• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Szadek

Finished the game.At first the final boss was very hard,then ultimate weapon + artemis arrow happend.
First try and 5 stars with that set up.

I love the combat,skillsystem and the open areas,but the plot and the quests are awful.
There is so much trash draging the game down,like Hope,or the (redundant) time limit.

Balphon

okay, so i should be good on the 2nd playthrough? considering if i do about 47 quests to get the ultimate lair again, i should be stronger than even you were?
3000 seems like alot.
i'll try my best!

You'll also be able to upgrade weapons and shields, which should help quite a bit. You'll be fine.

also, i have a question about that accessory trophy. can you get the same accessory a 3rd time (3rd NG) will it do it again?

I know some accessories have a second upgrade, but I don't know if all of them do.

How many side quest do you need to be able to beat the game w/o having to play perfect?

I'm not feeling this game so much kind of just want to get to the end of it.

nOoblet16

Final Fantasy XIII - ~44?
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - ~22?
Lightning Returns: FFXIII - ~18?

Final Fantasy XII -

Final Fantasy X - 40 minutes
Final Fantasy X-2 - 18 minutes

Final Fantasy IX - 40 minutes

Final Fantasy VIII - 50 minutes

Final Fantasy VII -

Final Fantasy VI - 8 minutes

Still looking for the rest. This could take a while.

It might be worth noting that XIII had CG and pre rendered inengine cutscene with higher quality assets (ala Uncharted), these are the cutscenes where the hair isn't dithered and they run at 30FPS all the time, as well as the models have higher polygon. So in total XIII will use CGI, pre rendered in engine and real time cutscenes, which is why the game size was so large.

Meier

Started playing it last night.. we'll see how long I stick with it. I was hopeful it would be relatively short since it's more of an action game but I saw 50 hours mentioned in a review.

The third outfit (first you get after beating the tutorial if you will) is pretty risque..sheesh! I am not a huge fan of the limited recovery items and the like. Since I have moved on from my 360 for the most part now, I don't think I'll feel as much pressure to play this through to completion.

squall211

Started playing it last night.. we'll see how long I stick with it. I was hopeful it would be relatively short since it's more of an action game but I saw 50 hours mentioned in a review.

The third outfit (first you get after beating the tutorial if you will) is pretty risque..sheesh! I am not a huge fan of the limited recovery items and the like. Since I have moved on from my 360 for the most part now, I don't think I'll feel as much pressure to play this through to completion.

It's really not a 50 hour game. On your first playthrough you can expect to play anywhere from 35-40 hours unless you use a guide to try and do absolutely everything you can in one run.

So I found a NPC selling some kind of expensive garbs in Yusnaan. Are they worth buying now? It's Hidden Justice, Witching Hour, Danse Macabre, and Shadow Trooper. They are between 8000-15000 each, and I have 40k atm. NPC is called "Forge (Rare)".

Zafir

So I found a NPC selling some kind of expensive garbs in Yusnaan. Are they worth buying now? It's Hidden Justice, Witching Hour, Danse Macabre, and Shadow Trooper. They are between 8000-15000 each, and I have 40k atm.
I bought all 4 and got use out of them. Witching Hour and Hidden Justice have a nice magic stat boost. Hidden Justice was useful on
Snow
actually, due to it having fire(think thats the fire one?) and at least for me, I had very few fire abilities available to me at that point in the game.

I bought all 4 and got use out of them. Witching Hour and Hidden Justice have a nice magic stat boost. Hidden Justice was useful on
Snow
actually, due to it having fire(think thats the fire one?) and at least for me, I had very few fire abilities available to me at that point in the game.

Ah cool, I think I'll buy the two mage ones at least and hold off on the others for now. I don't want to get too low on gil.

Also, I just want to double check: it's safe to sell all the medals to the shops right? They are JUST used for gil? The bronze, silver, crystal ones in particular?

squall211

Ah cool, I think I'll buy the two mage ones at least and hold off on the others for now. I don't want to get too low on gil.

Also, I just want to double check: it's safe to sell all the medals to the shops right? They are JUST used for gil? The bronze, silver, crystal ones in particular?

Kill Cactaurs to earn a bunch of gil. I think the amount you get varies depending on what day you are on when you kill them, but I wiped them out around day 11 and was earning 10k per kill.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

is this the rare forge guy? You should have squandered your Gil in case you don't want to go looking for him again.

Tohsaka

I wish there was a way to disable Hope's constant commentary, he's by far the worst thing about this game. I'm on day 8 and finished with all of the main quests and like 60 of the side quests, I think. The game is better than most of the reviews give it credit for, IMO. The story is weak, but it wasn't that good in the previous two games, either, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm enjoying the non-linearity and huge environments a lot.

Balphon

So I found a NPC selling some kind of expensive garbs in Yusnaan. Are they worth buying now? It's Hidden Justice, Witching Hour, Danse Macabre, and Shadow Trooper. They are between 8000-15000 each, and I have 40k atm. NPC is called "Forge (Rare)".

I used Hidden Justice and Witching Hour for most of the game up through the end; they were quite useful.

I wish there was a way to disable Hope's constant commentary, he's by far the worst thing about this game. I'm on day 8 and finished with all of the main quests and like 60 of the side quests, I think. The game is better than most of the reviews give it credit for, IMO. The story is weak, but it wasn't that good in the previous two games, either, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm enjoying the non-linearity and huge environments a lot.

No, but I found that yelling "Shut the fuck up, Hope." at the screen every now and then made me feel better about it.

Adaren

The Wildlands boss is destroying me!!! When it enters
the Commando mode
my Hp goes to 0 in an instant!!

This is one of the situations where a Perfect Block helps immensely. Thankfully, it's also fairly easy to time:

Watch the sphere that Bahamut is charging up and listen to the charging noise. Right before the attack launches, the ball will shrink and the charging noise will stop. When that happens, wait for a very short period of time (like a third of a second) and then hit block. With the Renegade shield and Heavy Guard, I was able to mitigate all of the damage.

But yeah, he's also probably the best boss to tackle last, if you haven't done the others.

Kill Cactaurs to earn a bunch of gil. I think the amount you get varies depending on what day you are on when you kill them, but I wiped them out around day 11 and was earning 10k per kill.

Oh nice. I think I'll try those a bit later. I'm only on Day 3 right now.

Yep, only for Gil.

Good - they add up after a while. I wish I could notice them on the ground easier. Usually, I only see them when it's either night time or when the "Examine" pops up. D:

is this the rare forge guy? You should have squandered your Gil in case you don't want to go looking for him again.

Oh, I didn't know he was that hard to find. D: There were only 4 garbs and Lightning's sunglasses available to buy, though. I bought the two mage grabs - the other two looked less useful to me (but I could be mistaken on their usefulness).

My only complaint about Hope isn't that he talks too much really, but that when he is talking, the game's timer keeps going, so I don't want to stand around listening. And that often means if I talk to a NPC or go into a new area, he'll completely switch topics before finishing what he was saying previously. If nothing else, I wish there was a way to replay what he just said or the game had a collection of his most recent conversations so you could replay them if you wanted.

I used Hidden Justice and Witching Hour for most of the game up through the end; they were quite useful.

I'm not sure if I should replace Yuna's garb yet or not. Technically, those two garbs I just bought (that you talked about) have more magic power, but Yuna has the ever powerful Elementa (maxed) which does a tonnnnnnn of damage. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to switch or not.

I can't decide what garbs to use, and I keep getting more, lol. I've been using Siegfried, Cloud, and Yuna since the start of the game. I'm on Day 4 atm. I've gotten other ones which look cool, but not sure how good they are compared to other garbs. What does "Default ATB" mean exactly? Is that the starting ATB when a battle starts? I know what Max ATB and ATB Recovery mean, just not sure about the Default one.

How good is the Miqo'te grab? I just got it a bit ago. I noticed it has Mediguard+ (Max) which seems really useful. I have Mediguard lvl1 on Siegfried right now. Dust and Shadow Garb looks decent as well (stats and looks). How about Helter Skelter? I got that one from some Overworld-related thing. It has Attacklvl4. Hmm. So many choices! The XIII/XIII-2 outfits look awesome, but they have no special bonuses or anything, and I don't wanna gimp myself.

Thanks for any advice. :)

HawthorneKitty

I can't decide what garbs to use, and I keep getting more, lol. I've been using Siegfried, Cloud, and Yuna since the start of the game. I'm on Day 4 atm. I've gotten other ones which look cool, but not sure how good they are compared to other garbs. What does "Default ATB" mean exactly? Is that the starting ATB when a battle starts? I know what Max ATB and ATB Recovery mean, just not sure about the Default one.
Yes, Default ATB is the ATB amount of that schema when the battle starts. I wouldn't say the XIII/XIII-2 garbs are entirely useless, but they might as well be since you have such a wide variety to choose from now. I think they serve a purpose for people that didn't get any DLC. Another plus side about them is that they have no locked skills I guess.

Helter Skelter should be nice to use though since it's usually only available when you're playing on Hard.

Yes, Default ATB is the ATB amount of that schema when the battle starts. I wouldn't say the XIII/XIII-2 garbs are entirely useless, but they might as well be since you have such a wide variety to choose from now. I think they serve a purpose for people that didn't get any DLC. Another plus side about them is that they have no locked skills I guess.

Helter Skelter should be nice to use though since it's usually only available when you're playing on Hard.

Yeah, I'd probably be using XIII/XIII-2 if I didn't have all the bonus ones like Cloud/Yuna/Siegfried, but I do, so... Hmm. Having all unlocked skills is nice, but not a big deal to me.

Oh it is? I'll look more into it when I play next. I might try that Helter Skelter garb out. I really want Sacred Knight (looks awesome) and I've heard Soldier of Peace or something like that is good. I don't have 'em yet, though.

HawthorneKitty

Yeah, everyone make sure you submit 250k worth's of score to the Outerworld by March 7 for the next Hard-only garb. Saves gil either way.

Nohar

Man, weapons can get quite overpowered once you are able to improve them. It's also a very good way to use some weapons which are otherwise outclassed by others. I was quite happy to discover that the Omega weapons had a lower cap than others regular ones, because I now can use beautiful and powerful weapons which aren't bright pink/purple-ish. Thank God.

HawthorneKitty

Man, weapons can get quite overpowered once you are able to improve them. It's also a very good way to use some weapons which are otherwise outclassed by others. I was quite happy to discover that the Omega weapons had a lower cap than others regular ones, because I now can use beautiful and powerful weapons which aren't bright pink/purple-ish. Thank God.
Oh, really? That's great; I've only upgraded the Quick Stagger sword so far.

Mohasus

Yup, most of the time he's just telling me something that just happened or recapping the story.

Koozek

Yihaaaaaaaaa! Final boss is done! The journey is over. What an unexpectedly fun ride :)
Thanks for your company, fellow saviors!
We shall meet again for the Noctis Orgy this winter
believe

PS: What an amazing, crazy song during that last battle :D

How good is the Miqo'te grab? I just got it a bit ago. I noticed it has Mediguard+ (Max) which seems really useful. I have Mediguard lvl1 on Siegfried right now. Dust and Shadow Garb looks decent as well (stats and looks). How about Helter Skelter? I got that one from some Overworld-related thing. It has Attacklvl4. Hmm. So many choices! The XIII/XIII-2 outfits look awesome, but they have no special bonuses or anything, and I don't wanna gimp myself.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Once I got Helter Skelter I used that as my default garb until day 13 when you get some new ones in the Ark. The Attack level 4 and the stats on the garb itself are nice. Three open slots also gives you room to work with.

For my second garb I used Cloud until I unlocked Dark Knight. Then I alternated Dark Knight and Soldier of Peace depending on what I was fighting. If you have the patience to sit there and fight Gorgonsopid over and over until they are extinct the accessory that the omega version drops gives Default ATB+50% which really makes Soldier of Peace shine. Once I got around to getting that accessory I pretty much shelved Dark Knight.

Third garb I used was Yuna until I unlocked Black Mage. I also got lucky enough to run into a rare forge early on so I swapped into Danse Macabre for a while as well. I think the elemental garbs you can buy in the Wildlands are better though because Black Mage and Danse Macabre just can't stagger as well without -ara spells. I ended up skipping over them in my ignorance but they are Ignition, Electronica, Woodland Walker and Watery Chorus. I ended up settling on L'autome once I acquired it though. That stats on it aren't particularly good but having Thundara and Aerora Lv. 3 standard on it is pretty nice. It also has a counterpart in Urban Outlaw which has Fira and Blizzara on it instead which you can swap in for fights where you need them.

There are also a few garbs worth grabbing that are useful for specific fights like Dragoon and Quiet Guardian.

I read an update in the game that said I can get the Helter Skelter garb from a blue text npc. Any idea how to find that particular one? I have been in the dead dunes since reading about that garb and haven't seen the Square Enix npc.

HawthorneKitty

I read an update in the game that said I can get the Helter Skelter garb from a blue text npc. Any idea how to find that particular one? I have been in the dead dunes since reading about that garb and haven't seen the Square Enix npc.
Personally, I'd try looking for the NPC in the city locations since the characters are more concentrated. It's really random though; look for the @LRFF13

It's just luck I think. It's one of the Outerworld NPCs you see running around, just look for the name LRFF13.

I got lucky and found one as soon as soon as I teleported to Ruffian after loading up the game. I've also seen some in Luxerion outside the north train station.

It's a pretty stupid way to give out the garb but as long as you pay attention to any Outerworld NPCs you run into you should see it before too long.

Also I should probably add that the NPC doesn't hold the garb itself. Once you talk to the NPC it will show up under the Rewards Barter Shop in the menu.

It's just luck I think. It's one of the Outerworld NPCs you see running around, just look for the name LRFF13.

I got lucky and found one as soon as soon as I teleported to Ruffian after loading up the game. I've also seen some in Luxerion outside the north train station.

It's a pretty stupid way to give out the garb but as long as you pay attention to any Outerworld NPCs you run into you should see it before too long.

Also I should probably add that the NPC doesn't hold the garb itself. Once you talk to the NPC it will show up under the Rewards Barter Shop in the menu.

Personally, I'd try looking for the NPC in the city locations since the characters are more concentrated. It's really random though; look for the @LRFF13

Thanks. Sucks to hear it's rather random to come across. From the way the message sounded it seemed like there would be someone there delivering it like a present. Not too concerned though, since I haven't even tried on half of the garbs in my inventory. I have been hording up so many garbs from the npc shops that it's almost overwhelming.

I just finished this this evening and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it for the most part, even if the stat building mechanic was lame and there was way too much fetch quest padding.

I actually really loved the ending (Spoilers,obvs) :
Not because it made any sense, oh no, it was so much nonsensical garbage storywise, but the sheer ridiculousness of the characters all suddenly being in outer space fighting god in front of a black hole was just too close to Guren Laggan for me to not love it. All that was missing was the Eidolons all combining into one massive form and it'd have been a series redeemer. Sazh kind of got screwed on screen time in the ending though.

Also, that last image of all the souls flying to the new world to be reborn... that visual and the effect looked so much like the Lifestream shit from FFVII I was convinced for a minute they were going to be implying some direct correlation there. Thankfully not.

Overall, more enjoyable to play than XIII, but not as much as XIII-2. Worst story of the three as well.

No regrets, but glad it's done.

Once I got Helter Skelter I used that as my default garb until day 13 when you get some new ones in the Ark. The Attack level 4 and the stats on the garb itself are nice. Three open slots also gives you room to work with.

For my second garb I used Cloud until I unlocked Dark Knight. Then I alternated Dark Knight and Soldier of Peace depending on what I was fighting. If you have the patience to sit there and fight Gorgonsopid over and over until they are extinct the accessory that the omega version drops gives Default ATB+50% which really makes Soldier of Peace shine. Once I got around to getting that accessory I pretty much shelved Dark Knight.

Third garb I used was Yuna until I unlocked Black Mage. I also got lucky enough to run into a rare forge early on so I swapped into Danse Macabre for a while as well. I think the elemental garbs you can buy in the Wildlands are better though because Black Mage and Danse Macabre just can't stagger as well without -ara spells. I ended up skipping over them in my ignorance but they are Ignition, Electronica, Woodland Walker and Watery Chorus. I ended up settling on L'autome once I acquired it though. That stats on it aren't particularly good but having Thundara and Aerora Lv. 3 standard on it is pretty nice. It also has a counterpart in Urban Outlaw which has Fira and Blizzara on it instead which you can swap in for fights where you need them.

There are also a few garbs worth grabbing that are useful for specific fights like Dragoon and Quiet Guardian.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I just got the Black Mage garb from Hope. Think it'd be good to switch out Yuna now? Her Elementa just seems so powerful and is better than pretty much every other spell I have used so far in terms of raw damage, and it's decent stagger, too. It does require a good bit of ATB though - can only use it twice with one bar. I'm starting Wildlands tomorrow, I think, so I'll check out those garbs when I get to the village. :)

Is it a waste of two slots to have DeProtect and DeShell? I generally put them on most enemies I come across, but I'm not sure if it's worth taking up 2 slots for that.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I just got the Black Mage garb from Hope. Think it'd be good to switch out Yuna now? Her Elementa just seems so powerful and is better than pretty much every other spell I have used so far in terms of saw damage, and it's decent stagger, too. It does require a good bit of ATB though - can only use it twice with one bar. I'm starting Wildlands tomorrow, I think, so I'll check out those garbs when I get to the village. :)

Is it a waste of two slots to have DeProtect and DeShell? I generally put them on most enemies I come across, but I'm not sure if it's worth taking up 2 slots for that.

I doubt there's much of a difference between Yuna and Black Mage to be honest. I really only switched because Soul of the Black Mage seemed like a nice perk to have and the ATB situation was a little better compared to Yuna. In the end it comes down to preference.

As far as Deprotect and Deshell. I tried to keep them on my magic garb as much as possible but I've heard some people say they never used debuffs at all. It just depends on how you like to play the game. I liked the added benefit of having them though so I stuck with them, also subbing in Poison when it was useful. Worst case scenario you can just experiment with different abilities and see what clicks for you.

I doubt there's much of a difference between Yuna and Black Mage to be honest. I really only switched because Soul of the Black Mage seemed like a nice perk to have and the ATB situation was a little better compared to Yuna. In the end it comes down to preference.

As far as Deprotect and Deshell. I tried to keep them on my magic garb as much as possible but I've heard some people say they never used debuffs at all. It just depends on how you like to play the game. I liked the added benefit of having them though so I stuck with them, also subbing in Poison when it was useful. Worst case scenario you can just experiment with different abilities and see what clicks for you.

Ah okay. I might try out black mage for a bit and see how I like it. Might go back to Yuna. What's the best mage outfit in the game? Well, best mage outfit that I can get in a Normal playthrough? Not sure what I should be aiming for in that department. I plan on using Soldier of Peace (as I've heard it's good) and Sacred Knight (I just love how it looks - possibly my favorite looking garb in the game - hope it's useful lol). Not sure what the third one will be yet... Hmm.

Yeah, I've always liked using Deprotect and Deshell in all of the XIII games, so I kind of want to continue using them, lol. I did just get Poison and Imperil, though. Hmm. So many choices, not enough slots!

Ah okay. I might try out black mage for a bit and see how I like it. Might go back to Yuna. What's the best mage outfit in the game? Well, best mage outfit that I can get in a Normal playthrough? Not sure what I should be aiming for in that department. I plan on using Soldier of Peace (as I've heard it's good) and Sacred Knight (I just love how it looks - possibly my favorite looking garb in the game - hope it's useful lol). Not sure what the third one will be yet... Hmm.

Yeah, I've always liked using Deprotect and Deshell in all of the XIII games, so I kind of want to continue using them, lol. I did just get Poison and Imperil, though. Hmm. So many choices, not enough slots!

As far as I can tell there really isn't any runaway best magic garb in the game. I think later on once you have the ability to upgrade weapons and abilities that the best garbs end up being those that have the most open slots but that really doesn't come into effect until New Game Plus.

Personally, I think the best magic garbs are L'automne for Thundara and Aerora Lv. 3 while also switching in Urban Outlaw for stuff that you really need Fira or Blizzara for. You can buy both of those from Canopus Farms in the Wildlands starting on day 8.

do the seeds carry on over to NG+ for the seeds trophy?
and do i need to hold 50 or just have gave 50 ?

Seeds reset on New Game Plus. Also you only have to have collected 50. It adds together the ones in your inventory and the ones you've already turned in. There's also a Trophy/Achievement for getting an Elixir which is obtained by turning in 100 soul seeds to the NPCs.

If you have a lot of extra time with nothing left to do (or just make a backup save) there's an easy way to get them. Once you get to day 9 there will be three "Roadworks" quests on the Canvas of Prayers. When you complete them the highways between areas will open up. As you run across them you'll notice that the chaos field things will appear rather regularly. An easy way to get seeds is to engage the monster that spawns in the chaos then instantly use Escape. After the battle there will be anywhere from 1-4 seeds on the ground near you. Collect them and then run around until you find another chaos field and repeat the process. It will eat up a lot of time since Escape fast forwards time an hour but if you have nothing better to do or just want to make a backup save it's an extremely easy way of completing those Trophies/Achievements.

benzy

How many side quests do you have to do to unlock the 14th day? I have around 35 side quests completed and 40 canvas quests finished. All of these lame side quests are turning my brain into mush.

Balphon

I had Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil equipped (one on each schema) for nearly the entirety of the game. They increase your damage by a fair bit, last awhile, and virtually nothing is immune to them. Imperil would be of particular benefit to you if you want to continue using the multi-element attacks, as it will prevent enemies from absorbing elemental damage.

As far as I can tell there really isn't any runaway best magic garb in the game. I think later on once you have the ability to upgrade weapons and abilities that the best garbs end up being those that have the most open slots but that really doesn't come into effect until New Game Plus.

Personally, I think the best magic garbs are L'automne for Thundara and Aerora Lv. 3 while also switching in Urban Outlaw for stuff that you really need Fira or Blizzara for. You can buy both of those from Canopus Farms in the Wildlands starting on day 8.

I'll check those two garbs out on Day 8 then! :) One thing that annoys me is there is only a set number of slots for garbs you can save (the Sub-schemas). Why is the limit so small?

I had Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil equipped (one on each schema) for nearly the entirety of the game. They increase your damage by a fair bit, last awhile, and virtually nothing is immune to them. Imperil would be of particular benefit to you if you want to continue using the multi-element attacks, as it will prevent enemies from absorbing elemental damage.

I remember Imperil being really useful in the previous XIII games as well, but I kind of forget what it does.

Top Bottom