• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

rybrad

Are you playong on normal...? do yourself a favor and start on easy,this game is ridiculously hard on normal...
Indeed I am, I might think about restarting on Easy though. I am having a hard time getting a grasp of the battle system to my liking and it sounds like easy gives more room for learning and experimentation.

Mesharey

I really doubt I will be able to beat the last boss. The mini bosses in the trials are taking me too much time and all my potions to defeat them.
Earth eater will be really hard, but there's a strategy, use jump suit garb 75% physical defense and an accessory & a shield that will give 15 & 10% each physical defense, you will have 100% physical defense.
Try to finish the trial there's something really good.

Earth eater will be really hard, but there's a strategy, use jump suit garb 75% physical defense and an accessory & a shield that will give 15 & 10% each physical defense, you will have 100% physical defense.
Try to finish the trial there's something really good.

Cyber Jump Suit + Ghostly Hood + Guard Glove = physical immunity. But you're shooting one of your schema in the foot, since it takes your offensive power down to zero, basically. Unless you just use that one for debuffs and the like.

Eusis

Just like Final Fantasy 1 lol.
And not in a particularly interesting way either I thought, Lightning Returns is literally the world being kept in stasis for a prolonged period and even XIII-2 didn't exactly have a wide array of characters. Something that spans 1000 years should've been like... well, what I imagined LO to be initially, and what it's short stories actually WERE. And probably ending like the trippier parts of The Fountain.

... I don't even know why I'm in this thread actually. Well I spoiled myself on LR so whatever, I guess I can talk about its stuff on THAT front.

cafemomo

I adore the XIII-2 soundtrack though. It's gotten the most listening of all three XIII games for me.

I was just so turned off by XIII-2 OST (and the game itself). It was just way to experimental for me.

When I first heard "SSSOOOO GAS EM UP WITH DEM GREENS AND LETTT ME GO SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS DAMN CHOCOBO. GOT SOME CHOCOBUX YOU BETTER SHOVE EM UP A CHOCOBO" I just wanted to quit playing.

Of course there are some good stuff like plains of eternity, caius theme & run.

LR OST is simply fantastic. Divine Love & Bhunivelze fight theme is on par with Dancing Mad imo. Yusnaan town theme is just vibrant and filled with joy. And holy shit, with the ending credits theme, I cried like a bitch hearing blinded with light transition to a sample of the classic prelude.

Rizzi

I don't know how I feel about Lightning Returns.
I love the combat, but man, it's super fetch questy. I don't like that.

i managed to get to the 33rd floor with barely any items left..
so.. what is the easiest way to take him down? i wanna beat him this play through so i never have to do loads of side quests again.

About 5 hours in and I'm already considering restarting on easy lol. Tried going to yusnaan while waiting for to get the last part of the code and just barely managed to beat a single enemy there. So I pretty much wasted the entire 2nd day trying to find something to do again in luxerion. That aside I'm enjoying it when I feel like I'm actually making progress.

genbatzu

About 5 hours in and I'm already considering restarting on easy lol. Tried going to yusnaan while waiting for to get the last part of the code and just barely managed to beat a single enemy there. So I pretty much wasted the entire 2nd day trying to find something to do again in luxerion. That aside I'm enjoying it when I feel like I'm actually making progress.

I went from luxerion to wildlands and finished all sidemissions there on day 2, also wildlands main mission till boss. then I went back to luxerion and finished this main story + sidequests on day 2 & 3, Day 4 was my first visit in Yusnaan and it was very easy. Also Day 4 was the day i finished wildlands 100%, as well as main story yusnaan with 99% side missions.

I don't want to spoiler you anything, but I suggest heading to wildlands early. you can gear up there pretty good, and a +900/+900 Auto-Regen Weapon drops there from an Omega Monster.

I play on normal difficulty

fedexpeon

Banned
I am having mix feeling about this game, but I think it is on the right track for the FF series.

Pros:
The combat system is really fun. Sure, it isn't on the same level as the Tales or Star Ocean free roaming combat system, but it keeps their classic ATB system in place.

I won't mention character designs because they are just reusing the same assets.
But the map designs are a "little" better this time around.
And some of the costumes in the game are pretty nice on Lightning.

Cons:
Now the story...lol. Come on guys, at least try. Get rid of the guy who is in charge of the story/plot, and don't let him touch the FF series again. Also get rid of the quest guy at well...

How can you fail 3 times within a single FF series?
Even the fricken MMO, FF14, has a better storyline for your generic character for goodness sake. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

Overall though, I can't wait for FF15. FF:LR at least shows me that SE can improve.
They just need a better script writer, and quest designers.
Their artists, and combat system are still top notch from what I have seen so far of FF15.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was just so turned off by XIII-2 OST (and the game itself). It was just way to experimental for me.

I love experimental. A fantasy vibe with lots of electronic and pop elements? Yes please!!

The Chocobo metal song was one of the lowlights though. Just silly fun really... not the measure of the overall score.

cafemomo

I love experimental. A fantasy vibe with lots of electronic and pop elements? Yes please!!

The Chocobo metal song was one of the lowlights though. Just silly fun really... not the measure of the overall score.

Ah I see.

XIII-2 OST wasn't that memorable to me other than Caius' Theme

It didn't leave much of an impact to me like XIII.

XIII OST is just pure bliss. Blinded by light (which is one of the best battle themes to date), Desperate Struggle, Saber's Edge, March of the Dreadnoughts, Fang's theme, Nascent Requiem,
Sunleth Waterscape
etc... etc..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ah I see.

XIII-2 OST wasn't that memorable to me other than Caius' Theme

It didn't leave much of an impact to me like XIII.

XIII OST is just pure bliss. Blinded by light (which is one of the best battle themes to date), Desperate Struggle, Saber's Edge, March of the Dreadnoughts, Fang's theme, Nascent Requiem,
Sunleth Waterscape
etc... etc..
Won't disagree there. A phenomenal score. It was quite experimental in its own right though... not quite as much as XIII-2 though.

Adaren

So it turns out I can't complete the arithometer quest in Dead Dunes. I think it's because I eliminated all of the quest mobs before I killed the special ones that dropped the item. :|

Oh well. Sitting at 55 hours, halfway through Day 7, and a lot of Last Ones killed. Only a few side quests left too. Has anyone had trouble with the side quest in Luxerion that's supposed to start in the telephone booths? Read about it on the internet but I can't get it to start.

Akuosa

So it turns out I can't complete the arithometer quest in Dead Dunes. I think it's because I eliminated all of the quest mobs before I killed the special ones that dropped the item. :|.
It doesn't drop form a mob, it can be found in the field, passing one of those sandsotoms, if I recall correctly, in a place with a couple targeteable skeletons and a bunch of lizards.

genbatzu

It doesn't drop form a mob, it can be found in the field, passing one of those sandsotoms, if I recall correctly, in a place with a couple targeteable skeletons and a bunch of lizards.

I did it the day before yesterday
(rly that long? it's simply called "vorgestern" in german >.<)
and it definitely dropped from a monster group. But the described location from you is correct.

However, as for every other quest, if you have eliminated a Last One (Omega) and therefore made a species extinct, the item lies around, usually as a glowing dot.

Balphon

So it turns out I can't complete the arithometer quest in Dead Dunes. I think it's because I eliminated all of the quest mobs before I killed the special ones that dropped the item. :|

Oh well. Sitting at 55 hours, halfway through Day 7, and a lot of Last Ones killed. Only a few side quests left too. Has anyone had trouble with the side quest in Luxerion that's supposed to start in the telephone booths? Read about it on the internet but I can't get it to start.

As far as I know, you can start that quest only on the day after you completed the main quest in Luxerion. After that day, it becomes unavailable.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
10 sidequests more to go to reach 50 completed sidequests and unlock with it the 14th day. After that I'll make a manual save file, rush to the ending, enojoy it and after finishing the game go back completing most of it, including the Ultimate dungeon.

Also I don't know how the story will end up but as far as the story going on in Nova Chrysalia is concerned, I must say I really enjoyed it. Simple, straight to the point, emotional moments, no crazy shits happening. Beautiful stuff.

As for the main story cooking behind the Ark... it's a typical japanese evangelion-era stuff straight from 90s animes and mangas.

The game itself is very good. Most of the reviewers probably didn't even leave Luxerion for the other regions. I'm even more convinced now that every score below 7s are to be dismissed as fakes.

The game definitely ranges in-between the 7s and the 8s, unless your name is Edge and you can afford to give this title 6 after giving 5 to XIII and XIII-2. But Edge is Edge, they're quite coherent and honest when it comes to scores and especially the content in their reviews...

Carbonox

The FFXIII-2 chocobo theme made me laugh every single time. It was so ridiculous that I learned to love it.

Though the only thing I ever remember of it is "SO YOU WANT TO RIDE ON MY MOTHERFUCKIN CHOCOBO?!"

I don't know why.

Perfo

Any tips? I'm struggling on Easy lol although it's possible i'm under-levelled.

-ga magics, parry everything, dispel. That's what I did. Also: fully charged EPs to mix Hi-Potions with Curaga, for a total of 6 healing items + 3-4 Curagas depending on your EPs.

Adaren

I did it the day before yesterday
(rly that long? it's simply called "vorgestern" in german >.<)
and it definitely dropped from a monster group. But the described location from you is correct.

However, as for every other quest, if you have eliminated a Last One (Omega) and therefore made a species extinct, the item lies around, usually as a glowing dot.

Hm...I've scoured the lizard place without success. Maybe I'll head back into the tomb and see if I missed any red dots on the ground.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hm...I've scoured the lizard place without success. Maybe I'll head back into the tomb and see if I missed any red dots on the ground.
If you warp to the Grave of the Collosi, there should (or used) to be a sand tornado nearby leading to a dead end. What you are looking for should be there.

qq more

The game itself is very good. Most of the reviewers probably didn't even leave Luxerion for the other regions. I'm even more convinced now that every score below 7s are to be dismissed as fakes.

image.php

dude what

Falk

that puzzling face
You're missing the unfortunate additional layer of subtle humor where the avatar is because of review scores.

HeelPower

Also I don't know how the story will end up but as far as the story going on in Nova Chrysalia is concerned, I must say I really enjoyed it. Simple, straight to the point, emotional moments, no crazy shits happening. Beautiful stuff.

As for the main story cooking behind the Ark... it's a typical japanese evangelion-era stuff straight from 90s animes and mangas.

ugh no...the story consists of old characters parroting their motivations from the first games and they top it off with a completely nonsensical and offensive ending.

The story isn't "beautiful" and its even worse than XIII-2.

The only good thing is that lightning is way better than Serah and Noel put together.

Soooo... Quick and easy questions which have probably been answered but I'm starting after the install finishes so I don't have time to search through the topic...
1) Normal or easy? I'm don't mind a challenge, but I don't want to play through this game twice and I still want to experience what this game has to offer, which leads me to my next question:
2) Do I need to rush too much? I really enjoy exploring game worlds and I'd hate to feel like I need to hurry...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Soooo... Quick and easy questions which have probably been answered but I'm starting after the install finishes so I don't have time to search through the topic...
1) Normal or easy? I'm don't mind a challenge, but I don't want to play through this game twice and I still want to experience what this game has to offer, which leads me to my next question:
2) Do I need to rush too much? I really enjoy exploring game worlds and I'd hate to feel like I need to hurry...
Go easy.

No need to rush, but just keep the main mission in mind while picking up the side quests along the way. Chrono a lot to explore mindlessly.

Perfo

ugh no...the story consists of old characters parroting their motivations from the first games and they top it off with a completely nonsensical and offensive ending.

I disagree here, I thought the story was for once presented in a very simple nice way, it helps that I like Dragon Quest stories with single conclusive episodes taking place in each region. Writing was also way better than XIII-2. I thought the second episode got the lowest quality of them all, and this in regards to every single element that makes a game better or worse than another one. I haven't seen the ending of LR yet though, but again the story in Nova Chrysalia was really nice and I'm satisfied by that, being also the biggest part of the story I don't have much complains left.

I think I'll end up rating the trilogy as this: FFXIII > LR: FFXIII >>>>>>>>>>>>> FFXIII-2.

Ricker

I disagree here, I thought the story was for once presented in a very simple nice way, it helps that I like Dragon Quest stories with single conclusive episodes taking place in each region. Writing was also way better than XIII-2. I thought the second episode got the lowest quality of them all, and this in regards to every single element that makes a game better or worse than another one. I haven't seen the ending of LR yet though, but again the story in Nova Chrysalia was really nice and I'm satisfied by that, being also the biggest part of the story I don't have much complains left.

I think I'll end up rating the trilogy as this: FFXIII > LR: FFXIII >>>>>>>>>>>>> FFXIII-2.

When can you remove the avatar Perfo...? it's creeping me out lol ;)

frequency

I really enjoy LR's story. I don't like how it's given to you though.

One of my favourite things about the FFXIII trilogy was the character interactions. It really makes me sad how they handle Hope and Lightning communications in this one. I miss half of what Hope says because some monster ran into me or I run into a cutscene or something. Since there is constantly advancing time, I can't just stand there and listen to them talk as time wastes away.

I wish they did something like codecs in MGS that would pause the time for me to listen to them talk.

This is the only game I have ever liked side quests in though. Many of them are interesting little stories and they allow us to see other sides of Lightning, which adds depth to her character. So they're not just pointless fetch/kill quests for stats. I wouldn't bother if it was just that but the story rewards are driving me to find every quest to do them all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
10 sidequests more to go to reach 50 completed sidequests and unlock with it the 14th day. After that I'll make a manual save file, rush to the ending, enojoy it and after finishing the game go back completing most of it, including the Ultimate dungeon.

The game definitely ranges in-between the 7s and the 8s, unless your name is Edge and you can afford to give this title 6 after giving 5 to XIII and XIII-2. But Edge is Edge, they're quite coherent and honest when it comes to scores and especially the content in their reviews...

Stop. Just. Fucking. Stop.
This attitude is getting ridiculous from you. Why can't you just enjoy the game without having to put down other people's reviews? You may not agree with them, but perhaps they have different standards than you do and you should respect that.

Nohar

The game has many, many flaws. The thing is, it could be a good game, and it definitly is a good game for some, but I, for instance, just can't overlook these flaws:
  • The inconsistent framerate really cripples the gameplay experience.
  • The visibility in combat is just plain bad with the default camera angle. Even with the camera angle which allows a far better view of the battlefield, things get once again difficult when enemies use some special attacks and the camera makes it impossible to read the action correctly (when you have to time your blocks, that's a huge problem).
  • Some garbs are ridiculous, and I find very offensive to give these to wear to Lightning (who in her right mind would never wear some, but it's never adressed just incredibly out-of-character this is). I'll be blunt: it's sick to sexualize a female character that way (heck, they even "enhanced" her breasts for this episode). Toriyama's waifu indeed. I really feel sorry for her character to be reduced to a fetish. This is not fan-service. Those are not clever design. This is just sick.
  • I'd rather not talk too much about the story-writing... The whole FFXIII trilogy was incredibly disappointing.

Falk

that puzzling face
You want debuffs and obviously ice/fire for the monkeys. Load up debuffs on the strongest defensive garb you have and get used to switching to it to take blows and you should be fine even if slightly underlevelled.

edit: I can't read; that was for final dungeon.

For ultimate lair, did you mean the Ultimate Lair boss? Or all the Omegas in general?

Top Bottom