• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Link takes me to a thread about IGN by DarienA. That's you? If so, you're in Southern Maryland? O:

Hm. Maybe try again? I have two links, one to Kickstarter and one to a GAF thread, and they both lead to where I thought they did when I just tried them.

And I live in Indianapolis.

Kevyt

Hm. Maybe try again? I have two links, one to Kickstarter and one to a GAF thread, and they both lead to where I thought they did when I just tried them.

And I live in Indianapolis.

Oh. The kick starter one works. Your first link takes me to a thread about NewsCorp buying IGN from 2005 by DarrienA.

watch out. @HippieHobo is a #1 Stalker and an amazing bush trimmer.

I learned from the best.

Rayis

Speaking of topics of mine that hardly get any responses, I was just checking out The Mask You Wear Kickstarter page for updates recently and it is supposed to premier this month at the Sundance Film Festival. Once it is available for general viewing - perhaps on Netflix the way Miss Representation was - it could be a good time for a follow-up topic.

That someone else can make, so people post in it. (._. )

NICE! whenever the documentary premiers and I'm able to watch it, I could possibly make the thread about it, it'd give me time to gather my thoughts on it and able to deliver a quality thread on the issue.

Test out the post here or in a PM to some of us or Mumei
I'd probably end up doing that whenever The Mask You Live In premiers

I was watching the trailer about it on YouTube and there were a lot of criticism from men saying "You're just not letting men be men, we are not women" and I'm honestly the most interested in getting perspectives from those people, why do they feel like the documentary is treating men's issues with a feminine spin? That is a mystery to me since I'm unable to understand what a masculine way of dealing with the problem is.I don't understand masculinity in general.

I c what ya did thar, In such cases I'd rather they wouldn't go that deep LOL

Mumei

Oh. The kick starter one works. Your first link takes me to a thread about NewsCorp buying IGN from 2005 by DarrienA.

Oh, whoops. My thread ended with 622541; I accidentally deleted the 1 so it was 62254, which brings you to the other thread.

And Rayis, those perspectives don't make much sense to me. After all, these are not views that are being imposed on boys from outside, but are coming from the boys themselves; and many of the adults that we see in the video talking about this issue are adult men. But I think that perhaps makes more sense if your premise is gender essentialism. If you take that as your premise, then boys' issues stemming from playing the masculine role don't stem from that at all; they're just the way boys are, and attempts to get boys to act differently is not letting boys be boys.

Ty4on

Same with friends and colleagues working in newspaper or on television. Everyone is still in shock, therefore it's like the time is... suspended or something. Nothing will ever be the same after today.
Really sad and shocking.

If I were you one thing I would do is take some time away from the media. I don't know how you have reacted, but in situations like these I can get far too much information that just fill me with dispair. Utøya hit especially close to home because I had just left Oslo that morning and my siblings (both are fine) had been to political summer camps.

Rayis

Oh, whoops. My thread ended with 622541; I accidentally deleted the 1 so it was 62254, which brings you to the other thread.

And Rayis, those perspectives don't make much sense to me. After all, these are not views that are being imposed on boys from outside, but are coming from the boys themselves; and many of the adults that we see in the video talking about this issue are adult men. But I think that perhaps makes more sense if your premise is gender essentialism. If you take that as your premise, then boys' issues stemming from playing the masculine role don't stem from that at all; they're just the way boys are, and attempts to get boys to act differently is not letting boys be boys.

This is basically my view on it too, gender essentialism tends to ignore outliers and excuses behavior some boys may exhibit as just part of being male, it doesn't explain those of us who despite being born male don't have the urge to act in such a way, it's not a satisfactory answer.

Sai-kun

Banned
This is true.

I'm probably hunger-angry as well. No lunch today. Now I have shrimp on my mind..

Oh jeez I'm like this. If I don't eat well or when I get hungry, I get really snarky and mad. I really hate that about myself but I can't seem to break that part of myself. But I'm at least aware of it so I can inform people before I lash out at them hahaha

Oh jeez I'm like this. If I don't eat well or when I get hungry, I get really snarky and mad. I really hate that about myself but I can't seem to break that part of myself. But I'm at least aware of it so I can inform people before I lash out at them hahaha
Oh thank Christ I'm not the only one who's like that. If I don't eat, I get terribly grumpy and irritable, heh. But since I know that happens, yeah, I can at least let people know it's me not them.

Grizzo

Really sad and shocking.

If I were you one thing I would do is take some time away from the media. I don't know how you have reacted, but in situations like these I can get far too much information that just fill me with dispair. Utøya hit especially close to home because I had just left Oslo that morning and my siblings (both are fine) had been to political summer camps.

You're right. I logged out from Twitter and Facebook this afternoon. I'm quite sensitive to such an awful display of violence reported in the media. I still have some articles due for next week but those can wait for tomorrow. None of them dealing with the news though, I'm just writing about pop culture.

Watching TV tonight feels weird. Most TV shows that are usually recorded live have been cancelled. I'm talking about entertainment and light-hearted shows. None of them aired today.

The daily talk-show ones are still airing and they're all dedicated to that tragic news. I'm currently watching one of them. Needless to say, it's hard to watch, but necessary.

That's awful. Sorry to hear this and best wishes to you, Grizzo.[/img]

Just saw the news, hang in there man. Thoughts are with you guys. Stay strong. My condolences on this tragedy. :<

That's terrible, Grizzo. My thoughts go out to all these poor souls who lost someone through that attack, and to the ones like you who are in shock and fear over this tragedy. Stay strong. :(

Thanks guys. We lost some talented guys today. Their only goal was to make people laugh, week after week. That was such a noble cause.

That's so sad :(

This is so awful :( Bunch of disgusting sub-humans.

It's terrifying. But we can't let them win.

garyBig

I haven't even ever had sex yet. I'm trying to be all cliché and "save it for the one".

In regards to this matter, I actually feel like the stereotypey teenage girl who is pretty nervous about it. What if I don't please when it comes to it? Will it hurt? What should I do? so anxious... all dem expectations... I mean, hetero sex can't be this terrifying can it? That one makes too much sense with no doubts about what sex actually means in the first place.

DOWN

Banned
But the thirst... oh the thirst. It's unbearable sometimes.
rXSXQE6wys1hu.gif

Vitanimus

If you think your first time is going to be a pleasurable experience then I have some news for you

I empathise with people who wait for religious or spiritual reasons but besides that, I think people place too much sentiment on virginity and stuff

DOWN

Banned
In regards to this matter, I actually feel like the stereotypey teenage girl who is pretty nervous about it. What if I don't please when it comes to it? Will it hurt? What should I do? so anxious... all dem expectations... I mean, hetero sex can't be this terrifying can it? That one makes too much sense with no doubts about what sex actually means in the first place.
I think that factored into why I didn't see anything good about waiting for the 'one'. I wanted to feel free to get to know what I like, what the experience is, and whether or not what I am experiencing is really compatible and satisfying rather than not knowing for sure.

Nothing wrong with waiting a while until you feel comfortable and sure, whether that takes only a brief period of attraction for you or a long relationship.

If you think your first time is going to be a pleasurable experience then I have some news for you

I empathise with people who wait for religious or spiritual reasons but besides that, I think people place too much sentiment on virginity and stuff
Same. I don't think it's as big of a thing as people make it, personally. It's something many people enjoy and can include in their relationship.

I just hope you guys accept me here too
Absolutely!

Well that, and they don't wonder about it quite as much as we do. Less guesses, fewer occasions where they get it wrong.

This, too, though I find I don't really wonder about people that much. More than a straight guy I'm sure but I'm kind of an aloof asshole irl.

That or your own attraction to the person clouds your judgement one way or another.

Yeah this is a problem if attraction is a factor. But I think the other side of it accounts for the only actually meaningful part of 'gaydar' in the first place. Where we have an edge is recognizing the extra degree of social inhibition that comes from being a man attracted to other men ("takes one to know one"). There's a mixture of stiltedness, deliberate indifference, and interest that can be a pretty clear indication about someone, but only if you're a blip on their radar so those inhibitions are called into action. So there's a mutuality thing, I think the eyes tend to give it away.

I haven't even ever had sex yet. I'm trying to be all cliché and "save it for the one".

I think it's only cliché if you're hyper-romantic/unrealistic about it. I think it's an entirely valid sentiment to want sex to reflect a meaningful degree of intimacy, which also means that you actually have to like the other person quite a bit on the level of who they are or whatever.

Captcha

The only problem I have with "the one" mentality is "the one" might be shit in bed. You can get better at sex, but it's hard with nothing to reference. Plus, there is nothing quite like finding someone so good in bed it makes you want to punch a headboard.

Kevyt

As gary said, there's a lot of anxiety when it comes to it. I'm not sure if anxiety is the right word, but one is full of questions.

The only problem I have with "the one" mentality is "the one" might be shit in bed. You can get better at sex, but it's hard with nothing to reference. Plus, there is nothing quite like finding someone so good in bed it makes you want to punch a headboard.
Yeah, to clarify it doesn't have to exactly be "the one". For me it's more about finding someone I'm comfortable with if that makes sense?

Yeah the conceptualization of virginity is kinda fucked up but more power to the people waiting for the perfect one for the first time. At least that's way more special than: "hey wanna come over and fuck? There's kind of this animalistic need to have sex and I kinda want to wean that off. If it makes you feel better we can watch the first twenty minutes of a movie first"

Captcha

Yeah, to clarify it doesn't have to exactly be "the one". For me it's more about finding someone I'm comfortable with if that makes sense?

It absolutely does. Nerves are totally normal. I still get nervous when I sleep with someone the first time even though I'm not a virgin. I get a little competitive too though. I want them to remember me.

The one stereotypically knows how to fuck. No one fantasizes about a bloodless romance (not really, I'm sure some do).

There are plenty of problems with the idea of "the one", but I honestly don't really think anyone means it literally anymore.

garyBig

As gary said, there's a lot of anxiety when it comes to it. I'm not sure if anxiety is the right word, but one is full of questions.

I know right? Like, whenever someone in here talks about how they just had sex or something, I must restrain myself from assuming my psychotherapist pose (all notebook and tilted head^^) and blurting out: And by - sex - you mean...?

Odinson

A fellow cruiser indeed! I've only been on two, but oh well.

Looking to do #11 this year.

Finding someone your comfortable with is way more important. Someone who will be willing to take their time and be gentle with you. Someone you can let your walls down with. At least until you get into the rhythm of things.

Captcha

The one stereotypically knows how to fuck. No one fantasizes about a bloodless romance (not really, I'm sure some do).

There are plenty of problems with the idea of "the one", but I honestly don't really think anyone means it literally anymore.

Interesting choice of words.

Kevyt

Well whatever you guys. I'm still waiting for my Prince charming and I want my first time to be specifial with candles and rose petals in the bed with a record player playing romantic songs from the 40's and 50's. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662;&#65279; &#865;°)

DOWN

Banned
I know right? Like, whenever someone in here talks about how they just had sex or something, I must restrain myself from assuming my psychotherapist pose (all notebook and tilted head^^) and blurting out: And by - sex - you mean...?
What is the sex? How many sex?
tumblr_kxprziZwl71qzmvhdo1_400.gif

"Is that supposed to be sex, Lemon?"

If I ever have sex again feel free to ask anything

Well whatever you guys. I'm still waiting for my Prince charming and I want my first time to be specifial with candles and rose petals in the bed with a record player playing romantic songs from the 40's and 50's. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662;&#65279; &#865;°)

More power to you bruh bruh. The cuddles afterwards shall be epic
and almost the best part

Kater

Banned
I'm very respectful of everyone's beliefs, I'm a rather low key atheist. But man, we do know this crap is less common in secular societies :( Fundamentalism is incredibly dangerous because religious texts are plagued with awful crap.
It also has to do with how they grew up, I mean, we have violence in the Western society but at least we don't have the US and EU troops destroying our homes and maybe even kill your neighbours and other loved ones in the crossfire every other day. I can see how that anger about how other countries armies acting so carelessly when hunting for terrorists in your homeland can make you consider joining them, and then there are these extreme split groups of the Islam which use exactly those people who are already fueled with anger and brainwash them into their killing machines "in the name of Allah" (which I find is much more blasphemic than some silly caricature). And then stuff like this happens. It's terrible, but we also brought it onto ourselves.

I just hope you guys accept me here too
Of course we do, bubba. :D <3

DOWN

Banned
Someone you can lay with when you're still wearing clothes is the dream. Nothing like pressing your face against his shirt and listening to his voice for a while.

hi, my name is DMPrince

Charming? yeah. good luck with that one. the best you'd get from me is some ice cream and cake and watch some movies.

terrisus

Well, I mean, my wife was with a bunch of people before me, but that doesn't help very much with the fact that I'm "shit in bed" >.>

daripad

At this point in what I would like is to get experience so when the one comes there are no complications and the moment feels magical. Now getting someone to just do it with is the hard part for me &#128514;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom