• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What exactly is Art of War DLC? I've got a code for 360 if anyone wants it, but I'd like to know what it is first :lol

So far I am enjoying the sidequests. I like how they seem to be fully voiced and not just some wall of text. I also dig how they don't just have a marker that points you in the exact direction you need to go. I am sure many would disagree because of the timelimit, but I think it's nice to have sidequests that force you to do more than "follow marker".

Only about four hours into the game and am enjoying the hell out of the story. I came in expecting to hate it, but I am finding the setting and situation to be really fascinating. As someone who enjoys the XIII mythos it is really hitting all the right spots for me. Even the voice acting isn't bothering me, which some people said was awful in this game.

Nohar

What exactly is Art of War DLC? I've got a code for 360 if anyone wants it, but I'd like to know what it is first :lol

If I'm correct, it's 3 different samuraï garbs. It seems to come with their own katana and shield:

lightning_returns_final_fantasy_13_art_of_war_1.jpg

RPGCrazied

Ugh. I need help fighting
Noel
. I have enough EP for one Curaga, I can stagger him a couple times, but he just kills me when he does his jump air attack. I've tried deshelling and deprotecting him.

ironcreed

Banned
Ugh. I need help fighting
Noel
. I have enough EP for one Curaga, I can stagger him a couple times, but he just kills me when he does his jump air attack. I've tried deshelling and deprotecting him.

Thundara, Sparkstrike and Thunder as primary attacks and make sure to block. Worked for me.

RPGCrazied

Well, he is weak even against those. But Thundara did the most damage for sure. Especially when staggered and in Overclock.

This sucks. I have 2 EP at this battle. I can get him to half way, but then I just am spent and can't take it. Should have did easy mode. lol

This sucks. I have 2 EP at this battle. I can get him to half way, but then I just am spent and can't take it. Should have did easy mode. lol

I found him really easy. Just spam Lightning and try to perfect block everything. When he staggers overclock then use Clouds sword and spam Slayer\heavy slash. He'll die in like 2 staggers, maybe 3.

-Get the Velvet Bouncer garb and at least one Bravery Potion from Yusaan.
-Get the garb in Dead Dunes that has Deprotect and Deshell. Should be right outside the station.
-Get Thundara from a chest outside the warrens (can't remember exactly where it is, but it isn't too hidden).

-Stagger Noel with Thundara/Thunder/Sparsktrike. Use your Bravery Potion and spam Blitz with the Velvet Bouncer garb with Overclock. He should be dead in ~30 seconds.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Decided to start the demo... 11 seconds on the boss. Jesus Christ, I need the game :_:

18 more hours!

If I end up not liking the story, I like the overall game so much that I'll just chalk it all up to being in Lightning's head while crystallized for 500 years as some kind of genius psychological Silent Hill shit. Come at me.

Yoshichan

Then 18 more hrs on the DEMO for you! Go yoshi!
No! If I do that, you will call me a freak and hate me more than you already do :'(

Szadek

Decided to start the demo... 11 seconds on the boss. Jesus Christ, I need the game :_:

18 more hours!
The best time I got is 46(in the normal fight).
I was trying t get a better time,but I gave up after the boss spawned right in face for the thrid time and I couldn't get a preemptive strike.

I might buy the game on monday for the combat.I'm not looking forward to the story at all.

ironcreed

Banned
If I end up not liking the story, I like the overall game so much that I'll just chalk it all up to being in Lightning's head while crystallized for 500 years as some kind of genius psychological Silent Hill shit. Come at me.

Well, the load screen looks like an acid trip. So there is also that possibility.

RPGCrazied

I found him really easy. Just spam Lightning and try to perfect block everything. When he staggers overclock then use Clouds sword and spam Slayer\heavy slash. He'll die in like 2 staggers, maybe 3.

Thundara is in an item container near
the old town entrance to the Warren

I got lucky this time, but I ran to the item shop and stocked up on potions, was able to do it with that.

Stupid question about ATB. I know you switch schemas to get more ATB, but I've noticed a few times, it doesn't matter when I switch, all of them seem to have like no atb left and I can't do anything. Am I missing something?

Gaz_RB

I got lucky this time, but I ran to the item shop and stocked up on potions, was able to do it with that.

Stupid question about ATB. I know you switch schemas to get more ATB, but I've noticed a few times, it doesn't matter when I switch, all of them seem to have like no atb left and I can't do anything. Am I missing something?

Well I'd check on what each schema has in terms of ATB/ATB recharge rates. Some have lower ATB or slower recharge rates. But sometimes if you're just hammering through the schemas, you'll find that you may need to wait a bit. That's why ATB stats are so important.

Well, the load screen looks like an acid trip. So there is also that possibility.

Yesss

Actually I dunno. The game is very dream-like and Lumina is a crack whore. Maybe I'm on to something (I know I'm not, lay off). I will not defend the writing per se, but if the entire game is as good as it has been, I will most definitely blame the idiocy on "abstract" storytelling. If it justifies my enjoyment of the game, so be it, but the writing is still shit.

RPGCrazied

Well I'd check on what each schema has in terms of ATB/ATB recharge rates. Some have lower ATB or slower recharge rates. But sometimes if you're just hammering through the schemas, you'll find that you may need to wait a bit. That's why ATB stats are so important.

Oh ok, thanks. I should get another day for completing the Luxerion main quest line? I guess it won't happen until I get back to the Ark. I'm still on 5 days about to be 4.

Gaz_RB

For future reference for everyone who hasn't gotten too far in yet, it seems pretty prudent to not just do one area complete at a time. If you skirt through each area before getting too deep into one, you'll be fairly better off because you'll get all these costumes and abilities that make things easier because you have more options to switch around to beat certain enemies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm reading there is a way to force a new game+ to bail early and start over? An hourglass object in the ark, after the second day?

Playing here, we haven't seen anything like that yet.

Bladenic

"holy see of salvation" um unless see means something looks like it should have been sea

Where/how do I offer my EP for the time extension?

Shinta

Banned
"holy see of salvation" um unless see means something looks like it should have been sea

Where/how do I offer my EP for the time extension?

I've spotted 3 typos, including that one. Oh well.

EP Chronostasis use can either be used continuously when you are near enemies that you can farm for more EP, or you can use it if you need to get to a specific objective at a specific time and are in a hurry. Also, use all your EP before the end of the day because it fills up at the ark. That's about it.

So I'm in Chapter 3-3, and doing the
Temple
Dungeon. The enemies seem a bit tough, is there any particularly good schemata loadout for this area?

Toth

EP Chronostasis use can either be used continuously when you are near enemies that you can farm for more EP, or you can use it if you need to get to a specific objective at a specific time and are in a hurry. Also, use all your EP before the end of the day because it fills up at the ark. That's about it.

They use the term Holy See in 14 as well so it's probably correct.

Bladenic

Yeah but how do I do it? Don't see any option anywhere, including Pause menu or EP abilities.

Holy shit, are those Yuna outfit prices for real on Ebay? I would normally not sell something like that because I want to use it, but.. jeez. I might just have to, lol.

Giolon

So, after playing for a second night, I hate the game less. A couple realizations really that really took the edge off and might be helpful for other players:

• Some enemies are clearly designed to be avoided for a while. Once I stopped trying to fight those, and getting obliterated, I felt less stressed.
  • EP refills at the beginning of each day (at least to 5 points, I don't know if it fills higher as the limit increases), so spend all of it before 6AM
  • Abuse the hell out of Chronostasis. Some areas are so dense with enemies that you can beat relatively easily, that you can run Chronostasis constantly w/o any net EP loss.
  • Unless you REALLY must beat a fight, sometimes it's often more valuable to take the 1 hour loss for Escaping vs using 2 EP to cast Curaga in the fight. Why? b/c by escaping, you get your items back, you health is reset, and you lose 1 hour BUT you can cast Chronostasis to essentially get that time "back". Doing this too often is obviously bad, but it means you don't necessarily need to reset if you died in combat just b/c of the time loss.
  • Blocking is the #1 most important thing in combat. Prioritize it over all else. If it means you miss out on attack windows, so be it.
  • Staggering is the #2 most important thing in combat. Once you're sure you can block all the requisite enemy attacks, figuring out their stagger conditions and getting them there is crucial.
  • Press Square for a shortcut to the map. Why did they change this from the Select button?
Some of these tips may not hold for the rest of the game, but as I said, they're what helped me out on my 2nd night playing the game. I'm at the beginning of Day 3 FWIW.

Okay, got passed the demo part! Thread title is wrong! It should be:

"Toriyama's Insane Adventure!" LoL!

Sorry guys, but the story is just plain bizarre and kind of silly. And that's saying it lightly!

But...Lightning is still kind of cool
and hot
! So I'll keep playing...while cringing at the dialogue and narrative!

Also whenever a JRPG, or any RPG/fantasy game, relies so much on
religion
I think it's complete sh*t!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Played this for what seemed like forever last night; thought I would play maybe one or two hours, but there is just to much to do as I went for around 8 hours that session! I kept freezing time and just wandering around aimlessly. I love how efficiency can go an extremely long way, especially with the teleport power.

Well I've put 8 hours in and I'm actually starting to like the game. The questing is done very poorly though..The 2nd main town is much, much better than the first. It also isn't as freaking ugly texture wise.

Top Bottom