• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

I only used Deprotect on the first three forms. And it was the only time I used a status debuff in the entire game lol.

I know the feeling. There are what, like eighty costumes in the game? And I used maybe six or seven of them in the whole 50 hours. XD

MCD

Yeah, most are redundant or plain weak. Some others were cool looking or hot but looks ain't gonna do me shit in battles. If only we could pick a separate outfit for running in the world/cutscenes...

Yeah, most are redundant or plain weak. Some others were cool looking or hot but looks ain't gonna do me shit in battles. If only we could pick a separate outfit for running in the world/cutscenes...

I think it was a really interesting idea, but holy shit would I rather have three actual party members any day of the week.

I think it was a really interesting idea, but holy shit would I rather have three actual party members any day of the week.

As much fun as I'm having with the battle system and customization, I definitely agree. I miss having party members not just for the gameplay, but for story purposes. Random chit chat between character while doing story stuff. Hope doesn't count... :p Well, he does, but none of the stuff he says is very interesting - he's just a "how to" guide basically.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yes, I love party members, but all of the cast have their own objectives they feel they need to complete. A constant party just doesn't fit into this particular game.

Adaren

Has anyone else here had a problem completing the "voices from the grave" quest? I've spoken to the sentry to get the quest (I must have, because it shows up on my list of side-quests). I've spoken to the three residents that you need to speak to, but when midnight hits none of the ghosts show up. Do you have to complete the quest the same day you get it? If so, that really blows, because I got the quest on Day 2, but now I'm on Day 12 and want to complete it.

I've been having trouble finding the ghosts as well. I'm pretty sure I've talked to all of the living human NPCs, but I haven't had the ghosts show up for me. I'm going to look for them again one more time tonight, but if they aren't there I'll just try it again on NG+. It's one of the last quests I'm hoping to finish on this playthrough.

I know the feeling. There are what, like eighty costumes in the game? And I used maybe six or seven of them in the whole 50 hours. XD

I change all three garbs every day, because Lightning is just that fashion conscious.

HawthorneKitty

I used 3 garbs all day errday throughout the whole game. (Equilibrium/Aeris/Cloud)
I changed for the Day 13 bosses though.

All the quest talk makes me glad to have the guide with me though; they did a great job in pinpointing all points of interest related to each quest.

MilkBeard

I'm really close to beating the game. I stopped while doing the extra dungeon, because the Final Fantasy XIV beta opened up. But it's going down for maintenance tonight so I'm probably going to try and finish the game.

I've been meaning to get back and test my skills in the combat again...I hear the final boss is tough (normal mode).

Adaren

All the quest talk makes me glad to have the guide with me though; they did a great job in pinpointing all points of interest related to each quest.

Speaking of which, how is the Piggyback guide? Even though I'm almost at the end of the game and found most of the quests, I'm considering picking it up just as a reference.

MilkBeard

As much fun as I'm having with the battle system and customization, I definitely agree. I miss having party members not just for the gameplay, but for story purposes. Random chit chat between character while doing story stuff. Hope doesn't count... :p Well, he does, but none of the stuff he says is very interesting - he's just a "how to" guide basically.

That stuff is definitely nice...however, with the way the XIII series is set up, it's like it really doesn't matter if there are party members because the way they are managed.

I really like the action battle system implemented in this game, but it would be cool to get the benefit of having party members on top of it. It feels nice when the game gives you an NPC party member even if don't have control over it.

Perhaps a different implementation of the garb system would be to have each character equip a particular outfit that gives them a unique set of abilities that only they can have...but then it might be less interesting. But it would be a cool concept, as in, you could control all of them individually, but the catch would be you have to switch between them like you switch between different outfits in LR. I think that might be a cool way to manage multiple party members with an action-rpg styled battle system.

Either way, I like the core concept of this battle system with the way skills have to be divided among the different outfits, and the timed attack and defense.

HawthorneKitty

Speaking of which, how is the Piggyback guide? Even though I'm almost at the end of the game and found most of the quests, I'm considering picking it up just as a reference.
I think it's great; my favorite parts would definitely be the extra art. There is a ton of data/charts for those that want to min-max everything in terms of skills and whatnot. There's also a nice foldout map of the regions.

I collected the past 2 CE guides so there was no doubt I was going to get it though.
Not sure what the non-CE guide excludes.

Well I did it, I beat
Bhunivelze
. I guess I was overleveled, I got him on my first try (normal mode). No stars, but pretty easy really, the 4th form threw me for a bit of a loop, getting him to stagger, but once I did that was it. Didn't even need my last X-Potion. Ereshkigal was way harder, and the reason I didn't have any ethers/elixir left for the end. Lucky I didn't need them.
cHfKAuv.jpg

:D

Ending was cool... Although I didn't really like that the new world turned out to be
Earth

Now I just need to mop up the few remaining trophies for the plat.

I must say I've really enjoyed this trilogy. I think the first one is the best overall, especially in terms of story and graphics, but they're all really fun to play and have a lot to offer.

It's been really helpful. I don't think there's anything I wanted to know that isn't covered in the guide. If I had a complaint, it's that I need to use like, three separate bookmarks simply because of the way the book is split up. Main quests are one section, sidequests another, bestiary, canvas quests, etc. etc. I understand why they did it that way, there's just a lot of flipping back and forth required.

MogCakes

Just started the game tonight. I'm liking the combat. The Ark looks awesome. The story has gone completely bonkers though. Why is Lightning suddenly referring to Bhunivelze as 'god' and not just 'Bhunivelze'? You'd think she had a thing against gods after the whole Etro thing and the fal'cie.

Just started the game tonight. I'm liking the combat. The Ark looks awesome. The story has gone completely bonkers though. Why is Lightning suddenly referring to Bhunivelze as 'god' and not just 'Bhunivelze'? You'd think she had a thing against gods after the whole Etro thing and the fal'cie.

I don't get that either. Referring to a deity as "god" only makes sense in a monotheistic situation... In a world where multiple gods exist you kind of need to refer to them by name.

Bladenic

Probably because he is the one that made the things that made everything else.

I thought it was very weird at first, but then it clicked with me. It's been 500 years since Bhunivelze was the sole deity left, and with the establishment of The Order it makes perfect sense for the term "God" to be used. Although Lightning doing it is a bit forced still.

HeelPower

Thinking about the story, one of the many problems I have is about just how direct it is. It's to the point where it's honestly a bit insulting.

So Lightning is going to confront Snow, but can't get through the door. What to do, what to do. Lightning then has an idea: Use the necklace that Snow gave Serah all those years ago to open the door. All along that necklace has been a symbol of Snow's love for Serah, so Lightning surmises that if Snow is truly "salvageable", the pendant will open the door where nothing else will. This is easy symbolism to understand and only needs to be acknowledged with a few words. "So, you still do love her" and a smirk from Snow would have been sufficient if they honestly felt the need to explain it. Any one who paid the slightest bit of attention during the past two games would have been able to figure it out. But what does the game do anyway? Have Lightning monologue to herself about what it all means, and then they have Snow comment on it for a bit. Every last detail is explained. So what could have been a clever little bit of symbolism now comes across as "hey, dumb shit. This is what this obvious symbolism means".

Same thing with the little girl who lost her doll in Luxerion. Rather than letting us infer the very obvious reason why Lightning would connect with the little girl, we get yet another monologue from Lightning "she hopes to see her mother, despite all the odds, just as I hope to see Serah".

Lightning's XIII arc is redone, only now at the very end, it is spelled out as much as possible. "Lumina is Claire Farron. She represents the weakness (not sure if I agree with this sentiment that emotions = weakness, but whatever) in Lightning. She is what Lightning has been trying to suppress all this time. If she can't accept it, she will never be whole again". Except rather than letting the player come to some conclusions, it's spelled out so much that, again, it's like the writers are saying "Didn't get it the first time in XIII? Fine, let us spell it out for you".

The game is full of this kind of stuff and it says a lot about what the writers thought of the audience. Rather than trust their audience to get the most obvious connections, they have Lightning or someone monologue extensively about it.

Well yeah.The story shoves every bit of detail again and again down your throat.

This is particularly bad because anything related to the characters are just repeats of the past games.

Snow and lightning still obsessed with serah.

Noel and Caius obsessed with fucking Yeul.

Sazh's son is unconscious for 500 years.

Fang doesn't care that millions of people are dying and tries to convince vanille , who is stubborn, that its not their fault everyone is dying.Even though it clearly is.

We know all this.I mean we can infer it without playing the game.Yet the game treats you like a kid around this overly simplistic and repetitive arcs.

HawthorneKitty

Ahhh got to the end of Day 1 and found it still amazingly fun.
I love how you can complete Dead Dune's quest so quickly. I am opting to try and do everything as late as I can though.

timshundo

I gotta admit I'm still a bit confused as to what the point of quests were story-wise. I was under the impression that once Lighting would complete a quest and save someone's soul that they would die from the physical world while their soul would go into waiting for the rebirth, so I was surprised after completing my first quest that the NPC kinda gets jerked a little as their soul is extracted and they just go on like a giant sparkly orb didn't just erupt from their chest.

Also in the end,
It's stated that millions of souls are waiting to be rebirthed in the new world... but I only "saved" 50-60 people by doing their quest? Whats the difference between a saved/completed quest soul vs. anyone else who was just waiting for the end of the world?

Ahhh got to the end of Day 1 and found it still amazingly fun.
I love how you can complete Dead Dune's quest so quickly. I am opting to try and do everything as late as I can though.

Probably a good idea. I finished pretty much everything by day 7 or 8 thanks to my constantly abusing chronostasis and ended up with a ton of time to kill. So boring.

hat_hair

"Lumina is Claire Farron. She represents the weakness (not sure if I agree with this sentiment that emotions = weakness, but whatever) in Lightning. She is what Lightning has been trying to suppress all this time. If she can't accept it, she will never be whole again".

I would argue that the weakness here is not simply emotion, but specifically the fear of being alone. Hence the "Don't leave me alone" line that they both say. This is best brought up during the quest with the orphan pickpocket, where Lightning opens up about her past and how, after losing her parents at a young age, Serah is the only family she has left. This could be seen as a common theme for the series, as most characters are motivated by the loss of family or close loved ones. Lightning has lost her sister, Hope lost his mother, Snow lost his fiancee, Sazh lost his son, Vanille and Fang lost their entire tribe, Serah lost her sister, Noel, Caius and Yeul all kept losing each other. Many of the other sidequests also fed into this theme, such as the family that kept faking their deaths, the boy whose cat died, the cook and his estranged son, the drunkard whose wife left because she was aging, the guy with the journal with the murdered family, etc. It's a broad theme, but it keeps cropping up again and again.

timshundo

I would argue that the weakness here is not simply emotion, but specifically the fear of being alone. Hence the "Don't leave me alone" line that they both say. This is best brought up during the quest with the orphan pickpocket, where Lightning opens up about her past and how, after losing her parents at a young age, Serah is the only family she has left. This could be seen as a common theme for the series, as most characters are motivated by the loss of family or close loved ones. Lightning has lost her sister, Hope lost his mother, Snow lost his fiancee, Sazh lost his son, Vanille and Fang lost their entire tribe, Serah lost her sister, Noel, Caius and Yeul all kept losing each other. Many of the other sidequests also fed into this theme, such as the family that kept faking their deaths, the boy whose cat died, the cook and his estranged son, the drunkard whose wife left because she was aging, the guy with the journal with the murdered family, etc. It's a broad theme, but it keeps cropping up again and again.

Nicely put. I would also point out that
Lightning defines her off-placed emotions as "weak," not the narrative. Being insecure about vulnerabilities is something most of us deal with which made that final dialog between Serah and Lightning gut-wrenching for me. "DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE!!" We've been waiting 5 years to hear you say that, Light. :)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Out of curiosity, is the 13th day full of story progresses or is just like any other day before it with sidequests to solve and just a final event at the end of it? No spoilers of course :p

HawthorneKitty

bothering! I want more story!
While nova crysalia is full of cool stories (the 5 main scenarios), I must say the "Ark-stuff", the main story, is quite lacking after few days after the start of the game >_<
They've tied the loose ends and set it up for the finale of the game though; it'd be odd to start introducing convoluted plot points.

Perfo

Equilibrium must be one of my favorite FF outfits ever. I can't wait to play with Lightning again in Dissidia III wearing that outfit T.T it's just so made for stylish battles...

jrush64

Banned
So I've been playing the game and I gotta admit... I'm loving it!! I didn't expect to like it this much. The battle system is pretty good and it's damn fun.

I'd use Lightning a million times rather than Serah. If not because of Noel, I wouldn't have bothered to finish XIII-2 because I couldn't stand her. She was sooooo annoying.

So I had some time to kill during Day 2 while waiting for midnight for the phone booth, and I finally went to Yusnaan. Wow, that city is so much better than Luxerion. Like, it looks much better (graphically and art design-wise) and it has a better atmosphere. Did a few sidequests - decent ones, I suppose. Mainly the music-focused ones - I liked hearing
Serah's song - Miracles. I always did like that song.
It's a shame Luxerion is such a disappointment. I always thought it looked nice in the artwork, but I guess it didn't translate over into the game very well. :/

Perfo

So I had some time to kill during Day 2 while waiting for midnight for the phone booth, and I finally went to Yusnaan. Wow, that city is so much better than Luxerion. Like, it looks much better (graphically and art design-wise) and it has a better atmosphere. Did a few sidequests - decent ones, I suppose. Mainly the music-focused ones - I liked hearing
Serah's song - Miracles. I always did like that song.
It's a shame Luxerion is such a disappointment. I always thought it looked nice in the artwork, but I guess it didn't translate over into the game very well. :/

Luxerion is really bad, gives a negative impression of the game... even to me. I thought the 5s and 4s I've seen as scores given by few reviewers were even generous to a certain extent. Then I've seen Dead Dunes, Wild Lands and Yusnaan. It's basically a completely different game in there. Leave Luxerion as fast as you can people! it's that bad!

HeelPower

Luxerion is really bad, gives a negative impression of the game... even to me. I thought the 5s and 4s I've seen as scores given by few reviewers were even generous to a certain extent. Then I've seen Dead Dunes, Wild Lands and Yusnaan. It's basically a completely different game in there. Leave Luxerion as fast as you can people! it's that bad!

no its not.

Luxerion had such a brooding , dark atmosphere and it had the most interesting side quests in the game for me.

Also its size is really well balanced.Not too big , not too small and has various ways and short cuts to go about the place.

Now I hate the restriction on the warren which was a pain in the ass.But almost every area had a similar restrictions.

I didn't really like the layout of Luxerion. It is basically a giant circle and you can't go through the middle to quickly get to places on the opposite side. But really, I think my main gripe is I just find the city ugly and lacking a good color palette.

Shinta

Banned

All 4 areas were basically made by 4 separate mini-teams. That said, I really enjoyed Luxerion. It could be improved graphically, but it's still a fantastic city in my view. And damn, the music is so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4YGpr8t4E&t=1m55s

Itsuki

Got the game last week. I decided to ignore the reviews of the game and I don't regret buying the game.
Currently on Day 2. Before, I was playing on normal mode (I was on day 6) but I had to restart the game on easy mode because normal was too hard for me, I didn't bother doing subquests and I still couldn't finish some main story quests
I was going to fight Noel but I couldn't beat him and I couldn't defeat those monsters in Snow's castle.

HawthorneKitty

Got the game last week. I decided to ignore the reviews of the game and I don't regret buying the game.
Currently on Day 2. Before, I was playing on normal mode (I was on day 6) but I had to restart the game on easy mode because normal was too hard for me, I didn't bother doing subquests and I still couldn't finish some main story quests
I was going to fight Noel but I couldn't beat him and I couldn't defeat those monsters in Snow's castle.
Yeah, you should do side quests because, you know, they give you stats.

Just finished Day 2. Got a lot done really. Did a lot of sidequests in both Luxerion and Yusnaan, beat
Noel
, talked to
Vanille
, progressed Yusnaan's main missions a little.

Question about something regarding the
Noel mission. What was that at the end with Yeul? I mean, where exactly did she come from? Was her soul inside that Oracle Drive or something? Just seemed a bit out of nowhere with no explanation (kind of a running theme with the XIII series tho :p).

OK. I can't beat the final boss. I give up.

4 forms is just too much even for a JRPG. Fuck this.

Did you get the ultimate weapon and shield? it helps. ALOT.

also, i'm not strong enough to beat that optional boss.. through the game again it is.

and finally, who would want to live in luxerion? it's awful.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ok this is embarrassing, I can't beat Snow, he keeps spamming me with that mutli hit combo of his
And my ATB keeps running out fast which aint helping, any tips?
I am using deshell, Fira*3, and deprotect

Shinta

Banned
Just finished Day 2. Got a lot done really. Did a lot of sidequests in both Luxerion and Yusnaan, beat
Noel
, talked to
Vanille
, progressed Yusnaan's main missions a little.

Question about something regarding the
Noel mission. What was that at the end with Yeul? I mean, where exactly did she come from? Was her soul inside that Oracle Drive or something? Just seemed a bit out of nowhere with no explanation (kind of a running theme with the XIII series tho :p).

It did kind of feel out of nowhere, but the entire world is bathed in chaos energy so I gave it a pass :p guy waited 500 years to see his girl, so I was cool with it.

It did kind of feel out of nowhere, but the entire world is bathed in chaos energy so I gave it a pass :p guy waited 500 years to see his girl, so I was cool with it.

haha, yeah - I don't really mind that much. Was just curious if there was something I missed that explained it. :p I know that Noel always cared more about Yeul, but I do find it a bit odd he didn't mention a single thing about Serah... Her death seemed to hit him pretty hard during the ending of XIII-2. But yeah, I know it was 500 years later and he might not have "cared" that much anymore, but still... lol

Top Bottom