• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

While we're on the topic of graduation, my sis graduated yesterday and my parents decided to leave the graduation early.
No one in the family but me congratulated her and gave her a hug, not even a cake. She's been crying because of this and I really want to fight with my parents about it but I'm trying not to.

edit:Wait, congrats guys! I can't wait until I graduate from high school in two years :v

weird, do you know what they did that?

Game Design and Development Programming.

ha, game design not for you?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ha, game design not for you?

The "game design" courses, taught me nothing I couldn't have learned of my own accord, or didn't already know. The programming courses were alright.

My major worry is that my CS/Math fundamentals aren't up to snuff, which is why I'm doing some self-study using online coursework to shore up my gaps in knowledge. Stuff like Algorithms, Linear Algebra, etc. I know enough to make a ball fall onto a platform and bounce, but I would be hard pressed to explain any of it on demand.

That and I'm so out of practice it's embarrassing.

THAT SAID.

My career goal is to, ultimately, become lead designer on some project. Because I like telling stories and I think games make the most interesting stories. I could always go into indie gaming, but I don't want to be professionally poor and my self-discipline isn't all that great. I do better with the structure of the classroom or workplace than I do on my own.

Grakl

The "game design" courses, taught me nothing I couldn't have learned of my own accord, or didn't already know. The programming courses were alright.

My major worry is that my CS/Math fundamentals aren't up to snuff, which is why I'm doing some self-study using online coursework to shore up my gaps in knowledge. Stuff like Algorithms, Linear Algebra, etc. I know enough to make a ball fall onto a platform and bounce, but I would be hard pressed to explain any of it on demand.

That and I'm so out of practice it's embarrassing.

gotcha, that math stuff be important. I'm a fan of learning straight from textbooks when I dont know something, hah, fuck those online tutorials

I'm actually probably taking linear algebra this fall, if you need some help with math stuff I may know shoot me a question (or ask math-GAF!)

THAT SAID.

My career goal is to, ultimately, become lead designer on some project. Because I like telling stories and I think games make the most interesting stories. I could always go into indie gaming, but I don't want to be professionally poor and my self-discipline isn't all that great. I do better with the structure of the classroom or workplace than I do on my own.

good shit on pursuing your passion -- I always wanted to design/develop/program/etc. games but I never actually pursued it, maybe I will some time into the future

Haly

gotcha, that math stuff be important. I'm a fan of learning straight from textbooks when I dont know something, hah, fuck those online tutorials

I'm actually probably taking linear algebra this fall, if you need some help with math stuff I may know shoot me a question (or ask math-GAF!)

good shit on pursuing your passion -- I always wanted to design/develop/program/etc. games but I never actually pursued it, maybe I will some time into the future

IIRC, you're Math/Econ right?

Grakl

Because a few weeks my sister came home drunk and my mom made a big deal out of it, called her awful shit, and stopped talking to her.

shitty reason to leave early, not cool

reminds me of the thread where the OP was sad that his mom suddenly decided not to go to his graduation, and some posters said something along the lines of "mommy isn't always there to hold you hand". graduation is a once in a lifetime event, family should be there imo

C.R.A.Z.Y. is very good.

Y Tu Mamá También is a great movie. Alfonso Cuarón could be one of the best living directors (having gone on to direct Children of Men and Gravity).

Grakl

I dated someone who was Math/Econ and loved numbers/logic. I'm always impressed when someone genuinely enjoys such esoteric subjects.
impressed? ha, to most people it's boring! super fun to me though

I still got my love of vidya for people to relate to, so I'm good

Grakl

Most people can't appreciate a rigorous mind!

A modern day Renaissance man you are.

lol

for real though, I also like looking at economic systems in video games, so a game like EVE is super interesting -- they even hired an economist to do quarterly reports on the state of the economy a few years ago, but unfortunately that program's been discontinued. it's pretty amazing, I wish they continued it. I'm thinking of starting to play EVE because of it.

Haly

lol

for real though, I also like looking at economic systems in video games, so a game like EVE is super interesting -- they even hired an economist to do quarterly reports on the state of the economy a few years ago, but unfortunately that program's been discontinued. it's pretty amazing, I wish they continued it. I'm thinking of starting to play EVE because of it.

I do too! And in fact, I played EVE for the very same reasons you described.

Too bad the game is so god damn boring. One day, I was watching my wallet tick up by millions of ISK and I realized I wasn't having fun anymore, I was playing Sid Meier's Spreadsheets.

Look at these SHEETS.

iqwjOq5kIcrqY.png

Grakl

I do too! And in fact, I played EVE for the very same reasons you described.

Too bad the game is so god damn boring. One day, I was watching my wallet tick up by millions of ISK and I realized I wasn't having fun anymore, I was playing Sid Meier's Spreadsheets.

yep, that's what I've heard, though playing in a small pirate (guild?) group seems pretty fun. never tried the game past a few days, but I always loved space anything

btw spreadsheets are fun brah

Haly

yep, that's what I've heard, though playing in a small pirate (guild?) group seems pretty fun. never tried the game past a few days, but I always loved space anything
It can be, and I had some fun doing it, but there was a huge barrier for me because voice chat is so important there. Individual skill doesn't matter nearly as much as teamwork, this wasn't something I discovered until I took up piracy, so all I could do was follow along the main gang. I'm sure you'd have much more fun with it than I did.

(I'm eyeing both Star Citizen and Elite, hopefully they make being a space economist more fun than EVE.)

btw spreadsheets are fun brah
They're fun until they become a job.

Grakl

It can be, and I had some fun doing it, but there was a huge barrier for me because voice chat is so important there. Individual skill doesn't matter nearly as much as teamwork, this wasn't something I discovered until I took up piracy, so all I could do was follow along the main gang. I'm sure you'd have much more fun with it than I did.

right right, forgot about that, sucks

I don't like the look of star citizen or elite, but I'd be perfectly happy if the games end up good. I need to look at them more, don't know much about them, so my opinion doesn't really mean anything

They're fun until they become a job.

tru

Haly

Towards the end of my tenure in EVE, the only thing I was doing was sitting in Jita (the biggest trade hub in the game) daytrading.

It has its own kind of monotonous appeal. Just buying low and selling high and looking for new investment opportunities.

Amalthea

Banned
So, somehow the topic of the transgender umbrella came up with one of my straight friends(he doesn't know I'm Bi) I showed him a picture, and a video of one of my favorite Drag queens, and he was stuck on stupid for a good minute. "That's a DUDE!!??" instantly came from his mouth.

She's a very convincing queen(can't clock the bitch), and he just couldn't believe it.
He said it kind of scares him that a man can look like a woman, and he'd never know.
He legitimately looked shaken up about this beautiful man who makes a beautiful woman lol.
I couldn't help but laugh a bit. He's a good sport so he didn't get angry or anything

I feel like this wouldn't be the case if our society wasn't so quick to label people as straight or gay, like it's a black or white thing. :/

And that's totally why I never will have a boyfirend.

reminds me of the thread where the OP was sad that his mom suddenly decided not to go to his graduation, and some posters said something along the lines of "mommy isn't always there to hold you hand". graduation is a once in a lifetime event, family should be there imo
I agree, what they did was incredibly shitty.

If I saw that thread I would've been pretty pissed tbh

Bladenic

Ugh really? People said that? Disgusting.

Haly

This is NeoGAF, where everyone left home at 16 to seek their fortune in the Crusades, and anyone who doesn't is a coddled manchild with a silver spoon in their mouths.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I'm the opposite. I don't care about graduations or other ceremonial events, they feel so uncomfortable and unnecessary to me. My parents wanted to go to mine, but I was like you can go, but I won't be there.

My brother's already making an issue about my next graduation, for my Masters. I'm like, idts.

And that's totally why I never will have a boyfirend.

I'm sure you will, I've met a good amount of non-chasing straight/Bi/homoflexible men who are very open minded about having relationships with pre-op or post-op girls.

However, It's a real shame that some straight men often lump crossdressers and Trans girls together(I don't think they should be afraid to express affection towards either tbh)

Every time the topic comes up, I often tell my(fairly liberal)friends "You'd still be having relations with a woman, whats the problem?", but they seem to think of trans girls as being "extremely gay" male tricksters who are looking to embarrass them. Which tells me that they kind of have a negative perception of both queer men(Which discourages me from coming out), and especially trans women.
:/

Amalthea

Banned
I'm sure you will, I've met a good amount of non-chasing straight/Bi/homoflexible men who are very open minded about having relationships with pre-op or post-op girls.

However, It's a real shame that some straight men often lump crossdressers and Trans girls together(I don't think they should be afraid to express affection towards either tbh)

Every time the topic comes up, I often tell my(fairly liberal)friends "You'd still be having relations with a woman, whats the problem?", but they seem to think of trans girls as being "extremely gay" male tricksters who are looking to embarrass them. Which tells me that they kind of have a negative perception of both queer men(Which discourages me from coming out), and especially trans women.
:/

Maybe. The last paragraph is basically the whole issue in a nutshell. Oh and the chasers are the worst. They propably think of you as even something less than "just a piece of meat to fuck", even female ones (get a strap-on you bitches).

OK, I just recently graduated from UT! Yay!

xVXNUfr.jpg

(That's me on the left)

But I'm still without a boyfriend... =(

Heading home to Miami for the summer.

Menaged

xVXNUfr.jpg

(That's me on the left)

Which one is it? Are you insanily tall, or is the other guy really short?

---

I'm not sure what to think of it, but it seems like 40% of the males that suffer from Anorexia are gay\bi.
At least that's what they told us at class today.

daripad

xVXNUfr.jpg

(That's me on the left)

Congrats! Don't worry about boyfriends, just wait until something happens, the least you look for it the more chances you have for it appearing out of nowhere. Oh, and you look like a giant :O

Haly

What if our galaxy is just an atom of an unimaginably larger being maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Haly

Would be a dog's collar for most people here.

Haly

Y'all are dog people, except for me and BlueBadger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom