• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Exentryk

Please. Tell me more.

Abilities mapped to face buttons, and each ability costs ATB points. The action system is very well done with good frame perfect dodging and perfectly timed attacks. There are 3 garbs that Lighting can switch instantly in combat which switches abilities. Lots of depth with the system with equipment customization. Definitely worth experiencing once.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The "FFVII Aerith" schemata is not included in this pack. Furthermore, there are no plans to make this schemata available in future.

What a shame. I remember after importing XIII, moving onto purchasing XIII-2, and skipping this that I'd might go back someday. I wasn't really into X-2, but X was pretty good. I seem to stick to the main series. I got this today and went to launch it.

It's somewhat strange you can load a no save for an error. I wasn't sure on how to back out of settings, but everything else was fine. I only say this because I have somewhat felt like SE hasn't given it their all lately. I enjoyed XII quite a lot. I'm hoping this is good because I really enjoy Tri-Ace.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Abilities mapped to face buttons, and each ability costs ATB points. The action system is very well done with good frame perfect dodging and perfectly timed attacks. There are 3 garbs that Lighting can switch instantly in combat which switches abilities. Lots of depth with the system with equipment customization. Definitely worth experiencing once.

Might try it. Should I be worried about this Steam Cloud hubbub I'm reading about?

I mean XIV isn't doing me any favors with the Dark Knight.

Performance Report:

Rock. Solid. 60fps... It's beautiful...this new porting method is ace tier, but I really want integrated downsampling support. I can't get those SGSSAA settings posted earlier in the thread working.

i7 4770k
16GB
4GB GTX 980 Kingpin
Note: I'm not using "Maximum performance" in the NVIDIA control panel.

Game:

Getting the "button tap" damage bonus timings down is really difficult. It's like it changes slightly every time. It's also different between attacks and magic. Different animations within each type seem to have different timings as well. This is way harder than pulling off something like Knightsguard in FFXV. That shit is consistent, even with the performance problems of Duscae. Anybody got tips?

I wish I knew a guaranteed method to keep Light from using time wasting finishers, other than maybe switching schema continuously.

Only Guard is consistent... literally a split half of a handful of frames right before the attack. Which normally wouldn't be much of a problem...if this was an action game. Unlike Noctis in FFXV, Lightning's handling isn't nearly as twitch. From inputs, to animations, to actual implementation - everything has a windup. You have to anticipate everything ...which makes you tweak out more, increasing your fuck ups. Doesn't help that enemies have similar looking animations and can trip you up by extending an attack without warning...Anubis...Zaltys has a fricking immediate swipe that has no telegraph.

Hit boxes are weird. AOE's have hitboxes that come out even before animations, at least in overclock mode.

BONKERS

Performance Report:

Rock. Solid. 60fps... It's beautiful...this new porting method is ace tier, but I really want integrated downsampling support. I can't get those SGSSAA settings posted earlier in the thread working.

It doesn't seem to like like resolution that aren't enumerated by the EDID as native resolution and are higher than native for example. (I couldn't get it to work at 1080p when setting my display res to 1080p on a 768p set. The performance actually just crashed to sub 30FPS at 1080p for whatever reason. Despite 1080p working when display is at native and set to 1080p scaled. (But AA doesn't work then).

I blame the strange ass backwards resolution system they have going on.

One user had success alternating the resolution back and forth in the game menu
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5204145&postcount=3288

I had thought about testing by modifying my EDID to say 1080p was native and see how it did then. But I didn't.

yooooooooo

I was trying out the tomb raider DLC garb
holy shit these are overpowered this early
and I found some cool shit.

I was just messing around and I realized - you can control the actual attack animation for certain skills! Directional up + Fatal Sweep = stab. Directional back + Fatal sweep = backflip slash that also has an evade property. And I can do it at will!

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What other moves take input from the thumbstick/WASD!?!?!

duckroll

Anyone else game stuck in Japanese?

If you're talking about the voice: Change it to "Default(English)", save, exit, exit the game, restart, load, it should be in English.

If your entire game is in Japanese, check the game properties in Steam, make sure Language is set to English.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Anyone else having the game not recognize their Dualshock 4 controllers? I'm on Windows 10 64 bit, and everything else besides LR is working with it :/

Dr Dogg

I can't seem to get anything working in Cheat Engine sadly. The memory addresses Dr Dogg found doesn't seem to work for me.

Course it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, I'm not very well versed in memory editing really.

I'll bundle them up into a CheatEngine table when I get in. Bear in mind these values are for current resolution so you'd have to load up CheatEngine and alter your rendering resolution every time. Ideally you'd want to find the values that correspond with the hardcoded resolutions and then alter the executable via hex editing so you can select that option you've replaced in game and it switches resolutions without CheatEngine being needed. Though there were about 17,000 addresses that didn't change while I was looking last night and I really don't have the time to go through them all one by one. Also due to not being a proper fullscreen title and having some awful scaling options your best bet to downsample is to set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to, make sure scaling is disabled in games, set window to 'fullscreen' and then alter the resolution values. Bit hacked together and you're using bilinear interpolation but it works.

Anyways here's the last bit of testing from last night.
1920x1080 said:
23645452536_c6193ebe03_o.png

3840 x 2124 (thanks for cropping this taskbar!) said:

Night and bloody day difference there.

any 21:9 workarounds?

From what I've seen the game is constrained to 16:9 and throwing at different aspect ratio at it just stretches/squashes the image. ie this is what I got when messed about and input 2560-3840 for width with 720 for height.

Zafir

I'll bundle them up into a CheatEngine table when I get in. Bear in mind these values are for current resolution so you'd have to load up CheatEngine and alter your rendering resolution every time. Ideally you'd want to find the values that correspond with the hardcoded resolutions and then alter the executable via hex editing so you can select that option you've replaced in game and it switches resolutions without CheatEngine being needed. Though there were about 17,000 addresses that didn't change while I was looking last night and I really don't have the time to go through them all one by one. Also due to not being a proper fullscreen title and having some awful scaling options your best bet to downsample is to set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to, make sure scaling is disabled in games, set window to 'fullscreen' and then alter the resolution values. Bit hacked together and you're using bilinear interpolation but it works.

Anyways here's the last bit of testing from last night.

Night and bloody day difference there.

From what I've seen the game is constrained to 16:9 and throwing at different aspect ratio at it just stretches/squashes the image. ie this is what I got when messed about and input 2560-3840 for width with 720 for height.
Thanks.

The problem for me was more those addresses didn't even populate for me when I was editing the memory. I was either doing something wrong, or the addresses aren't always the same or something.

Hopefully I was doing something wrong and an address table should work for a temporary solution. Admittedly I did have scaling set to Advanced at that point, so that could have been affecting something.

I did try altering some values in the exe, but that didn't actually seem to do anything.

Wilson

Neo Member
Thanks.

The problem for me was more those addresses didn't even populate for me when I was editing the memory. I was either doing something wrong, or the addresses aren't always the same or something.

Hopefully I was doing something wrong and an address table should work for a temporary solution. Admittedly I did have scaling set to Advanced at that point, so that could have been affecting something.

I did try altering some values in the exe, but that didn't actually seem to do anything.

The addresses change every time you restart the game, unless he's figured out the pointers.

If you're talking about the voice: Change it to "Default(English)", save, exit, exit the game, restart, load, it should be in English.

If your entire game is in Japanese, check the game properties in Steam, make sure Language is set to English.

yeah the entire game is in Japanese for me. Menu, options, in game text, voices everything. Bought the game off my usual steam account, all my stuff is set to English and what not. Not sure what is going on. Maybe because I live in Japan now but this is the first steam item to do this so I'm not sure.

artsi

The addresses change every time you restart the game, unless he's figured out the pointers.

Yeah. I have to always find them again when I start the game.

Just search for 1920 (or whatever you use now), change resolution, search for the new horizontal width, change again, search, etc.

Then same for vertical resolution.

Falk

that puzzling face

Should post in this thread and make some people very happy.

Anteater

People are cautious since the first two games are kinda bad port and still not fixed until now.
Perhaps people still haven't finished them yet, as well, like me.

I haven't started 2 because of the framerate and sound issues, and the game hard freezing my pc when I was trying to patch the frame pacer thing, so I just got turned off and sidetracked to something else, I was tempted to buy lightning returns but I still need to get through ffxiii-2 first.

I would've bought LR day 1 if I got around to playing 2 :p, guess I'll start that now.

PhaZZe

Banned
im in the beginning of xiii-2 so i can wait for a cheap price.
nice seeing 60fps, sorry for guys with more resolution, still playing in 1080p so for me at least is good.

L.O.R.D

repost from steamGaf...

can i join ?

CV8Vhy-WcAQtxcf.jpg

so hyped
i am playing on laptop , so i don't care about 1080P
also, it's cheap here, $13 ...yes...$13 here in SA.

also, i heard the button on the screen always keyboard buttons , can i switch them to Xbox 360 button ?

Goli

Started with DLC on but then restarted with it off, my first time on PS3 with the bonus XIII/XIII-2 and Cloud costumes made it too easy for the most part I think, so this time I'll try without any of it. Also smooth 60 FPS battles are great.

EDIT: You can switch button prompts via the in-game options.

Raytow

I played FFXIII, nearly finished it, watched the end on youtube, played a bit of -2 but awful performance on PC killed my will to play it, will it be okay to just jump on this, or is -2 completion mandatory, its not like I'm really interested in the characters/story, just don't wanna go huh? every few minutes.

makke007

Neo Member
I played FFXIII, nearly finished it, watched the end on youtube, played a bit of -2 but awful performance on PC killed my will to play it, will it be okay to just jump on this, or is -2 completion mandatory, its not like I'm really interested in the characters/story, just don't wanna go huh? every few minutes.

It would be better if you know the stuff from XIII-2 since persons like Noel and Caius are in Lightning Returns too and you might not get the catch then.

just poping to say while this game story may not be good, it does have a good battle systems and a good soundtrack ESPECIALLY dat Clash on the Big Bridge. This game also has one of my favorite dumb quotes ever

"Destiny is Destiny"

wait where did you get that lighting Aya Brea statue

Thoraxes

Wow, it's incredible how much the improved performance really elevates what was already an incredibly engaging battle-system.

Koozek

wow , the combat in this game is so good
it's better then XIII-2

Can't repeat it often enough: best FF battle-system. Especially in some of the sidequest bosses. I think they could have easily build upon it for FFVIIR and made it even better with a few small tweaks. It's SE's best effort at making a hybrid of ATB and "action-based".

Thoraxes

Amazing.

Also, why is goddess wearing a fake beard?

I opted for a mustache when I played the PS3 version myself.

Can't repeat it often enough: best FF battle-system. Especially in some of the sidequest bosses. I think they could have easily build upon it for FFVIIR and made it even better with a few small tweaks. It's SE's best effort at making a hybrid of ATB and "action-based".

The combat in this game is why I was really disappointed in the direction they went with in XV. There are really great ways to marry real-time and turn-based mechanics into a really smooth combat experience, and this game does it in a way that just feels so tight.

The combat in this game is why I was really disappointed in the direction they went with in XV. There are really great ways to marry real-time and turn-based mechanics into a really smooth combat experience, and this game does it in a way that just feels so tight.

to be fair XV was in development way before this game started development

but yeah i hope XVI take some ideas from LRXIII

I'm not sure it is a statue.

oh, that makes senses

Koozek

I opted for a mustache when I played the PS3 version myself.

I think there's a place for both, though I'd lie if I said I wasn't happy to see the franchise finally making the move to an actual action-based battle-system for once. Obviously the FFXV demo was more like an early alpha build with many features missing and a lack of polish, which is absolutly understandable so far from release (at least 1.5 years if it releases in September next year), so it's in no way a representation of the final game (at least I hope so). I'm looking forward to see the newest state of the battle-system in the coming months! One of the reasons I would have actually liked a FFXV sequel is that the best FF battle-systems were in sequels so far (FFX-2 and LR). They could have incorporated all the feedback and gained experience after FFXV's release.

Thoraxes

I think there's a place for both, though I'd lie if I said I wasn't happy to see the franchise finally making the move to an actual action-based battle-system for once. Obviously the FFXV demo was more like an early alpha build with many features missing and a lack of polish, which is absolutly understandable so far from release (at least 1.5 years if it releases in September next year), so it's in no way a representation of the final game (at least I hope so). I'm looking forward to see the newest state of the battle-system in the coming months! One of the reasons I would have actually liked a FFXV sequel is that the best FF battle-systems were in sequels so far (FFX-2 and LR). They could have incorporated all the feedback and gained experience after FFXV's release.

Yeah, I hear you, and I do understand everything you've mentioned.

Really for me it just comes down to my personal preference. I don't usually like ARPG battle systems because more often than not they're super clunky, have poor flow, poor and unvaried skill diversity (especially when you can button mash your way to victory), shoehorned and poor resource management, and have camera and targeting issues that are rarely ever solved. I'm just not a big fan of them at all, and just the mention of anything being a full-on ARPG is enough to get me completely disinterested in something.

Dr Dogg

First things first I accept no responsibility if something goes wrong with your system or Valve/Square Enix come after you for using CheatEngine. Chances are slim to none but just throwing this out there. Also be careful where you download CheatEngine from if you don't have it installed already as every version I know of now has adware in the installer. Don't click through the install process, read it and make sure when prompted you select Custom Install just to be on the safe side it isn't installing anything you don't want. I've warned you, not my fault if something happens.

Anywho resolution values via CheatEngie. I've tested this briefly on a couple of PCs and asked 2 others to test it and it's worked for them too so this should be relativity straight forward. Bear in mind this has had no most testing than a couple of minutes and I watched the opening cutscenes and did the tutorials to see if any weird behaviour happened but everything worked so far but expect things might not be right at some point.

What'll you'll need is Lightning Returns (obviously), Cheat Engine which you can grab from here http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php and this cheat engine table here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xjXy3EFuy7cDlIcDVfczFWWk0/view?usp=sharing

Right then the instructions are as follows.
  1. Start CheatEngine,
  2. Start Lightning Returns,
  3. Set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to,
  4. In game set display to Windowed,
  5. Set Scale Display Area to No Scaling,
  6. Ctrl+o in Cheat Engine and open the table I've set,
  7. Alter the y and x axis values in the address list at the bottom to what you want,
  8. Go back to the game which has hopefully changed in size and set Display to Full Screen
If all goes well you should be cooking on gas.

The game is constrained to 16:9 so values that aren't that aspect ratio will be squashed or stretched. You can in theory use any values you want but seeing there's no Exclusive Fullscreen support you need to have your system/desktop set to the resolution you want otherwise the window will be bigger than your screen. Obviously increased rendering resolution results in increased GPU usage, don't go crackers more than your hardware can take.

I know this isn't perfect but right now I've got 3 sofa's in my living room and I've got to do something with 2 of them which is going to take up most of my time for a bloody long while but hopefully this will tide you over until someone much smarter and experienced than me puts something together. Enjoy.

Top Bottom