• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

jorgeton

At the last boss. What a ride. Game is surprisingly long. Thought I'd have it done in 20 hrs, but I'm closing in on 50. Unlocked day 14 but don't feel like going through that dungeon yet, I have a couple of alt saves to pick up when I'm done w the last boss to wrap up side quests and the ultimate lair.

Overall I loved most of it. It was very addictive and it was fun to see how the story wraps up.

The XIII triology is def one of my more memorable gaming experiences. The three games stretched across 1000 years and literally tore down the fabric of time and space to tell its story.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The XIII triology is def one of my more memorable gaming experiences. The three games stretched across 1000 years and literally tore down the fabric of time and space to tell its story.

Just like Final Fantasy 1 lol.

Finally beat the game. Honestly, I really quite enjoyed it. The narrative had many issues but overall it was a seriously good time. I did not expect to enjoy it this much.

Now back to Bravely Default until X | X-2 HD comes out next month.

cafemomo

I actually expected the worse but with few exceptions (probably just Luxerion), the framerate in this game is pretty solid on PS3. Wayyyyyy better than Final Fantasy XIII-2, Dead Dunes and Wildlands included.

I hear xbox users got the shaft when it came to framerate.

and curious question for those who have it, does it come in 3 discs like XIII?

Now back to Bravely Default until X | X-2 HD comes out next month.

I still haven't opened my BD CE.

Don't want to open the box :S

Nohar

Only one disc for LR on XBOX360, I confirm.

I love
Odin's
weapon (that design ♥), but I wonder if this weapon is really viable/useful... It's a weird mixed bag: on the one hand you have a wooping +30 ATB speed which can be further improved in NG+ and physical normal attacks are inflicted twice, but on the other hand it comes with a -50% debuff in Strenght (not great when using other physical attacks such as the AoE one, Fauchage, which translates to Blitz in english I believe), sometimes the second part of normal attacks doesn't connect, and the Stagger impact is reduced by 90%, something which translates to "Don't even think of using Stagger moves with this weapon", and thus rendering any magic attack besides Ruin and Ruin² (Ruinga in english I believe) useless.

So, what should I do about this weapon? Is it complete crap, or is it useful in some specific grab set-up? It looks very nice when using the Holy Knight garb. Defensive Attack + Heavy Guard + Debuffs?

I just beat Ereshkigal (normal mode) but it took all of my ethers and my elixir... I wonder am a screwed now for facing
Bhunivelze
? Will I have a chance to get more or am I less likely to need them? I was only able to take down Ereshkigal by overclocking constantly. I still have a save file before entering the
Ultimate Lair

Adaren

I hear xbox users got the shaft when it came to framerate.

Haven't played the PS3 version so I can't make a comparison, but the frame rate is honestly okay. Moderate lag in some areas of the Wildlands and Luxerion, but Dead Dunes and Yusnaan are solid. Battles have some lag when a million crazy spell effects are going off, but they're extremely smooth under normal conditions.

The one exception is the Desert Sahagins in Dead Dunes. When they do their Rush attack and spray sand everywhere, the frame rate drops to the single digits. It's clearly a bug because the lag is hilariously terrible, and I'm pretty sure the PS3 doesn't have this problem (or else everyone would be talking about it).

In my opinion, this game might be the most beautiful of the XIII trilogy on XBox. It doesn't lag as badly as XIII-2, and it doesn't have the hair aliasing problems that plagued the first two games.

Balphon

Er, is it just me or is the Dreadnought Omega a lot harder than the final boss of the Lair?

Thing is a damn tank. I throw all the ice related shit I possibly can at it. I got lucky enough to get it to stagger once, but it didn't last long and it was back to square one.

It's like a regular Dreadnought, so you want to hit its arms to destroy them.

nOoblet16

I see, so you basically fill up your EP enough from battles and spam cryostasis? I seem to get barely any EP from battles, but I'm just on day 2... is there a trick to getting more?

In Wildlands most battles give you 0.40-0.50 EP, the big enemies like reaver drop 2 EP (easy to defeat if you got here to do main quest 3-3 and further). Also fight chaos enemies, even the easy ones drop around 1-1.5 EP.

What do I do when I'm fighting an Earth Eater solo, again? I'm doing the
trials just before the final boss
, and I forgot the quickest way to stagger him.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm on Day 11 with one day left. All main quests done except
Sazh and Dahj
and I have a handful of side quests I could do.

I'm still surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. I kinda like Lightning now (don't get any ideas, SE) but she actually has some personality now than in the previous two.

cafemomo

Are there any particular garbs that are more useful against the final boss? He is making me his bitch quite easily.

What I rolled with

Equilibrium + (ATK)
White Mage (MAG)
Guardian Corps (ATK/MAG)

Used white mage to heal, GC to stagger and E+ to finish BEENNOOOVELZOO off

squall211

How on God's green earth do you stagger the final boss's first form? I'd like to think I'm pretty well geared up but I absolutely can NOT stagger him. I try to use Deshell right off the bat, then hit him as fast as I can with Thundara, Element, and Aerora over and over, but the stagger bar never seems to get into the red.

cafemomo

How on God's green earth do you stagger the final boss's first form? I'd like to think I'm pretty well geared up but I absolutely can NOT stagger him. I try to use Deshell right off the bat, then hit him as fast as I can with Thundara, Element, and Aerora over and over, but the stagger bar never seems to get into the red.

Deprotect & Imperil will be your best friend.

Then spam Thundara and Aero

Holy shit, the final boss area and design is fucking amazing.

Yeah, I got destroyed, but made it to the final form on my first go. But I was pretty much on my final legs and had nothing left.

Trying to beat this today so I can go all in on Lords of Shadow 2 in the morning, but I'm pretty damn drained. I've been playing all day and have fought a lot of pretty tough battles.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ahhhhh the ending cinematic was totes mcgoats amazing!
I was elated to know that my efforts of praising the Goddess were not off the mark
Can't really decide if I want to go another round or play ToS.

zeopower6

Ahhhhh the ending cinematic was totes mcgoats amazing!
I was elated to know that my efforts of praising the Goddess were not off the mark
Can't really decide if I want to go another round or play ToS.

ikr iloveit

I watched the cinematic like 6 times in both Japanese and English in different garbs :x

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think I was cheap with him by OCing too much...

Post-credits:
Okay, someone tell me where the fuck Real-life Lightning was; I need to find her. I also better see some cosplay of Real-life Lightning.

rybrad

I just started this and I am having a hard time getting the timing down for the perfect attacks and am not sure I understand it completely. For spells it sounded like I need to hit it as soon as she starts the animation for casting, I seem to irregularly get this which makes me feel like I am misunderstanding the window. It is the same deal for physical attacks except I wait for the attack to actually connect.

I am not even sure how important the perfect attacks are but I hate not getting this stuff down at the beginning. If anyone has some tips I would greatly appreciate them!

Mesharey

Finished all missions and got the platinum trophy, well I expected Aeronite and Ereshkigal to be harder than that (last boss was so much harder) but it seems my character was strong.

I enjoyed doing the side missions and trophy missions like Aeronite and Ereshkigal but it was not as good as XIII-2.

Oh, and the soundtrack isn't good.

Overall enjoyable game.

cafemomo

That may be, but FF soundtracks these days are shit compared to how good they were when Uematsu was runnin' things.

eh, yes and no

Of course I will always be partial to Uematsu mainly due to nostalgia, but Hamauzu has done a fine job.

It's just when they went all experimental in XIII-2 they screwed it up.

squall211

Deprotect & Imperil will be your best friend.

Then spam Thundara and Aero

What drops Imperil? I've gone through the whole game and haven't gotten it to drop once.

Edit: I see above that the Sahagins apparently drop it. Is it only the "last one" that drops it? I've killed plenty of Sahagins and have never seen it drop.

Gaz_RB

I think I was cheap with him by OCing too much...

Post-credits:
Okay, someone tell me where the fuck Real-life Lightning was; I need to find her. I also better see some cosplay of Real-life Lightning.
Somewhere in France? Maybe Italy? Idk haha. Maybe if you can trace her beam of light and pinpoint where she landed.

Ricker

I just started this and I am having a hard time getting the timing down for the perfect attacks and am not sure I understand it completely. For spells it sounded like I need to hit it as soon as she starts the animation for casting, I seem to irregularly get this which makes me feel like I am misunderstanding the window. It is the same deal for physical attacks except I wait for the attack to actually connect.

I am not even sure how important the perfect attacks are but I hate not getting this stuff down at the beginning. If anyone has some tips I would greatly appreciate them!

Are you playong on normal...? do yourself a favor and start on easy,this game is ridiculously hard on normal...

Played a little today after work. I'm only on Main Quest 1-3 but it's a cool game so far. I definitely love the battle system and schema customization but the time limit makes me afraid of screwing myself over by taking too long to accomplish certain tasks.

MCD

Jesus Christ the enemies in the final dungeon and the trials are such pieces of shit.

I just want to end this game.

Mesharey

Played a little today after work. I'm only on Main Quest 1-3 but it's a cool game so far. I definitely love the battle system and schema customization but the time limit makes me afraid of screwing myself over by taking too long to accomplish certain tasks.
Use chronostasis as much as you can.

Regarding soundtrack, XIII > XIII-2 ---> LR, that's my opinion. :]
I can remember some tracks from XIII and XIII-2, but LR? give me few days and I won't be able to remember any track.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
eh, yes and no

Of course I will always be partial to Uematsu mainly due to nostalgia, but Hamauzu has done a fine job.

It's just when they went all experimental in XIII-2 they screwed it up.

I adore the XIII-2 soundtrack though. It's gotten the most listening of all three XIII games for me.

But I think all three XIII soundtracks are amazing, some of the best soundtracks for any media, and I have been playing this series for 20+ years.

Uematsu is great... but I do not think he has the only word on excellent FF music.

But I think all three XIII soundtracks are amazing, some of the best soundtracks for any media, and I have been playing this series for 20+ years.

Whoa, did you miss the soundtracks for Chrono Cross and Xenogears? Because those were pretty stellar.

The difficulty spike is ridiculous.

It definitely is something. I coasted through the whole game with pretty much the same schema setup, then bam! I mean, my stuff still works to a degree, but there's definite room for improvement.

Top Bottom