• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

LRFFXIII_Celestial.png

this one is nice too

eXistor

I'm actually kind of loving the game. I put about 10 hours into it and I can definitely see how people would hate it, but the game does the things that I want it to do right. I couldn't care less about story and characters in anything FFXIII related, so that's almost a non-issue. I love the combat, it seems quite deep and feels very satisfying learning all the enemies' traits. Most of all though, I love how the game lets players find things out for themselves. Pretty early on in the game you're let loose in the world and here's where the game shines.

The quests themselves aren't too great (fairly standard fetch-quests really), but I'm not finding this to be detracting on the overall experience so far. The day/night cycle is pretty neat; day and night feel very dfferent from each other and the gloomy music lends itself very well to the end-of-the-world theme the game is running with.

My main downside to the game is mostly technical issues. Simply said, the game runs like ass (PS3 version here). Textures are ugly, lighting is almost non-existent and the average framerate sees to be about 20. It detracts from what, to me, is a very fun and exciting romp.

It feels liek a very experimental game; some things work, some don't, but I'm always infinitely more interested in games that try to be different even if they're rough around the edges than games that tread the same old path over and over again. I felt the same way about XIII-2 and Lightning Returns seems to be about the same quality, be it in a very different way.

I'm glad this is the last game in the XIII universe (the worst so far for the series), but I will say I very much appreciate the fact that both sequels have tried to do something completely different and in doing so, they've just about managed to retro-actively save XIII from being a complete disaster. I'd actually recommend skipping XIII and just playing both sequels at this point. The story is nonsensical anyway, so just ignore it.

Really cool getting into a good groove with a setup that works for a while. Paladin garb for tanking w/Bonecracker (Deprotect Curse, etc Chaser); Vengeance w/Stagger Drain mixed with Chaos's Revenge weapon which lowers stagger limit; Carnaval Crusher partly for looks but also w/built-in NulAll Guard, magic boosted by Succubus Claw blade.

Favorite part of this setup is the Beat Down Lv3 that is locked to Vengeance. Just unexpectedly triggered the Fatal Impact achievement with that.

Kouriozan

Alright, finished the game, that ending made me smile I must confess :)

/SPOILER ALERT\
I guess, they are now living on Earth and Lightning is seeking Serah, right?
"I'll meet you soon" or something like that she said.
I'm French so it made me laugh too x)

Took me about 30 hours and so close to get the platinum now, and then I'll have platinum-ed the entire trilogy.

Wow, that fight with
Noel
was really satisfying. Ended up with around 1% HP and no supplies or EP. I wasn't expecting him to start powering up like that towards the end, which really made me go into panic mode. If this is the first boss on normal then I am expecting some damn exciting fights to come.

I also like how each battle is like a puzzle where it concerns charging the stagger meter. Love that shattering glass sound when they do stagger, and it's great how de-buffs often automatically go with the stagger.

Wilsongt

What excatly is brilliant about that?

Anyway,I was thinking about getting the game today,because I like the battle system and the customization.
However,the time limit ,balance issues and focus on fetch quests really turned me off.
I will wait for a significant price drop...which, according to my calculations, will take about 6 weeks.

It's Perfo. We don't ask.

I love the gameplay, the storyline with Snow is great, the main quest story is decent to pretty good. But what I absolutely hate about this game is the forced side quests.

My main downside to the game is mostly technical issues. Simply said, the game runs like ass (PS3 version here). Textures are ugly, lighting is almost non-existent and the average framerate sees to be about 20. It detracts from what, to me, is a very fun and exciting romp.
At least the loading times is 60 FPS! :p

Go_Ly_Dow

is there any room in the final dungeon to strengthen somehow in case the last boss kicks your ass?

have 3 days left with all main quests done. was strong enough to beat the caos chocobo eater with no real problem. would rather advance in the story then bother with tedious sidequests.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Final boss :O!!'

I'm loving this game! :D I saved the dunes for last, not going there until defeating
Noel, Snow and Caius.
I'm glad I did, it feels like an appropriate late game chapter. The big dengeon is a blast to explore and gather all the loot
(I viewed the 3 murals but haven't opened the big door yet)
and the combat just keeps getting more and more fun. I'm still concerned about running out of time though, I'm on day 10, 2hrs remaining with 2 days left and have neglected to abuse chronostasis until today.

I like how it contextualizes the sidequests. Usually you're THE ONE on a urgent mission to save the world, yet expected to stop every 5 feet to do someone's laundry. Here you're tasked by god himself to do people's laundry. :p it helps. Still the same mundane bullshit, but context makes a difference. Also some of the sidequests do make for fun little sub plots.

I LOVE how you can add your own marks/annotations to the map. This should be mandatory for every open world game.

I like how it doesn't hold your hand and bury the map with quest markers telling you exactly where to go, but a little more direction would be nice given the omnipresent clock. Like when I complete a quest I wish the quest giver would be marked so I wouldn't have to waste time hunting for them if I forgot where they were. I can add my own mark but shouldn't have too.

I've never had a problem with Lighting but she's definitely the best she's ever been here. She's more interesting and engaging, less emo and detached. I like her now. I just wish the rest of the cast was more involved, same issue I had with XIII-2. I love that
Fang
is with me in the dunes.

Speaking of the other characters, they made 500 outfits for lighting but couldn't make one for each of the returning cast? Sazh, Fang, Vanile, Hope, all have the same clothing from the first game. Lame.

I like the story too, I always have for this series. It's crazy and out there, but that's part of the fun. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Final boss :O!!"

... which ended up being the biggest pathetic artificial difficulty shitfest in recent gaming history. Absolute shit how half the mechanics from gear that have worked on SUPER bosses previously doesn't work here.

Good job Square, enjoy the minus two or three in score because you _had_ to add artificial difficulty and revamped gameplay mechanics in the last 20 minutes of the game.

Go_Ly_Dow

... which ended up being the biggest pathetic artificial difficulty shitfest in recent gaming history. Absolute shit how half the mechanics from gear that have worked on SUPER bosses previously doesn't work here.

Good job Square, enjoy the minus two or three in score because you _had_ to add artificial difficulty and revamped gameplay mechanics in the last 20 minutes of the game.

welp.

can see myself youtubing the ending then.

will give it several attempts. however expecting to get my ass kicked.

Yoshichan

welp.

can see myself youtubing the ending then.

will give it several attempts. however expecting to get my ass kicked.
It's just that when a game teaches you how 99,9% of the game works, you get a pleasent "fuck you" when you reach the 0,01% parts.

Now, to see the ending of this shitfest of a story :lol

I like how it doesn't hold your hand and bury the map with quest markers telling you exactly where to go, but a little more direction would be nice given the omnipresent clock. Like when I complete a quest I wish the quest giver would be marked so I wouldn't have to waste time hunting for them if I forgot where they were. I can add my own mark but shouldn't have too.

Well, like I've said before - either the game should have had quest markers for all quests since there is a time limit or remove the time limit and let you discover how to beat the quests yourself. The fact that the game has a time limit and vague quests just makes me want to use a walkthrough/guide to do all the quests which I really hate doing on my first playthrough.

Yoshichan

Welp.

FFXIII expectations were 10/10, I gave it an 8. Amazing game but shit replay value.

FFXIII-2 expectations were 5/10, I gave it a 9 and consider it the fourth best game of last gen and one of the biggest surprise hits of all time.

LR FFXIII expectations were high (9/10) because I thought they would've expanded on FFXIII-2 and the awesome that was Noel/Caius/Yeul... it didn't. Side quests were mostly shit and the rewards didn't feel very rewarding. Music was a huge disappointment, especially after the music brilliance that was FFXIII-2. Graphics are shit too. Battle gameplay is fantastic though, as expected.

LR FFXIII is a 7.

So XIII-2 > XIII > LR

This trilogy gave me lots of entertainment. GG.

Well, like I've said before - either the game should have had quest markers for all quests since there is a time limit or remove the time limit and let you discover how to beat the quests yourself. The fact that the game has a time limit and vague quests just makes me want to use a walkthrough/guide to do all the quests which I really hate doing on my first playthrough.

I actually haven't had that much trouble, but I did run to Google a couple of times. Chronostasis helps a lot. More than anything I wish the quest guide would mention when a quest giver is only available during certain times. And that the map was more detailed. Sometimes the guide says an NPC is in a certain place but that specific location isn't on the map.

It's just that when a game teaches you how 99,9% of the game works, you get a pleasent "fuck you" when you reach the 0,01% parts.

Now, to see the ending of this shitfest of a story :lol

Are you the same Yoshi-chan? What did you do to him?!?!

He loved LR and we had spirited debates. Where is he?!?!?!?! :p

Yoshichan

Are you the same Yoshi-chan? What did you do to him?!?!

He loved LR and we had spirited debates. Where is he?!?!?!?! :p
That was a Yoshichan from another dimension, Toriyamas work is upon me now!

No seriously, I never did expect/praise the story in the trilogy. I just fucking loved Caius/Noel/Yeul, that's it. Best part of XIII-2 and this game.

Reveirg

Damn, what an amazing ending.

By the way, Tri-Ace -are- in the credits, but limited to a few motion artists. So I guess they had very little impact on most of the game.

Congrats to Falk on your great job by the way. Nice to see a fellow gaffer contributing to such an amazing soundtrack!

Damn, what an amazing ending.

By the way, Tri-Ace -are- in the credits, but limited to a few motion artists. So I guess they had very little impact on most of the game.

Congrats to Falk on your great job by the way. Nice to see a fellow gaffer contributing to such an amazing soundtrack!

Wait, Falk worked on the soundtrack?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
i like the game, but man these textures.

2602159-1265495219-QJx6u.jpg

It's nice to see that they could reuse some of the assets from Final Fantasy X. That HD remake certainly helped.

Also, I still have the urge to go play the first one. I actually like that. XIII-2 and now this doesn't intrest me in the slightest.

That was a Yoshichan from another dimension, Toriyamas work is upon me now!

No seriously, I never did expect/praise the story in the trilogy. I just fucking loved Caius/Noel/Yeul, that's it. Best part of XIII-2 and this game.

Agreed. Hated the XIII cast and liked Noel/Caius/Yuel. Which is why it disappointed me sooooo much when they announced LR (I was upset in general because they were making a third game) would focus on Lightning and mainly the XIII cast. That's when I became the PshycoNinja you know now. :)

For me, the original cast of characters from FFXIII dragged the entire series down. Had XIII been about Noel/Caius/Yuel, it would've been a much better story.

Coming for the boss of this city.
BguDnShCUAEdzvs.jpg

BguEH1oCEAEhuJi.jpg

Lots of Chaos infusions here
BguJHHPCQAE8VJ0.jpg

But I ran out of time
BguNAyTCAAENunF.jpg

Back again
BguQzbeCUAEjwKI.jpg

Trying out AoO
BguS70HCAAA4Q6l.jpg

BguTOD7CIAEkH_2.jpg

BguW8EgCEAAp4jU.jpg

Time to face the boss
BguX-dLCMAA7Tvw.jpg

After a difficult battle, I bought some new garbs.
Bgu7TIKCEAAQ-Np.jpg

But even here

BguDnShCUAEdzvs.jpg

It looks really long.

Didn't really noticed while I took it, not sure what to say except aside from that cut-scene she looked fine in that dress.

It's weird they changed her body to suit the costumes, it should of been the other way around. In some cases they made her flatter than her original XIII version.

By the way are you even playing the game or just watching videos?

MCD

Now I'm scared. I don't wanna go to the final boss.

HTupolev

It is odd how much this stuck out compared to everything else. It's a bit too obvious and I have to wonder why this was not addressed.
Because when you're building an ambitious game on a low budget, you might sometimes initially aim low and then not have the time to go back over everything and carefully compromise and optimize things into nice, polished shape.

MilkBeard

Because when you're building an ambitious game on a low budget, you might sometimes initially aim low and then not have the time to go back over everything and carefully compromise and optimize things into nice, polished shape.

Yeah, they had to make sacrifices in putting out a game this fast. I wonder how optimized they could make the game if it had another 6 months to a year in the oven. In some ways I wish they spent more time, because it would have turned this good game (in my opinion) into a great game.

Didn't really noticed while I took it, not sure what to say except aside from that cut-scene she looked fine in that dress.

It's weird they changed her body to suit the costumes, it should of been the other way around. In some cases they made her flatter than her original XIII version.

By the way are you even playing the game or just watching videos?

Just an observation.

Played the game.

HTupolev

It's weird they changed her body to suit the costumes, it should of been the other way around.
Maybe. I can understand the decision since it would be rather difficult to make her original proportions look reasonable in a lot of clothing, though the final approach doesn't always make it work either.

I'm impressed by how well a lot of the costumes work, though, even if some of them are ridiculous trash. There's a lot of variance.

//============================

On a side note, I just started seeing LR ads on youtube. Like, suddenly every single video advert for me is an LR ad. Lol.

Top Bottom