• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Was thinking about this messy game earlier today...since I was going nowhere I deleted all schemata and redid them but I lost The Savior one...? or was that just the name it gave to the first one you got...?

i thought the savior was the default garb you start with.

Falk

that puzzling face

Yes, it's Hamauzu. Here's a longer version with solo violin on the melody instead of a section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZKkectsiw

edit:
I always listen for chord progressions first when determining if it's Hamauzu or not :)

But yes, he loves the violin and typically works with Kuwano a lot because they're bros.

His style is probably my favorite in all music, and his non-gaming endeavors are all really worth checking out if you are a fan of more traditional music in the vein of his compositional voice. IMERAUT is really great too, albeit a more non-traditional approach to a fusion of styles mixed with some Ainu influences thanks to Mina. I studied and presented a lot of his non-gaming music while in grad. school, and it always went over really well at conservatory.

Even performed some piano pieces for juries, heh.

IMERUAT, not IMERAUT D:

You know, I'd have agreed with you on the chord progressions thing based on FFX/FFXIII alone, but I'm going to admit that I originally attributed some of Suzuki's work in XIII-2 to Hamauzu before I checked liner notes. D:

The solo violins this time around were by Sho Omagari (VGO's usual concertmaster/Violin 1 first chair) and Zenas Hsu (the concertmaster/V1 FC for Lightning Returns recording of Hamauzu's music) instead of Kuwano-san since we did the recordings over here in Boston other than Crimson Blitz. We definitely listened to a lot of the previous XIII stuff to get the same vibe in the recordings though.

Have a semi-candid picture. That's Zenas recording for Lightning's Theme ~Radiance~

Koozek

Hmmm, how to access the highway? I have some keys, but I fail to see where to use them in order to unlock the way.

You have to use the key on both sides first, then after finishing up the quest talking to Chocolina you'll be able to use the highroad.

Carbonox

Artemis's Arrow

i cant

awr0AOy_460sa.gif

shit is REDONK

Shame the garb looks like shit. You'd have thought such an epic ability would be given to an equally god tier garb that made you look the tits (no pun intended). I don't care, I'm off to fight the Temple boss soon. Dat sword will be mine!

Falk

that puzzling face
The way I understand it the default first schemata (that uses Equilibrium) is called "The Savior".

When you change it to another garb though, it gets renamed to that garb, and when you change it back to Equilibrium, it gets renamed to "Equilibrium".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lain

Another day without the game. Damn post service!
For anyone that ordered it from Amazon, did you get your DLC code in the box, or was it in some email? I'm starting to get worried about no emailed code (I pre-ordered in July, they ran out of codes in December), so hoping it'll be in the box.

Ricker

The way I understand it the default first schemata (that uses Equilibrium) is called "The Savior".

When you change it to another garb though, it gets renamed to that garb, and when you change it back to Equilibrium, it gets renamed to "Equilibrium".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah ok guys,thanks..I am having enough trouble without losing a Garb lol...came close to beating a certain ennemy for an early quest in Wildlands but failed a few times again...my health goes down so fast and even if I guard,some still do like 200 damage to me,and my ATB is so slow,almost all the battles take forever...and I dont want to waste EP for the slow motion thing because I need to keep 1 EP to teleport back to Luxerion and try the Boss there later in the day...

Great the ennemy is staggered but all my stuff is on fucking ATB cooldown lol...

I have beaten XIII and XIII-2 on normal but this game man...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Beat
Noel
in Luxerion last night and have a few side quests to clean up. I'm enjoying the game much more than I thought I would. Shame its so muddy looking and dark.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ah ok guys,thanks..I am having enough trouble without losing a Garb lol...came close to beating a certain ennemy for an early quest in Wildlands but failed a few times again...my health goes down so fast and even if I guard,some still do like 200 damage to me,and my ATB is so slow,almost all the battles take forever...and I dont want to waste EP for the slow motion thing because I need to keep 1 EP to teleport back to Luxerion and try the Boss there later in the day...

Great the ennemy is staggered but all my stuff is on fucking ATB cooldown lol...

I have beaten XIII and XIII-2 on normal but this game man...
Yeah, I'd leave Wildlands for last.

Kazdane

Really digging the game. Already on Day 4 (after abusing chronostasis in Day 3
so much that I fought 6? last ones
), and also beat the Luxerion boss right at the beginning of Day 3, and the Wildlands Boss at the beginning of Day 4
(it felt to me like the White Mage garb, or Dispel, was mandatory to manage Caius's damage, since my Lightning was on 4k hp in two of the schematas and 3k in the other)
. The Guard Defense stat may be easy to overlook but it's a life saver (
I'm guessing it also helps a ton against the chocobo eater)

Now it's on to Yusnaan, hoping the performance will be better there, the framerate drops in wildlands were quite evident in some areas...

best way to obtain blizzara and blizzaga?
There's a Blizzaga in the Temple of the Goddess if I'm not mistaken? I just can't remember in which level.

Enjoying it, but I really miss the old Stagger bar from XIII and XIII-2. Not quite feeling the combat yet, as much as I did the combat in the previous two, but I like the time-management stuff (since I liked Dead Rising). Lots of great humour too, had quite a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Kinda weird how the XIII series has, over the course of three games, made me like all three as a whole.

That framerate though. It's naive to hope for a patch that improves performance, and I can live with the horrible framerate, I just wish it wasn't *everywhere*.

Another day without the game. Damn post service!
For anyone that ordered it from Amazon, did you get your DLC code in the box, or was it in some email? I'm starting to get worried about no emailed code (I pre-ordered in July, they ran out of codes in December), so hoping it'll be in the box.

It should be emailed to you. Mine took 3 days to be emailed to me after I received my game

see5harp

Man. It's hard to believe how dumb this story is in the first hour. I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing they chose to try and actually mention the fact that Hope has reverted back in age.

Go_Ly_Dow

Really digging the game. Already on Day 4 (after abusing chronostasis in Day 3
so much that I fought 6? last ones
), and also beat the Luxerion boss right at the beginning of Day 3, and the Wildlands Boss at the beginning of Day 4
(it felt to me like the White Mage garb, or Dispel, was mandatory to manage Caius's damage, since my Lightning was on 4k hp in two of the schematas and 3k in the other)
. The Guard Defense stat may be easy to overlook but it's a life saver (
I'm guessing it also helps a ton against the chocobo eater)

Now it's on to Yusnaan, hoping the performance will be better there, the framerate drops in wildlands were quite evident in some areas...

There's a Blizzaga in the Temple of the Goddess if I'm not mistaken? I just can't remember in which level.

found it. thanks

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Enjoying it, but I really miss the old Stagger bar from XIII and XIII-2.

That framerate though. It's naive to hope for a patch that improves performance, and I can live with the horrible framerate, I just wish it wasn't *everywhere*.

Yeah, I totally agree, that was such a great visual indication of how much stagger time you had and whether your actions were effective in increasing stagger.

The framerate is the worst I've seen in all the FXIII games and all the FF games I've played on console. Fighting the desert fish monsters, oy.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This game is brilliant, there's so much details and funny things around that is scary. Did you know for example that if you wait to face Noel he gets stronger with time and even equips better stuff? Just wow.

I'll be straight to the point: this is the most brilliant game S-E came up with in a long time. Next to Nier, but here there's even more genius. S-E with restricted budget is always the best Square Enix. Definitely confirmed now.

Sioen

This game is brilliant, there's so much details and funny things around that is scary. Did you know for example that if you wait to face Noel he gets stronger with time and even equips better stuff? Just wow.

I'll be straight to the point: this is the most brilliant game S-E came up with in a long time. Next to Nier, but here there's even more genius. S-E with restricted budget is always the best Square Enix. Definitely confirmed now.
I think it's really good too, don't get why it got some really low scores.

tumblr_laik9lbEnC1qc3nu7o1_500.gif

Carbonox

yoooooooo yooooooooooooooooo

pls

g1liNzy.png

Where is this cosmic beauty? No one seems to know how to get it (apparently it's not even available in-game :lol)

Lightning looks like she's running the Universe with this excessive nightmarish garb. I WANT IT. It's like something from Soul Calibur.

dat description

A holy garb, imbued with the life of all creation and blessed by the spiris which turn even the stars in the sky.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hardest optional boss in the game? Pffffttt!

gBuIo2i.jpg

Szadek

What excatly is brilliant about that?

Anyway,I was thinking about getting the game today,because I like the battle system and the customization.
However,the time limit ,balance issues and focus on fetch quests really turned me off.
I will wait for a significant price drop...which, according to my calculations, will take about 6 weeks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuck, this shit is crazy

GLRmT1j.jpg

Ricker

The game is good but far from brilliant,there is too many bad design choices to make it brilliant,like only 5 recovery item,the awful quest tracking,the awful time management,the difficulty spikes,the awful slowdowns in Wildlands,the bad textures and darkness in Luxerion,etc etc...

Yoshichan

The game is good but far from brilliant,there is too many bad design choices to make it brilliant,like only 5 recovery item,the awful quest tracking,the awful time management,the difficulty spikes,the awful slowdowns in Wildlands,the bad textures and darkness in Luxerion,etc etc...
The recovery items can be expanded.

Yoshichan

You're a beast yoshi.

What's your schemata setup?
Basically:

- Both items that steals Brave, Faith, Protect from the enemy (Heavy Slash)

- Fira and Thundara chaining for stagger

- Light Slashes to keep the stagger intact

- Slow at all times

That, and a lot of timings and awareness! Gotta love the optional fights in FF games.

george_us

GAF, I have a secret to confess.

...I like Lighting Returns.
I honestly like it too. It's heavily flawed but I've been actually having a decent amount of fun with it. Plus I rather like the somber tone of the story and the soundtrack is pretty damn great. The battle system is incredible. I actually wish the game somehow incorporated multiple characters. Fighting with
Fang
? Feels good man. The time limit bugs the shit out of me though. I love the passage of time but just wish there wasn't such a hard time limit on things. Either that or I wish you could rewind time ala Majora's Mask. Still it has a chance to go down as my favorite of the XIII trilogy.

Adaren

The framerate is the worst I've seen in all the FXIII games and all the FF games I've played on console. Fighting the desert fish monsters, oy.

Desert fish lag is clearly a bug. Haven't gone to Wildlands yet to see how it is there, but I still think the frame rate is more consistent than XIII-2.

And I'm finding this game to have a pretty good level of difficulty. There's enough danger to keep you cautious, but the EP abilities/items provide a lot of room for error until you figure out a good strategy and rhythm for a type of enemy. I definitely haven't fought anything that felt unfair.

Of course, I haven't been to the Wildlands yet, so maybe I'll be complaining about the difficulty after that. ;)

chrono01

Ugh! I still haven't received my CE from Square-Enix's online store [since Canadian express shipping was so much more than standard, I opted for the latter >_>]. No tracking either.

Here's hoping it arrives soon...

Yoshichan

Final day, guys :'(...
I found someone selling a Shard Blade for 50,000. Should I get that?
Nope! Kill Reavers (by perfect blocking them, stagger > kill) and you'll get one for free.

YoungOne

Went ahead and bought the game, I am really enjoying it so far diging the combat and customization. Will post more as I progress.

Shinta

Banned
yoooooooo yooooooooooooooooo

pls

g1liNzy.png

Where is this cosmic beauty? No one seems to know how to get it (apparently it's not even available in-game :lol)

Lightning looks like she's running the Universe with this excessive nightmarish garb. I WANT IT. It's like something from Soul Calibur.

dat description

That's part of the DLC outfits that will be coming up soon. There's 4 I think, including a moogle outfit that's pretty insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFkhhMdRzI4

And yeah ... she floats as her idle animation. That is pretty badass.

Kazdane

22 hours played so far (Day 5).

BgtXDvcCUAALJEd.jpg

Regarding the weapon:
It comes from the Last One Behemoth (Appanda?) in the Wildlands. Not sure what the english name is though.

Go_Ly_Dow

YESSSSS!!!!!!!! Beat Wildlands!1
Caius

Went in very very defensive

1 garb with an item that reduces magic damage by 75%
1 garb with an item that reduces physical damage by 75%

With both you can't cause any damage so set heavy and mediguard and 1 magic to break

Finally 1 garb with heavy slash

Simply switched garbs as the boss switched their attack traits

Then inbetween hit around 7000 a hit with heavy slash. No need to break.

Easy.

Ricker

Finally beat the Luxerion Boss...no stars though lol but I don't care ;)....

On the 6th day now though and it says 3 days left...going to start using chronostasis more now I guess.

HeelPower

About Caius.

That's a very stupid plot point.Aside from the Yeul senseless retcon , he doesn't deserve any salvation.He is the one who brought everything to shit in the first place.

Also, I feel absolutely no sympathy for Caius Yeul thing.He is some seriously messed up psycho to think Yeul's death greenlights him to destroy the world.

I dislike this plot point so much.

Go_Ly_Dow

for those struggling.

when you reach wildlands grab the garbs with heavy slash 3. one available at arys village and the other at jagd village.

its simple to just have 1-2 defensive garbs and break with magic, then unleash 3-4 hits of heavy slash.

Yoshichan

Wow, I just realized I have to grind for another 5 or so hours in the final dungeon because of this stupid side quest. God, that's annoying. So close to beating it.

Zafir

About Caius.

That's a very stupid plot point.Aside from the Yeul senseless retcon , he doesn't deserve any salvation.He is the one who brought everything to shit in the first place.

Also, I feel absolutely no sympathy for Caius Yeul thing.He is some seriously messed up psycho to think Yeul's death greenlights him to destroy the world.

I dislike this plot point so much.
I'm quite amazed you can take the plot seriously in general. :p

I mean I'm enjoying the gameplay, but the story, I just can't. I just finished Sazh's episode,
and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Dajh locking his heart away because Sazh was always angry/frowning lol? Really?

Top Bottom