• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

You want debuffs and obviously ice/fire for the monkeys. Load up debuffs on the strongest defensive garb you have and get used to switching to it to take blows and you should be fine even if slightly underlevelled.

edit: I can't read; that was for final dungeon.

For ultimate lair, did you mean the Ultimate Lair boss? Or all the Omegas in general?

i've got to the boss. i struggled on the way up, i have 2 ethers and nothing else. lol.

I don´t know why, but I think square could release a DLC of Kingdom Hearts (Sora Oufit, Donald wand, Goofy Shield) And I would buy it day one.

HeelPower

I disagree here, I thought the story was for once presented in a very simple nice way, it helps that I like Dragon Quest stories with single conclusive episodes taking place in each region. Writing was also way better than XIII-2. I thought the second episode got the lowest quality of them all, and this in regards to every single element that makes a game better or worse than another one. I haven't seen the ending of LR yet though, but again the story in Nova Chrysalia was really nice and I'm satisfied by that, being also the biggest part of the story I don't have much complains left.

I think I'll end up rating the trilogy as this: FFXIII > LR: FFXIII >>>>>>>>>>>>> FFXIII-2.

apparently you hated XIII-2 yet you sing praise for LR's story ?

Most of it are poor extensions of XIII-2 and the execution is almost identical.At least XIII-2 picked up really well towards the end and had an original ending you could comprehend if you pay attention.

The characters are extremely flat and carbon copies of their 13 and 13-2 counter parts.Exact same arcs all over again but with worse delivery.

With the exception of lightning as a lead character , LR isn't any better than XIII-2 when it comes to writing and story.If anything its worse.

What difficulty should I start NG+ on? I beat it on normal on my first go but had some hard times. My next playthrough will be trophy-centric, so maybe easy just for smooth sailing?

Well, I guess I'm gonna start LR today finally. It's weird, but I almost dread playing this game... which makes me think I shouldn't have even bought it. I just dread the time limit mainly even if it is lenient. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to XIII-2 when it came out and couldn't wait to play it. But with LR, it's been a completely different experience for me...

Neolith

Well, I guess I'm gonna start LR today finally. It's weird, but I almost dread playing this game... which makes me think I shouldn't have even bought it. I just dread the time limit mainly even if it is lenient. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to XIII-2 when it came out and couldn't wait to play it. But with LR, it's been a completely different experience for me...

The time limit is really not a hinderance, you may feel overwhelmed day one but you can finish almost everything there is to do before day 7/8 hits

The time limit is really not a hinderance, you may feel overwhelmed day one but you can finish almost everything there is to do before day 7/8 hits

Hope so. I've heard that several times now which makes me feel a little bit better. It's a shame how the game starts off with you feeling overwhelmed and didn't ease you into it a bit better.

Bladenic

I'm on Day 5 just doing side quests and I'm starting to get really bored. With Tales of Symphonia coming today LR will probably get dropped for a while.

After beating FF13 a couple weeks ago and, in the end, enjoying it, I decided to rush through FF13-2 so I could start Lightning Returns.

Last night I got to the end of 13-2 in barely 19 hours, and finally paid the price for my rushing. I couldn't beat the last boss. Put it on easy and even then, the last boss fight stretched on for 20 minutes and he was only half dead. I gave up, angry. Feels like my only option is to grind for a while and I'm just not in the mood. I'd rather do the grinding as I play the game, rather than at the end.

So I watched the ending of 13-2 just now on YouTube. I liked the ending, especially since I don't have to wait for the sequel like others. I definitely short-changed that game. I wish I'd taken my time. I did as little of the side stuff as possible. Maybe someday I'll start it over again. I ended up really like Noel as a character.

Anyway, probably will start Lightning Returns tonight. Despite a LOT of this universe lately, I'm ready to start yet another game. I've been listening to the LR soundtrack. I don't think it's as good as the 13 soundtrack but there are definitely some good tracks.

I plan to do the opposite of what I did with 13-2, and spend a lot of time on this game.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
He just said it was 240 niblets and gremlins. So I must have had at least 240 since I extincted them. I also killed all but 4 of the last ones in the ultimate dungeon. So that's an additional 20 monsters. I also killed at least 30 Anubys, because when I completed the Death Game quest, Gremlins and Niblets were extinct, so Anubys was the only monster in the area. That's 290. Your'e telling me I didn't kill 10 other enemies in the entire game?

Hmmm. Now that I think about it. With all the monsters I extincted plus monsters like Anubys, I must have been somewhere around 1,900 or 2,000 kills. I got the 500 trophy pretty far into that. Maybe it is battles.

cafemomo

I don´t know why, but I think square could release a DLC of Kingdom Hearts (Sora Oufit, Donald wand, Goofy Shield) And I would buy it day one.

or vice versa
vsvAUu1.png

Adaren

If you warp to the Grave of the Collosi, there should (or used) to be a sand tornado nearby leading to a dead end. What you are looking for should be there.

Yeah, I've been looking around that area. I found the skeletons with the note that clearly relate to the quest, but there isn't a sandstorm anywhere around. I vaguely recall clearing one when I first went through the area, but it was so many weeks ago that I can't remember if I fought an enemy inside it.

Some garbs are ridiculous, and I find very offensive to give these to wear to Lightning (who in her right mind would never wear some, but it's never adressed just incredibly out-of-character this is). I'll be blunt: it's sick to sexualize a female character that way (heck, they even "enhanced" her breasts for this episode).

Not to dwell on the topic, but the continual reemergence of this claim prompted me to dig up this post.
NMc3JIu.png

Not sure if the breast comments were mistranslations or if the changes were quickly taken out once the team saw their reception. Either way, I've never seen any evidence for any of the supposed changes (e.g. enhancement, jiggle) in the final game or any of the pre-release media.

And I just realized that the impractical pockets on the Savior garb are the same as the ones on her XIII-1 outfit...can't believe I didn't realize that before.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it. With all the monsters I extincted plus monsters like Anubys, I must have been somewhere around 1,900 or 2,000 kills. I got the 500 trophy pretty far into that. Maybe it is battles.

After getting the 300 one last night, I counted every single one. I messed up and lost count a few times, but I was never off by more than about 5. I was regularly fighting 3 enemies at a time, but the trophy for 500 still popped after my encounter count was 197.

Thinking about the story, one of the many problems I have is about just how direct it is. It's to the point where it's honestly a bit insulting.

So Lightning is going to confront Snow, but can't get through the door. What to do, what to do. Lightning then has an idea: Use the necklace that Snow gave Serah all those years ago to open the door. All along that necklace has been a symbol of Snow's love for Serah, so Lightning surmises that if Snow is truly "salvageable", the pendant will open the door where nothing else will. This is easy symbolism to understand and only needs to be acknowledged with a few words. "So, you still do love her" and a smirk from Snow would have been sufficient if they honestly felt the need to explain it. Any one who paid the slightest bit of attention during the past two games would have been able to figure it out. But what does the game do anyway? Have Lightning monologue to herself about what it all means, and then they have Snow comment on it for a bit. Every last detail is explained. So what could have been a clever little bit of symbolism now comes across as "hey, dumb shit. This is what this obvious symbolism means".

Same thing with the little girl who lost her doll in Luxerion. Rather than letting us infer the very obvious reason why Lightning would connect with the little girl, we get yet another monologue from Lightning "she hopes to see her mother, despite all the odds, just as I hope to see Serah".

Lightning's XIII arc is redone, only now at the very end, it is spelled out as much as possible. "Lumina is Claire Farron. She represents the weakness (not sure if I agree with this sentiment that emotions = weakness, but whatever) in Lightning. She is what Lightning has been trying to suppress all this time. If she can't accept it, she will never be whole again". Except rather than letting the player come to some conclusions, it's spelled out so much that, again, it's like the writers are saying "Didn't get it the first time in XIII? Fine, let us spell it out for you".

The game is full of this kind of stuff and it says a lot about what the writers thought of the audience. Rather than trust their audience to get the most obvious connections, they have Lightning or someone monologue extensively about it.

Thinking about the story, one of the many problems I have is about just how direct it is. It's to the point where it's honestly a bit insulting.

I felt the same thing especially during the side quests. Every single quest that is multiple stages, each time you pick up an object Hope chimes in and is like "Lightning, you found a hat. Remember how the guy said you needed to find 5 hats? I bet that hat you just found is the one he's looking for. Since he said to find 5, and you found 1, you need just 4 more hats."

It's like SHUT THE FUCK UP HOPE. I FUCKING GOT IT, ALRIGHT?

I've had the game since launch and I'm still not very far into it, I'm at
just got the white chocobo and am looking for more food.
The more I do play it though the more I enjoy it, it just really needs a quest tracker, I mean my god when I go into my quest log and click a quest to see what items I need\have I can't even press a key to go to the next quest, I have to back out and then go down the menu for each and everyone one wth.

I think I'll just start saving my quest trophies for my NG+. I'm playing on normal and so far its been really easy, though I hear the boss I'm going to fight soon is really hard. >.>

In the end I just wish that Hope would STFU I don't even listen to what he says anymore. =\

Kokonoe

Banned
I finally beat this game and wow is the combat still as lame as the first one. I went into the game thinking it had this completely revamped combat system but it's still awful. Square-Enix just can't seem to make a decent combat system these days. I mean Final Fantasy XIV they ripped of WoW's combat system? what a joke.

Also the dropped frames in the overworld in this game got annoying. Stop rushing crap games out, SE.

I felt the same thing especially during the side quests. Every single quest that is multiple stages, each time you pick up an object Hope chimes in and is like "Lightning, you found a hat. Remember how the guy said you needed to find 5 hats? I bet that hat you just found is the one he's looking for. Since he said to find 5, and you found 1, you need just 4 more hats."

It's like SHUT THE FUCK UP HOPE. I FUCKING GOT IT, ALRIGHT?

NPC: "This is actually where they meet."

Hope: "That's important information, Light!"

Me: "No Shit"

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
. Why can't you just enjoy the game without having to put down other people's reviews?.

Because I don't agree with their reviews?

That said the script of LR: FFXIII must be one of the biggest in the franchise not including for obvious reasons MMORPGs. Doesn't tell anything about the quality of it, but it's impressive how many lines (all voiced) are in here. From NPCs to quest details, datalogs, especially Hope's interactions. It's HUGE, sometimes is even easy getting lost in it. So much stuff going on.

That said the script of LR: FFXIII must be one of the biggest in the franchise not including for obvious reasons MMORPGs. Doesn't tell anything about the quality of it, but it's impressive how many lines (all voiced) are in here. From NPCs to quest details, datalogs, especially Hope's interactions. It's HUGE.

You aren't just disagreeing with them, you are flat out calling them liars, impugn their integrity, and categorically dismiss any opinion that doesn't meet a certain criteria.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I finally beat this game and wow is the combat still as lame as the first one. I went into the game thinking it had this completely revamped combat system but it's still awful. Square-Enix just can't seem to make a decent combat system these days. I mean Final Fantasy XIV they ripped of WoW's combat system? what a joke.

Also the dropped frames in the overworld in this game got annoying. Stop rushing crap games out, SE.
Sakurai disagrees; you should feel bad.
To each his own, of course.

qq more

i dont think everyone has to like something just because some other developer does though. kind of a weird mindset tbh

of course HawthorneKitty is likely joking but it's hard to tell on the internet these days though

Adaren

i dont think everyone has to like something just because some other developer does though

HawthorneKitty's post was slightly in jest, though it is worth mentioning that there's a lot more people than just one developer who love the battle system. Doesn't mean everyone has to, obviously, but the reception to it is very positive.

qq more

HawthorneKitty's post was slightly in jest, though it is worth mentioning that there's a lot more people than just one developer who love the battle system. Doesn't mean everyone has to, obviously, but the reception to it is very positive.

oh yeah dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with people liking it either!

Perfo

Perfo, you know WHAT you've exactly said. Don't try to fucking spin this. You said they're opinions are fake and worthless just because they didn't score to your liking.

I said that most of the reviews that gave out those scores are to be dismessed as fakes. I totally said that. But I also said I respect Edge's 6. And it's a 6. Problem is that a 6 from Edge is something you can relate to. A 6 or 5 or 4 from "certain" generalist magazines are... in this case and similar cases, unprofessional. I also strongly think that for real most of them didn't go beyond the first couple of hours in Luxerion. Or at least it appears as that by readying alot of them.

This game is a 7/8 game that can go 'till 6 if a respected publication like Edge is the one giving it. But everyone else... I laugh.

----

guys, how long is the 13th day?

qq more

I said that most of the reviews that gave out those scores are to be dismessed as fakes. I totally said that. But I also said I respect Edge's 6. And it's a 6. Problem is that a 6 from Edge is something you can relate to. A 6 or 5 or 4 from "certain" generalist magazines are... in this case and similar cases, unprofessional. I also strongly think that for real most of them didn't go beyond the first couple of hours in Luxerion. Or at least it appears as that by readying alot of them.

This game is a 7/8 game that can go 'till 6 if a respected publication like Edge is the one giving it. But everyone else... I laugh.
Isn't this still the same thing though? You're dismissing anyone's opinions for not liking the game, which is what we're criticizing you about in the first place.

Perfo

Isn't this still the same thing though? You're dismissing anyone's opinions for not liking the game, which is what we're criticizing you about in the first place.

I'm dismissing reviews written without playing the game or based on their opinion of what they think their readers expect or previous experiences with XIII, XIII-2 and the series in general.

qq more

I'm dismissing reviews written without playing the game or judged based on their opinion of their readers and their previous experience with XIII, XIII-2 and the series in general.

How do you decide whether they've played it or not, though?

See, now you're saying they haven't played the game just because they gave it a score lower than 7. Seriously?

Ricker

What difficulty should I start NG+ on? I beat it on normal on my first go but had some hard times. My next playthrough will be trophy-centric, so maybe easy just for smooth sailing?

Yeah,thats what I am doing...I didnt finish the game though,it told me fuck you after 10 days lol...not sure I will go through it again but I want to beat the crap out of Snow at least so I may go that far lol...

Adaren

That's good, thanks!

So since I had so many new garbs to switch to, I stopped using The Savior already - it didn't seem that great. I'm using Siegfried, Cloud, and Yuna currently. Those decent to start the game with?

They definitely aren't bad garbs. Arguably, Cloud and Yuna are slightly OP at the beginning of the game (Because of Buster Sword's Slayer property and Yuna's Elementa). If you like playing with them, though, you should go for it!

Perfo

How do you decide whether they've played it or not, though?

Because if you read the reviews and played the game, you then realize it.

Also because I'm sure no one got the time to sit and play 60 hrs of a jRPG nowdays. So if you're not an honest writer, like Edge's reviewers are, you're gonna screw for sure. And they did screw big this time, alot of them. For the sake of clicks or of their ego. Luckily a great part of players, that have more time with them and are for the most more honest people (for obvious reasons), are widely liking LR:FFXIII. It's a typical game downvoted by "critics" (lol) and appreciated by the community. I anticipated this in the past: it's like NiER and Demon Souls, nothing less, nothing more.

They definitely aren't bad garbs. Arguably, Cloud and Yuna are slightly OP at the beginning of the game (Because of Buster Sword's Slayer property and Yuna's Elementa). If you like playing with them, though, you should go for it!

haha yeah, I noticed Yuna's Elementa was quite powerful, but cool. :)

So when can I get Mediguard? I'd like to get it ASAP as it looks useful to restore HP without wasting gil. I'm still on the first Day and waiting until 6am basically for the numbers to appear. It said I could leave, but I'm just exploring Luxerion for the time being. Not sure if I can leave to get Mediguard now or not.

qq more

That is your argument? Really? You're telling me literally nothing with this.

Also because I'm sure no one got the time to sit and play 60 hrs of a jRPG nowdays.
That doesn't seriously make any sense. Going by this logic then no one should review the game just because!

So if you're not an honest writer, like Edge's reviewers are, you're gonna screw for sure. And they did screw big this time, alot of them. For the sake of clicks or of their ego.
You're still repeating yourself and not telling me actually anything. You're saying the same thing you've said a few posts ago.

Okay, let's try this. What do you think of normal players who has played through the entire game and didn't like it and would score it much lower than a 7?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

That said the script of LR: FFXIII must be one of the biggest in the franchise not including for obvious reasons MMORPGs. Doesn't tell anything about the quality of it, but it's impressive how many lines (all voiced) are in here. From NPCs to quest details, datalogs, especially Hope's interactions. It's HUGE, sometimes is even easy getting lost in it. So much stuff going on.

Who cares how big the script is when the majority of it is garbage?

Also because I'm sure no one got the time to sit and play 60 hrs of a jRPG nowdays. So if you're not an honest writer, like Edge's reviewers are, you're gonna screw for sure. And they did screw big this time, alot of them. For the sake of clicks or of their ego. Luckily a great part of players, that have more time with them and are for the most more honest people (for obvious reasons), are widely liking LR:FFXIII. It's a typical game downvoted by "critics" (lol) and appreciated by the community. I anticipated this in the past: it's like NiER and Demon Souls, nothing less, nothing more.

That is some terrible logic. So you're saying my review is invalid even though I played the entire game?

Top Bottom