• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Koozek

5-Stared mothereffin' Ereshkigal!!! :D Normal, first run.
5h left on 13th day. I might try Aeronite, too, now, haha. Motivated again :p

Probably. I mean, if you've been doing a lot of quests you're most likely strong enough to fight them, regardless. It just depends on how much of a challenge you're looking for.

Ahh, gotcha. I want a decent challenge, but not too hard that I get frustrated on my first playthrough. I'm mostly just trying to plan the next few days. Might try to do the Yusnaan main quests tomorrow if there's enough time, then work on the Wildlands. The main quests in Yusnaan requires me to wait until night time though, so I guess I'll mess around in Luxerion doing sidequests and maybe do some Wildlands until night.

I just wanted to pop in and say that the final boss in Lightning Returns is one of the best final bosses I've got encounter in several YEARS. What a pleasure that was, it felt climatic as fuck and it made me feel like a badass.

Sub-par game, least favourite of mine in the trilogy but I still enjoyed it. Easy trophy mop-up left the Platinum will be achieved.

FFXIII-2 > FFXIII > LR:FFXIII

I just wanted to pop in and say that the final boss in Lightning Returns is one of the best final bosses I've got encounter in several YEARS. What a pleasure that was, it felt climatic as fuck and it made me feel like a badass.

I breezed through the final boss until the 4th form. What did you find most effective in the way of staggering him?

I breezed through the final boss until the 4th form. What did you find most effective in the way of staggering him?

I had left over EP so I burnt it to get it staggered. Once it happens it's basically over. I think it's more of an endurance thing than a fight, just keep at it. I was spamming spells with Black Mage +
Caius' Weapon, I think
- it took forever but once he was staggered it went really quick with debuffs and Artemis' Arrow.

Final boss took 11 minutes in total for an amazing ** rating ;/

Shinta

Banned
Man, I wonder what the requirements are for a five-star rating.

Time, EP use, damage taken all apply.

I took a frame from my favorite scene in the ending
cinematic
and made it my background :O

(Obvious spoiler alert)

76730-Jack-Black-smile-gif-Imgur-9MBe.gif

Wildlands doesn't; Yusnaan has 3 different forms.

They all change aside from the Wildlands boss. I would save 3-whatever until the end because of that.

Ah okay, thanks. Well, I'm definitely doing Yusnaan before Day 7, but was planning on doing Wildlands after that. Wonder if I should do Dead Dunes before Wildlands. I might beat all the main stories before Day 7 anyways (or be close). Not sure how long the other missions are or if they have a lot of waiting around like Luxerion's main missions did. The time aspect to the game annoys me. You can do like 2 of the main missions (like 1-1, 1-2, etc), then it says to wait until midnight or whatever to continue. I feel like it hurts the pacing of the story.

Shinta

Banned
So are Final Fantasy sequels/spinoffs' budgets so low they can only afford visual works CG in the opening and ending?

Hard to say really. It's not clear how much XV will even have, as they were reportedly moving away from CG scenes to some degree and doing more of it in game. Then you see Agni's Philosophy basically showing a future where the difference between in game and CG is basically gone.

They definitely still make trailers for marketing, and LR had about 20 minutes of CG, which is pretty solid.

So are Final Fantasy sequels/spinoffs' budgets so low they can only afford visual works CG in the opening and ending?

XIII-2 had THREE CG scenes! :p

To answer your question though, yes.

It's getting to the point where it doesn't really matter that much to me, though. Most of LR looks pretty meh in the graphics department, but the "real"/story cutscenes still look quite nice, imo. Especially the character models.

The CG at the end of this game was super corny. I liked how the narrative went, but it was vomit-inducing to actually watch it play out.

Shinta

Banned
How much CG did older FF games have? I think XIII has the most, by far, but I never counted.

20 minutes of CG is still pretty heavy. Do VII, VIII, IX, or X have that much? Some of the CG clips in IX were super short.

Well

FFXIII had 22
FFXIII-2 had 5
LR:FFXIII has 2

:|

XIII-2 had 5? I only remember the opening, the part
showing what happened to Lightning after XIII's ending late in the game
, and the ending. Or are you including the
oracle drive scenes which show parts of other CGs?

I really want to play this game to see how it all wraps up, since I beat and still own FF13 and FF13-2. But I don't feel like going through the hassle of moving my TV and cables around to reconnect my PS3. Ugh, first world problems lol. :(

So for the first part of the main quest in yusnaan
do I have to go to the industrial area at exactly 6 or can I go at any time before hand?
I've done pretty much all of the immediately available quests there, so if I have to wait I won't have anything to do unless I move on to the dead dunes or wild lands in the meantime.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How much CG did older FF games have? I think XIII has the most, by far, but I never counted.

20 minutes of CG is still pretty heavy. Do VII, VIII, IX, or X have that much? Some of the CG clips in IX were super short.

I'm gonna guess that FFVIII has the greatest number of FMV. Perhaps IX would rival it, simply based on the fact that they are both 4 discs (with video being the sole reason for all that space)

By the PS2 era, the real time animation could depict many of the scenes that would have once been video. FFX definitely had less FMV than the PS1 games. X-2 had almost none. XIII had a few but it wasn't as much as the PS1 era either.

Shinta

Banned
I'm gonna guess that FFVIII has the greatest number of FMV. Perhaps IX would rival it, simply based on the fact that they are both 4 discs (with video being the sole reason for all that space)

By the PS2 era, the real time animation could depict many of the scenes that would have once been video. FFX definitely had less FMV than the PS1 games. X-2 had almost none. XIII had a few but it wasn't as much as the PS1 era either.

Just skimming youtube, if it's accurate, IX has about 40 minutes of CG. There's a FFX cutscene video that's about an hour, but has a few non-CG ones in there, so it might be about the same as IX. Haven't checked VII or VIII yet, or XII.

timshundo

XIII-2 had 5? I only remember the opening, the part
showing what happened to Lightning after XIII's ending late in the game
, and the ending. Or are you including the
oracle drive scenes which show parts of other CGs?

For FFXIII-2 theres the opening, the
modified FFXIII ending where Lightning falls into the unseen realm and then gets transformed into the guardian of etro, the modified FFXIII ending where Serah can't find Lightning/cries, the scene where Noel first meets Lightning but is interrupted by Caius,
and then the ending.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just skimming youtube, if it's accurate, IX has about 40 minutes of CG. There's a FFX cutscene video that's about an hour, but has a few non-CG ones in there, so it might be about the same as IX. Haven't checked VII or VIII yet, or XII.

VII simply must have less FMV by nature of the fact that it fits on 3 discs.

I don't remember XII having much.

The only thing that makes me pause and reconsider that XIII was not that slim is there was that 10 minute FMV in that Eden race or whatever it was.

For FFXIII-2 theres the opening, the
modified FFXIII ending where Lightning falls into the unseen realm and then gets transformed into the guardian of etro, the modified FFXIII ending where Serah can't find Lightning/cries, the scene where Noel first meets Lightning but is interrupted by Caius,
and then the ending.

Ah yeah, I kind of remember those. It's been a while, lol. I just remembered it didn't have that many.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I want to believe the reduced amount of CG was because not everyone would be using equilibrium and would be too jarring.

Replicant

Is it just my controller or is running in this game extremely excruciating at times? Of course there'd be times when Lightning would run normally if you press the run button. But there are also times when she just doesn't run at all even though her stamina is perfectly fine. It's like she gets stuck in the tiles or something.

MilkBeard

Is it just my controller or is running in this game extremely excruciating at times? Of course there'd be times when Lightning would run normally if you press the run button. But there are also times when she just doesn't run at all even though her stamina is perfectly fine. It's like she gets stuck in the tiles or something.

Might be your controller, I haven't had that problem at all.

So for the first part of the main quest in yusnaan
do I have to go to the industrial area at exactly 6 or can I go at any time before hand?
I've done pretty much all of the immediately available quests there, so if I have to wait I won't have anything to do unless I move on to the dead dunes or wild lands in the meantime.

Assuming you haven't already found out, if you go there before 18:00 and talk to the NPC it will give you the option to skip ahead to that time instantly.

Shinta

Banned
Edit: CGI total time in hh:mm:ss.

FFXIII: 00:45:53
FFXIII-2: 00:22:38
LR:FFXIII: 00:17:28

Cool. I can't find the rest to complete my list.

FF III DS
FFIV DS/ CC
FF IV AY
FFV (PS1)
FFVII
FFXII

LR is low I guess. Could have used another 5 minutes. But it's roughly the same as X-2, but half of what they do for main entries.

XIII-2 is more than I thought, and XIII is less than I thought. Interesting.

You've just made me want to play the trilogy even more.

I think it's something crazy like 2 hours.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ah okay, thanks. Well, I'm definitely doing Yusnaan before Day 7, but was planning on doing Wildlands after that. Wonder if I should do Dead Dunes before Wildlands. I might beat all the main stories before Day 7 anyways (or be close). Not sure how long the other missions are or if they have a lot of waiting around like Luxerion's main missions did. The time aspect to the game annoys me. You can do like 2 of the main missions (like 1-1, 1-2, etc), then it says to wait until midnight or whatever to continue. I feel like it hurts the pacing of the story.

I got to the Dead Dunes boss on day 7 and personally had a hard time with it, so I would try to knock it out beforehand as the boost is pretty large but I guess with the timing of it I would've been better off waiting a few more days to level some skills via quests, but I wanted to knock the main quests out of the way ASAP.

Dead Dunes and Wildlands are both free of the arbitrary time if I remember right, so they can be knocked out all at once.

HTupolev

Is it normal to beat all of the main story quests in 1 day? I beat them all on day 2 along with most of the side quest/canvas stuff.
Normal? No.

You can use the 360 D-Pad for movement!?

Shinta

Banned
They're good games, definitely. It was just a bit surprising to me that there were so many cinematics. And I distinctly remember several of them being 45 minutes to an hour in length.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Role-Playing-General/CG-in-Xenosaga/td-p/10578492

Judging by this random forum conversation in 2003, 20 minutes in the first 5 hours of gameplay, with several short ones scattered throughout, and one long 45 minutes CS near the end. 45 minutes!

i want to ask about trophies.

i wasnt strong enough for the ultimate lair boss, so i just carried on and finished the game. im on NG+ now, i dont wanna bother doing all the quests again just to find out im not strong enough. what stats do i need at least?
wish you could level up by beating enemies :-/

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well I blew through the boss of the dead dunes mercilessly on my first try, the only boss I've actually gotten more than 1 point on. Equipping better shields really was the answer, I can actually mitigate damage now! Hallelujah.

So it's day 9, and "4 days remain." All main quest done, just gonna keep grindin out side quests till they let me actually beat the game. 14th day seems like a given, considering my progress. I've got like 50 of the quest board things done and maybe 38 normal sidequests, sure to have plenty more by the time the 13th day comes around. Will hopefully be nice and beefy for the final boss.

Balphon

i want to ask about trophies.

i wasnt strong enough for the ultimate lair boss, so i just carried on and finished the game. im on NG+ now, i dont wanna bother doing all the quests again just to find out im not strong enough. what stats do i need at least?
wish you could level up by beating enemies :-/

I probably had 3000ish strength on my damage schema for the bonus bosses and neither of them were all that bad once I figured out what was going on. It may behoove you to extinct as many enemies as possible to make progressing through the lair easier as well, though doing so is a fair bit of work.

I probably had 3000ish strength on my damage schema for the bonus bosses and neither of them were all that bad once I figured out what was going on. It may behoove you to extinct as many enemies as possible to make progressing through the lair easier as well, though doing so is a fair bit of work.

to get to that amount of strength, how many playthroughs did you do?
and also, doing these side quests is so annoying, so if possible i dont wanna do them on every paythrough.. they dont give alot of strength right?
unless there's a list of the best sidequests that give the most stats on NG+

i want the platinum, but it just feels so far away lol

Balphon

Is it more beneficial to raise an ability from lv 1?

Seems so, though it'd obviously be more time-consuming and require a little bit of luck to evolve its passive. I'm also not sure if you can get the better passives that the higher-level abilities come with through synthesis, though I'd guess you can.

to get to that amount of strength, how many playthroughs did you do?
and also, doing these side quests is so annoying, so if possible i dont wanna do them on every paythrough.. they dont give alot of strength right?
unless there's a list of the best sidequests that give the most stats on NG+

i want the platinum, but it just feels so far away lol

One, though I did pretty much everything there was to do before trying the bonus bosses.

Assuming you haven't already found out, if you go there before 18:00 and talk to the NPC it will give you the option to skip ahead to that time instantly.

Yeah I did, didn't want to skip any time (would have been like 9 hours) so I decided to head to the wild lands. Didn't get a whole lot done though lol. Just one part of the MC, one side quest and two canvas quests.

Seems so, though it'd obviously be more time-consuming and require a little bit of luck to evolve its passive. I'm also not sure if you can get the better passives that the higher-level abilities come with through synthesis, though I'd guess you can.

One, though I did pretty much everything there was to do before trying the bonus bosses.

okay, so i should be good on the 2nd playthrough? considering if i do about 47 quests to get the ultimate lair again, i should be stronger than even you were?
3000 seems like alot.
i'll try my best!

also, i have a question about that accessory trophy. can you get the same accessory a 3rd time (3rd NG) will it do it again?

Top Bottom