• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ick. All you 'education' types make me feel dumb, with your 'aim' and your 'direction' and your 'life goals'.

You're clearly not dumb. And I'm convinced at least for me that a lot of it is a kind of bluster where it would be nice to find some kind of niche that you'd be happy with, but who knows how that will actually play out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm super jealous of computer/programmer/IT guys, in a way. Y'all are going to be making more in your first few years than I ever could. Sucks to be awful at math and sciences in today's job world.

Kevyt

Ick. All you 'education' types make me feel dumb, with your 'aim' and your 'direction' and your 'life goals'.

You're 17 aren't you? -_-

Cheer up man. ;)

I'm super jealous of computer/programmer/IT guys, in a way. Y'all are going to be making more in your first few years than I ever could. Sucks to be awful at math and sciences in today's job world.

Yeah well technology is in the rise. There are a lot of jobs in STEM areas, but it's also very competitive.

You're clearly not dumb. And I'm convinced at least for me that a lot of it is a kind of bluster where it would be nice to find some kind of niche that you'd be happy with, but who knows how that will actually play out.

Well, that's the annoying thing. The fact that I have to wait and see what I'm good at, when I'm expected to know what I want to do, when I want to do it. Oh, and I'm very good at hiding the fact that I am dumb.

You're 17 aren't you? -_-

Cheer up man. ;)

Yeah well technology is in the rise. There are a lot of jobs in STEM areas, but it's also very competitive.

I'm no STEM person. But Journalism's amoral, actings hit-or-miss, and I'm not good enough at music for it to be anything more than a hobby, so IT was all I could do.

Also, I'm a 17 year-old in 2015. Pessimism is kinda commonplace. :p

Ehh. Not if you get into IT and are absolutely loathing of everyone and everything in it. I can't go back, really.

terrisus

It's never too late and with your knowledge being a math major, you would do great.

Yeah, I mean, I'm going to be going back for a Master's in IT, and I know the Mathematics will be useful to have as well...

Just:

I'm super jealous of computer/programmer/IT guys, in a way. Y'all are going to be making more in your first few years than I ever could.

Yeah, that.

Seriously, I started college in 2001. I've spent 13 years in college.
If I had started out with CS/IT, I could've had a job paying piles of money in half that time, as opposed to the situation I've been in all these years, and am in now.

I'm just full of regrets at bad life decisions =(

It sounds nice on paper, doesn't it? >.>

I have a friend I've known for almost 10 years. We went to school together and we have a history. But recently when we go hang out or do something she invites her husband to come. I don't know if I'd say we're friends in that we hang out and talk, but we're friendly when I'm visiting her house and we have some same interests. And I don't mind that he comes along sometimes. But it seems like its every single time now and I don't know why. Even when I specifically mention just her and me he ends up coming.

Its really pretty strange. I thought I would casually bring it up but I know she would probably take it the wrong way. Girls are hard to talk to. >_<

Kevyt

Well, that's the annoying thing. The fact that I have to wait and see what I'm good at, when I'm expected to know what I want to do, when I want to do it. Oh, and I'm very good at hiding the fact that I am dumb.

I'm no STEM person. But Journalism's amoral, actings hit-or-miss, and I'm not good enough at music for it to be anything more than a hobby, so IT was all I could do.

Also, I'm a 17 year-old in 2015. Pessimism is kinda commonplace. :p

Ehh. Not if you get into IT and are absolutely loathing of everyone and everything in it. I can't go back, really.

Snap some positivism in your system young man.

I wouldn't be that eager to find a niche unless you plan to retire at 40 or something. In some ways it's nice having a lot of interests, none of the stuff you learn is really a waste.

I have a friend I've known for almost 10 years. We went to school together and we have a history. But recently when we go hang out or do something she invites her husband to come. I don't know if I'd say we're friends in that we hang out and talk, but we're friendly when I'm visiting her house and we have some same interests. And I don't mind that he comes along sometimes. But it seems like its every single time now and I don't know why. Even when I specifically mention just her and me he ends up coming.

Its really pretty strange. I thought I would casually bring it up but I know she would probably take it the wrong way. Girls are hard to talk to. >_<

I don't know why she'd take it the wrong way. It's a compliment to want one on one time with someone, and ultimately understandable considering you're not really friends with her husband, worst case scenario is maybe that she doesn't want to, or that's a conversation she doesn't want to have with her husband.

I wouldn't be that eager to find a niche unless you plan to retire at 40 or something. In some ways it's nice having a lot of interests, none of the stuff you learn is really a waste.

I don't know why she'd take it the wrong way. It's a compliment to want one on one time with someone, and ultimately understandable considering you're not really friends with her husband, worst case scenario is maybe that she doesn't want to, or that's a conversation she doesn't want to have with her husband.

It all makes sense to me and I agree with you. She is often pretty sensitive but maybe there is something else going on she hasn't told me about.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

!!!!!!!!

umop_3pisdn
(Today, 01:38 PM)

16426027q9onk.gif

upside_down

giphy.gif

<3

Grizzo

Don't be afraid to tell her you want to see her by herself. She'll understand. Surely she must know that your relationship isn't as strong as it once was. She can't force her husband on you (no sexual innuendo intended).

terrisus

you know I think I would have been all over it if only it had been released in Europe in the 90s :(

now I just need to get a used copy of the DS version

Yeah, between Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Mario RPG, Europe definitely had it rough in the 1990s.

Grizzo

Yeah, between Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Mario RPG, Europe definitely had it rough in the 1990s.

I played Earthbound for the first time in 2012. It blew me away. Hands down one of my favorite games ever.

Funny thing is played Mother 3 in 2010, so I was already kinda familiar with the "Mother" atmosphere and quirks.

Never gave Super Mario RPG a chance. I only played 2 minutes of it and got confused. Which is weird, because I absolutely adore Paper Mario and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

terrisus

I played Earthbound for the first time in 2012. It blew me away. Hands down one of my favorite games ever.

Funny thing is played Mother 3 in 2010, so I was already kinda familiar with the "Mother" atmosphere and quirks.

Never gave Super Mario RPG a chance. I only played 2 minutes of it and got confused. Which is weird, because I absolutely adore Paper Mario and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Glad to hear you loved Earthbound, since that's my 2nd-favorite game ever.
Sorry you had to wait so long to play it though.

Mother 3 is amazing as well.
I imported it from Japan as soon as it came out, and played through it multiple times with a translation guide before the translation was done for it.

I prefer every Paper Mario game over SMRPG.

Even Sticker Star?
Because if so, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore >.>

Snap some positivism in your system young man.

But it's so harrddddddd. :c

Well, yeah, but I guess I just... Want to earn money ASAP. As in, really badly. As in, I burned a few (well, A LOT of) bridges with my folks, and likely won't be welcome in their house when I'm 18. It's not so much me wanting to retire at 40, so much as it is me wanting to not be homeless at 18. Ah, well. These things... Happen, I guess...

Kevyt

But it's so harrddddddd. :c

Well, yeah, but I guess I just... Want to earn money ASAP. As in, really badly. As in, I burned a few (well, A LOT of) bridges with my folks, and likely won't be welcome in their house when I'm 18. It's not so much me wanting to retire at 40, so much as it is me wanting to not be homeless at 18. Ah, well. These things... Happen, I guess...

I know the feeling. I burned a lot of bridges with my friends. You know you remind me a lot of me when I was your age. Ah yes, I remember when I was 17, fun times. Actually, they were terrible times now that I properly remember. Good thing we age, we become old and forgot all about them.

RM8

It's not a RPG and it's not flawless. But it's a superb puzzle-adventure game with the best music in the series. I love Sticker Star even if GAF bullies because of it :p

terrisus

It's not a RPG and it's not flawless. But it's a superb puzzle-adventure game with the best music in the series. I love Sticker Star even if GAF bullies because of it :p

It could have been a good game...
But there was literally no incentive whatsoever to engage in battles.

I suppose eventually the enemies you were defeating would drop better stickers than the ones you used to defeat them, but even then, that would only encourage you to have like a dozen battles, and then go back to avoiding them.

RM8

It could have been a good game...
But there was literally no incentive whatsoever to engage in battles.

I suppose eventually the enemies you were defeating would drop better stickers than the ones you used to defeat them, but even then, that would only encourage you to have like a dozen battles, and then go back to avoiding them.
I engaged in battles to get stickers :p Clearly that was not the focus of the game, and maybe it should have been a better design choice to add a stronger incentive for battles, but I don't pretend it's perfect - I stand by my opinion that is a great puzzle-adventure game.

And it outsold previous PM games :3

I know the feeling. I burned a lot of bridges with my friends. You know you remind me a lot of me when I was your age. Ah yes, I remember when I was 17, fun times. Actually, they were terrible times now that I properly remember. Good thing we age, we become old and forgot all about them.

Aye. Nostalgia be a powerful thing, ya? I wish it was like in the movies. For me. As in, I was a sexy movie 17 year-old, with a perfectly smooth face, and no understanding of money.

Grizzo

Glad to hear you loved Earthbound, since that's my 2nd-favorite game ever.
Sorry you had to wait so long to play it though.

It's alright, better late than never!

I engaged in battles to get stickers :p Clearly that was not the focus of the game, and maybe it should have been a better design choice to add a stronger incentive for battles, but I don't pretend it's perfect - I stand by my opinion that is a great puzzle-adventure game.

And it outsold previous PM games :3

well it's not really about the sales though. That being said, I'm glad that the Paper Mario franchise is alive and healthy, but I want a real sequel to the Gamecube game.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
With all this game talk does anyone like Golden Sun? I'm an hour into Dark Dawn but wonder if it's worth it to experience the first two games before I continue? I missed out on most of the GBA era. Problem is only the 1st Golden Sun is available on Canada's eShop :/

I prefer every Paper Mario game over SMRPG.

I agree minus Sticker Star. I loved it and the hate on GAF is overblown (what else is new). TTYD is my fave but Super Pario Mario is the true underrated gem of the series, that heartbreaking story :(

Delio

With all this game talk does anyone like Golden Sun? I'm an hour into Dark Dawn but wonder if it's worth it to experience the first two games before I continue? I missed out on most of the GBA era. Problem is only the 1st Golden Sun is available on Canada's eShop :/

I LOVED Golden Sun. The last game didnt hold a candle to the older games tbh.

terrisus

They're very fun games, and I definitely recommend playing them both.

And don't worry about the 2nd one not being on the eShop yet. It probably will be soon enough, plus, if need be, you can always just take the password from the VC version of 1 into the cartridge version of 2.

Grizzo

I loved the first two Golden Sun, but I never played the third one

All I can say is that they're both great games. The third one was not well-received so I was put off by it. Maybe I should give it a chance someday.

Bladenic

Golden Sun was pretty boring, started Lost Age but didn't get far.

Paper Mario is one of my favorite games ever, I also adore TTYD. SPM bored me to death and I have yet to try Sticker Star.

RM8

This.

Oh man. Paper Mario 64 is probably one of my favourite games of all time o__o!
For real :] One of my favorite games too.

Paper Mario is one of my favorite games ever, I also adore TTYD. SPM bored me to death and I have yet to try Sticker Star.
SS is very different from SPM, but also from the first two games. Just have that in mind, I feel like a big portion of SS hate comes from the fact that it's not like the first two games. In reality it's not even a RPG - and with the existence of Mario & Luigi, I'm okay with Paper Mario pursuing a different genre, personally.

I'm a computer science major too. Programming is fine for me but I'm not exactly passionate about it TBH. I'm wanting to get a systems administrator job somewhere.

Delio

Oh god i just read the Sticker Star stuff. I really disliked that game like i missed the normal level ups and having partners. Having to constantly go pull stickers off something just didnt work for me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom