• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

So, after playing for a second night, I hate the game less. A couple realizations really that really took the edge off and might be helpful for other players:

Those are pretty good, especially about Chronostasis and the quick map button. I still don't really understand Chronostasis as Hope was like YOU BETTER NOT EVER FUCKING USE IT

I think I might seriously just experiment with the game for now, try out a bunch of shit and see what happens. The mechanics seem to be very vague.

Sorry guys, but I have to sadly confess...

...this game kind of sucks!

I'll do my best to enjoy it but I'm really not liking it so far, regardless of my liking to the main character.

RPGCrazied

Sorry guys, but I have to sadly confess...

...this game kind of sucks!

I'll do my best to enjoy it but I'm really not liking it so far, regardless of my liking to the main character.

I'm playing it to kill time lol, but the music is good. The only thing killing it for me is the time element. I hate games that use it, in any context. Why I hate Majora's Mask.

I'm playing it to kill time lol, but the music is good. The only thing killing it for me is the time element. I hate games that use it, in any context. Why I hate Majora's Mask.
It's that too but also the story, writing, the gameplay, ugh.

Not fun at all right now.

The only thing keeping me interested is Lightning and the battle system is kind of fun.

But the story is insanely, ridiculously, absurdly terrible. Worst in FF history IMO.

For example after a day you return to the ark:
pray for your good deeds? What the freakazoid?!

It's rare to see someone else dislike Majora's Mask (at least on GAF). I know that feel, bro. And it's all due to the time limit, lol. A time limit does NOT fit with a RPG or adventure game imo. Totally ruins how I play them.

That said, I'm still gonna try to enjoy LR as best I can.

You don't have to apologize.
LoL! Sorry to ALL JRPG and FF fans all alike who had to put up with this XIII series for the past seven years! :p

Or just sorry to myself for being kind of excited for it but set up to be sorely disappointed. :(

It gets better right? :(

Well, at least I still have
Bravely Default! :)

RPGCrazied

It's rare to see someone else dislike Majora's Mask (at least on GAF). I know that feel, bro. And it's all due to the time limit, lol. A time limit does NOT fit with a RPG or adventure game imo. Totally ruins how I play them.

That said, I'm still gonna try to enjoy LR as best I can.

Yep. I like to sometimes just grind on enemies for hours in RPG's, or go exploring, or do other things. I don't want something telling me I have to hurry up or I'll get a game over. It's lame.

Yep. I like to sometimes just grind on enemies for hours in RPG's, or go exploring, or do other things. I don't want something telling me I have to hurry up or I'll get a game over. It's lame.
It is restrictive. I can understand the idea behind it but I don't think it works really well as a RPG, assuming it is still a RPG!

RussellXV

Clocked in over 6 hours. Decent game so far. Wish there was a quick way to access the entire map. Took a while to get used to the new battle system. I need to put more focus on Defense.

Yep, exactly how I feel. I played Wind Waker HD recently, and there's no telling how much time I "wasted" by just goofing off in that world. Picking up that huge black pig and throwing it at npcs, attacking it and having it chase me (my friend got a kick out of that), and just exploring the seas. I wouldn't be able to do that in a game like Majora's Mask. Sorry, I don't mean to go so off topic.

But basically, I'm worried I won't be able to fully explore and goof off in this game because I'll always feel on edge and rushed. *shrug* We'll see. I should have my copy fairly soon (it was delayed because of snow...).

Just me or has Amazon not sent some people their pre order codes out?

Still haven't gotten mine either.

I had to contact Amazon today about that. Apparently, there has been a mix-up with the codes and they sent me mine a few hours after I contacted them. If I were you, I'd send them an email explaining that you don't have your preorder codes yet. Amazon is pretty quick about responding.

MilkBeard

It is restrictive. I can understand the idea behind it but I don't think it works really well as a RPG, assuming it is still a RPG!

Honestly i think it works for this game. There is a downside to open RPGs that tend to bother me sometimes, and it's that the pacing tends to get really, really slow. I'm not a big fan of time limits but it helps keep the exploring direct and purposeful. That, and if you prioritize your quests then you can do multiple things at once.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LoL! Sorry to ALL JRPG and FF fans all alike who had to put up with this XIII series for the past seven years! :p

Or just sorry to myself for being kind of excited for it but set up to be sorely disappointed. :(

It gets better right? :(

Well, at least I still have
Bravely Default! :)

Nope.

But Majora's Mask still gives you enough chances to complete every quest. I never felt restrictive. I used a guide because I was really young when I played it so it was hard, but the game allowed you to replay as much as you want so you can figure out the secrets. Once you did it was satisfying.

LR seems like you can't go back and do the quests once you lose them. Unless you start the game over again. That's what it seems like so far. Unless I'm wrong?
Dang! Ah, I'll try to still enjoy it.

No but seriously, when everyone said the story was bad y'all weren't kidding! If the story was good I could like this more. But right now, I'm cringing as I play!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But Majora's Mask still gives you enough chances to complete every quest. I never felt restrictive. I used a guide because I was really young when I played it so it was hard, but the game allowed you to replay as much as you want so you can figure out the secrets. Once you did it was satisfying.

LR seems like you can't go back and do the quests once you lose them. Unless you start the game over again. That's what it seems like so far. Unless I'm wrong?

Dang! Ah, I'll try to still enjoy it.

No but seriously, when everyone said the story was bad y'all weren't kidding! If the story was good I could like this more. But right now, I'm cringing as I play!

That's right.

_woLf

February 10, 2014 , 5:04 pm

Departed Shipping Partner Facility

FISHERS, IN 46037

someday I'll get to play this video game

I'm finally starting this game. Just saw the opening credits (before the main menu). I'm excited.
I think I am the only one that likes Lightning as much as Toriyama.

Oriel

Ouch, CVG absolutely savaging LR, 5/10. But to late to change my mind as copy has been paid for and in the post, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow and be able to enjoy it over the weekend. At least I'm hoping I'll enjoy it.

He talks a ridiculous amount, and most of it is bullshit you already know.

I didn't mind it at first but it really grinds on you after a while. It's not like they didn't know. Lumina makes fun of the fact that Hope talks so much. So they're self aware this happens but do nothing to prevent it.

Gaz_RB

I didn't mind it at first but it really grinds on you after a while. It's not like they didn't know. Lumina makes fun of the fact that Hope talks so much. So they're self aware this happens but do nothing to prevent it.

Yup, same. He was fine at first, I actually enjoyed it, as one of my main complaints towards FF13 was that there wasn't enough talking in between cut scenes to flesh out the characters. In LR though, Hope seriously just starts to sound like a broken record, saying nothing to advance the story, and just explaining super obvious things that I already know. Every time I hear those few beeps that signal he's about to start talking I cringe lol

Yup, same. He was fine at first, I actually enjoyed it, as one of my main complaints towards FF13 was that there wasn't enough talking in between cut scenes to flesh out the characters. In LR though, Hope seriously just starts to sound like a broken record, saying nothing to advance the story, and just explaining super obvious things that I already know. Every time I hear those few beeps that signal he's about to start talking I cringe lol

The thing is it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the time limit. I would stop and listen to him but I have a time limit so I have to keep walking around and do stuff. So when I walk around Hope cuts himself off all the time because he's trying to tell you everything about anything.

Shinta

Banned
The thing is it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the time limit. I would stop and listen to him but I have a time limit so I have to keep walking around and do stuff. So when I walk around Hope cuts himself off all the time because he's trying to tell you everything about anything.

Surprised you got the game honestly.

The time limit aspect is definitely strange. I've never played a game quite like it. It's really growing on me though, and I think it's the only FF game I'll probably start new game + on immediately after finishing my first playthrough. So, I find it appealing on some level but it's not something I'd want for every game.

It would be perfect as is, if you eventually unlock full time manipulation in new game + or new game ++ as a cheat.

The time limit aspect is definitely strange. I've never played a game quite like it. It's really growing on me though, and I think it's the only FF game I'll probably start new game + on immediately after finishing my first playthrough. So, I find it appealing on some level but it's not something I'd want for every game.

It would be perfect as is, if you eventually unlock full time manipulation in new game + or new game ++ as a cheat.

That would be really awesome, and honestly, it was something I thought might be an unlockable after you beat the game or whatever (similar to those fragment skills from XIII-2). Big shame you can't do that. :(

Gaz_RB

I wish this had more of a Majora's Mask approach to the time limit. It just seems a bit arbitrary in LR. The way MM did it was perfect, IMO...when the time restarted you didn't have to redo everything. I don't mind the time limit now though.

Shinta

Banned
That would be really awesome, and honestly, it was something I thought might be an unlockable after you beat the game or whatever (similar to those fragment skills from XIII-2). Big shame you can't do that. :(

I was expecting something similar since XIII-2 basically did exactly that, as you said.

Please someone tell me it explains why
Noel is such an asshole because he seems really out of character, I know the entire game is in her head but still :p

edit: concerning the convo right above me, that's a bummer, this game would be so much better if I weren't in a fucking hurry at all times but maybe it's intentional so that you don't stop to look at the textures.

MilkBeard

For some reason, Yusnaan reminds me of Rabanastre a little bit, in a sort of alternate-dimension/futuristic sort of way. I wonder if they reused any of those old designs because the new towns and maps feel somewhat similar. I haven't played XII in a long time though, but it would be easy for them to look to XII for open world design. Especially considering Lightning Returns often looks like a higher-res PS2 game at times.

Either way, I like the cities in this game, I just wish that XIII included some of this openness originally. Lightning Returns is open but it still has a quick pace to the game design.

Maybe they'll get it right for XV.

george_us

Those most annoying thing about the game is that all of the side quests so far seem designed to waste as much time as possible. With the majority of them being fetch quests, barely any of them give you any clue as where you can find the items you're looking for, forcing you to scour your location until you just so happen to stumble upon them. I'm still on the second day but I'm already getting insanely irritated at these trial-and-error fetch quests. Absolutely awful design. With that said though the battle system is actually pretty fun and is probably the one thing that'll keep me playing other than a twisted desire to see how this horrendous story ends. Sad really since I really dig the premise. At least the soundtrack is gorgeous though. Probably the best of the XIII games.

MilkBeard

Yeah, it's definitely unique, and kind of strange for an open world RPG. A lot of people are worried about not having enough time, but really the upside to the clock is that it really helps make the game feel quick-paced. It is open world without the tediousness that those games often come with. Some of the side quests can definitely be tedious though, if they send you on multiple runs, but the time limit gives the game a completely different perspective from most RPGs. Some will like it, some won't. I happen to think it feels like a breath of fresh air. I am worried about running out of time, though, as I said a few pages back. We'll see what happens.

MilkBeard

Those most annoying thing about the game is that all of the side quests so far seem designed to waste as much time as possible. With the majority of them being fetch quests, barely any of them give you any clue as where you can find the items you're looking for, forcing you to scour your location until you just so happen to stumble upon them. I'm still on the second day but I'm already getting insanely irritated at these trial-and-error fetch quests. Absolutely awful design. With that said though the battle system is actually pretty fun and is probably the one thing that'll keep me playing other than a twisted desire to see how this horrendous story ends. Sad really since I really dig the premise. At least the soundtrack is gorgeous though. Probably the best of the XIII games.

The way the game wants you to play is to open as many quests as possible, and just scavenge the areas as you continue the main quests. A lot of people recommend doing this, and I do as well. Don't focus too much on one particular sidequest. You will find that several of them can be completed at once while you are going through the story. There is a natural flow to it.

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, it's definitely unique, and kind of strange for an open world RPG. A lot of people are worried about not having enough time, but really the upside to the clock is that it really helps make the game feel quick-paced.
I have to agree. It's a unique open world game that has you dashing and jumping over railings just to save seconds, while planning out routes based on available transportation or EP points.

On some level it really does work in an interesting way. There are times I wish I could take my time, but I guess I've done that in literally every other RPG so trying something new is interesting for me.

I did play it for about 5 hours when it released in Japan. My friend got his copy a few days early and beat it and was going to GameStop to trade it in. I told him I would buy it off him for $25 (because honestly GS wouldn't give him that much).

So in that situation why wouldn't I buy it? Always said I would wait until I found a good deal on it and that was as good a deal as any.

Gaz_RB

I have to agree. It's a unique open world game that has you dashing and jumping over railings just to save seconds, while planning out routes based on available transportation or EP points.

On some level it really does work in an interesting way. There are times I wish I could take my time, but I guess I've done that in literally every other RPG so trying something new is interesting for me.

Pretty much how I feel. It's a nice change of pace.

I'm not saying you shouldn't. I paid $80 for mine, and I'm liking it so far. $25 is a good deal for sure.

I'm still a FF fan. So if someone offers me a deal on a FF game I don't have in my library I am gonna take it. No matter how I feel about the game. Lol.

Edit: Like how recently I walked into my GameStop (I am refered to as the Square guy) and I was asked if I wanted to buy Dirge of Cerberus. I said not really and started to walk away. They then told me if I wanted it for free because they are trying to get rid of all their PS2 games.

I now own a copy of Dirge of Cerberus.

Shinta

Banned
Edit: Like how recently I walked into my GameStop (I am refered to as the Square guy) and I was asked if I wanted to buy Dirge of Cerberus. I said not really and started to walk away. They then told me if I wanted it for free because they are trying to get rid of all their PS2 games.

I now own a copy of Dirge of Cerberus.

That's definitely weird lol.

Top Bottom