• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
tumblr_moy609j9UI1qffcrao4_500.gif

tumblr_n85fueq5Cq1qffcrao4_500.gif

tumblr_n85fueq5Cq1qffcrao6_500.gif

Adam Cowie

terrisus

Thanks for the Good Nights all =)

Hey guys quick gaming question that maybe you can help with.

What PC games would you recommend for a rather old laptop? Preferably nothing too spec heavy or recent, but other than that recommend away. I can go for any type of game though, mainly I'm looking for something fun to play with my friends. My Steam library is pretty much all single player stuff, so it's kind of like stepping into new territory for me I guess.

Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

They're amazing single-player games, but they can be played multiplayer as well.

Got invited to be the best man at a friends wedding. Super excited. What exactly does the best man do though?

Oh fuck do I have to prepare a speech?

I had my friend be the best man at my wedding. He didn't really have to do anything fancy, just get dressed up, go to a rehearsal, and then stand around with a ring. And then eat at the reception. Didn't make him prepare a big speech or anything.

But, obviously, everyone's different. Ask your friend what they had in mind for you to do.

red13th

Excited about this book called Massive: Gay Erotic Manga and the Men Who Make It (not terribly SFW). Hate that this specific article mentions "bara" as Tagame and other artists' style but shows how little the writer knows about gay manga, the fact that the book itself doesn't (at least seems not to) is a relief - expected though since they interviewed actual Japanese artists and not random people on the internet (gay manga purist).

It's a shame that the video doesn't show Takeshi Matsu, he's cute.
Pretty cool that this website "Massive" sells original doujinshi and compilations too but most seem to be sold out. For like 3 times the price they are sold in Japan, but still cool I guess. :p

Mr_Zombie

Today I finished reading my first book of the year and I'm still reading The Two Towers but I know once school begins again it will suck my time so much that I won't do anything else so I won't participate in the challenge. Though I'm already reading more avidly than last year so I think I'll end up reading a decent amount of books this year. And movies, well, I saw Exodus two days ago, I'll keep going to the movies once every two or three weeks if possible.

Maybe try reading during class breaks, on your way to/from school (if you're using public transport) and whenever you have some forced free time (like waiting in line) that you would otherwise spend doing nothing. That plus about half an hour before sleep should already give you some time to read.

As I said earlier, during last year I was reading mostly in public transport (about 1.5 - 2 hours per day) and that way managed to read 52 books (~270 pages each on average).

Got invited to be the best man at a friends wedding. Super excited. What exactly does the best man do though?

Oh fuck do I have to prepare a speech?

I have bad news for you.
You will probably also be responsible for the bachelor night.

This is why I dread whenever one of my friends get married. That I will be chosen to be the best man.

You dare not bold Hearthstone?

Heathen.

Forget Heathen. He didn't even bold Metal Slug 3. Metal fucking Slug 3, man. :(

Hey guys quick gaming question that maybe you can help with.

What PC games would you recommend for a rather old laptop? Preferably nothing too spec heavy or recent, but other than that recommend away. I can go for any type of game though, mainly I'm looking for something fun to play with my friends. My Steam library is pretty much all single player stuff, so it's kind of like stepping into new territory for me I guess.

What kind of "old laptop" are we talking about? Because on my (now dead) 7+ year old one (Radeon 3200HD, Athlon Dual-Core 1.9Ghz, 4GB RAM) I was able to play games (focusing on co-op/multiplayer ones) like RE5, Left for Dead 1 and 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Call of Duty 4 etc. They weren't pretty (low-mid settings, below 720p resolution) but hey - they worked. And I'm sure your laptop isn't that old (in my case the main bottleneck was the integrated graphic card). It would help if you'd give us your specs.

RM8

Integrated GPUs are the bane of my existence because I like small PCs :( I have no use for a massive tower I can't take anywhere. I can't believe making a small PC with upgradeable GPU is pretty much impossible.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Fitness dilemna!

I got a benefit @ work that'll allow me to get a treadmill or a free membership to any gym of my choosing (those are the options I've decided on). What would you guys think is the better option? I'm on the top floor of my apt so I don't know how much noise a treadmill could cause through the floor and if the downstairs neighbors could complain. On the other hand I'm also self conscious about people "watching"
judging
me work out and not a fan of crowds so I'd have to go late (24 hour gym).

Mr_Zombie

Integrated GPUs are the bane of my existence because I like small PCs :( I have no use for a massive tower I can't take anywhere. I can't believe making a small PC with upgradeable GPU is pretty much impossible.

Nowadays most laptops have both integrated and dedicated GPUs. I was able to finish whole RE6 on my mom's notebook (I was still using my old laptop; only few months later it finally died and I was "forced" to buy myself a new PC :p) and the game run smooth as butter on mid-high settings.

Fitness dilemna!

I got a benefit @ work that'll allow me to get a treadmill or a free membership to any gym of my choosing (those are the options I've decided on). What would you guys think is the better option? I'm on the top floor of my apt so I don't know how much noise a treadmill could cause through the floor and if the downstairs neighbors could complain. On the other hand I'm also self conscious about people "watching"
judging

From my experience, treadmills aren't that loud, so keeping it in an apartment shouldn't be a problem. But I would still choose free gym membership. Free weights > treadmills. ;)

And don't worry about people judging you; just put your headphones on and focus on your workout.

Kevyt

There are small GPU's fpr HTPC's. Take for example GTX 750 ti and Gigabytes GTX 970 mini ITX:

Personally, I like them big.

Fitness dilemna!

judging

Gym membership would be better in my opinion. The reason being that at a gym you can use various equipments to work on different areas. A treadmill is nice but the only thing you're doing is running. At the gym you can do many more things. Don't worry about people judging you. Chances are there are more people like you, worried that you could be the one judging them! The only bad thing about large crowds is having to wait.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gym membership would be better in my opinion. The reason being that at a gym you can use various equipments to work on different areas. A treadmill is nice but the only thing you're doing is running. At the gym you can do many more things. Don't worry about people judging you. Chances are there are more people like you, worried that you could be the one judging them! The only bad thing about large crowds is having to wait.

From my experience, treadmills aren't that loud, so keeping it in an apartment shouldn't be a problem. But I would still choose free gym membership. Free weights > treadmills. ;)

And don't worry about people judging you; just put your headphones on and focus on your workout.

Ah thanks guys :) I think I'm gonna go with the gym membership. I def couldn't workout without music but it'll be awkward having my massive phablet phone on me as I workout lmao as I gave my old ipod to my brother a while back haha

Ty4on

It's getting better.
FT03B-Mini-34View-02.jpg
ftz01b-34right-2.jpg

The former is an odd shape, but having all the connections on the top makes it really easy when I'm moving it and it fits nicely inside this bag with room to spare for the keyboard, mouse, wires and headset. The latter is quite a lot bigger* than a console, but really small for a complete desktop computer with internal PSU and both space and cooling for a high end GPU (like the GTX 980). It's so much smaller than the former because the GPU lies on its side. That also means the GPU breathes better.

Former is Silverstone FT03-mini and latter is Silverstone FTZ01 (a much uglier version, the RVZ01, is also available). I love Silverstone because they make a lot of affordable and great looking cases and aren't afraid of taking risks. The rest of the industry seems to believe we still need 5+ harddrives and expansion cards as if it's 1999.

*The case looks different because it is the RVZ01. They're both identical apart from the looks.

terrisus

The rest of the industry seems to believe we still need 5+ harddrives and expansion cards as if it's 1999.

I have 3 hard drives, and will probably be putting in a 4th in a couple of months
in my laptop >.>

I like storage space :þ

Ty4on

I have 3 hard drives, and will probably be putting in a 4th in a couple of months
in my laptop >.>

I like storage space :þ

Four 2.5 inch drives? The FT03-m can fit two small drives, one big and a third small drive if you replace the slim optical drive with an adapter so you could still use it :D
The HDD case (where one 3.5 and one 2.5 are fitted) is a mess though so I'll probably just velcro my second SSD somewhere inside when I get it :p

Kevyt

Ah thanks guys :) I think I'm gonna go with the gym membership. I def couldn't workout without music but it'll be awkward having my massive phablet phone on me as I workout lmao as I gave my old ipod to my brother a while back haha

There's a lot of people that will go the gym with their phablet phones listening to music.

terrisus

Four 2.5 inch drives? The FT03-m can fit two small drives, one big and a third small drive if you replace the slim optical drive with an adapter so you could still use it :D
The HDD case (where one 3.5 and one 2.5 are fitted) is a mess though so I'll probably just velcro my second SSD somewhere inside when I get it :p

Well, one's an mSATA SSD
Then 2 regular hard drive slots
Then going to be replacing the optical bay with another hard drive (one of the regular ones in there now, and stick another SSD into one of the regular slots)

Mr_Zombie

who is that?

and is he naked anywhere online?

Yes, yes he is. Just saw his photo on tumblr (unless that's a photoshop, but it doesn't matter). :3
Look him (Marc Buckner) up on tumblr's tags.

Well, one's an mSATA SSD
Then 2 regular hard drive slots
Then going to be replacing the optical bay with another hard drive (one of the regular ones in there now, and stick another SSD into one of the regular slots)

o_O
What are you doing that you need so much space?

Kevyt

Well, that's a random place.

But, my view is - the more storage, the better!

I don't like deleting anything, and I like multiple backups (on separate drives, on external drives, and off-site)

Yes, I'm a bit obsessive... >.>

Hmmm... sound suspicious.

daripad

Maybe try reading during class breaks, on your way to/from school (if you're using public transport) and whenever you have some forced free time (like waiting in line) that you would otherwise spend doing nothing. That plus about half an hour before sleep should already give you some time to read.

As I said earlier, during last year I was reading mostly in public transport (about 1.5 - 2 hours per day) and that way managed to read 52 books (~270 pages each on average)

I won't reas during class breaks (I use that time to read for school or eating) but reading while commuting is a good idea. I think I'll manage to read at least 20 books by the end of the year if I put a lot of effort, even more considering school breaks.

No reading before going to sleep though, time for sleeping is valuable for me 😅

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's programming and a lot of theory, typically.

I just realized I don't like my major at all... :(

Wish I could change it but I'm already this far.

How far? Unless it's like your last year or something I would definitely switch, otherwise you will probably just switch later when you realize you hate the work. University involves a lot of sunk costs for a lot of people because half of an undergrad degree is figuring out your interests.

Mr_Zombie

Computer Science. I'm not even good at math, lol.

From personal experience, once you finish studies, there's a huge chance you won't even need (advanced) math in your job.

Unless you hate the computer science in general (programming and all that IT stuff); in that case, why do you even major this?

mantidor

So I finally clarified everything with my friend :) there was this huge misunderstanding, I was sharing his Facebook profile link to my other friend and accidentally posted it in his messenger, when he opened it he saw his own profile which was completely odd of course and then he got a virus infection, he obviously thought it was me, being the computer nerd I am, so that's why he blocked me from everything and was kind of freaked out about the whole thing obviously, he thought I was hacking him. I randomly found him on the street and we could clarify everything, I apologized for the fight before and everything is good now.

Kevyt

How far? Unless it's like your last year or something I would definitely switch, otherwise you will probably just switch later when you realize you hate the work. University involves a lot of sunk costs for a lot of people because half of an undergrad degree is figuring out your interests.

I guess I'm not that far. I'm into my third semester, and it's been a drag so far. I'll probably have do a minor too. I love humanity classes.

From personal experience, once you finish studies, there's a huge chance you won't even need (advanced) math in your job.

Unless you hate the computer science in general (programming and all that IT stuff); in that case, why do you even major this?

Well IT, and programming are a bit different. I love everything tech related, but I find programming a bit boring tbh. The professors are also very boring and I dislike large classes. I miss the smaller classes.

So I finally clarified everything with my friend :) there was this huge misunderstanding, I was sharing his Facebook profile link to my other friend and accidentally posted it in his messenger, when he opened it he saw his own profile which was completely odd of course and then he got a virus infection, he obviously thought it was me, being the computer nerd I am, so that's why he blocked me from everything and was kind of freaked out about the whole thing obviously, he thought I was hacking him. I randomly found him on the street and we could clarify everything, I apologized for the fight before and everything is good now.

That's good, but I wonder why he didn't tell you before. Glad everything's back to normal with your friend. :)

I guess I'm not that far. I'm into my third semester, and it's been a drag so far. I'll probably have do a minor too. I love humanity classes.

I'd think about why you're studying it. Because there are always lots of reasons, but actually sifting through them to find solid ones can be really tough, because often we're thinking of the benefits in a fairly abstract way. I struggle with it a lot. Sometimes when we're trying to be realistic about our prospects or passions we actually do the very opposite. I don't think it's so much that we have to study something that is our passion, but the work involved has to engage us enough that we can find some kind of occupational fulfillment through it, which I think usually has to do more with the kind of cognitive skills you're using, like thinking in certain ways can often either feel like it helps you to be more yourself in a way, or hinders it. Like if you're into solving certain kinds of problems, or research, or whatever?

I'm a criminology major.. It ended up being one of those majors that I didn't mind going into it, but ended up loving it more and more with each semester.

terrisus

I wish I had done Computer Science instead of Mathematics for my major.

Unfortunately, I'm about 8 years too late on that >.>

enigmatic_alex44

I've been getting the urge recently to finally do a Chrono Trigger replay.

Wonder why.

>.>

<.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom