• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Shinta

Banned
Before I order it, does the guide actually help much with getting the quests and all side quests done?

It has multiple flowcharts showing what time quests open and on what days to do them. Then shows different playthrough advice for new game + and eventually getting
ultima
which looks like it requires 2-3 playthroughs.

I think it's pretty well made. I'm reading through it now.

It seems extremely overwhelming, but they say repeatedly that you can do all main quests and most if not all side quests on one playthrough, even if you're not always efficient.
Okay. I need some help. I've played for about 4 hours, seem to have wasted a day. I have 5 days left. I did a few quests, but not many. Most of my schema only has one move, like Cloud, only has Heavy Strike. I put the only spells I have on Yuna's garb. Can you buy more skills/spells or what? I knew I should've started on easy, but I went with normal. Decided to try Wildlands, and the first thing I try and fight kicks my ass. Its a Meonkoten, the flying bug. Should I not do Wildlands first?

Help?

They recommend hitting wildlands for the first time on day 2 from the looks of it, which is still pretty early.

You get abilities dropped as a crystal when defeating enemies and different abilities have different drop rates. I'm trying to see where they recommend getting some first.

RPGCrazied

They recommend hitting wildlands for the first time on day 2 from the looks of it, which is still pretty early.

You get abilities dropped as a crystal when defeating enemies and different abilities have different drop rates. I'm trying to see where they recommend getting some first.

Only thing I can beat no problem are the ones that roam Luxericon. Should I try and finish that main quest there? Something about 4 numbers, but Hope suggested I leave an go somewhere else, lol.

Shinta

Banned
3 types of quests to do.

1) Main Quests: there's 4 main quest storylines. Each line fully completed grants an entire extra day.
2) Side Quests: grants extra time and stat upgrades. your goal is to try and do as many grouped together on the way to your next main quest line as you efficiently can. completing all of them I believe grants you
an additional final day and access to the final dungeon.
3) Canvas Quests: no time rewards but you get nice gil and item rewards supposedly. and moderate stat increases as well. these usually involve a monster hunt.

new game +: all quests are reset and you start again on day 1. you retain all abilities, equipment and items (minus key items and a few others). any headgear you have is automatically upgraded one slot. you gain access to the equipment forge. level cap gets raised.

Hard mode: increased drop rate of rare abilities and components.

Noel is the only redeming factor of the entire XIII Trilogy. I like his story and character.

Every other character can go walk off a cliff for all I care... not that they would die from it since they can always survive death drops even in the first game. :/

Noel is the only redeming factor of the entire XIII Trilogy. I like his story and character.

Every other character can go walk off a cliff for all I care... not that they would die from it since they can always survive death drops even in the first game. :/

Just finished the Yusnan mission.
IMO, They did a pretty good job with Snow in this one.

Dark_castle

And Sazh. Fang would be okay too. Caius has potential to say the least. But everyone else sucks.

HeelPower

Okay. I need some help. I've played for about 4 hours, seem to have wasted a day. I have 5 days left. I did a few quests, but not many. Most of my schema only has one move, like Cloud, only has Heavy Strike. I put the only spells I have on Yuna's garb. Can you buy more skills/spells or what? I knew I should've started on easy, but I went with normal. Decided to try Wildlands, and the first thing I try and fight kicks my ass. Its a Meonkoten, the flying bug. Should I not do Wildlands first?

Help?

use outfits that have abilities preset on them.Pretty sure equilibrium and the default outfits have at least attack and guard set to them.This can help you fight enemies till they drop more abilities you can set later on.Meonkoten is a tough enemy.Try fighting niblets and small enemies first and you may even fight the dogs they are not that hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That 'stealth' segment was...something.

So far I can see what they were going for but it seems very uneven and full of some weird design. First off, you get absolutely bombarded by voice overs from Hope right from the start. Yet it's being interrupted via frequent fights, or when you get into town can just get cutoff by another thing he's saying. The only remedy for this is to stand still to listen to what's being said, which is at odds with the time system. Then there's just general NPC behavior, which has awkward pathfinding and actually can butt in during conversations. Seeing a cutscene where it's slightly zoomed in to someone talking to you as some random person walks right into him and spazzes out for a few seconds probably shouldn't happen! It, coupled with the very poor texture quality(which you get some shockingly close looks at while talking), do a number on detracting from the world.

Then there's the sidequests, which as the last page went over a lot, doesn't show where to go on the map. Okay in theory, but again, there's a time limit and burning it looking for something isn't very fun especially when it's necessary for time extensions and leveling in general. But I see where they were going, since you initially go into an area, bring up the map and see nothing. It's not until you explore and find stores, merchants, time doors, etc. where it starts getting filled out. Why they didn't add notifications for side stuff with that I'm not sure.

Combat has been interesting enough. Luckily I have found some pretty good looking costumes as I really wasn't liking what I was seeing pre-release, and I personally can't stand her default in this game. The one you get from XIII-2 is pretty ridiculous for the start, though. I'm a little confused on filling out the moves but it seems to randomly drop from enemies and be in random chests littering the world.

Still not all that far(second day) but that's my initial rambling.

RPGCrazied

use outfits that have abilities preset on them.Pretty sure equilibrium and the default outfits have at least attack and guard set to them.This can help you fight enemies till they drop more abilities you can set later on.Meonkoten is a tough enemy.Try fighting niblets and small enemies first and you may even fight the dogs they are not that hard.

Yeah, thanks. I guess I should have stayed in the first area of the game, and finish the story there then.

HeelPower

I gave that girl the red Carbuncle doll to see what would happen... Gotta admit, it made me feel like crap.

Good thing I saved a couple of minutes before!

The NPCs here are well done and so much better than XIII-2.They have nice backstories ,connect to other NPCs in the world and even comments on recent events.

I also love how lightning shares her own feelings on some quests as she completes them.Carbuncle doll is one example.

Yeah, thanks. I guess I should have stayed in the first area of the game, and finish the story there then.

did you complete the demo ? The demo gives you a useful outfit with magic abilities like aero and blizzard and if you have the pink samurai outfit it has blitz and guard set to it.The pink samurai is a preorder outfit.XIII and XIII-2 saves give you powerful weapons but the outfits don't have abilities on them.

Shinta

Banned
Only thing I can beat no problem are the ones that roam Luxericon. Should I try and finish that main quest there? Something about 4 numbers, but Hope suggested I leave an go somewhere else, lol.

Day 1 (as they list it, this is the extremely condensed version)

21:00 - 23:45

Complete Chapter 1-1.

23:45 - 00:00

Equip Lightning: Buy Nocturne garb from outfitters. Open chest with physical attack +15% fighter's emblem.

00:00 - 01:00

Complete Chapter 1-2

01:00 - 02:30

Explore Luxerion's Old Town

Complete "The Thing's She's Lost" and get Runic Ring. Sparkstrike 2 and Thundara 2 from T. chests. Sorcery Shop owner gives you free Attack lvl 1 upgraded ability if you talk to him.

02:30 - 04:45

Head to Luxerion's South Station

Twist Headband, Magician's Token head accessories in chests. and some quest items to pick up for later.

05:30 - 06:00

Acquire the Passion Rogue Garb in the Dead Dunes for 1,250 gil (one of the best bargains in the game supposedly), merchant is short walk north of station.

Far north of giant's sandbox is T. chests with galestrike lvl 2.

Avoid monsters. Too weak to fight here.

Then it's on to Day 2.

06:00 - 08:00

Schemata Preparation in the Wildlands

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So what carries over and doesn't carry over at New Game+?

RPGCrazied

The NPCs here are well done and so much better than XIII-2.They have nice backstories ,connect to other NPCs in the world and even comments on recent events.

I also love how lightning shares her own feelings on some quests as she completes them.Carbuncle doll is one example.

did you complete the demo ? The demo gives you a useful outfit with magic abilities like aero and blizzard and if you have the pink samurai outfit it has blitz and guard set to it.The pink samurai is a preorder outfit.XIII and XIII-2 saves give you powerful weapons but the outfits don't have abilities on them.

Forgot about those. I'm using Cloud, Yuna at the moment, and it stinks. Probably cause I don't have many attack or spells yet.

Day 1 (as they list it, this is the extremely condensed version)

21:00 - 23:45

Complete Chapter 1-1.

23:45 - 00:00

Equip Lightning: Buy Nocturne garb from outfitters. Open chest with physical attack +15% fighter's emblem.

00:00 - 01:00

Complete Chapter 1-2

01:00 - 02:30

Explore Luxerion's Old Town

Complete "The Thing's She's Lost" and get Runic Ring. Sparkstrike 2 and Thundara 2 from T. chests. Sorcery Shop owner gives you free Attack lvl 1 upgraded ability if you talk to him.

02:30 - 04:45

Head to Luxerion's South Station

05:30 - 06:00

Twist Headband, Magician's Token head accessories in chests.

Acquire the Passion Rogue Garb in the Dead Dunes for 1,250 gil (one of the best bargains in the game supposedly), merchant is short walk north of station.

Far north of giant's sandbox is T. chests with galestrike lvl 2.

Avoid monsters. Too weak to fight here.

Then it's on to Day 2.

06:00 - 08:00

Schemata Preparation in the Wildlands

Yeah, looks like I missed some stuff there and didn't get sparkstrike either. Thanks!

Kinda feels counterproductive that I want to explore the game but feel like I have a time limit with what I can do :/.

As long as you get a few things done while you're out and about, it's really not that difficult to extend your time. Just incidentally completing Canvas quests, my last two days ended in extensions.

Also, don't be afraid to use Chronostasis

RPGCrazied

And is it just me, or is the framerate iffy sometimes? Specially in cities when rotating the camera. I'm playing in 1080p though. No idea if its better in 720p.

Shinta

Banned
No one ever PM'd me, so if anyone wants a 360 code for the Art of War outfit here it is. Post if you use it I guess.

WHJFK-CFDMQ-GJWF7-3PF2K-34F7Z

All quests are reset and you start on day 1.

You retain equipment, abilities and stat upgrades and most items.

You gain access to higher level cap and equipment forging.

I assume that the higher level cap and equipment forging are only unlocked if you get New Game Plus by actually beating the final boss instead of "failing," yes?

And can you unlock the same stat upgrade twice by completing the same quest twice in different playthroughs?

Jeels

Someone should make a custom box art like the FFXIII and FFXIII-2 ones where it's just the Lightning render and the grey/gradient background and have it say FFXIII-3. I'm sure that'd get a lot of prints. It'd make it feel more like a set. The whole LR thing is ridiculous.

Shinta

Banned
I assume that the higher level cap and equipment forging are only unlocked if you get New Game Plus by actually beating the final boss instead of "failing," yes?

And can you unlock the same stat upgrade twice by completing the same quest twice in different playthroughs?

Completing the story for the first time unlocks New Game + game mode and the Hard difficulty level.
New Game + is also available when you hit the Game Over screen and via the [...]; a feature that appears next to the [...] if you fail to defeat the [final boss] on your first playthrough, and on the Ark on all subsequent playthroughs.

Lightning's abilities and inventory remain intact enabling further stat and equipment enhancement.
Any head accessory obtained (treasure sphere or defeated Last Ones) is automatically upgraded with amplified effects.
Forges opened
Hope's first gift to Lightning on Day 1 of new game + is the Proof of Overcoming Limits - a special feature unlock. By default Lightning can reach a maximum of 50,000 HP, 5,000 STR and 5,000 MGC. If you activate the new option in the settings menu Lightning can achieve 99,999 HP, 9,999 STR and 9,999 MGC. However, the damage cap remains at 999,999 and it disables your ability to submit battle scores to the Outerworld.

Doesn't say anything about repeat stat boosts from the same quest. I'm assuming you probably can until you hit the cap, but I don't know.

Hard Mode:

* monsters drop abilities of higher levels and all types of components. monster strength is increased.

If the stagger notes say something like "weak to physical/magic" then alternate buttons

Otherwise just hold it down

Actually, you can achieve a perfect timing attack through physical or magic. You time it right at the end of the previous one and Lightning lights up gold.

It mentions it in the Battle systems database. So, you are always encouraged to not hold it down if you want to maximize your damage.

Is it better if I hold down the attack or keep pressing the button during combat.

You get a damage bonus if you time your actions so that you press the next button right after the animation is finished (or something like that). Lightning will have a little gold aura around her if you successfully do it. Holding down the button doesn't give you this bonus. The same bonus can be done with blocking as well (waiting until last second to block usually negates all damage).

XJF

Not sure how I feel about the time thing. Sure, it's more realistic, people aren't going to be standing in the same place all day, but it kinda takes away from the flow having to wait until a certain time of day to do a specific quest or whatever. And what's with the Platinum trophy taking
a 2 playthrough minimum
? That's lame

Completing the story for the first time unlocks New Game + game mode and the Hard difficulty level.
New Game + is also available when you hit the Game Over screen and via the [...]; a feature that appears next to the [...] if you fail to defeat the [final boss] on your first playthrough, and on the Ark on all subsequent playthroughs.

Lightning's abilities and inventory remain intact enabling further stat and equipment enhancement.
Any head accessory obtained (treasure sphere or defeated Last Ones) is automatically upgraded with amplified effects.
Forges opened
Hope's first gift to Lightning on Day 1 of new game + is the Proof of Overcoming Limits - a special feature unlock. By default Lightning can reach a maximum of 50,000 HP, 5,000 STR and 5,000 MGC. If you activate the new option in the settings menu Lightning can achieve 99,999 HP, 9,999 STR and 9,999 MGC. However, the damage cap remains at 999,999 and it disables your ability to submit battle scores to the Outerworld.

Doesn't say anything about repeat stat boosts from the same quest. I'm assuming you probably can until you hit the cap, but I don't know.

Hard Mode:

* monsters drop abilities of higher levels and all types of components. monster strength is increased.

Actually, you can achieve a perfect timing attack through physical or magic. You time it right at the end of the previous one and Lightning lights up gold.

It mentions it in the Battle systems database. So, you are always encouraged to not hold it down if you want to maximize your damage.

So you're rewarded regardless if you succeed or fail. Looks like Toriyama took this last generations lesson to heart. *Holds up flame shield* (It's a joke)

Ricker

Okay, things are going a little better now,at least I can kill the Gertrudes pretty fast now but I am stuck in the same corridors in a section of Luxerion,found one of the codes to track the guys in white but that's it,there is one gate but it was closed at the time I got there...my days counter went back from 3 days to 5 though so I am guessing I finished a collection quest or 2 and that is what raised the days back...? whish I could find a way out of that section,I have some skills that I could upgrade and all,cant take the train to change area or anything,so I just saved and stopped for tonight,maybe I am not seing a ladder or something,I'm just going around in a huge circle...

rataven

Wow, Day 1 flew by, and I pretty much accomplished nothing.

*heavy breathing* panic setting in

The one thing I did manage to do was fight a green dragon thing, which I clearly wasn't supposed to be doing at this stage of the game, but thanks to switching in the Cloud costume, I Heavy Slashed him into oblivion. No joke, once staggered, Cloud hit for upwards of +20K. The power of SOLDIER 1st Class.

Avallon

So I was really looking forward to this game, but I now find it trying my patience. The battle system is great, but the fact that you gain no levels/stats from fighting makes it feel like a chore. The fact that the game constantly spawns enemies that you have no chance of defeating makes it a crap shoot every time you find a new enemy.

I feel lost all the time. There's no structure to this game whatsoever. I think I need to play with a guide. I feel like I'm missing stuff all the time.

Forges opened

The head accessory upgrade isn't automatic. You have to pick up a copy where you found the original.
Just to be clear, hard mode, forges, and stat cap removal are only unlocked if you beat the final boss.
You can repeat quests in NG+, but the stat increase is less if it's the second time completing it.

Shinta

Banned
Wow, Day 1 flew by, and I pretty much accomplished nothing.

*heavy breathing* panic setting in

The one thing I did manage to do was fight a green dragon thing, which I clearly wasn't supposed to be doing at this stage of the game, but thanks to switching in the Cloud costume, I Heavy Smashed him into oblivion. No joke, once staggered, Cloud hit for upwards of +20K. The power of SOLDIER 1st Class.

Yep, when enemies are staggered Heavy Slash actually turns to a new ability, Slayer.

Nice, good to know.

Does the game sort of funnel you into having a certain set of schema, or can you be successful with any configuration you want as long as you can play it well? I sort of like the idea of playing a tanky character, where my schema would be something like:

Defensive/buff-debuff set
Defensive/MagicDmg set
Defensive/MeleeDmg set

However, I'm afraid the the enemy and boss design might not facilitate any set-up that doesn't include straight-up Magic or Melee DPS zerg schema.

Salamando

Plat'd the first two games, planning on Plat'ing this one. Anything I should know before I start regarding missables?

From what I can gather, two playthroughs are needed. First one, main thing to focus on
is acquiring enough gear to upgrade
in the second. Anything else I'm missing?

Shinta

Banned
Does the game sort of funnel you into having a certain set of schema, or can you be successful with any configuration you want as long as you can play it well? I sort of like the idea of playing a tanky character, where my schema would be something like:

Defensive/buff-debuff set
Defensive/MagicDmg set
Defensive/MeleeDmg set

However, I'm afraid the the enemy and boss design might not facilitate any set-up that doesn't include straight-up Magic or Melee DPS zerg schema.

I'd just experiment and have fun with it. Save before battles. If it doesn't work, you'll find out soon.

I think you'll be adjusting schemas a lot from what I've heard and various regions have enemies with different weaknesses.

rataven

Can you return to The Ark at any time, or only at 6am? I feel like I should be able to get back up there, but can't figure out how.

Yep, when enemies are staggered Heavy Slash actually turns to a new ability, Slayer.

Yeah, I hadn't even noticed the ability change during the actual battle, but after poking around in the menus a bit, these extra layers to the battle system are starting to show. It's actually a lot to take in this early on, but I can see how later in the game, these elements could make a huge strategic difference.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm feeling better about the time thing now after playing for a few more hours. I am adding days every time I go back to the Ark and have plenty of time to run around figuring out side quests and exploring in between main quests. Learning my way around has helped a lot as well.

I have to admit that I am enjoying this more and more as I play. Great music, great atmosphere and deep and addictive customization that is brilliantly intertwined with killer gameplay. Sure, it has it's flaws. But there is just something special underneath the warts here because of the things it does do right. I think it's a gem.

A few new shots:

1912448_652199871510450_1744115236_n.jpg

1779354_652203328176771_1179154607_n.jpg

1795668_652178768179227_969185308_n.jpg

1508058_652213304842440_1492082684_n.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
I gave that girl the red Carbuncle doll to see what would happen... Gotta admit, it made me feel like crap.

Good thing I saved a couple of minutes before!

I have been clearing up a bunch of side quests, but still can't find the emerald doll. I got the red one, but knew not to give it to her thanks to this thread. This little 1 star quest still has me stumped, lol.

robot

Started over since I goofed on the carbuncle quest and am waiting for the guide to arrive.

The panic from that damn timer wore off this time around, also been getting into the habit of saving often and using multiple files. First time I played I didn't save for the first 2 hours, lol.

They really throw a ton at you in that first area. Kinda confusing like most people have mentioned. Really enjoying it though.

I have been clearing up a bunch of side quests, but still can't find the emerald doll. I got the red one, but knew not to give it to her thanks to this thread. This little 1 star quest still has me stumped, lol.

check by the singing guy near those shops

HeelPower

I'm feeling better about the time thing now after playing for a few more hours. I am adding days every time I go back to the Ark and have plenty of time to run around figuring out side quests and exploring in between main quests. Learning my way around has helped a lot as well.

I have to admit that I am enjoying this more and more as I play. Great music, great atmosphere and deep and addictive customization that is brilliantly intertwined with killer gameplay. Sure, it has it's flaws. But there is just something special underneath the warts here because of the things it does do right. I think it's a gem.

Great screen shots(though second one is spoilerish) and I agree.I am adapting more to the game and trying to be more careful when I play and it turns out very rewarding.

I am keeping an eye for items, NPCs and using the manual marker on the map and I accomplished a lot more in my session today than yesterday when I was ranting earlier.

ironcreed

Banned
Great screen shots(though second one is spoilerish) and I agree.I am adapting more to the game and trying to be more careful when I play and it turns out very rewarding.

I am keeping an eye for items, NPCs and using the manual marker on the map and I accomplished a lot more in my session today than yesterday when I was ranting earlier.

Yeah, like robot just said, there is a lot thrown at you at first. The fact there is a timer on you kind of makes you panic for the first few hours. But then you realize that you have nice chunks of time to run around and discover everything, which is great. Hope even manages to shut up for long stretches, lol.

Oh, and sorry about that second screen. You are right. I'll remove it.

Forges opened

Hard Mode:

The head accessory upgrade isn't automatic. You have to pick up a copy where you found the original.
Just to be clear, hard mode, forges, and stat cap removal are only unlocked if you beat the final boss.
You can repeat quests in NG+, but the stat increase is less if it's the second time completing it.

Thanks, y'all. This sounds like it'll be a much better game for my completionist-OCD than the previous two even if I don't like the combat as much based on the demo.

HeelPower

Yeah, like robot just said, there is a lot thrown at you at first. The fact there is a timer on you kind of makes you panic for the first few hours. But then you realize that you have nice chunks of time to run around and discover everything, which is great. Hope even manages to shut up for long stretches, lol.

Oh, and sorry about that second screen. You are right. I'll remove it.

yup yup.

did you know where to get the mandragora root for the girl whose father is sick ?

Shinta

Banned

A few new shots:

1912448_652199871510450_1744115236_n.jpg

1779354_652203328176771_1179154607_n.jpg

1795668_652178768179227_969185308_n.jpg

1508058_652213304842440_1492082684_n.jpg

Very awesome shots. How are you getting them online? I didn't link it to anything yet.

I'm actually really liking Outerworld a lot. You can check out posts from people and rate them up, and take screenshots.

I think something like that will be huge in XV.

Top Bottom