• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Zafir

Beat the Yusnaan main quest last night. Hot diggity damn that was good.

Now to do the Dead Dunes, the only area I've yet to fully explore (I've briefly touched upon it but that's it).

Day 6 babeh here I come.

Also, is there a better schemata than Passion Rouge (dat Lvl2 DeProtect/Shell)/Electronica (dem Magic boosts)/Velvet Bouncer (TANKTANK)? I've been using this pretty much exclusively and have absolutely destroyed everything so far (Luxerion and Yusnaan bosses, pls, less than a minute they took). I'm always starting off with DeProtect/DeShell and then just wailing on enemies with the -ga spells. The only issue I have is that the costumes suck and lack that awesome/badass feel. Then again I don't have many garbs anyway so that's more my fault for not checking out what else there is.
I picked up some nice magic schemata from Yusnaan just before the gate. Said it was a rare trader so may not be around all the time.

MilkBeard

I picked up some nice magic schemata from Yusnaan just before the gate. Said it was a rare trader so may not be around all the time.

Yeah, there are some interesting garbs there that will cast buffs when you switch out of them. pretty interesting tactic that I may try out if I'm having a tough boss battle.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How much do you like it?

Well enough to actually want to keep playing it. It's not like, a fantastic game, but it scratches that FF itch. Only thing I don't like is the time mechanic. Severely stupid thing to put into a game with such a large world to poke around in, but since you can eventually manage that well enough, it only sucks until you can fight enemies that give you enough EP. Really, really wish this didn't have a time mechanic though. I would give it a whole nother point if it didn't. Hate feeling rushed in RPGs.

It's ok. Me too.
I actually like all three FFXIII games
. It was rough going at first, but as I said a couple posts back, I've come around.

Heh. I'm the opposite of you. I hatedhatedhated FFXIII. But as a side game, I'm enjoying this. I sort of like Lighting anyway, so that helps quite a bit.

But do you rike ritiningu?

Yeah. I mean, I hate the bubbly Vanille type characters in JRPGs, so Lighting is okay with me as the polar opposite. Toriyama is super creepy with it though

MilkBeard

Weird, I got an EP glitch. I started with 8 today, then after using some and regaining it, at full it said 7. I've used 4 more, and yet there are still 4 bars left but it says 3. Strangeness.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was just a fraction away from getting a full bar, that's why it still said that it was one lower than it looked.

Shinta

Banned
Just finished day 2 on Normal. 19 hours 15 minutes playtime so far. Chronostasis can basically be used indefinitely once you really get the battle system down and get in a spot with lots of enemies.

I'm blown away by this game now. I just took a peak inside the temple in the wildlands. God damn. This could actually be my favorite one of the trilogy.

Yes it is. it is getting to a point that they can no longer do the concerts traditionally.They would pick one or two from an entire album of a game. Either make the show longer or make a concert for each game (doubt that would happen). You can make an entire concert with just XIII series music and it still might not be enough.

LR alone has like 5.2 hours of music. Concerts definitely won't ever be long enough. Even a 2 hour concert is pretty long.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just finished day 2 on Normal. 19 hours 15 minutes playtime so far. Chronostasis can basically be used indefinitely once you really get the battle system down and get in a spot with lots of enemies.
Until you make them extinct...

Giolon

I'm blown away by this game now. I just took a peak inside the temple in the wildlands. God damn. This could actually be my favorite one of the trilogy.

At least until they start going Extinct...

Shinta

Banned
Until you make them extinct...

I'm probably going to run into that any minute now. So far, new enemies have just popped up instead. I guess we'll see. I'm basically fighting every single thing, and already put 3 enemy types into extinction ...

Also, is there a better schemata than Passion Rouge (dat Lvl2 DeProtect/Shell)/Electronica (dem Magic boosts)/Velvet Bouncer (TANKTANK)? I've been using this pretty much exclusively and have absolutely destroyed everything so far (Luxerion and Yusnaan bosses, pls, less than a minute they took). I'm always starting off with DeProtect/DeShell and then just wailing on enemies with the -ga spells. The only issue I have is that the costumes suck and lack that awesome/badass feel. Then again I don't have many garbs anyway so that's more my fault for not checking out what else there is.

I've started using one of the garbs with Beat Down on it. If you equip the weapon Shadow Hunter to it, Beat Down turns into Jump on the finale hit of a combo. Does massive stagger damage.

Thoraxes

I always listen for chord progressions first when determining if it's Hamauzu or not :)

But yes, he loves the violin and typically works with Kuwano a lot because they're bros.

His style is probably my favorite in all music, and his non-gaming endeavors are all really worth checking out if you are a fan of more traditional music in the vein of his compositional voice. IMERAUT is really great too, albeit a more non-traditional approach to a fusion of styles mixed with some Ainu influences thanks to Mina. I studied and presented a lot of his non-gaming music while in grad. school, and it always went over really well at conservatory.

Even performed some piano pieces for juries, heh.

GAF, I have a secret to confess.

...I like Lighting Returns.
Eh, it can be okay.

I'm getting the most out of it but I do admit, if it wasn't for my slight fondness for Lightning, I'd consider this one of the worst and boring RPGs I ever played!

Certainly the worst story in a JRPG for sure!

A good character design can go a long way for me. Allows me to enjoy a otherwise terrible game.

Note I said "good character design." As a character though, Lightning is a bit boring, although there are some parts in the game that showed her personality a bit. Too bad Toriyama didn't develop that side a bit more.

Shinta

Banned
Very minor late-game spoiler:

Anybody got a strategy to beat
Ereshkigal
on a first Normal playthrough?

It's a pretty detailed, 2 page strategy that would take a while to type up. They recommend Splendid Admiral / L'automne / Equilibrium +. Hug the wall to get a pre-emptive strike for the 25% off health to start. Use attack to jump in the air then alternate between elemental spells on his weakness. Once you activate stagger, you need to reach lvl 2 stagger very fast. When staggered he can only use a move that hits on the ground, so stay in the air. Then eventually after he gets his barriers up you get lvl 3 stagger after that.Begin overclocking, also have poison and slow on. Don't let meteor waste an overclock use.

That's the extremely condensed version. I don't know if it's even useful as is.

I think every time I've ever used Overclock except at the beginning of the game, it's been an accident and I had to reset and start again lol not worth the EP

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda feel overwhelmed about the game... Like the platinum is impossible.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Man... the Dead Dunes are so beautiful, graphics here are finally impressive and the artstyle amazing. It also helps this area fully showcases what a proper Final Fantasy is made of: huge areas, lots of things to explore, secrets scattered around, town, dungeons, ruins, sidequests, monsters... just WOW. I think making the game start in Luxerion was a bad decision, gives the wrong impression of the game. Definitely the weakest are gameplay wise and visually.

Now there's one thing I don't like: music direction in this game is fucked up. Two many tracks reusing that again, like in XIII-2, fails to give the world a distinctive music style. There's TOO much music going on, it's impossibile to keep track of everything.

WanderingWind

Bah. I am downgrading my opinion. I'm on the part where I have to track down numbers hidden on walls throughout the city before the night falls. Well, that's great except one of them (at least) is hidden behind the timelock gates. So, if you don't manage to either stumble on it or the NPC that tells you where it is between 0000-0600, you're just shit out of luck.

So frustrating. I just want to play the damn game. I really sort of dislike whoever crammed a crappy time mechanic in this thing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Bah. I am downgrading my opinion. I'm on the part where I have to track down numbers hidden on walls throughout the city before the night falls. Well, that's great except one of them (at least) is hidden behind the timelock gates. So, if you don't manage to either stumble on it or the NPC that tells you where it is between 0000-0600, you're just shit out of luck.

So frustrating. I just want to play the damn game. I really sort of dislike whoever crammed a crappy time mechanic in this thing.
But all of the game's main quests have a time sensitive portion at some point. Maybe not Wildlands though. Besides, some people here were complaining about having ample time to do things before the end of the world.

WanderingWind

But all of the game's main quests have a time sensitive portion at some point. Maybe not Wildlands though. Besides, some people here were complaining about having ample time to do things before the end of the world.

Ah. Well, that sucks. Sorry I want to talk to people and try to hunt down monsters, game. Fuck. So close to being really awesome. It's so supremely stupid to layer time sensitive pieces on top of each other like that. You have X time to find Y widgets. Oh, but you have to find Q number of X within W allotted time of Y in area G.

And then Hope pipes in with his annoying Otis impression with "Light, you still have two more to find before nightfall. Except that you literally can't do anything whatsoever now because it's 0800. Better just run around until mission failure!"

Grumblegrumblegrumble

MilkBeard

Ah. Well, that sucks. Sorry I want to talk to people and try to hunt down monsters, game. Fuck. So close to being really awesome. It's so supremely stupid to layer time sensitive pieces on top of each other like that. You have X time to find Y widgets. Oh, but you have to find Q number of X within W allotted time of Y in area G.

And then Hope pipes in with his annoying Otis impression with "Light, you still have two more to find before nightfall. Except that you literally can't do anything whatsoever now because it's 0800. Better just run around until mission failure!"

Grumblegrumblegrumble

You're really overthinking it. Once you complete it, you'll be saying "Oh, it wasn't as bad as I thought." And really, this quest is one of the harder quests in terms of getting the timing right. Yusnaan is that way at the end, but I haven't discovered any others that are quite as tense as that.

WanderingWind

You're really overthinking it. Once you complete it, you'll be saying "Oh, it wasn't as bad as I thought." And really, this quest is one of the harder quests in terms of getting the timing right. Yusnaan is that way at the end, but I haven't discovered any others that are quite as tense as that.

But I literally cannot complete it. It's impossible. I have two saves, one from 0813 and one at 1046. I could restart the game, but uh...no.

Go_Ly_Dow

I agree perfo.

Theres too many reused tracks. Heard like 10 different normal battle themes so far. Wtffff.

Hope XV has a singular worldmap theme like FF's in years past.

MilkBeard

But I literally cannot complete it. It's impossible. I have two saves, one from 0813 and one at 1046. I could restart the game, but uh...no.

just look up the locations then I guess, or wait another day, and in the meantime do other quests while you are waiting.

EDIT: If it helps, I found most of them buy talking to people instead of actually seeing them on the wall. But if you actually go to the wall, you'll see little cutscenes that clue you in on something...

WanderingWind

just look up the locations then I guess, or wait another day, and in the meantime do other quests while you are waiting.

Well, I know where the last location is now after talking to a random NPC. It is behind a gate that I cannot get behind. The quest fails at the end of the day, according to Hope. I have done the other quests that I can do at this point (sort of what got me into this fail state in the first place).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Games' music is ass (except for the reharshed music for one particular bad guy that existed in a previous game). I didn't expect much of the soundtrack, but how dare how say that FFXIII-2 had a bad OST? It had one of last gens best songs and the overall quality was godtier.

MilkBeard

Well, I know where the last location is now after talking to a random NPC. It is behind a gate that I cannot get behind. The quest fails at the end of the day, according to Hope. I have done the other quests that I can do at this point (sort of what got me into this fail state in the first place).

Hmm. I was under the impression that it was part of the main quest and you couldn't fail it. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. I've failed two quests. I'll probably get them on NG +.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Wait music is GOOD, it's the re-used tracks that are annoying as hell to me. Let me hear the 3 new battle themes (crimson, saviour, lightning returns) everytime instead of the usuals from XIII-2 that I'm bored with them already!

MilkBeard

If I'm remembering correctly, it's in the Warren, which opens up before you have to go back to the ark. So I don't think you've lost just yet. That's the only one that was locked, if I remember. The Warren is open from 12-6 am.

WanderingWind

If I'm remembering correctly, it's in the Warren, which opens up before you have to go back to the ark. So I don't think you've lost just yet. That's the only one that was locked, if I remember. The Warren is open from 12-6.

That's the one. But it's open 0000-0600 and it's already past that time. Unless I'm confused as to the time cycle. Which would be awesome

MilkBeard

That's the one. But it's open 0000-0600.

Yeah, that's before you have to go back to the Ark. Also, the phone call has to be made around midnight I believe...so you ahve to run to the Warren, get the code, then go to the phone booth. I'm not sure how you can fail it unless you've already waited too long to make the phone call.

EDIT: 6:00 is when you get beamed back up. So basically, if you are anywhere from 12am to 6 you are fine. In this game 6pm would be 1800, which might be what you are mistaking for 6:00.

WanderingWind

Yeah, that's before you have to go back to the Ark. Also, the phone call has to be made around midnight I believe...so you ahve to run to the Warren, get the code, then go to the phone booth. I'm not sure how you can fail it unless you've already waited too long to make the phone call.

Well, awesome. Thank you! I misunderstood the times of things. Glad to see the error was on my part.

Darkone

Need some tips before going in to this game, i don't want to play for 20 hours and find myself in need to restart the game, i don`t have that much spare time :(.
Is there a way to get more Days/time you have until it runs out?

Thanks

MilkBeard

Need some tips before going in to this game, i don't want to play for 20 hours and find myself in need to restart the game, i don`t have that much spare time :(.
Is there a way to get extend the Days/time you have until it runs out?

Thanks

Completing main quests will extend a day each, as well as a certain number of side quests I believe. Not sure what side quests will trigger an extension though. But as long as you prioritize your exploring to include main quests and side quests together you will be fine.

Zafir

Is there a way to get more Days/time you have until it runs out?

Thanks
Each main questline you complete you get an extra day. Aside from that you can just keep using 1 EP which is easily grinded from mobs to stop time.

MilkBeard

As for my progress, I'm in the Wildlands temple and I'm doing pretty well, now that I've done a few more quests, and equipped some strong ice spells. There are some powerful spells you can get in this temple. I'm starting to really kick ass with Thundaga, Blizzaga, Auroga, etc.

I've also found Heavy Slash to be really helpful, especially when you stagger an enemy. It does some pretty heavy damage. I think Medi-Guard is also a must. Being able to heal while guarding has been really helpful for me so I don't have to waste items or EP when I don't need to.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure where this is coming from but XIII only did 235k in UK? I thought it did better than that o_O

PAL charts thread.

Well it's best to look at Europe as one entity. Majority of sales will probably come from France. They eat up Japanese media.

LR week 1 is less than half of XIII-2 week 1.

MilkBeard

Woohoo! Beat
Caius
on my first try, three stars. Was a tough battle, and really crazy, but after a few minutes you start to get a hang on his patterns. Epic fight.

BgraKFjCEAEQxkl.jpg

My god...this sword is just ridiculous :)

EDIT: Changed the image to a slightly better one.

HeelPower

So freaking cool! You can find Noel roaming luxerion.Nice detail.

BgrlV2wCYAAWZIZ.jpg:large

I always listen for chord progressions first when determining if it's Hamauzu or not :)

But yes, he loves the violin and typically works with Kuwano a lot because they're bros.

His style is probably my favorite in all music, and his non-gaming endeavors are all really worth checking out if you are a fan of more traditional music in the vein of his compositional voice. IMERAUT is really great too, albeit a more non-traditional approach to a fusion of styles mixed with some Ainu influences thanks to Mina. I studied and presented a lot of his non-gaming music while in grad. school, and it always went over really well at conservatory.

Even performed some piano pieces for juries, heh.

That's so cool.You major in music and you played his pieces.

I always wish I had some musical education but it never happened.

I listened to his no gaming music too.Very awesome music.Love his style.

Carbonox

Woohoo! Beat
Caius
on my first try, three stars. Was a tough battle, and really crazy, but after a few minutes you start to get a hang on his patterns. Epic fight.

BgraKFjCEAEQxkl.jpg

Looking forward to taking on the boss myself just cos I want dat sword of truth.

MilkBeard

BgrlV2wCYAAWZIZ.jpg:large

That's so cool.You major in music and you played his pieces.

I always wish I had some musical education but it never happened.

I listened to his no gaming music too.Very awesome music.Love his style.

Nice, haven't seen him yet. During the Sazh quest, he'll be roaming around different cities. Snow also is in the city after his event. Pretty cool. That's one of the things the game does right I think, is having a cause and effect with NPCs.

Ricker

Was thinking about this messy game earlier today...since I was going nowhere I deleted all schemata and redid them but I lost The Savior one...? or was that just the name it gave to the first one you got...?

Terra_Ex

Woohoo! Beat
Caius

BgraKFjCEAEQxkl.jpg

Excellent, I'm glad that sword is in the game, need it to complete my velvet bouncer look, my current sword isn't cutting it anymore.
yBuBWUW.png

The game continues to be fun to play but I am concerned I won't have enough time to do everything on my current playthrough.

That is pretty cool, I've heard people in Luxerion chatting about seeing him but I didn't imagine he'd actually be wandering around. I'll keep a lookout for him.

Top Bottom