• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

It would be embarrassing for me, my spoken English is a bit rusted. lol

Die Ärzte, Morlockk Dilemma, and so on. It's better if you discover them for yourself though, I think.. =)

lol, what

I'll begin my journey looking for German Music.

I apologize for double post I:

terrisus

lol, what

---->

In related German music discussion, in high school it was pretty nifty being able to put Du Hast on a graphing calculator

That's not the point, silly.
The point was having "music" on a graphing calculator.

Music played by getting an adapter to connect headphones to the link port, and the program sending a series of connections through the link port that created a series of sounds sound.

Crazy kids and their MP3 players and what-have-you these days

lawn.gif

<3

terrisus

You know the basics right?

Relatively. I can kind of communicate in Spanish if I need to and the other person is understanding with my limited vocabulary and incorrect tenses.

Japanese, well... I can kind of piece together Katakana, at which point much of it is basically English words! Hiragana I know what they are better, but don't really know what the words mean. And, Kanji,,, Well, **** Kanji

Latin, I haven't taken it since like 1998, so I've forgotten most of it >.>

Kevyt

Relatively. I can kind of communicate in Spanish if I need to and the other person is understanding with my limited vocabulary and incorrect tenses.

Japanese, well... I can kind of piece together Katakana, at which point much of it is basically English words! Hiragana I know what they are better, but don't really know what the words mean. And, Kanji,,, Well, **** Kanji

Latin, I haven't taken it since like 1998, so I've forgotten most of it >.>

That's good. Spanish is a beautiful language. :)

Japanese is hard from the looks of it.

alvmew

It's cool. I dunno why, but it's cool to really know what stuff like memento mori really means (why it's written like that) and you can read old texts natively.

I work in the legal field and took some Latin back in high school, and it's super useful for all of the terms and such.

It's cool. I dunno why, but it's cool to really know what stuff like memento mori really means (why it's written like that) and you can read old texts natively.

It is cool, but I don't think you need to learn Latin to understand Latin idioms. I sort of associate it with either Orthodox Catholicism or the really oldschool tradition in England of knowing Latin as a routine part of your education. I do kind of wish I knew ancient Greek though, so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

terrisus

Why Latin?

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯
Why not?

Seriously though, I didn't appreciate it as much when I took it in middle school/high school.
I would've appreciated it more in college.

That's good. Spanish is a beautiful language. :)

Japanese is hard from the looks of it.

I think if I could've really memorized all the Hiragana and Katakana, it would've been alright.
But, it's just just a matter of reading/writing something, but remembering how to read/write something.

And, again - **** Kanji

Kevyt

¯_(&#12484;)_/¯
Why not?

Seriously though, I didn't appreciate it as much when I took it in middle school/high school.
I would've appreciated it more in college.

I think if I could've really memorized all the Hiragana and Katakana, it would've been alright.
But, it's just just a matter of reading/writing something, but remembering how to read/write something.

And, again - **** Kanji

Metsu Hadoken!!

Sautsui no Hado.

HylianTom

Banned
2015 is going to be amazing. Pivotal. At the end of this upcoming year, our lives will look remarkably different.
(At least, that's how I'm hoping it'll be.)

First and foremost: marriage.

We're not having a wedding, so we felt we could splurge a bit on the rings. We'll just head down to the courthouse whenever SCOTUS issues its ruling (hopefully in June)

But it's isn't just rings and paperwork and rights and dignity blah blah blah.. it's the first domino in a small group of big dominoes.

Greg's a vet. Right now, as legal strangers, any application for a VA loan doesn't include my income into the calculations. One of our incomes would be enough to build a very basic tiny house, but both of our incomes would be enough to build a house that we'd be able to comfortably retire in. (And if multiple parents need to move in when they get older, we'll be able to handle that need.)

Next: with a house comes a puppy. It's time. Some lucky Akita is going to win the puppy lottery. Like Jake did, he'll live a life that many humans envy.

After that: a gaming room. I'm tired of gaming in this improvised living room. And I feel bad kicking Greg out of the living room every time I want to play; I haven't had a good gaming marathon in several years because of this. With the house comes a dedicated Nintendo/Zelda room. (Seriously: there are several large trunks in my closet filled with Zelda stuff that I can't wait to have on proper display.. I've been collecting for years, and at this point the collection is pretty impressive.) I want my hobby back!

And finally, unrelated to marriage: I've gotta lose 10 pounds or so. These jeans are getting tight, and I hate that sensation that I'm letting myself go.

C'mon, 2015!

(Spongebob voice:) I'm ready! I'm reeeaaaady! I'm ready!

tumblr_ma9dmro0KD1rwiqye.gif

I've had a fun year here with you all - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2015 is going to be amazing. Pivotal. At the end of this upcoming year, our lives will look remarkably different.
(At least, that's how I'm hoping it'll be.)

First and foremost: marriage.

We're not having a wedding, so we felt we could splurge a bit on the rings. We'll just head down to the courthouse whenever SCOTUS issues its ruling (hopefully in June)

But it's isn't just rings and paperwork and rights and dignity blah blah blah.. it's the first domino in a small group of big dominoes.

Greg's a vet. Right now, as legal strangers, any application for a VA loan doesn't include my income into the calculations. One of our incomes would be enough to build a very basic tiny house, but both of our incomes would be enough to build a house that we'd be able to comfortably retire in. (And if multiple parents need to move in when they get older, we'll be able to handle that need.)

Next: with a house comes a puppy. It's time. Some lucky Akita is going to win the puppy lottery. Like Jake did, he'll live a life that many humans envy.

After that: a gaming room. I'm tired of gaming in this improvised living room. And I feel bad kicking Greg out of the living room every time I want to play; I haven't had a good gaming marathon in several years because of this. With the house comes a dedicated Nintendo/Zelda room. (Seriously: there are several large trunks in my closet filled with Zelda stuff that I can't wait to have on proper display.. I've been collecting for years, and at this point the collection is pretty impressive.) I want my hobby back!

And finally, unrelated to marriage: I've gotta lose 10 pounds or so. These jeans are getting tight, and I hate that sensation that I'm letting myself go.

C'mon, 2015!

(Spongebob voice:) I'm ready! I'm reeeaaaady! I'm ready!
(picture)
I've had a fun year here with you all - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wow it certainly sounds like you've a great year ahead of you! Hopefully it'll all work out as well as you're hoping, and I've little doubt that i will. On a side note, that breed of dog (Akita) look absolutely beautiful (and adorable).

And like that I've fucked it up. Pushed him away cuz I was afraid to be hurt, ruined this cuz I don't think I'm worthy of this amazing man. Fuck. I don't know how to fix this.

I'm gonna drink hard tonight.

HylianTom

Banned
Wow it certainly sounds like you've a great year ahead of you! Hopefully it'll all work out as well as you're hoping, and I've little doubt that i will. On a side note, that breed of dog (Akita) look absolutely beautiful (and adorable).

After our first Akita, I was stuck on the breed. He made me into a dog person, no doubt.

Like a big teddy bear! My mom is not one to like big dogs, but now akitas are great in her book. I was shocked that she'd allow Jake on her sofa, haha!

And like that I've fucked it up. Pushed him away cuz I was afraid to be hurt, ruined this cuz I don't think I'm worthy of this amazing man. Fuck. I don't know how to fix this.

I'm gonna drink hard tonight.
No no no! What happened?!

Ty4on

It is cool, but I don't think you need to learn Latin to understand Latin idioms. I sort of associate it with either Orthodox Catholicism or the really oldschool tradition in England of knowing Latin as a routine part of your education. I do kind of wish I knew ancient Greek though, so maybe I'm a hypocrite.
There are so many though... :p

And I like languages. Latin has so many suffixes it is hard to know what the dictionary form of the words are and I like knowing it really means. Both what words are used and conjucation and the full meaning of the words and conjucation.
I work in the legal field and took some Latin back in high school, and it's super useful for all of the terms and such.
Maybe a Latin Phoenix Wright could help me learn it...
I'll begin my journey looking for German Music.
The German music I know is mostly quite hard/harsh, but they've made a lot of cool techno and hard trance and the German EyeQ lable had a lot of cool early trance (a big shift happened in 97). I still prefer the Nederlands (sooo much trance and a cooler language*), but Germany is probably second. Opened my eyes when I thought softer sounds were what I prefered.
You need to like repetitive dance music though...

Maybe not relevant when vocals are so rare, but Dutch is really cool :p

Kevyt

And I like languages. Latin has so many suffixes it is hard to know what the dictionary form of the words are and I like knowing it really means. Both what words are used and conjucation and the full meaning of the words and conjucation.

Maybe a Latin Phoenix Wright could help me learn it...

The German music I know is mostly quite hard/harsh, but they've made a lot of cool techno and hard trance and the German EyeQ lable had a lot of cool early trance (a big shift happened in 97). I still prefer the Nederlands (sooo much trance and a cooler language*), but Germany is probably second. Opened my eyes when I thought softer sounds were what I prefered.
You need to like repetitive dance music though...

Maybe not relevant when vocals are so rare, but Dutch is really cool :p

Anu recommendations for Dutch music/artists?

No no no! What happened?!

I don't know. I don't know why did it. I avoided him, he wanted to see me tonight but I freaked out. Waited last minute to tell him I wouldn't see him tonight. Like I said, fucked it up. Probably hurt him. Things went too fast for me. So I panicked. So he messaged me said that he was disappointed. That he understands that I pushed him away. Said that he still feels the same way about me even so. Wished me a good NYE, and that I'm s great guy and he liked meeting me.
I can't tell if there's abything there to salvage though. I'm thinking I'll just give him space. Let him enjoy NYE in Toronto, maybe meet someone else. I dunno. I'm gonna try to get drunk,

DOWN

Banned
I don't know. I don't know why did it. I avoided him, he wanted to see me tonight but I freaked out. Waited last minute to tell him I wouldn't see him tonight. Like I said, fucked it up. Probably hurt him. Things went too fast for me. So I panicked. So he messaged me said that he was disappointed. That he understands that I pushed him away. Said that he still feels the same way about me even so. Wished me a good NYE, and that I'm s great guy and he liked meeting me.
I can't tell if there's abything there to salvage though. I'm thinking I'll just give him space. Let him enjoy NYE in Toronto, maybe meet someone else. I dunno. I'm gonna try to get drunk,

You're killing me with the repeated 'not worthy' label on yourself stuck in the middle of tons of sweet and considerate thoughts in your posts. You're obviously a catch.

I hope you don't let your worries keep stopping you from working towards things you want and sharing your feelings with whoever could make those great things possible for you. Happy New Year, and you deserve it.

You're killing me with the repeated 'not worthy' label on yourself stuck in the middle of tons of sweet and considerate thoughts in your posts. You're obviously a catch.

I hope you don't let your worries keep stopping you from working towards things you want and sharing your feelings with whoever could make those great things possible for you. Happy New Year, and you deserve it.

And that right there is and forever will be my lifes problem. The fear is real. Holds me back. I'm so scared of being happy that I wallow in misery. I will die unhappy. I know this.
On shot two of vodka. Downing a glass of wine too.

Meicyn

Gold Member
You can figure out if there's anything to salvage if you just HANG OUT WITH HIM.

Seriously, you are your own worst enemy. Just go be with him, for fuck's sake. It's as simple as that. To hell with the fear. CALL HIM NOW.

Kevyt

He probably thinks you ditched him, but if he still feels the same way, then there's hope. Don't be scared, go for it man.

You can figure out if there's anything to salvage if you just HANG OUT WITH HIM.

Seriously, you are your own worst enemy. Just go be with him, for fuck's sake. It's as simple as that. To hell with the fear. CALL HIM NOW.

I don't have his number. I gave him mine.

Kevyt

And that right there is and forever will be my lifes problem. The fear is real. Holds me back. I'm so scared of being happy that I wallow in misery. I will die unhappy. I know this.
On shot two of vodka. Downing a glass of wine too.

What exactly are you afraid of? I don't think you're afraid of being happy. I think you're downplaying yourself and you're not confident enough. I'm sorry... but it looks like you have a low self esteem.

HylianTom

Banned
As someone with chronic low self-esteem, I've learned: if a guy is so blunt in saying that he's into you, believe it.

So I'm adding to the chorus; you don't want to regret and wonder.

I guess you're right. I mostly think of learning dead languages in the context of their literary tradition, which seems like it's usually oriented around either religious texts or mythic narratives/epic poems, and stuff like that. I think if you can't really converse in the language, to supplement with the added difficulty of learning it, the motive seems like it would be that you really want to read some old books in their original language, so that's sort of what my "why" was about. Like I think Platonic philosophy and Greek myth is neat thus ancient Greek, or I'd want to learn Pali for the Pali Canon, that sort of thing.

I fucking love etymology, though, and I have a bit of a natural aptitude for it because I have a decent vocabulary and stuff, but going so far as to learn a language makes me think that there's a lot of content you want to assimilate from that literary tradition. Like it sounds fun to learn Mandarin frivolously but you'd have to be a genius to be able to follow through on that without a more substantial motive.

Kevyt

As someone with chronic low self-esteem, I've learned: if a guy is so blunt in saying that he's into you, believe it.

How do you fight chronic low self-esteem? Some of us have it, at times, and can't really know a way to get around it...

HylianTom

Banned
How do you fight chronic low self-esteem? Some of us have it, at times, and can't really how to get around it...

I have no friggin' idea. Still haven't quite figured that one out.

Over time, I have noticed that chemistry and attraction are mysterious things. A person might think in his mind that he's unloveable/unattractive/unworthy/etc, while another person looking at him will completely dispute those ideas. I've seen it over and over again, and it's helped me a tiiiny bit. But those ideas still creep into my head.

How did you ever respond before? How would he expect you to keep in touch? Use that method.

What exactly are you afraid of? I don't think you're afraid of being happy. I think you're downplaying yourself and you're not confident enough. I'm sorry... but it looks like you have a low self esteem.

Oh I know I have low self esteem. Lol, I celebrate it. It defines me. Like chains dragging me. It's my thing...my shtick. Years and years of it.
I'm gonna leave him alone. I'll message him later...probably when I'm drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom