• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

How did you come out the first time? Is it possible she misunderstood or thinks you're bi?

I asked if I could make an appointment with the therapist I used to see (middle school.... was a bad time for me, filled with violence, suicide attempts, and tween angst), which kinda surprised her cause I had been fine the past few years. After going to that appointment, I sat down with her and told her. She said she wasn't surprised (we have a bunch of gay people on both sides of the family), and that she loved me and would support whatever I decided.

I had all of 1 girlfriend in High school (the token "your a senior, time to date a freshmen" relationship) that lasted all of 5 weeks, and we never talked about my (non-existant) romance life while I was away at college.

I asked if I could make an appointment with the therapist I used to see (middle school.... was a bad time for me, filled with violence, suicide attempts, and tween angst), which kinda surprised her cause I had been fine the past few years. After going to that appointment, I sat down with her and told her. She said she wasn't surprised (we have a bunch of gay people on both sides of the family), and that she loved me and would support whatever I decided.

I had all of 1 girlfriend in High school (the token "your a senior, time to date a freshmen" relationship) that lasted all of 5 weeks, and we never talked about my (non-existant) romance life while I was away at college.

Maybe she figures youre not gay afterall since shes never seen you with another dude? And/or you never brought the subject up since middle school?

_Isaac

All this shota talk.....

Anyway, I have a dumb problem. I came out to my mom when I was 18, and she was fine with it, but neither of us made a big deal about it. I'm 25 now, and have been living back home for the last year, and she has been bugging me non-stop about going out and getting a girlfriend, ect. And I don't think she is joking around with me- she is serieous.

How the fuck do I come out to her a second time? I don't want to embarrass either of us, but I also have a feeling that she just didn't believe me the first time.

I had to come out like three times for similar reasons. Don't do it. Just say "Mhm. Cool." and that's it. The constant awkwardness and effort of coming out repeatedly is not worth it really unless she's truly THAT annoying.

So yeah, looks like my Mom finally let it out all out today. And not in a good way. She says that ever since I told her she hasn't "felt happiness in her heart again" and she thinks I'm some kind of weird, anti-social spycho now. I feel bad, but I also feel pissed off. She said "You don't understand, imagine if you saw some lesbians kissing or some "Faggots" (She literary used the Spanish equivalent to faggot) kissing in the streets." She even threw in "You kids today see it as some kind of fashion." I wasn't even hurt, I was fucking mad. I told her there's nothing wrong with me and she said "There is! This thing that's happening to you means there's something wrong with you."
Even if she's my Mom, I'm really fucking mad. If these are the kind of people that would "Support" me, then thanks but no thanks. I can do this shit on my own, I'm not some fucking monster. She even said that I told her that I was gay just to kill her. I'm not telling my Family, they don't need to now, they're stuck in the fucking past by the looks of it. I'm done with this shit.

Sorry for the vent guys, but what else am I supposed to feel?

_Isaac

So yeah, looks like my Mom finally let it out all out today. And not in a good way. She says that ever since I told her she hasn't "felt happiness in her heart again" and she thinks I'm some kind of weird, anti-social spycho now. I feel bad, but I also feel pissed off. She said "You don't understand, imagine if you saw some lesbians kissing or some "Faggots" (She literary used the Spanish equivalent to faggot) kissing in the streets." She even threw in "You kids today see it as some kind of fashion." I wasn't even hurt, I was fucking mad. I told her there's nothing wrong with me and she said "There is! This thing that's happening to you means there's something wrong with you."
Even if she's my Mom, I'm really fucking mad. If these are the kind of people that would "Support" me, then thanks but no thanks. I can do this shit on my own, I'm not some fucking monster. She even said that I told her that I was gay just to kill her. I'm not telling my Family, they don't need to now, they're stuck in the fucking past by the looks of it. I'm done with this shit.

Why did you tell them in the first place?

royalan

You shouldn't feel bad.

But you have every right to feel pissed off.

A sizable chunk of my family didn't take too kindly to me being gay. To this day the most cathartic thing I've ever done for myself was embracing the anger I felt and realizing that I deserved to be embraced and respected, and that if that wasn't going to come from my family, then they didn't deserve my respect.

I know that sounds hostile, but too often I find that gays coming out to their family keep themselves submerged in hurt because of this false idea that you have to be infinitely understanding of your family's bigotry. You don't.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

How did your mom manage to make your coming out be about her? That's horrible. I'm sorry, I hope she comes around.

_Isaac

You shouldn't feel bad.

A sizable chunk of my family didn't take too kindly to me being gay. To this day the most cathartic thing I've ever done for myself was embracing the anger I felt and realizing that I deserved to be embraced and respected, and that if that wasn't going to come from my family, then they didn't deserve my respect.

I know that sounds hostile, but too often I find that gays coming out to their family keep themselves submerged in hurt because of this false idea that you have to be infinitely understanding of your family's bigotry. You don't.

It depends on YoungBlade's living situation. How disrespectful do you suggest he should be if he's still living with his parents.

royalan

It depends on YoungBlade's living situation. How disrespectful do you suggest he should be if he's still living with his parents.

That is true.

But at the same time, I wouldn't call it disrespectful if they're the ones not respecting him.

You shouldn't feel bad.

You're absolutely right, and I think we do have to totally embrace our feelings whatever they are. But I also think it's foolish to invite those feelings or to adopt them as a reflex. If they're there, cool, but if not there's really no need to go looking for them. There's a middle ground between cutting people off and making yourself a martyr, both are likely a waste. Though I'm talking more about the family you might have a reason to care about. You don't know when people might come around, and if you're still the same person or even morally better than you used to be then it kind of weakens their argument because the quality of your character or whatever is evident by example. But yeah it would be ridiculous to subject yourself to abuse just because they're 'family' or whatever, no one benefits from that.

I know I come off as an Asshole, and I told my Mom because she did not ever say bad things about Homosexuality, or acted groosed out by it. I thought she was really open minded, but I guess not. I know I shouldn't be disrespectful, I know I owe them a lot, but I really regret telling her. In the end, I just told her that there's nothing wrong with me, that I'm not crazy or anti-social, and that I'm not trying to kill her.

RM8

That's why I personally advice to come out WHEN you're an adult, IF you want to, ONLY to people you trust a ton. There's this idea that you -have to-, especially to your parents. Parents are people before being parents, and people are often stupid, hateful and ignorant (not aimed at YoungBlade's mom).

BTW YoungBlade, ¿de dónde eres? Which was the word she used? I can think of at least 3 Spanish alternatives for the F word.

Dead Man

Oh crap, so sorry YoungBlade. Fee free to rant. Yeah, you should not feel guilty at all. Being angry at that reponse is normal, it's not what anyone should have to hear.

*hugs*

Opiate

Good luck Yak. As a representative of straight-mod GAF (we are a relatively small community, I admit), you have our support.

Mr_Zombie

I think that's ultimately what's going to happen. I can either continue seeing him here and there, ignoring his homophobic comments, or cut him out all together. It's sad, but he's old and not likely to change, given his upbringing and general environment (rural Arkansas). I'm lucky that my mother and two sisters are completely loving and supportive and just generally cool. I can be myself with them. It just saddens me that my father is that way, but I look on the bright side, that I have family that is accepting. Some folks, some of you even, may not have that. I shall count my blessings. Thanks again for the words of advice.

Sorry to hear that. I know it's easier said than done, but if you've already accepted that he won't accept you as a gay and it just his comments that make you angry, can't you just outright tell him that you understand his views but don't want to hear them? No need to say that you're gay, just say that you're a liberal guy or that you have gay friends and won't tolerate such comments. After all, you don't have to be black to negatively react to racist comments, or don't have to be female to find sexist comments annoying.

Also, you've said that neither your mom nor your sister have good relations with your father, so are you the only one who still keep in contact with him? If so, maybe try to "blackmail" him and tell him that if he won't stop spouting his homophobic comments when you're near you will simply stop visiting him. Move the burden on him and make him decide what's more important to him: spending time with his son or his views on gay. After all being abandoned by your family sucks so maybe the threat of being alone make him break.

Dead Man

Sorry to hear that. I know it's easier said than done, but if you've already accepted that he won't accept you as a gay and it just his comments that make you angry, can't you just outright tell him that you understand his views but don't want to hear them? No need to say that you're gay, just say that you're a liberal guy or that you have gay friends and won't tolerate such comments. After all, you don't have to be black to negatively react to racist comments, or don't have to be female to find sexist comments annoying.

Also, you've said that neither your mom nor your sister have good relations with your father, so are you the only one who still keep in contact with him? If so, maybe try to "blackmail" him and tell him that if he won't stop spouting his homophobic comments when you're near you will simply stop visiting him. Move the burden on him and make him decide what's more important to him: spending time with his son or his views on gay. After all being abandoned by your family sucks so maybe the threat of being alone make him break.

Yeah, I think Yak's best course is to say something, since saying nothing is already horrible.

Good luck Yak.

*hugs* for you too.

Good luck Yak. As a representative of straight-mod GAF (we are a relatively small community, I admit), you have our support.

:) Heh.

-TRN-

Hey guys (and girls)!

Do you think 'poking' someone you don't know personally on facebook is... appropriate? If you were poked by someone you don't know, would you think it's weird? My profile does have a picture and all so the other person would know I'm not a fake, at least :p. I guess what I mean is: is it common to poke someone you don't know?

Menaged

Wow, I'm really surprised to be honest. After what you wrote about her before coming out, it seemed like things will go quite smoothly.
It must sucks having to deal with something like that and I really have nothing to say. I'm quite shocked when I read about stuff like that, and quite sad especialy since you still have to live with them...

Holmes

I came out to my parents near the end of Christmas break a few months ago (on New Years Eve). I did get the whole "how could you do this to me"/"my feelings are so hurt" etc but things went well for the next few days. Then the last day of the break, my mother and I were alone in the car and she did confront me about it... "I'm not proud of that", "I feel like crying all day" etc etc, and I didn't want to deal with it so I just fled to my bedroom and didn't leave all night. I know it was cowardly. And for the next month and a half, she didn't call or email unless she really had to, and didn't say "I love you" for a long time.

Now it's better, but... I dunno. She calls me every 12 hours again, asks me what "we've been up to" (my boyfriend and I) or what our plans are. But I dunno. She said she never wanted to meet him when I came out, and now she's acting all friendly as if that all never happened, but I feel like it's unresolved.

I know what you're going through, YoungBlade (a lot of us do), so just know that we're here for you!

Do you think 'poking' someone you don't know personally on facebook is... appropriate?
I find it weird.

daripad

So this means that we have to be prepared the moment we come out. With that said, stop seeing your parents seems like the only alternative of they won't accept you. Sounds horrible but that's the only thing we can do.

No, man. You're not wrong for venting at all. Holy fuck. Hopefully she'll come around soon. Its her who needs help.

Trigger

Hey guys (and girls)!

Do you think 'poking' someone you don't know personally on facebook is... appropriate? If you were poked by someone you don't know, would you think it's weird? My profile does have a picture and all so the other person would know I'm not a fake, at least :p. I guess what I mean is: is it common to poke someone you don't know?

No, I'd find it weird if I don't know the person.

xxczx

Hey guys (and girls)!

I didn't know people still used the poke thing on Facebook.

BeesEight

Don't apologize for venting, that's what this place is for!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't you tell your mom recently? It's absolutely deplorable but one thing I've learned is that parents often have a silly tendency to turn this around and make this an issue about them. It's ridiculous and it's stupid and they aren't even aware of the harm they're doing.

This could just be your mother going through the stages of grief. I don't remember where I first heard it, but someone likened to their child coming out as gay as the death of the person they knew. A bit extreme, but the idea they have of you and their vision for your future is (in their mind) completely destroyed when you tell them you're not who they think you are. The ironic thing is that they're the ones driving the wedge between their kids and themselves and they don't even know it.

You have every right to be angry and you should be. I want to say that your mother will come around but there's nothing you can do about it at this moment. The gulf has been made and it's her responsibility to try and bridge it (and apologize I hope).

I am sorry that you have to go through this. Sometimes even the most supportive people in your life will let you down. The important thing is to focus on your own happiness and well-being and know that there are people who won't hate you for who you are.

I came out to my parents near the end of Christmas break a few months ago (on New Years Eve). I did get the whole "how could you do this to me"/"my feelings are so hurt" etc but things went well for the next few days. Then the last day of the break, my mother and I were alone in the car and she did confront me about it... "I'm not proud of that", "I feel like crying all day" etc etc, and I didn't want to deal with it so I just fled to my bedroom and didn't leave all night. I know it was cowardly. And for the next month and a half, she didn't call or email unless she really had to, and didn't say "I love you" for a long time.

Now it's better, but... I dunno. She calls me every 12 hours again, asks me what "we've been up to" (my boyfriend and I) or what our plans are. But I dunno. She said she never wanted to meet him when I came out, and now she's acting all friendly as if that all never happened, but I feel like it's unresolved.

I know what you're going through, YoungBlade (a lot of us do), so just know that we're here for you!

Yeah, I have a liberal mother who just did not take it well. It's still an unspoken sticking point between us. Wish I had some advice for it but every situation is different and there's only so much we can do on our end.

I do get the constant "when are you going to bring a girl home" comments but I just ignore them now.

Alcoori

I'm sorry this isn't going as smoothly as you would want to. You have every right to be pissed off and you should definitely not let yourself be walked all over.
I think you can be firm with her (as it seems you were) and tell her that you love her but will not take the abuse and will not tolerate her making it about herself. You are gay, you are still the same person and that's that. If she has a hard time dealing with it it's on her and not on you.

Diseased Yak said:
I think that's ultimately what's going to happen. I can either continue seeing him here and there, ignoring his homophobic comments, or cut him out all together. It's sad, but he's old and not likely to change, given his upbringing and general environment (rural Arkansas). I'm lucky that my mother and two sisters are completely loving and supportive and just generally cool. I can be myself with them. It just saddens me that my father is that way, but I look on the bright side, that I have family that is accepting. Some folks, some of you even, may not have that. I shall count my blessings. Thanks again for the words of advice.

It is a sad situation. You know you might love your family but you don't have to like them. Part of growing up and being an adult is realizing your parents are just normal human beings with their own flaws and sometimes you just do not get along. Seems like you dad has a history of being verbally abusive from what you told us so sadly it's not too surprising he's being a dick.
I think that it's great you've tried to reconnect and spend time with him. I think you might have to have a discussion with him. Sit him down and tell him that his comments are hateful and hurtful and that although you love him because he's your dad, if he keeps spewing them at you then you are just not going to bother with spending time with him.
I don't think there's anything wrong about cutting an abusive family member out of your life. It's certainly sad but sometimes one's own self well-being is more important than some abstract loyalty to that family member.

Thank you so much for the responses guys, you are all awesome. I was and still am mad, but if what she says about feeling really sad is true, then I really want to do something to stop it, I don't think that'll happen tho.
Honestly, I want to move out as soon as possible, I've seen how things go down before in my family because of my other 3 siblings, I don't want to live through that. I'll move out sooner or later when I'm old enough.
This could just be your mother going through the stages of grief. I don't remember where I first heard it, but someone likened to their child coming out as gay as the death of the person they knew. A bit extreme, but the idea they have of you and their vision for your future is (in their mind) completely destroyed when you tell them you're not who they think you are. The ironic thing is that they're the ones driving the wedge between their kids and themselves and they don't even know it.
...I think this is it. Maybe this is what she's going through? If it were this, then that would explain the way she's reacting and the stuff she says...

Rayis

ughh, all this coming out stories are so sad, I haven't come out personally but knowing the relationship I have with my mom, If she reacted like that and tried to make it all about herself, I'd guilt trip her into accepting it or tolerating it, because it isn't about her and I don't tolerate bullshit like this coming from my parents.

hi guys, haven't dropped by in a while (but i have been lurking every now and then), and all these more unfortunate coming out stories is really putting things in perspective for me, that thankfully my parents took it quite well and i didn't have any issues with the rest of my family... so i give my deepest wishes to YoungBlade and Yak for things to turn out for the better! i just can't imagine how difficult that must be, i wish i could just give you guys a big ol' hug <3

hi guys, haven't dropped by in a while (but i have been lurking every now and then), and all these more unfortunate coming out stories is really putting things in perspective for me, that thankfully my parents took it quite well and i didn't have any issues with the rest of my family... so i give my deepest wishes to YoungBlade and Yak for things to turn out for the better! i just can't imagine how difficult that must be, i wish i could just give you guys a big ol' hug <3

How are things going? Have you gone on another date?

How are things going? Have you gone on another date?

i've been seeing my boyfriend about once a week, since he lives about 40 minutes away and i can't drive, and he's usually caught up with school

but we did go on a three day beach camping trip last week, and it was so much fun :D i finally had my first kiss with him (and my first kiss with anybody, for that matter) and it was ~amazing~, it was definitely the closest we've been with each other, and we even had our own 2-person tent to camp in and we cuddled the entire time, it was just really great :~)

KmA

I wanna give everyone who is having coming out issues a collective internet hug. I'm scared that if I do come out, I will be in the same exact situation as a lot of you, but I fear mine will be worse. I know for a fact if I did come out, my parents would have a real problem with that so I probably won't until I'm at least two states away from them. Being Muslim and gay doesn't really help the issue...

Alcoori

i've been seeing my boyfriend about once a week, since he lives about 40 minutes away and i can't drive, and he's usually caught up with school

but we did go on a three day beach camping trip last week, and it was so much fun :D i finally had my first kiss with him (and my first kiss with anybody, for that matter) and it was ~amazing~, it was definitely the closest we've been with each other, and we even had our own 2-person tent to camp in and we cuddled the entire time, it was just really great :~)

You were boyfriends but never kissed until last week?

well like i said, we don't get to see each other that often, and when we do it usually isn't for that long. also it's both of ours' first relationship, so neither of us really have made the first move in going in for the kiss, but i'm happy that it finally happened and it was fantastic :D

Nohar

I wanna give everyone who is having coming out issues a collective internet hug. I'm scared that if I do come out, I will be in the same exact situation as a lot of you, but I fear mine will be worse. I know for a fact if I did come out, my parents would have a real problem with that so I probably won't until I'm at least two states away from them. Being Muslim and gay doesn't really help the issue...

True enough, your situation is more tedious than some of us. Religions aren't kind in general when it comes to homosexuality (and from what I've heard, some muslims are particularly homophobic, and in some countries being gay if a crime punished by death). I don't know where you live, but for your own safety, it may be best to stay in the closet, especially if you are certain that your homosexuality won't be accepted by the people you might tell. It's more important to keep it secret and stay alive than confront people with it and end up being the victim of harassment, violence or even death (I wish I was exaggerating... But this world is full of intolerant people, who may get dangerous). Things can get quickly overhelming when it's your own family which reject you.

KmA

True enough, your situation is more tedious than some of us. Religions aren't kind in general when it comes to homosexuality (and from what I've heard, some muslims are particularly homophobic, and in some countries being gay if a crime punished by death). I don't know where you live, but for your own safety, it may be best to stay in the closet, especially if you are certain that your homosexuality won't be accepted by the people you might tell. It's more important to keep it secret and stay alive than confront people with it and end up being the victim of harassment, violence or even death (I wish I was exaggerating... But this world is full of intolerant people, who may get dangerous). Things can get quickly overhelming when it's your own family which reject you.

Well I'm from Michigan so I'm not in any immediate danger :p At worst, I might get kicked out but I doubt that would happen. I feel I'm one of the only Muslims in the world who sees no contradiction between my religion and my sexual orientation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't like beards, no more so on me.

Wish I could permanently remove it. Having to shave weekly sucks, double so with disposable razors that don't really do shit for you. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom