• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Lowers all elemental resistances by one rank (e.g. from Absorb to Immune or from Normal to Weak).

Oh wow, that *IS* really awesome. Definitely gonna pop that on one of my people. Hmm, would it be better to spread out each debuff (Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil) on each Garb I'm using? I can't imagine putting all 3 on one garb would be ideal since that person would lack any sort of attacks. I suppose they could be my "tank" character who is mostly used for debuffing and guarding, but I dunno.

Szadek

Oh wow, that *IS* really awesome. Definitely gonna pop that on one of my people. Hmm, would it be better to spread out each debuff (Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil) on each Garb I'm using? I can't imagine putting all 3 on one garb would be ideal since that person would lack any sort of attacks. I suppose they could be my "tank" character who is mostly used for debuffing and guarding, but I dunno.
I gave my mage costume deshell and imperil ,and deprotect to either my stagger or attack costume,works fairly well.

I gave my mage costume deshell and imperil ,and deprotect to either my stagger or attack costume,works fairly well.

That sounds pretty good. Will probably be how I do it. Although with my current mage Garb (Yuna), I'd either have to remove Guard or only have Elementa as my magic (for her, I mean) if I put the two debuff abilities on her...

Szadek

That sounds pretty good. Will probably be how I do it. Although with my current mage Garb (Yuna), I'd either have to remove Guard or only have Elementa as my magic (for her, I mean) if I put the two debuff abilities on her...
Don't unequip guard,chances are you will regret it at some point.
Elementa is pretty good and combos very well with impril.

MilkBeard

Yeah.

The cool thing is that once you complete day 1 on a NG+ you unlock the ability to start a new one from any point in the game when you're on the Ark.

That's cool, that means theoretically you could keep completing NG + until you can smash Aeronite in your sleep. I wonder if they have a cap for any stats?

MilkBeard

So I've just gotten Lightning's original and XIII-2 outfits...WHY IS THERE NO ATTACK OPTION ON EITHER OF THEM? I'm confused.

Attack is a seperate ability that you have to put in one of the slots. There are a few that have them as a permanent slot but most don't.

BadRNG

Hmm, would it be better to spread out each debuff (Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil) on each Garb I'm using? I can't imagine putting all 3 on one garb would be ideal since that person would lack any sort of attacks. I suppose they could be my "tank" character who is mostly used for debuffing and guarding, but I dunno.
This is actually what I did for some of the more annoying enemies, like Earth Eater. There are accessories that give you massive defense increase (like -75% damage on physical or magical) but lower your offense by a huge amount as well. Since they aren't much good for attacking they act as debuff tanks, very useful for certain fights.

For general enemies though I usually have the debuff skills spread out a bit. Deshell on my melee and deprotect on my mage, so they have something to do if the enemy is strong against their normal attacks. Or conversely so that it doesn't eat into their ATB if they are weak against their normal attacks.

Some desert fun:

BhiIDZ8CMAAcHqm.jpg

Bhhs0fQCQAAC9yq.jpg

Bhhyb_1CMAA513s.jpg

That's cool, that means theoretically you could keep completing NG + until you can smash Aeronite in your sleep. I wonder if they have a cap for any stats?

Stats cap at 5000 I believe although in NG+ you can turn on Limit Break which lets your stats go up to 9999 but it prevents you from posting battle scores.

Garland7G

Get a capture card.

Er, you're capping from your Elgato as 540p, 70kB jpegs?

That's an improvement, but a shockingly small one for what ought to be a decent capture setup.

Eh, I uploaded it to facebook so there is the culprit, the pic is 3.31mb on my HD lol. If you can recommend a better free hosting site let me know. ;)

HTupolev

Eh, I uploaded it to facebook so there is the culprit, the pic is 3.31mb on my HD lol. If you can recommend a better free hosting site let me know. ;)
Practically anything. imgur converts everything to jpeg, and it applies extra compression to larger images, but even it will wipe the floor with that crap.

minus.com seems pretty good.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I had to start anew because last boss was giving me hard time in normal mode, so I decide to begin again with new game plus. Do Snow & Noel scenarios give less exp now? I mean I just took +100 hp seems so little and I'm scared even on the second run last boss will crash me...

Nohar

I had to start anew because last boss was giving me hard time in normal mode, so I decide to begin again with new game plus. Do Snow & Noel scenarios give less exp now? I mean I just took +100 hp seems so little and I'm scared even on the second run last boss will crash me...

Every quest you already completed, be it main, sidequest or board quest, will grant you far less stat bonuses (it's more or less something between a 50%-75% decrease, if not more).
Your best shot at improving your character really is enhancing your abilities and combining accessories, since you can't enhance weapons in a regular NG+ in which you didn't defeat the last boss. You can also buy better weapons/shields to replace the ones you are using. You should be able to find some good weapons available at stores on the 12th/13th day.

HeelPower

restart the game on easy. I did the same.

You can tear through it all in like 5 hours.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just got Platinum last night. All I have left is to defeat the last boss + version. I could finish getting all the level 3 accessories too I guess, but I think my interest will be gone soon.

All this talk about the difficulty of the final boss... I hope I won't have too many problems because I won't start over on Easy. I'm enjoying the game right now, but I want to move on after I beat it.

This is actually what I did for some of the more annoying enemies, like Earth Eater. There are accessories that give you massive defense increase (like -75% damage on physical or magical) but lower your offense by a huge amount as well. Since they aren't much good for attacking they act as debuff tanks, very useful for certain fights.

For general enemies though I usually have the debuff skills spread out a bit. Deshell on my melee and deprotect on my mage, so they have something to do if the enemy is strong against their normal attacks. Or conversely so that it doesn't eat into their ATB if they are weak against their normal attacks.

That's not a bad idea really. Hmm... When I play more today, I want to switch around some of my garbs just for something new. I like how Siegfried looks, but I've been using it for so long.

squall211

How many side quests do you have to do to unlock the 14th day? I have around 35 side quests completed and 40 canvas quests finished. All of these lame side quests are turning my brain into mush.

I don't think it's an exact number of sidequests to unlock the extra day. You need to have a certain "score" which is based on the number of stars related to each quest. For me, I finished 40 sidequests and 58 (I think) CoP quests, and that was enough to unlock the extra day.

squall211

I think the cap is 5000 for str and magic, but you are able to "remove" that cap somehow in NG+. I haven't beaten the game yet so I can't comment on that.

Koozek

All this talk about the difficulty of the final boss... I hope I won't have too many problems because I won't start over on Easy. I'm enjoying the game right now, but I want to move on after I beat it.

The first three forms were a joke, really. Just spam Artemis's Arrows which is Soldier of Peace garb (complete "The Hunter's Challenge" sidequest at the Wildlands) + Heavy Slash.
Save up all Ethers you find for this fight. The fourth form is the "hardest" part. Even that is easy if you know what to do. I realized to late that I have to use Overclock to stagger him with my best spell (in my case Fira Lv. 4), so it was a bit close and I wasted lots of EP. As soon as he's staggered it easy peasy with Overclocking Artemis' Arrow :)

That's not a bad idea really. Hmm... When I play more today, I want to switch around some of my garbs just for something new. I like how Siegfried looks, but I've been using it for so long.

Oh, you should DEFINITELY have one of those -75% physical/magic resistance + debuffs Schema (Ghostly Hood/Preta Hood)! Believe me, it's almost obligatory for the harder monsters, IMO.

The first three forms were a joke, really. Just spam Artemis's Arrows which is Soldier of Peace garb (complete "The Hunter's Challenge" sidequest at the Wildlands) + Heavy Slash.
Save up all Ethers you find for this fight. The fourth form is the "hardest" part. Even that is easy if you know what to do. I realized to late that I have to use Overclock to stagger him with my best spell (in my case Fira Lv. 4), so it was a bit close and I wasted lots of EP. As soon as he's staggered it easy peasy with Overclocking Artemis' Arrow :)

I'll try to keep that in mind for when I get to the final boss, thanks! BTW, where do you get Ethers? Can you eventually buy them from the shops? I haven't seen any in stores yet. Having a couple ethers on hand would be nice if I ran out of EP and needed to use Chronostasis for something.

Oh, you should DEFINITELY have one of those -75% physical/magic resistance + debuffs Schema (Ghostly Hood/Preta Hood)! Believe me, it's almost obligatory for the harder monsters, IMO.

Oh nice. Speaking of a defensive build, when should I be using Heavy Guard over something like Guard or Light Guard? Should I put Heavy Guard on my most defensive garb (the one I try to block with if possible)? Right now, I have Mediguard, Guard, and Guard on my 3 main garbs.

SilverArrow20XX

I'll try to keep that in mind for when I get to the final boss, thanks! BTW, where do you get Ethers? Can you eventually buy them from the shops? I haven't seen any in stores yet. Having a couple ethers on hand would be nice if I ran out of EP and needed to use Chronostasis for something.

A few canvas Quests give them a rewards. You can get one from turning in soul seeds, and a Turbo Ether for turning in 100 on NG+. Ethers and Turbo Ethers can be sold by outworld NPCs for pretty cheap. Giving unappraised items to that appraiser kid in Ruffian can yield ethers as well.

You'll get a couple Ethers from random quests (I can't really remember which ones) and you'll get an Elixir if you take the time to collect and turn in 100 soul seeds.

They don't show up in regular shops but you can find them on Outerworld NPCs on occasion. Definitely try to check the majority of Outerworld NPCs you come across just in case they have an Ether or Turbo Ether for sale. They're incredibly valuable for the harder fights in the game.

The only downfall is they'll eat up a recovery item slot, although by completing certain quests you can get up to total of 10 slots which helps a lot.

A few canvas Quests give them a rewards. You can get one from turning in soul seeds, and a Turbo Ether for turning in 100 on NG+. Ethers and Turbo Ethers can be sold by outworld NPCs for pretty cheap. Giving unappraised items to that appraiser kid in Ruffian can yield ethers as well.

You'll get a couple Ethers from random quests (I can't really remember which ones) and you'll get an Elixir if you take the time to collect and turn in 100 soul seeds.

They don't show up in regular shops but you can find them on Outerworld NPCs on occasion. Definitely try to check the majority of Outerworld NPCs you come across just in case they have an Ether or Turbo Ether for sale. They're incredibly valuable for the harder fights in the game.

The only downfall is they'll eat up a recovery item slot, although by completing certain quests you can get up to total of 10 slots which helps a lot.

Oh thanks, both of you! :) I wish they were just available in regular stores. I'd be awesome if I could always have a few extra Ethers on me for EP replenishment when no enemies were around. Oh well. I wish it didn't take so damn long for the Outerworld NPC shops to load. Makes examining them such a pain. xD

SilverArrow20XX

Oh thanks, both of you! :) I wish they were just available in regular stores. I'd be awesome if I could always have a few extra Ethers on me for EP replenishment when no enemies were around. Oh well. I wish it didn't take so damn long for the Outerworld NPC shops to load. Makes examining them such a pain. xD

If you smash skeleton statues in the Dead Dunes ruins you can get a ton of unappraised items. I ended up with 7 ethers at one point.

If you smash skeleton statues in the Dead Dunes ruins you can get a ton of unappraised items. I ended up with 7 ethers at one point.

Oh, you can keep turning in unappraised items for more ethers? I thought that was just a one-time quest reward. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I got quite a few of those already from killing lizards, lol. I need more item capacity. D: I wish you could hold as many items as you wanted (99) but could only "equip" 6-10 at a time for battles. Doesn't help that one of my slots is taken up by that stupid alchemist quest from Yusnaan, lol.

Koozek

No, unfortunately you can't buy them anywhere, just from sidequests, unappraised items from the Dead Dunes that can sometimes be Ethers after having them appraised or somehow through those online features that I don't know of because I haven't been online while playing, sorry.

Oh nice. Speaking of a defensive build, when should I be using Heavy Guard over something like Guard or Light Guard? Should I put Heavy Guard on my most defensive garb (the one I try to block with if possible)? Right now, I have Mediguard, Guard, and Guard on my 3 main garbs.

To be honest, I always thought Mediguard was useless as a damage reducer because it never really worked as such well enough for me. Maybe I did something wrong or the main use is just holding the guarding button for healing, dunno.
I'd use Heavy Guard, personally^^

Oh, and out of curiosity: Did you guys just press the Guard button once on the first attack of the enemy and then hold the button down for the rest of the sequence? For 3/4 of the game I haven't realized that you can hold it down afterwards and always spammed Guards like a lunatic :D I only changed my behaviour late in the game, but well, whatever, I finished Ereshkigal and the final boss, so I couldn't have played that wrong :p

To be honest, I always thought Mediguard was useless as a damage reducer because it never really worked as such well enough for me. Maybe I did something wrong or the main use is just holding the guarding button for healing, dunno.
I'd use Heavy Guard, personally^^

I don't really use Mediguard for actual guarding against attacks personally. I use it just to heal back HP on easier enemies to keep me topped off after battles (since I'm playing on Normal). I might try out Heavy Guard on my main defensive garb then. :) I didn't know if it took too much ATB or whatever.

I don't really use Mediguard for actual guarding against attacks personally. I use it just to heal back HP on easier enemies to keep me topped off after battles (since I'm playing on Normal). I might try out Heavy Guard on my main defensive garb then. :) I didn't know if it took too much ATB or whatever.

If you haven't already and don't need them for EP farming you could take the time to kill all the Reavers. The omega version drops a sword after the battle that has 900 STR/900 MAG and an auto regen for the first 15 seconds of battle that can help keep your HP topped off when fighting random junk monsters.

SilverArrow20XX

Oh, you can keep turning in unappraised items for more ethers? I thought that was just a one-time quest reward. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I got quite a few of those already from killing lizards, lol. I need more item capacity. D: I wish you could hold as many items as you wanted (99) but could only "equip" 6-10 at a time for battles. Doesn't help that one of my slots is taken up by that stupid alchemist quest from Yusnaan, lol.

Yup. You'll also eventually have 12 item slots If you do NG+, so that gets better.

If you haven't already and don't need them for EP farming you could take the time to kill all the Reavers. The omega version drops a sword after the battle that has 900 STR/900 MAG and an auto regen for the first 15 seconds of battle that can help keep your HP topped off when fighting random junk monsters.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome. I haven't killed any Reavers at all actually. How many spawns are there? I've been trying to not fight too many enemies of one certain type because I didn't want them to go extinct too early (so I have more enemies for getting EP while exploring and I read enemies drop higher level abilities after Day 7+). I've only seen one Reaver spawn so far, anyways though (as I've been in Luxerion and Yusnaan for the most part). The one I saw spawned in the north section of Yusnaan (in the sandy areas). I didn't fight it because I just arrived in the city (on like Day 2) and I didn't think I was strong enough to beat it yet. I'm starting the Wildlands today, so I suspect I'll see more of them here.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome. I haven't killed any Reavers at all actually. How many spawns are there? I've been trying to not fight too many enemies of one certain type because I didn't want them to go extinct too early (so I have more enemies for getting EP while exploring and I read enemies drop higher level abilities after Day 7+). I've only seen one Reaver spawn so far, anyways though (as I've been in Luxerion and Yusnaan for the most part). The one I saw spawned in the north section of Yusnaan (in the sandy areas). I didn't fight it because I just arrived in the city (on like Day 2) and I didn't think I was strong enough to beat it yet. I'm starting the Wildlands today, so I suspect I'll see more of them here.

Yeah they spawn in Yusnaan in that sandy area as well as in the main area of the Wildlands. I did all my farming in Yusnaan though.

You only have to kill 30 so it actually goes by pretty quickly, especially if you can kill them before they transform. They're ridiculously easy to stagger (by guarding) and if your stats are high enough you should be able to drop them with a few Slayers from the Cloud garb before it recovers.

The thing with omega enemies though is that their special weapon/accessory drops on the ground after the fight just like the main quest bosses so make sure you don't miss it.

Yeah they spawn in Yusnaan in that sandy area as well as in the main area of the Wildlands. I did all my farming in Yusnaan though.

You only have to kill 30 so it actually goes by pretty quickly, especially if you can kill them before they transform. They're ridiculously easy to stagger (by guarding) and if your stats are high enough you should be able to drop them with a few Slayers from the Cloud garb before it recovers.

The thing with omega enemies though is that their special weapon/accessory drops on the ground after the fight just like the main quest bosses so make sure you don't miss it.

Damn, 30 will definitely go by fast. When you farmed them, did you just keep running up and down that long sandy area in Yusnaan? One of those... turtle-looking things (with the shell) spawned in that area as well. Next time I see a reaver, gonna fight it. :)

Oh okay, thanks for that tip as well. It would suck to lose an item like that if you left the area or something. D:

Damn, 30 will definitely go by fast. When you farmed them, did you just keep running up and down that long sandy area in Yusnaan? One of those... turtle-looking things (with the shell) spawned in that area as well. Next time I see a reaver, gonna fight it. :)

Oh okay, thanks for that tip as well. It would suck to lose an item like that if you left the area or something. D:

Yeah I just ran around that area right outside the industrial area. There's actually quite a bit of stuff that can spawn there but when I took the effort to farm them I was getting Reavers to spawn like 75% of the time and that was on day 4 or 5 I think so they didn't seem very rare. Although I was also killing Niblets at the same time for the Yusnaan side quest that has you kill them to extinction. I'm not sure if Wildlands is better though since I had them extinct before I did most of my stuff there. I believe they only share a spawn area with two other monsters so if they aren't spawning enough for you in Yusnaan you could try the Wildlands as well.

Those turtle things are a bit annoying to fight. Throw a couple debuffs on them and spam -ara spells if you have them to stagger it. Once it's staggered it's an easy kill though. They also give great EP and show up in the Dead Dunes so they can be useful for farming when you need extra Chronostasis.

And yeah, I actually made the mistake of not picking up the item after the Wildlands boss. It was an intense fight and it just completely slipped my mind. Turns out the item is actually a really great sword that's damn near a must have. Make sure you pick it up lol.

Yeah, I still need to keep killing Niblets for that sidequest. I've killed quite a bit of them in Luxerion, but they are still classified as "Common". I've never liked fighting those turtle enemies in any of the XIII games - they are just annoying in general, lol. It's good they provide some nice EP, though.

Ouch, I think I know what weapon you are talking about -
Caius' weapon? I saw people using that in videos and it's supposedly really awesome.
That must have sucked. D:

Top Bottom