• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

Music is more a hobby of mine, if anything... Goddamnit, I wish I done music in Secondary school. But you already had to know how to play an instrument to do it, and I wanted to do it so I could learn how to play an instrument. Also, we had no money to afford any real instrument, which affected things. But now we do, and I use a keyboard to play ragtime music, and other pleasant yet generally irritating tunes which annoy my family to no end. Mwa-ha-ha.

And getting body fat down to nearly 10% shows no visible results for you? :c How often do you exercise?
Also be reminded that getting a low BMI does not necessarily mean healthy things for you: If you look icky but feel healthy at 10%, then 10% is definitely more than adequate!

Well, that piece is intentionally mean to be overly complicated as to prove humorous (I love how it ended up being used as a final boss theme in a game).

I'm yet to write my own sheet music yet...! Is it difficult?

I knew how to play the trumpet back in elementary school and that's as far as I got. I always wanted to learn to play the piano and I have seen sheet musics but they look complicated. I always love it when I see in YouTube a piano cover of a song I like and the person playing saying that they learned it by just hearing.

My body fat has been stable now that I'm in control of my diet. For example I know now what portions, and under what conditions, I need to eat. I exercise four to five times a week. I've been concentrating on cardio and core workouts but I'm diversifying my routine. However getting rid of belly fat is hard. I need to build enough muscle to burn more calories but at the same time do cardio to balance my calory intake. It's basically doing two things at once and fitGaf has told me to concentrate on one thing at a time. But I hope my routine works.

I ended up learning sheet music through playing an instrument in school; but I never really did any music theory beyond the basics. I keep meaning to return to it, especially since I'm writing more music now rather than performing, but the terrible experience I had with theory classes back then dissuades me. Well, that and the rush of envy when I hear the work of composers and arrangers who can produce amazing pieces without the ability to read sheet music, but that's more of a way for me to justify my own complacency.

Don't let your previous experiences dissuade you. Usually composers who can compose amazing pieces without reading sheet music at the exception not the rule.

Just to keep track of them. I never came far enough to learn all the ins and outs so it is a big simplification in my case. In an octave we have 12 notes so I just write 1 through 12 instead of bothering with remembering when to use E and C sharp. I know where the keys are, but I find their relationship illogical.

0 to 11 is easier to count (and what Wikipedia uses) so I'll use that in this example. If you want a minor chord you simply count from the starting key (0) and the third key to the right (blacks included) is the second and the seventh key is the final one. Major chord is the same except the middle step is fourth key. Now I can play a bunch of simple chords without memorizing more than 3-7 and 4-7. That should probably tell you I don't exactly play the most complicated pieces :p

I have a friend who plays classical music and I wish I could keep up. I had some formal music lessons as a child, but not for very long. I find the stuff interesting and have learned a bit about the fourier series (Wikipedia has a great animation, it's much easier than it seems) and what makes up the timbre on my own, but when it comes to music theory (especially harmony) my knowledge is awful.

All of you are talented! Go out and compose the next Moonlight Sonata!

I ended up learning sheet music through playing an instrument in school; but I never really did any music theory beyond the basics. I keep meaning to return to it, especially since I'm writing more music now rather than performing, but the terrible experience I had with theory classes back then dissuades me. Well, that and the rush of envy when I hear the work of composers and arrangers who can produce amazing pieces without the ability to read sheet music, but that's more of a way for me to justify my own complacency.

Oh yeah, it's people effortlessly being much, much better than me at music that often dissuades me. I sometimes remind myself that they're much older than me, and have been doing it for a long while, but I mostly just listen enviously.

Just to keep track of them. I never came far enough to learn all the ins and outs so it is a big simplification in my case. In an octave we have 12 notes so I just write 1 through 12 instead of bothering with remembering when to use E and C sharp. I know where the keys are, but I find their relationship illogical.

0 to 11 is easier to count (and what Wikipedia uses) so I'll use that in this example. If you want a minor chord you simply count from the starting key (0) and the third key to the right (blacks included) is the second and the seventh key is the final one. Major chord is the same except the middle step is fourth key. Now I can play a bunch of simple chords without memorizing more than 3-7 and 4-7. That should probably tell you I don't exactly play the most complicated pieces :p

I have a friend who plays classical music and I wish I could keep up. I had some formal music lessons as a child, but not for very long. I find the stuff interesting and have learned a bit about the fourier series (Wikipedia has a great animation, it's much easier than it seems) and what makes up the timbre on my own, but when it comes to music theory (especially harmony) my knowledge is awful.

I'll have to look at that animation when I'm not tired. It does seem awfully confusing, but I'll take your word on it being easier than it looks.

And I wish that I had a friend interested in classical music in the first place! I sure could use someone to do duets with, or something. It'd make it more enjoyable, definitely... Also helpful. Thanks for the advice anyway!

I knew how to play the trumpet back in elementary school and that's as far as I got. I always wanted to learn to play the piano and I have seen sheet musics but they look complicated. I always love it when I see in YouTube a piano cover of a song I like and the person playing saying that they learned it by just hearing.

My body fat has been stable now that I'm in control of my diet. For example I know now what portions, and under what conditions, I need to eat. I exercise four to five times a week. I've been concentrating on cardio and core workouts but I'm diversifying my routine. However getting rid of belly fat is hard. I need to build enough muscle to burn more calories but at the same time do cardio to balance my calory intake. It's basically doing two things at once and fitGaf has told me to concentrate on one thing at a time. But I hope my routine works.

Don't let your previous experiences dissuade you. Usually composers who can compose amazing pieces without reading sheet music at the exception not the rule.

All of you are talented! Go out and compose the next Moonlight Sonata!

More like the next Pathetique 3rd Movement (AKA the best thing Beethoven ever did)!!!

I MIGHT have gotten into the trumpet (and brass instruments in general) if I knew how to blow into the fucking mouthpiece and make actual noise come out. Looking back, I was absolutely woeful, but my teacher wasn't exactly amazing, either. I lost interest very shortly after.

I got into piano partially because it didn't seem very complicated! As it turned out, I was right. It's much easier to play than other instruments, yet also very difficult to master. And them Youtubers doing amazing covers partially got me into the piano in the first place. As good a reason as any, I suppose. :p

In regards to fitness, seeing as doing two things at once is not the most effective idea, try focusing more on the cardio first (although don't neglect the other exercises entirely). If no real effect occurs (which would be a surprise), try the more muscle-builsing exercises instead. But if you want to achieve what I think you want to achieve, don't focus on both. Short term, it'll be less effective than both forms of exercise, but it'll be good for you in the long run.

Kater

Banned
I don't know if I ever said hello here?

I'm 22, male, gay, and gladly read the posts here
Oh, formal introductions!

I'm 23 and a gay guy. Favourite music (atm) is Crystal Castles, Favourite Game: Fallout New Vegas, Favourite Book/s: Merlin Saga by T.A. Barron. (atm)

7yfc1BV.jpg

*swoon*

Kevyt

Hello and welcome!

What's your favorite color and why?

Edit: Your avatar is awesome, is that a CME/solar flare picture taking by the ISO telescope?

DOWN

Banned
Hi. Where are you from?

Florida, USA - currently in college here too.

who is your favorite author.

I wouldn't say I have a favorite and I generally don't stick with an author based on one book I liked leading to another, but here are three books that I love:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hey, hows it going :)

Favorite show? :p

Three way tie between House of Cards, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.

Hey there. :)

Umm.. Do you game at all? If so, what do you play? Lol
I play most AAA releases, I'd say. Today I got GTA V (again), Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I still have yet to make much progress in Assassin's Creed Unity and The Master Chief Collection.

I'm 23 and a gay guy. Favourite music (atm) is Crystal Castles, Favourite Game: Fallout New Vegas, Favourite Book/s: Merlin Saga by T.A. Barron. (atm)
Nice to formally meet everyone.

Hello and welcome!

What's your favorite color and why?

Edit: Your avatar is awesome, is that a CME/solar flare picture taking by the ISO telescope?
Yep, a great image of the sun (I'm not deeply scientific, but I'm certainly a bit mesmerized by space imagery and themes).

And no favorite color. But my closet is almost strictly black, grey, navy, white, and some neutrals. My wild side is a burgundy sweater.

Welcome! Always nice to see new faces.

Welcome,
just lie back and think of England
feel free to drop in anytime!

...As you wish.

Thanks for all the hellos.

Alrus

Adoption rights are still not a thing for gay couples in Europe though, right?

The Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Sweden and Malta (+ Iceland and Norway) allow for joint adoption. There's a few more with step-child adoption (complicated process, takes a while (and in the mean time one of the parents isn't recognized which can lead to very terrible situations. Lots of issues present due to laws and ethics concerns regarding assisted reproductive technology and surrogate mothers).

Chris Pratt looks weird to me without his beard. I kinda miss his goofy face. :(

Hey, sup.

Crystal Castles. *heart emoji*

Kevyt

Oh yeah, it's people effortlessly being much, much better than me at music that often dissuades me. I sometimes remind myself that they're much older than me, and have been doing it for a long while, but I mostly just listen enviously.

I'll have to look at that animation when I'm not tired. It does seem awfully confusing, but I'll take your word on it being easier than it looks.

And I wish that I had a friend interested in classical music in the first place! I sure could use someone to do duets with, or something. It'd make it more enjoyable, definitely... Also helpful. Thanks for the advice anyway!

More like the next Pathetique 3rd Movement (AKA the best thing Beethoven ever did)!!!

I MIGHT have gotten into the trumpet (and brass instruments in general) if I knew how to blow into the fucking mouthpiece and make actual noise come out. Looking back, I was absolutely woeful, but my teacher wasn't exactly amazing, either. I lost interest very shortly after.

I got into piano partially because it didn't seem very complicated! As it turned out, I was right. It's much easier to play than other instruments, yet also very difficult to master. And them Youtubers doing amazing covers partially got me into the piano in the first place. As good a reason as any, I suppose. :p

In regards to fitness, seeing as doing two things at once is not the most effective idea, try focusing more on the cardio first (although don't neglect the other exercises entirely). If no real effect occurs (which would be a surprise), try the more muscle-builsing exercises instead. But if you want to achieve what I think you want to achieve, don't focus on both. Short term, it'll be less effective than both forms of exercise, but it'll be good for you in the long run.

I do cardio some days and other days I only concentrate on lifting and anaerobic exercises. People tell me to concentrate on build muscle and more anaerobic workouts but I feel that cardio is always important.

Florida, USA - currently in college here too.

I wouldn't say I have a favorite and I generally don't stick with an author based on one book I liked leading to another, but here are three books that I love:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Three way tie between House of Cards, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.

I play most AAA releases, I'd say. Today I got GTA V (again), Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I still have yet to make much progress in Assassin's Creed Unity and The Master Chief Collection.

Nice to formally meet everyone.

Yep, a great image of the sun (I'm not deeply scientific, but I'm certainly a bit mesmerized by space imagery and themes).

And no favorite color. But my closet is almost strictly black, grey, navy, white, and some neutrals. My wild side is a burgundy sweater.

Thanks for all the hellos.

I have seen you around in other threads and I remembered you because of your avatar. Good to have you here in the thread! So what's your major?

Chris Pratt is hot. End. Even if his surname is an old-timey insult.

Hello~! Welcome to the madhouse.

I do cardio some days and other days I only concentrate on lifting and anaerobic exercises. People tell me to concentrate on build muscle and more anaerobic workouts but I feel that cardio is always important.

You do them all in equal measure? Makes sense. Whatever you feel is healthy for you, I suppose! Although I do recommend that you do Cardio more~ It's worked wonders for me so far.

Kater

Banned
The Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Sweden and Malta (+ Iceland and Norway) allow for joint adoption. There's a few more with step-child adoption (complicated process, takes a while (and in the mean time one of the parents isn't recognized which can lead to very terrible situations. Lots of issues present due to laws and ethics concerns regarding assisted reproductive technology and surrogate mothers).
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I remembered someone writing about demonstrations in France because of adoption rights (probably Grizzo), that's why I asked.

Crystal Castles. *heart emoji*
Excellent music, yeah. 👌

Kevyt

Chris Pratt is hot. End. Even if his surname is an old-timey insult.

Hello~! Welcome to the madhouse.

You do them all in equal measure? Makes sense. Whatever you feel is healthy for you, I suppose! Although I do recommend that you do Cardio more~ It's worked wonders for me so far.

Yep. I do some days for cardio, other days I do the "heavy stuff." I'm short, 5'7 or 1.70 meters and my weight is 140 pounds, or 63 kg. According to my height and weight, my BMI is good or acceptable. I wanted to slim more but I'm happy as I am now so I won't be doing a lot of cardio.

This. Him without the beard isn't doing it for me, but he looks odd there.

Alex, happy super belated birthday!! I hope you had a wonderful time with your friends and loved ones.

Caladrius

I said Marvel makeover, not Liefield curse! >_<

Hey, you said Mahvel, baby. I'm just delivering what's on the paper.

Wesley is that you?
points if you get the reference

I don't watch the tele-vision, silly!

They just buffed Luigi >:D

Very slightly, but still.

More proof of the Luiginati infesting Nintendo.

I have no doubt that they're infiltrating Namco and Sega as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom