-pas apparently.

I still don't understand how they converted a short story into a three almost 3-hours "epic" movies. I know that they added a lot of things from Tolkien's notes, but nothing that was added to the first movie felt essential story wise or even world-building wise; it was all padding.

I haven't read The Hobbit since I was a kid, but this was pretty apparent to me too. I wouldn't mind if they decided to spread the story out over three 90 minute movies, but trying to stretch it over three long films kills the thing.

They're worth watching to see Ian McKellan though; he pretty much carries both films.

I haven't seen any LotR movies either. The only classic series of movies (that aren't straight-up horror films) that I've seen in their entirety are the Matrix ones, the Alien Quadrilogy, and... I think that's about it. I've seen one-offs like Fight Club and all of that, but stuff like Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. is gonna have to wait. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Bladenic

2013 has been the worst year of my life, undoubtedly. But it's all behind me, the past month has been awesome and I'm looking forward to 2014!

Kater

Banned
I just had some Ben & Jerry Ice Cream myself, so delicious.
I have no need for sad songs at the moment though or else I'll become depressed again.

^ 2013 was a great year of videogame releases though!

RM8

2014 is going to be interesting because I'll quit my job, work hardcore on my thesis, and pursue a completely different career. I understand I can fall flat on my face, but I'm determined to do it :p I may start dating again. Maybe. I hardly ever feel motivated to date, is that normal? I'm truly an old man in the body of a mid twenties guy.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got a job this year and got my new laptop and tons of games. Can't really complain much about this year.

Masamuna

The first half of the year was pretty bad, but some of those trials brought about something better in the long run. I'm a little healthier, I've become more financially responsible, my job has improved and I got engaged (plus he finally got his GED and is going back to school soon). I can wait to see what next year has in store.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
but stuff like Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. is gonna have to wait. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Fuck Hairy Potter and the Star Wars prequels, but seriously bro, you must watch the original SW films. They're so iconic and ingrained in the popular culture - I can't imagine anyone not having seen them.

(plus he finally got his GED and is going back to school soon)

:3 What will he be studying?

Sai-kun

Banned
Because everyone and their father is here. It's been an hour and half. Good thing I brought my iPad.

Binny's is gonna be a shit show. I have to leave the house to go to my mom's around 5:30, will you be back before then? Cuz we should go (cuz they probably close early too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom