• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Balphon

If this game had the potential to attract a speedrunning community, the restrictive timing would have serious potential to be extraordinarily interesting.

But yeah, it can be a bit awkward. Makes for interesting planning sometimes.

It wouldn't be all that difficult to have all the main quests finished by the end of Day 2 with a little bit of planning. I had them all done on Day 3 in my New Game+ Hard run. The time consuming sidequests all involve either going into the Warren or coming back to NPCs on consecutive days.

Anyone have any tips for Aeronite? I'm using the strategy described here under the section "Preparations for Aeronite". I can't even stagger him a single time. No matter what I do, I can only get off like 3 -ra spells before my combo finishes and then I have like a 2 second wait time before I can do anything else, during which his stagger gauge completely resets. I've made like 20 attempts so far, and have made no progress whatsoever :(

I was having problems following his strategy to the tee, my first adjustment was swapping the Gagnrad the guide recommends with a Flesh Render(or shard blade if you haven't farmed the reavers), I'm not sure if the -90% stagger affected spells... but i wasn't actually able to stagger him until i swapped it. My next adjustment was swapping black mage with dragoon... the stats on black mage don't really benefit staggering the boss at all, and +stagger% on dragoon means your -ra spells stagger faster. Other than that, the strategy recommended of swapping to magic immunity worked pretty well (I beat it on normal, while the guide is meant for easy, so i had Morganon instead of Demon Knife, but its really the just a minor strength difference)

genbatzu

I'm so loving this game!

played almost the whole weekend, end exploited the shit out of Chronostasis...

4/5 main mission finished till day 4
(noel on day 2, snow, sazh & caius on day 4, all between 03:00 and 06:00

all side missions finished in
wildlands, luxerion and all done (except for 2) in yusnaan
only 5 side missions left in
dead dunes

I also killed the
Reaver Ω
on Day 3
and got his pink Sword. +900/+900 damage helps a lot. I also got 2 normal Reaver Weapons which I use for my other two outfits

only problem I have right now,
I can't find the Niblett Ω I killed ~15 in the sidequest in yusnaan where you have to kill 30. Then the coins dropped near quest NPC, which indicates, that there are no more nibletts, but now I can't seem to find the Niblett Ω. I thought the Ω's spawn "in front of you" ._.

this game really gets too much hate, as of now I think it's going to be the best out of the Lightning Triology

Carbonox

Ultimate Lair final boss, wat. Can't even make a dent.

Don't expect to until you stagger it 3 to 4 times. From then on it's a breeze providing you have some ethers and phoenix downs. The challenge is surviving until that last stagger.

love this garb
BhNR434CcAAjk6Q.jpg

finally meet the dragon
BhNwmlwCcAA5EG3.jpg

It's hot ain't it? My favourite garb in the game.

Recall

Just got the game.

9.6gb is the size of the game according to PSN. Then 4.7gb for the additional Japanese voice pack.

Why isn't the Japanese voice pack already included on the Disc? Or is it?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ahhh now outside the final boss. The cinematic leading up to it was cheesy, but I enjoyed it immensely. Going to save the rest after a nice rest.

What's the easiest place to farm for the 500 kills trophy in a NG+? Need something with fast respawning enemies that are 1-shottable (or close to)

Adaren

My friend and I just stayed up an extra hour to colorize the garbs I plan to use tomorrow.

Now I understand how I have 51 hours played at the end of Day 6.

Lain

Just got the game.

9.6gb is the size of the game according to PSN. Then 4.7gb for the additional Japanese voice pack.

Why isn't the Japanese voice pack already included on the Disc? Or is it?

Because then they couldn't charge people for the JP audio after the first few days. And no, the JP audio isn't on the disc.

Carbonox

aeronite

OFahS.gif

TOOOOOOOOOOOO easy

Oh well, that's the Platinum obtained. My time with this game has come to an end. Been a pleasure, y'all.

nOoblet16

I've got to say I don't understand how some of there views mentioned that the side quests are boring fetch quests when all of them have stories attached to it and very rarely does it feels like a fetch quest. The ones that do are the kind that you'll finish without even bothering to look after them ie. you'll collect them on your playthrough anyway and don't have to go out of your way to search for them. The reviews for this game are confusing and I guess it's because it's such a varied and diverse game that some bits just don't click with some people.

Also the two cities, especially Luxerion, are the most visually underwhelming locations in the game, the areas in the Wildlands and Dead Dunes are so much better looking.

Carbonox

How soon can you get that Garb? That's the one I saw prior to the game coming out and really loved how it looked.

You can get it in a quest in the Wildlands. More specifically... (spoilered but containing no story spoilers)...

you get it in Poltae, a little village in the Wildlands. The quest is called Grail of Valhalla if I remember correctly. Very simple and involves reading 2 panels in the Temple of the Goddess, then returning to the buddy who gave you the mission and finishing off his next task in the village itself.

You can get it in a quest in the Wildlands. More specifically... (spoilered but containing no story spoilers)...

you get it in Poltae, a little village in the Wildlands. The quest is called Grail of Valhalla if I remember correctly. Very simple and involves reading 2 panels in the Temple of the Goddess, then returning to the buddy who gave you the mission and finishing off his next task in the village itself.

Cool, thanks for the info. Gonna try to do that quest fairly early on. :)

Carbonox

Niiice, dude! :D
First run? What strategy?

BTW: Does anybody know what garb this one is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcFfF4olAI

Left it for my New Game + run so I was pretty beefed up. Each Artemis's Arrow was dealing 300k+ to him when he was staggered.

The strategy is actually very simple. Just make sure you have Phoenix Downs and Ethers. Nothing else is needed but them.

To make staggering easier, equip the Chaos Bringer on something like a magic-focused garb and just spam magic, whilst using a tank garb to block/reduce damage from Aeronite's attacks.

Then it's a case of:

1. Spam magic until first stagger
2. Spam magic until second stagger
3. Spam magic until third stagger
4. Spam magic until fourth stagger
5. One the 4th stagger is applied, activate Overclock and spam Artemis's Arrow with the Soldier of Peace garb

Use Ether to replenish EP and keep activating it when it runs out so you can keep spamming the attack.

Block when attacks are coming from him, otherwise that's it. Very easy. No need to replenish health as if you die you can just use Phoenix Downs.

I found Ereshkigal more challenging because you can't use Artemis's Arrow on him and he used loads of status-inflicting shite.

Koozek

Left it for my New Game + run so I was pretty beefed up. Each Artemis's Arrow was dealing 300k+ to him when he was staggered.

The strategy is actually very simple. Just make sure you have Phoenix Downs and Ethers. Nothing else is needed but them.

To make staggering easier, equip the Chaos Bringer on something like a magic-focused garb and just spam magic, whilst using a tank garb to block/reduce damage from Aeronite's attacks.

Then it's a case of:

5. One the 4th stagger is applied, activate Overclock and spam Artemis's Arrow with the Soldier of Peace garb

Use Ether to replenish EP and keep activating it when it runs out so you can keep spamming the attack.

Block when attacks are coming from him, otherwise that's it. Very easy. No need to replenish health as if you die you can just use Phoenix Downs.

I found Ereshkigal more challenging because you can't use Artemis's Arrow on him and he used loads of status-inflicting shite.

Mhmmm, okay! Thanks, I'll try it eventually tonight. First run, though. Might not be as easy, but we'll see :p

frequency

I was so worried about running out of time... So I really abused Chronostasis. I was finishing Main Quests within (game time) hours. So now I'm at night on Day 5 and I've completed all the Main Quests.

I guess I'll spend the next however many days doing Side Quests and Canvas of Prayers at a relaxed pace.

I'm really enjoying this game a lot but I knew I would so I'm not surprised.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

Then it's a case of:

That's exactly what I did on my first run. I staggered him easily, but then my Artemis Arrows were only hitting for 50k, 80k with Brave and deprotect. I have a few thousand extra points in strength now though so I'm sure he'll go down easily this time.

I've been trying to avoid this thread, so I have not read very much of it. I've got a quick question on battle rankings.

I've gathered that the star rankings from XIII and XIII-2 are gone except for bosses in LR. Does that mean for normal enemies, the item and EP gained will always be the same regardless of how long I take to beat them? Does it work the same for bosses? If I 5 star a boss, do I get rarer items than if I 1 star the same boss?

zeopower6

I've been trying to avoid this thread, so I have not read very much of it. I've got a quick question on battle rankings.

I've gathered that the star rankings from XIII and XIII-2 are gone except for bosses in LR. Does that mean for normal enemies, the item and EP gained will always be the same regardless of how long I take to beat them? Does it work the same for bosses? If I 5 star a boss, do I get rarer items than if I 1 star the same boss?

I believe all of that is affected by your difficulty. Item drops seem to be entirely random other than outside of Chaos infusions. Certain items are not available if you are not playing in Hard Mode. EP amount changes depending on the difficulty as well.

Don't expect to until you stagger it 3 to 4 times. From then on it's a breeze providing you have some ethers and phoenix downs. The challenge is surviving until that last stagger.

I tried him around 8 times last night. On my last attempt I managed to get him down to around a fourth of his health and then lost. I then proceeded to cry myself to sleep.

SilverArrow20XX

I tried him around 8 times last night. On my last attempt I managed to get him down to around a fourth of his health and then lost. I then proceeded to cry myself to sleep.

Did you poison him? You need to poison the fuck out of him after the 3rd stagger. Makes the battle a breeze.

HawthorneKitty

Yeah, the only thing that tripped me about that boss was when it recovered from staggering, guarding from like all my attacks, but it was easy enough to cripple it again and guard to oblivion.

I asked earlier, but no responses. I am about to start NG+ and I need to grind for the 500 kills trophy. Somehow on my normal playthorugh I didn't even get the 300 kills trophy, even though I manually extincted both Gremlins and Niblets.

Regardless, what is the best place to do this? Doing it at the Death Game would require unlocking the Death Game and waiting until I get that far along, so I feel like there should be something faster. But I'm not sure what area has the highest respawn rate and number of enemies.

Also, Is it 500 enemies or 500 battles?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've got to say I don't understand how some of there views mentioned that the side quests are boring fetch quests when all of them have stories attached to it and very rarely does it feels like a fetch quest.

I agree here. Actually this game got one of the most "entertaining" fetchquests I've seen around in RPGs. Good thing is that other than offering, all of them, a kinda of story (and with voice acting too) they also provide you with stats boost making them even more useful than before. I don't get the complains. They're still fetch quests, mind this, but at least they did put efforts in making them. Some of the stories are very complex and even touching sometimes.

Btw I'm starting to see "numbers" around the web pointing at good sales for the game. In italy is number 1 spot for the week. Let's hope for the best. Game deserves people's interest.

Mesharey

I asked earlier, but no responses. I am about to start NG+ and I need to grind for the 500 kills trophy. Somehow on my normal playthorugh I didn't even get the 300 kills trophy, even though I manually extincted both Gremlins and Niblets.

Regardless, what is the best place to do this? Doing it at the Death Game would require unlocking the Death Game and waiting until I get that far along, so I feel like there should be something faster. But I'm not sure what area has the highest respawn rate and number of enemies.

Also, Is it 500 enemies or 500 battles?
In wild lands from day 7 or 8+ you will find group of 8-7 enemies.
To extinct Niblets and Gremlin you needed to kill 120 each.

http://www.trueachievements.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-walkthrough.htm?page=10
So 240, yup that might be strange.

I'm not really sure if it's enemies or battles.

In wild lands from day 7 or 8+ you will find group of 8-7 enemies.
To extinct Niblets and Gremlin you needed to kill 120 each.

http://www.trueachievements.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-walkthrough.htm?page=10
So 240, yup that might be strange.

I'm not really sure if it's enemies or battles.

If that's the case then I think we can conclude almost necessarily that it's battles, and not enemies. Because I extincted both of them manually on my first playthrough, so clearly I must have fought at least 60 additional enemies. Hell, I fought more than 60 Anubyses alone trying to max out my Heavy Slash Lv. 3

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you exploit cryostasis? Is it obvious?

I keep wanting to get back to this game, but every time I play I end up wandering around looking for sidequests and whatnot, then realize 6 hours has passed so I reboot the game and load my previous save and try to do everything I found in an hour.

HawthorneKitty

How do you exploit cryostasis? Is it obvious?

I keep wanting to get back to this game, but every time I play I end up wandering around looking for sidequests and whatnot, then realize 6 hours has passed so I reboot the game and load my previous save and try to do everything I found in an hour.
It's easier to exploit in Wildlands and Dead Dunes because you are constantly accosted by monsters, allowing you to keep a constant EP number. Sounds like you should find a guide just to see where the quests are though.

SilverArrow20XX

If that's the case then I think we can conclude almost necessarily that it's battles, and not enemies. Because I extincted both of them manually on my first playthrough, so clearly I must have fought at least 60 additional enemies. Hell, I fought more than 60 Anubyses alone trying to max out my Heavy Slash Lv. 3

No, it's enemies. You're just overestimating how many you've killed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's easier to exploit in Wildlands and Dead Dunes because you are constantly accosted by monsters, allowing you to keep a constant EP number. Sounds like you should find a guide just to see where the quests are though.

I see, so you basically fill up your EP enough from battles and spam cryostasis? I seem to get barely any EP from battles, but I'm just on day 2... is there a trick to getting more?

HawthorneKitty

I see, so you basically fill up your EP enough from battles and spam cryostasis? I seem to get barely any EP from battles, but I'm just on day 2... is there a trick to getting more?
The best you could probably do is find the large monsters of the area and where they spawn in the case of wanting EP. Of course, you'd need access to them in the first place; Yuusnaan and Luxerion's are trapped behind the main quests, so I'd advise just picking up any sidequests you come across naturally when trying to complete the main quests and Cryo-ing when you can.

zeopower6

You would need to fight larger monsters if possible. Most of the larger ones are only in the Wildlands/Dead Dunes. The teeny ones like Niblets and Gremlins give like... .09 EP. Gorgonopsid for Luxerion and the Flanitors+Guards in Yusnaan give a good amount of EP each if you really need to recharge in those areas.

Nohar

So, I'm beginning my NG+ playthrough (Hard). Not sure if I'm going to finish it, but I'm actually happy to replay it. The gameplay is very fun, though sadly I would have enjoyed a little more variety when it comes to monsters. The thing that disappoints me the most is definitly the framerate in some aeras. If the framerate wasn't so bad (to the point that there is absolutly no way I'm fighting Sahagins while they're swimming into the sand again), the game would be far more enjoyable, because such a bad framerate really cripples the experience.

Also: what are Lightning's max stats? (Without the Transcendance/No Limit thingy).

Er, is it just me or is the Dreadnought Omega a lot harder than the final boss of the Lair?

Thing is a damn tank. I throw all the ice related shit I possibly can at it. I got lucky enough to get it to stagger once, but it didn't last long and it was back to square one.

Falk

that puzzling face
Most of the large mob Omegas are pretty tough, yes. Which makes it all the more of a quandary to attempt to do them Chaos Infused just because of the hilarious amount of Gil you can get.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I actually expected the worse but with few exceptions (probably just Luxerion), the framerate in this game is pretty solid on PS3. Wayyyyyy better than Final Fantasy XIII-2, Dead Dunes and Wildlands included.

Adaren

Tip: in Yusnaan and Luxerion, you can attack nameless guards in order to start a fight with them and earn some EP. It takes 3-4 hits usually to start a battle with them.

But yeah, fight every fight you see. Early on in Luxerion and Yusnaan, you probably won't be in constant Chronostasis unless you're going through an area with a lot of monsters (e.g. the areas right before the bosses).

No, it's enemies. You're just overestimating how many you've killed.

He just said it was 240 niblets and gremlins. So I must have had at least 240 since I extincted them. I also killed all but 4 of the last ones in the ultimate dungeon. So that's an additional 20 monsters. I also killed at least 30 Anubys, because when I completed the Death Game quest, Gremlins and Niblets were extinct, so Anubys was the only monster in the area. That's 290. Your'e telling me I didn't kill 10 other enemies in the entire game?

Top Bottom