• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

ironcreed

Banned
yup yup.

did you know where to get the mandragora root for the girl whose father is sick ?

Yes, I found it at that South Station shop just from exploring.
That happened for a few quests tonight and that is when I finally began to relax and enjoy it even more. I never felt pressed for time.

Shinta

Banned
Putting Soldier's Band on Equilibrium looks pretty neat.

Wow, equip Etro's Champion blade (XIII-2 costume) on your default and attack while on the map. The tracer effect is really cool looking.

HeelPower

Yes, I found it at that South Station shop just from exploring.
That happened for a few quests tonight and that is when I finally begin to relax and enjoy it even more. I never felt pressed for time.

thnx...I found the doll when I just looking around and it was like HOLYSHIT FOUND THE DOLL xd

ironcreed

Banned
Very awesome shots. How are you getting them online? I didn't link it to anything yet.

I'm actually really liking Outerworld a lot. You can check out posts from people and rate them up, and take screenshots.

I think something like that will be huge in XV.

I just linked up a facebook account in the settings for Outerworld. It sends them there when you submit.

Falk

that puzzling face
15 hours in and I'm done. I have no motivation to keep playing. I'll probably finish it next month some time when I have time to waste. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is good. I like the customization and the core battle system, though I still give XIII the crown because of the overall balance, strategy, and fine tuning it had. It's just... not enough to keep me going anymore.

Despite all the flack XIII gets for the story, it had enough potential, execution, and interesting concepts to get me through the first 25 to 30 hours. I then sunk another 80 or so hours in because of the gameplay.

I barely got through XIII-2. I finished the story and then read all the other fragments online and watched all the extra cutscenes on youtube.

LR... I don't know what went wrong. It's not like they had a change in the writing staff like some games do.
Making Lightning emotionless as a plot point was just a stupid fucking idea. I want to see Lightning's struggles. I want to see her get emotional. But no, instead, monologue after monologue of how she doesn't care about anything (not even Serah) which are later contradicted constantly. When Lightning isn't being hilariously cold, she's going into melodramatic overtures.
Several plot points are redundant, motivations are reused, the other characters have actually been distilled to their basic elements, the tone is inconsistent, the overall writing is inconsistent, and the overall experience is a hollow one. I find it even hard to write this much about the game I care so little about it (kinda like Lightning in the game, lol).

I don't know. Maybe some time away from the trilogy would be good so I can go back in with a fresh perspective. But as it is, LR just doesn't do it for me. The gameplay should have been enough to keep me going, but I'm just so disappointed in the story that it seems that it's not. More power to the people who really seem to be enjoying the game.

That's a massive bummer, man. I was waiting for the meltdown, not a fizzle.

Leeness

Hahaha oh man, I think this is one of the most awkward games I've ever played.

Lightning is trying so hard to be cool, she reeks of desperation. Lumina's animation is puppetesque and jerky all over the place and she has a Sims smile (also lmao the gothic Lolita). Hope interrupting himself all over the place ("Light, this is how you jump, by-- OMG LIGHT LOOK A DOOR THIS IS HOW YOU OP-- Light did you know Yusnaan is the last place of hope? :("). And the constant herp derp Saviour God Light save souls you're the saviour god made me saviour for all these souls. Lightning contradicting herself ("I'm super sad about my dead sister look how emotionless I am"). Guy can't find Holmes, who is ten feet away. Holmes can't walk those ten feet without my help.

It's insane.

So I put Lightning in a cute hat and smacked some weird niblet around.

Reached the final boss battle, it was really easy but I wasn't careful enough so I died.... going to bed now since I've been playing for non stop 12 hours.

The story at the end become REALLY laughable.... seriously how did they come up with all that stuff? OMG LOL XD

Can't wait to wake up and see how Lightning's story finally ends :p

rataven

Just came across a dude in Luxerion strumming an acoustic version of the New Bodhum theme from XIII-2. OMG I love that track.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I put Lightning in a cute hat and smacked some weird niblet around.

You haven't experienced what Lightning Returns has to offer till (Yusnaan spoiler etc)
you have a heart-to-heart talk with Snow
while Lightning is wearing Mermaid garb with a moogle pom-pom.

MCD

After first main boss
Noel
beat my ass 3 times I barely managed to defeat him...and then they gave me new outfits that I needed badly before fighting him.

THIS GAME

Edit: maybe I'm doing something wrong but I feel like my Lightning is seriously weak. I fear going after the next main quest and getting destroyed again.

The journey continues

BgU3DLtCAAECYWu.jpg

BgVZQ2XCYAEBuXB.jpg:large

BgVSwrzCAAAp0im.jpg:large

BgVOHo6CQAAyui6.jpg:large

kick51

Banned
it sounds like X-2 but you only play as Paine

eh, i didn't get it at launch, now I may as well wait, but I am loving the impressions

Leeness

You haven't experienced what Lightning Returns has to offer till (Yusnaan spoiler etc)
you have a heart-to-heart talk with Snow
while Lightning is wearing Mermaid garb with a moogle pom-pom.

Glorious, I'll make sure I find the most ridiculous outfits possible.

rataven

Still haven't opened my copy because Amazon never gave me a Cloud Code, I refuse to play it until they get this shit worked out.

Don't they send it via email? Provided you pre-ordered the game, contact them and ask to have the email resent. I accidentally deleted a preorder code before and it was zero trouble to have it sent again.

Beth Cyra

Don't they send it via email? Provided you pre-ordered the game, contact them and ask to have the email resent. I accidentally deleted a preorder code before and it was zero trouble to have it sent again.

I did. Thing is, this has happened to alot of people who ordered from Amazon.

In fact Amazon reps didn't even know about the Preorder bonus for like 12 hours and only found out after they contacted the Marketing Department, and then they gave us who complained a email that said we would have to wait 2 to 3 days to hear back.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished the Luxerion main quest and honestly enjoying this quite a bit.

Feel like Ive made the game a bit too easy by using Cloud's Buster sword, but still fought some challenging fights (those big ass Dragons in the Chaos clouds, the giant Bahamut thingys in the Wildlands at night...)

Although Graphically uneven, the arc environment is totes beautiful

rataven

I did. Thing is, this has happened to alot of people who ordered from Amazon.

In fact Amazon reps didn't even know about the Preorder bonus for like 12 hours and only found out after they contacted the Marketing Department, and then they gave us who complained a email that said we would have to wait 2 to 3 days to hear back.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, sounds like their screw-up then. Hope it works out for you. If any DLC is worth the trouble, it's Cloud.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Guys I need your help. One of my friends just bought the asian-english version, yet everytime he is trying to download the patch for LR (there's one apparently), it gets stuck at 99% of the download and then gives an error. Anyone knows why and what he can do?

lupin23rd

Started to get frustrated with the game tonight.

Got to the first boss (in the Warrens) and just couldn't seem to beat him. Let the day expire since it was like 30 minutes left, and of course I get sent right back in front of the boss on the next morning - which is a problem because the gates are closed so I can't go anywhere until midnight, or I beat the boss?

Any tips or setup suggestions for taking on the boss?
Alternatively, is there a way to get back to the Ark easily so I can trigger the NG+ immediately (and set to easy mode lol)?

Giolon

Started to get frustrated with the game tonight.

Got to the first boss (in the Warrens) and just couldn't seem to beat him. Let the day expire since it was like 30 minutes left, and of course I get sent right back in front of the boss on the next morning - which is a problem because the gates are closed so I can't go anywhere until midnight, or I beat the boss?

Any tips or setup suggestions for taking on the boss?
Alternatively, is there a way to get back to the Ark easily so I can trigger the NG+ immediately (and set to easy mode lol)?

You can get out of the Warren in the exit near Old Town. There's a ladder leading over the wall.

My setup for taking on the boss was Nocturne Outfit + Sparkstrike, Red Mage Outfit + Thunder and Thundara, then something Rouge w/ Deprotect & Deshell built in but the mobs immediately prior to the boss have a chance of dropping those spells. They also have a chance of dropping a sweet sword that steals buffs when you use Heavy Strike on someone that has Shell, Protect, and Veil? up at the same time.

It only took two tries for me to beat it, and I got almost no sidequests done beforehand b/c I had no idea where I should've been going.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Thoraxes

Just finished the Luxerion main quest (5-starred the boss too!). Just gonna randomly go somewhere and see what happens next.

I really liked the way the story went in Luxerion, and the ultimate result of that. It was great when
you go back to the Ark and Lumina is all "I faked it to get him to kill you". And I liked that Yuel came out in the end anyways to tell him her message.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does 5 starring bosses matter?

rybrad

Anyone know how long the game is if you want to do everything? I am thinking about renting it but will probably only have a week and a half or so to play it.

I don't know if it's only in Canada, but i've seen the package at retail and Cloud comes in the first printing of the game. Like, it's printed right on the package... not even a sticker.

I don't have the game yet.... I downloaded it....

yeah turned out it was on the store, then they removed it until friday.
thats when the game comes out here.

anyway i got the game a day early.

what the hell is with the cover? way to ruin a series of covers square enix!!!!! no classic white backdrop this time :'(

Yoshichan

Hmmm, I guess you win more EP that way, but otherwise I dunno. In FFXIII-2 5 starring would grant you a 200% bonus to loot things.

But bosses always dropped the same stuff despite having 1 or 5 stars in XIII-2. Same with XIII.

Hmmm... the last boss is kicking my behind so hard :\

Do I keep doing side quests to level up or do I just do the
4 trails in the cathedral
before the last fight?

Yoshichan

The opening page of the strategy guide, please tell me if this is bannable. I'll remove it asap!

edit: thanks for the clarification Mesharey!

I don't want to look at the trophy list because of spoilers but there isn't one that requires all sub quests done on a play through is there? I'm guessing yes... =[

Mesharey

Yes, I think scanning guides/magazines is not allowed.

There's an update 1.01 what does it do?
I can use Rise if my EP is less than 3 even though it costs 3 EP points, is this a glitch?

TheGrue

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I've played the first day and when I got into fights with the two robot enemies (the mosquito-looking one and the other bigger mech thing), they just take forever to kill. With the mosquito, I stagger it, but it doesn't seem to stay there long and I am blasting it with spells, which it is weak to and it still just seems to take forever. I only fought one of the other mech thing and so I am blanking on what the stagger condition was. I think it was weak to electricity and I was pumping that into it, but I am also quick to use up the ATB bars on all three characters. Maybe they're supposed to just take a while to fight, but I feel like I could be doing better.

Koozek

Yes, I think scanning guides/magazines is not allowed.

There's an update 1.01 what does it do?
I can use Rise if my EP is less than 3 even though it costs 3 EP points, is this a glitch?

Man, I was wondering about the Rise skill, too! Does anybody know why that is?

RS4-

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I've played the first day and when I got into fights with the two robot enemies (the mosquito-looking one and the other bigger mech thing), they just take forever to kill. With the mosquito, I stagger it, but it doesn't seem to stay there long and I am blasting it with spells, which it is weak to and it still just seems to take forever. I only fought one of the other mech thing and so I am blanking on what the stagger condition was. I think it was weak to electricity and I was pumping that into it, but I am also quick to use up the ATB bars on all three characters. Maybe they're supposed to just take a while to fight, but I feel like I could be doing better.

Don't bother fighting them yet.

Yoshichan

Do the trials to get a good weapon set.

Curious: taking one or two pictures of content from a guide book is against the TOS right?

Been having fun with it. About ten hours in after two nights, probably not as much progress as others given I'm listening to almost every bit of voiced dialog in the game, and deliberately playing without guidance. I actually look forward to what I can find and can't find before I reach an end-point. If I never find that infamous Green Carbuncle myself, so be it. I also picked up the CE guide on a lark, but only looking at the game system parts until New Game +.

Did a lot of stuff in Luxerion, mixed it up with moderate Dunes exploration, and then dealt with
Noel
. Early game garb that I like using has been a strength-enhanced Nocturne with the FFXIII bonus weapon and the debuff-focused Passion Rouge (iirc) enhanced for defense and magic stat. Third one I switch out on whim, currently Art of War.

Only just stepped into Yusnaan for a few minutes and haven't even seen the Wild area yet so much yet to see.

Well, just about to start Day 2. The timer is starting to worry me a little bit. It's the complete antithesis to how I play these games...feel like I have no time to walk around, explore, look at things...kind of frustrating.

But everyone is saying there is more than enough time, so I'll keep plugging away and hope for the best.

Well, just about to start Day 2. The timer is starting to worry me a little bit. It's the complete antithesis to how I play these games...feel like I have no time to walk around, explore, look at things...kind of frustrating.

But everyone is saying there is more than enough time, so I'll keep plugging away and hope for the best.

Doesn't seem too bad to me. Make sure to use Chronostasis when you have spare EP, take note of some enemies that give more EP than others (the Armadon-types you encounter in the Dunes return an easy 2EP after a battle), etc. Plus, making decent progress staggers the days left. I'm at 4 days down now but still 5 days to the end.

Others might be able to say more about it as I'm not that deep into the game yet.

MilkBeard

I've been playing for a while now, about 13 hours. I'm a bit nervous, because on the second day I was able to extend an extra day, but I swear, the very next day I completed the most quests so far in a one day span and at the end it didn't extend the day. I was kind of bummed, now I'm down to 3 and getting nervous. I did make tons of progress though.

Even with the reminder of time I'm still really enjoying the game. They seemed to make exploration and challenge in a way that was lacking in XIII and even XIII-2.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
How come my friend just got soldier-outfit but not valkirya's one? Savefiles of the same region are there afterall...

also I'll ask it here again:

this same friend bought the chinese-english version and once I launch the game it asks me to patch it. It's a small patch, barely a couple of minutes to download (maybe is for twitter/fb). Yet everytime it gets to 99%, it stops, then gives an error (80710723). What's going on? Maybe the game server are still offline?

thx

Top Bottom