• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

hengyu

Can't find a PC performance thread... How is this port?

After the shit show that was FF13, what with the UI locking fps to 30 and whatever I am really not confident about this at all.

HTupolev

Can't find a PC performance thread... How is this port?

After the shit show that was FF13, what with the UI locking fps to 30 and whatever I am really not confident about this at all.
Most people who've commented say they're getting something that mostly resembles a good 60fps.

Okayyy... that was wierd.

The game seemed to be locked to 30FPS, no matter what Settings I put.

Then I alt-tabbed out and back in, and the framerate shot to 60 and stayed there.

*shrugs*

EDIT: And now it's back to 30. COME ON!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Okayyy... that was wierd.

The game seemed to be locked to 30FPS, no matter what Settings I put.

Then I alt-tabbed out and back in, and the framerate shot to 60 and stayed there.

*shrugs*

EDIT: And now it's back to 30. COME ON!

The common problem with these ports on nvidia cards was they werent actually pushing the gpu strong enough. You had to go into the control panel and set power management to prefer maximum performance so the gpu was always going strong. Otherwise the games literally would not force the card to clock higher.

The common problem with these ports on nvidia cards was they werent actually pushing the gpu strong enough. You had to go into the control panel and set power management to prefer maximum performance so the gpu was always going strong. Otherwise the games literally would not force the card to clock higher.

Already have that set. this is seeming almost entirely arbitrary..

Screw it, i'll wait for someone to take a look at this.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, The MSI Afterburner overlay crashes so I can't get detailed stats. *grumbles*

cwistofu

Nope, that was standard. 8K was almost as bad as 1080p regarding jaggies, but 4K was smooth.

1080p

Actually 8K is the worst here IMO.

I should try that, as the game doesn't have real full screen.

I don't care about proper AA, fullscreen, downsampling, or stamina meters.

Somebody please just mod this game so that Lightning has proper thighs.

Update:

Dropping resolution to 720P seems to have locked the framerate to 60FPS permanently.
So... apparrently there's some kind of slightly less agressive frame pacing code still in there? I dunno. I'd light thre Durante signal, but I think he's staying out of this, isn't he?

*shrugs* guess I'll have to stick with 720p60 for now. bleh.

Adaren

Whelp, I can't get it to use my nVida card, even when it says it is in the control panel.

Furthermore, when I try to select "Prefer Maximum Power", it swaps back to Integrated.

It's not completely terrible on integrated...but definitely less than optimal.

Guess I'll finally update my drivers and hope that solves it. ><

EDIT: Driver update did it, along with Prefer Max Power.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Update:

Dropping resolution to 720P seems to have locked the framerate to 60FPS permanently.
So... apparrently there's some kind of slightly less agressive frame pacing code still in there? I dunno. I'd light thre Durante signal, but I think he's staying out of this, isn't he?

whats your hardware?

Zafir

I can't seem to get anything working in Cheat Engine sadly. The memory addresses Dr Dogg found doesn't seem to work for me.

Course it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, I'm not very well versed in memory editing really.

Eyothrie

Update:

GPU?

Durante has never been bothered by bad framerate. He's more of a image quality guy. Love IQ, but to me performance is just as important as IQ

I can't seem to get anything working in Cheat Engine sadly. The memory addresses Dr Dogg found doesn't seem to work for me.

Course it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, I'm not very well versed in memory editing really.

There are people working on it right now on the CE forums. I'm personally waiting for the Infinite ATB code, myself.

Unreal

animation12gqxb.gif

HeelPower

Image courtesy of artsi

Man this is a massive improvement over the console versions.

I really hope this game secures some sort of cult following if only for its highly non linear structure and battle system.

Now it looks and runs great too!

BONKERS

Alienware 17.

Core i7 4900MQ 4x 2.80GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB.

In other words, Not top of the line, but yes, it can run Crysis.

Try another OSD if afterburner is crashing. (Strange, b/c it worked fine for me.)
You shouldnt' have an issue hitting 1080p60

Chairhome

Hmm, my aging pc is actually around the recommended specs. If I had time to play, I'd get it now... Need to complete the lightning trilogy

HTupolev

did they really make the title in the steam library

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII

what the hell square
Yes. That is, in fact, what the game has always been titled.

They were probably playing around with "THE THIRD GAME IN THE SUBSERIES BUILT AROUND THE THIRTEENTH NUMBERED MAINLINE FINAL FANTASY GAME, IN WHICH LIGHTNING RETURNS", but decided it was too long.

They were probably playing around with "THE THIRD GAME IN THE SUBSERIES BUILT AROUND THE THIRTEENTH NUMBERED MAINLINE FINAL FANTASY GAME, IN WHICH LIGHTNING RETURNS", but decided it was too long.

FINAL FANTASY NOVA CRYSTALLIS DUSCAE DUOCIEM BAE RETURNS

Falk

that puzzling face

Zell cameo.

Hey Zell lay off on those hotdogs

CRISIS CORE: Final Fantasy VII

... wait.

Oh.

Alucrid

Banned
Holy shit lol.
I can also see
the pillow there.

oh yeah, that picture. the best is how all the non-lightning cans are turned away

i couldn't find it in my library because i assumed any sensible person would name it final fantasy xiii: lightning returns, but i guess expecting something sensible from the series was my fault

BONKERS

any 21:9 workarounds?

From Square Enix? Unlikely. It'd probably take a significant mod too.

Anything that isn't 16:9 or terminates in 1080p doesn't exist to them. Unless it's an MMO or a Mobile Phone port. At least of the released games in the last 3 years.

Top Bottom