• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
I guess it was where/how I was raised, but I didn't really know any teenagers who acted like that around their parents. I don't think I've ever had a screaming match with my parents either even though I have wanted to when I was younger, lol. To be fair, I started to distance myself from my parents once I realized I was gay, so maybe that's why I never had any situations like that. I think the acting is fine in the movie, but I just got annoyed by all the yelling in the first 15 minutes - that's all.
Everyone has a different experience in the relationship to their parents, understandably. And in the movie, the screaming, the whole tension between the two is there if you like it or not, it's integral to Dolan's kind of storytelling, show don't tell. Of course it's annoying, that's the intention, he wants you to feel the characters and their frustration.

Don't know if he does that in his other films as well, haven't seen them (yet!).

My mom wouldn't let me talk to her in that manner, or scream at her. Different parenting I suppose. No matter how much you can disagree that kind of screaming/yelling is unacceptable, imo... especially towards your own parents.

Why not? Better than keeping your mouth shut and letting them live in the believe that they never did wrong. Yelling at them shows them that something went wrong, it sends a message. It's a start and better than just shutting yourself off and keeping your frustration in and carrying them into adulthood where you probably end up having psychological problems because of all the anger in you. I think I should have done it even more often, maybe I wouldn't have to live with my depressions and my personality disorder now.

Sorry, that was probably a bit rant-y. I'm an ass. 😣

berzeli

Banned
Oh, I'm talking about all the modern stuff in there like typewriters and motorcycles.

Jarman has a tendency to be... well how should I put this, eccentric. So I really mean it when I say that Carvaggio is a lot more accessible and straightforward than a lot other stuff. Even if I personally enjoy it.

tumblr_mbp1y8ISuw1rw6lx6o1_500.gif

tumblr_n0u4t1KbPT1tq8f3ho1_1280.gif

tumblr_n5zgyvnTGN1rhc9quo8_500.gif

tumblr_nd93ysZoLn1rfld6do2_400.gif

And this is the stuff I can post without running the risk of getting banned. (I should say that some of this makes sense in context. Some of it.)
Didn't watch that one yet. I only watched the one movie of his but it made a huge impression on me.

You really should, it's amazing. I haven't seen Mommy yet but I adore all of his other films.

Kevyt

Everyone has a different experience in the relationship to their parents, understandably. And in the movie, the screaming, the whole tension between the two is there if you like it or not, it's integral to Dolan's kind of storytelling, show don't tell. Of course it's annoying, that's the intention, he wants you to feel the characters and their frustration.

Don't know if he does that in his other films as well, haven't seen them (yet!).

Why not? Better than keeping your mouth shut and letting them live in the believe that they never did wrong. Yelling at them shows them that something went wrong, it sends a message. It's a start and better than just shutting yourself off and keeping your frustration in and carrying them into adulthood where you probably end up having psychological problems because of all the anger in you. I think I should have done it even more often, maybe I wouldn't have to live with my depressions and my personality disorder now.

Sorry, that was probably a bit rant-y. I'm an ass. 😣

I just feel like yelling and getting really mad doesn't solve anything. It's also hard for me to get really mad at someone and yell at them. My parents and I have always had a good relationship, not perfect though. We've had our ups and downs but I've never been in the position where I feel like yelling at them non-stop is necessary. But I agree with you, I guess that's one way to look at it. It's also clear that the conflict between the main character and his mom are plot devices and dramatic conflict that is well conveyed.

Caladrius

I am extremely angry right now.

No university in the area accepts lower division transfers so I have to go to a community college in the meantime.

Kater

Banned
Jarman ha a tendency to be... well how should I put this, eccentric. So I really mean it when I say that Carvaggio is a lot more accessible and straightforward than a lot other stuff. Even if I personally enjoy it.

tumblr_mbp1y8ISuw1rw6lx6o1_500.gif

tumblr_n0u4t1KbPT1tq8f3ho1_1280.gif

tumblr_n5zgyvnTGN1rhc9quo8_500.gif

tumblr_nd93ysZoLn1rfld6do2_400.gif

And this is the stuff I can post without running the risk of getting banned. (I should say that some of this makes sense in context. Some of it.)
You really should, it's amazing. I haven't seen Mommy yet but I adore all of his other films.
Tilda Swinton looks great in that costume, haha
Also loving the arabic(?) guy kissing the guy in the very revealing clothing and the people with torches running in circles around them.

I need to see a lot more of his work.

I just feel like yelling and getting really mad doesn't solve anything. It's also hard for me to get really mad at someone and yell at them. My parents and I have always had a good relationship, not perfect though. We've had our ups and downs but I've never been in the position where I feel like yelling at them non-stop is necessary. But I agree with you, I guess that's one way to look at it. It's also clear that the conflict between the main character and his mom are plot devices and dramatic conflict that is well conveyed.
It doesn't solve a problem when you yell at someone, but it shows that there is a problem. Like I already wrote in my last post, it's better than not talking about your problems at all. And thanks for understanding my point inbetween all my babbling. 😉

SPESSMEHREN

Neo Member
Today is turning into a great day. Received an angry e-mail this morning from someone I interviewed for an article in the paper. Her quotes were wrong.

Apparently I had done two interviews that day, but I wrote all the notes for the second interview before the first interview in my notebook, so I confused ALL of the quotes and information between two people... a good 5 paragraphs are now wrong :(

Kevyt

No university in the area accepts lower division transfers so I have to go to a community college in the meantime.

Nothing wrong with community college. I actually love the smaller classes, the more flexibility it gives you, and its cheaper too.

I actually loved Out in the Dark, it was surprisingly poignant. And the Israeli character was obscenely attractive. (on the right)

Like what the hell I can't even tell if he Israel (teehee).

Both of them are very cute. Excellent film too and I hope there's a sequel but I doubt it.

Tilda Swinton looks great in that costume, haha
Also loving the arabic(?) guy kissing the guy in the very revealing clothing and the people with torches running in circles around them.

I need to see a lot more of his work.

It doesn't solve a problem when you yell at someone, but it shows that there is a problem. Like I already wrote in my last post, it's better than not talking about your problems at all. And thanks for understanding my point inbetween all my babbling. 😉

Yep. Frankly my dear, your comments are far from babbling. I always appreciate your posts and trying to understand your ideas and points of view =)

Eh, it's not so bad. Apparently it isn't as tiring as Uni, and you still learn stuff and get qualifications. Trying it out before Uni is... Actually not a bad idea.

County singer Ty Herndon came out today. I vaguely know his name but as I read the article I realized he's 50. He looks damn good.

Fixed because woah, he looks very fine~

Caladrius

Nothing wrong with community college. I actually love the smaller classes, the more flexibility it gives you, and its cheaper too.

Eh, it's not so bad. Apparently it isn't as tiring as Uni, and you still learn stuff and get qualifications. Trying it out before Uni is... Actually not a bad idea.

The problem is that my University credits aren't necessarily going to be accepted when I go to comm. college, and the comm. courses aren't guaranteed to take when I head back to university.

I feel like my money is going to be wasted through no fault of my own.

Grizzo

That's fantastic, Grizzo! I am happy for you. :)

Wowwww

That's awesome. Start thinking about another book to make! Nice to see that it's already looking successful~ Congratulations!

That's amazing, congratulations! :D

EDIT: Also, congrats Grizzo! That's fucking amazing. Very proud of you. :)

Thank you for those nice words you guys!

ieLUSGxsd0DVV.gif

You are all really sweet!

Wow! Amazing! Congratulations! Could you link me to your blog (if you don't mind)? I would love to read your blog.

Sure I'll send it to you through DM (and you too El Gato!). Just keep in mind that I haven't been writing anything on it since long time.

I still keep it updated though, but mostly just to post some of my last articles available on the website for which I work so you'll have some content to read anyway :)

Well guys, I don't have a lot of time to GAF these days, but it's been a pretty dramatic couple of months.

I moved to London, made some cool friends, following my dreams. Started seeing a really nice guy who I had high hopes for but that ended abruptly this week.

My ex still writes incredibly venomous blog posts about me which for some reason I can't quite stop myself from reading (even though to be honest I'm numb to the things he says).

Sooo I'm feeling a very strange mix of freedom and elation with being in the big city and heartbreak and loneliness for my tangled and destroyed love-life!

What's crackin Q-GAF?

Kater

Banned
i got Smash Wii U <3

10411297_10103961598886105_5694378737100530228_n.jpg

i haven't touched a smash game since gamecube. well i did with wii but i only bought it and played once. lol.
Cool! I will be buying a copy tomorrow, if there is still one left (hopefully!).

ieLUSGxsd0DVV.gif

Sure I'll send it to you through DM (and you too El Gato!). Just keep in mind that I haven't been writing anything on it since long time.

I still keep it updated though, but mostly just to post some of my last articles available on the website for which I work so you'll have some content to read anyway :)
No problem. &#128521;

And I'm looking forward to seeing your often talked about blog that lead you to being a freelance writer now. :)

Kevyt

ieLUSGxsd0DVV.gif

Thank you sweetie. I look forward to reading some of your work!

Well guys, I don't have a lot of time to GAF these days, but it's been a pretty dramatic couple of months.

I moved to London, made some cool friends, following my dreams. Started seeing a really nice guy who I had high hopes for but that ended abruptly this week.

My ex still writes incredibly venomous blog posts about me which for some reason I can't quite stop myself from reading (even though to be honest I'm numb to the things he says).

Sooo I'm feeling a very strange mix of freedom and elation with being in the big city and heartbreak and loneliness for my tangled and destroyed love-life!

What's crackin Q-GAF?

I love that you use Gaf as a verb. Welcome back! I don't remember seeing you before until now, but welcome back! As numb as you are towards what your ex writes about you, I would advise not to read them. London is a big city, I'm sure you won't have trouble finding that special someone.

i got Smash Wii U <3

10411297_10103961598886105_5694378737100530228_n.jpg

i haven't touched a smash game since gamecube. well i did with wii but i only bought it and played once. lol.

Omg... that's the bundle I saw. Have you tried the amiibo thingy?

Another country singer came out today as well, Billy Gilman. I know people in here don't care about country music, I'm not a fan either despite my mother listening to it when I was growing up, but I think this is great and it's nice to see progress in a genre of music that isn't known for being progressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7MBAPZWms

1405045390000-BGProfile1.jpg

That's awesome. I recall another openly gay country singer whose name I can't remember. I like country music, although somewhat mainstream country music/singers like Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts.

I love him/like him but he doesn't feel the same way about me, because he doesn't even know I exist, lol. Even if I had the amazing opportunity to meet Steve Grande I doubt he ever would. My chances with a guy like him are one in a trillion.
Well, putting yourself down like that won't help. (Neither will placing people on a pedestal.) You may never meet someone you admire, but the world is filled with great people that you will meet.

Sometimes it's really hard to have a positive attitude (and I should know, especially this year), but the most important thing is to keep trying.

So a super-cute guy started messaging me on Hot or Not.
Yeah, yeah, it's an old-ass site, I know.
I'm kind of intimidated because I don't really think I'm that good looking. Luckily, the guys in the Skype chat have been helping with my self-confidence a bit. ^^

Dany

Banned
You know whats great?

Being non-committal. Texting, talking and going on dates with a cutie without the feel or need of 'expectations' or 'what are we'. It's a breath of fresh air and is such a fucking relief lol.

You know whats great?

Being non-committal. Texting, talking and going on dates with a cutie without the feel or need of 'expectations' or 'what are we'. It's a breath of fresh air and is such a fucking relief lol.

Pardon my curiosity, but weren't you dating a fellow gaygaffer?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Another country singer came out today as well, Billy Gilman. I know people in here don't care about country music, I'm not a fan either despite my mother listening to it when I was growing up, but I think this is great and it's nice to see progress in a genre of music that isn't known for being progressive.

I wouldn't say it's progress until Nashville accepts it. Those two are brave to come out in an industry that will probably purposely torpedo their carrier if Nashville so chooses.

Which really depends on the fans of the genre. Which I kinda doubt will cotton onto this. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom