• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

artsi

The game is constrained to 16:9 so values that aren't that aspect ratio will be squashed or stretched. You can in theory use any values you want but seeing there's no Exclusive Fullscreen support you need to have your system/desktop set to the resolution you want otherwise the window will be bigger than your screen.

Alternatively you can set the window mode to full screen (borderless) and set scaling to "standard". I don't recommend "advanced" as it applies some kind of sharpening (= jaggies).

It's still not the very best scaling method it uses, but at least downscaling from 4K or 1440p to 1080p looks nice.

Koozek

Yeah, I hear you, and I do understand everything you've mentioned.

Really for me it just comes down to my personal preference. I don't usually like ARPG battle systems because more often than not they're super clunky, have poor flow, shoehorned and poor resource management, and have camera and targeting issues that are rarely ever solved. I'm just not a big fan of them at all, and just the mention of anything being a full-on ARPG is enough to get me completely disinterested in something.

I see. I understand where you're coming from.

Personally I've LOVED turn-based for most of my life, but after playing the Shadow Hearts and Baten Kaitos series standard ATB-like systems were starting to become boring to me. Then in the recent years I just realized that in most JRPGs, including FFs (and especially FFVII), you could be mashing "Attack" without even looking at the screen 95% of the time outside of boss fights, anyway. At that point I'd rather button-mash with a real-time system that at least feels more involving and not like I'm wasting my time watching animations finish. Isn't the inclusion of Auto-Battle and Speed-Up features in most of the remakes of older FFs or new oldschool-style JRPGs kind of like admitting that most your games' battles are just time-wasters? Do you know what I mean?^^

I now need some form of real-time or twitch-based mechanic in my turn-based systems like in LR, SH, BK, or Paper Marios to keep me engaged and on my toes, as the "strategy" of most JRPGs isn't really more than just a few simple patterns like "use Fire on blue enemy" etc. And after playing JRPGs for nearly 20 years that just doesn't challenge me in any way anymore. See this great post from one of our many discussions about turn-based vs action-based in past FFXV threads:

While I agree with you, I think that problem extends far beyond FF, and to almost every JRPG series.

The much-lauded difficulty of the SMT (and related Persona titles) comes almost entirely from a need to "think", or so people say, but really the vast majority of fights come down to the same sort of rote memorization. There is rarely a reason to not go into every single fight using your weakness-targeting attacks on each enemy, and then buffs/debuffs if you know you need them and/or know the enemy is weak to particular ones.

All of these systems that ignore things like positioning and timing tend to fall into the same position, IMO, and that's one of memorization and repetition being more important than any higher-level thinking or strategy.

It's one of the main reasons I like the move towards real-time, because it add another element of unpredictability.

brau

Some screenies. Game looks real nice in some areas, some areas not so much. lol.

At least it runs really well.
CAB76591CD1056063A1ABBBCB50D0AFCE0D1C317

C3AA9D5723BF08E12D6F3A727ADB9FBE2344895C

Also their settings are so weird.. i set everything to advanced and running it at 4k. At least i don't have to leave to another window to set things up so that is nice.

This game needs Durante.

Also, i wish it had a better camera system. Can't zoom! i wanted to take a look at the cat in the plaza.

EDIT: i hate
Hope

Dr Dogg

Ahh nut's had to be last post on the previous page. Oh well here's for anyone else who doesn't read further back.

First things first I accept no responsibility if something goes wrong with your system or Valve/Square Enix come after you for using CheatEngine. Chances are slim to none but just throwing this out there. Also be careful where you download CheatEngine from if you don't have it installed already as every version I know of now has adware in the installer. Don't click through the install process, read it and make sure when prompted you select Custom Install just to be on the safe side it isn't installing anything you don't want. I've warned you, not my fault if something happens.

Anywho resolution values via CheatEngie. I've tested this briefly on a couple of PCs and asked 2 others to test it and it's worked for them too so this should be relativity straight forward. Bear in mind this has had no most testing than a couple of minutes and I watched the opening cutscenes and did the tutorials to see if any weird behaviour happened but everything worked so far but expect things might not be right at some point.

What'll you'll need is Lightning Returns (obviously), Cheat Engine which you can grab from here http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php and this cheat engine table here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xjXy3EFuy7cDlIcDVfczFWWk0/view?usp=sharing

Right then the instructions are as follows.
  1. Start CheatEngine,
  2. Start Lightning Returns,
  3. Set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to,
  4. In game set display to Windowed,
  5. Set Scale Display Area to No Scaling,
  6. In Cheat Engine open the Lightning Returns process
  7. Ctrl+o in Cheat Engine and open the table I've set,
  8. Alter the y and x axis values in the address list at the bottom to what you want,
  9. Go back to the game which has hopefully changed in size and set Display to Full Screen
If all goes well you should be cooking on gas.

The game is constrained to 16:9 so values that aren't that aspect ratio will be squashed or stretched. You can in theory use any values you want but seeing there's no Exclusive Fullscreen support you need to have your system/desktop set to the resolution you want otherwise the window will be bigger than your screen. Obviously increased rendering resolution results in increased GPU usage, don't go crackers more than your hardware can take.

I know this isn't perfect but right now I've got 3 sofa's in my living room and I've got to do something with 2 of them which is going to take up most of my time for a bloody long while but hopefully this will tide you over until someone much smarter and experienced than me puts something together. Enjoy.

Alternatively you can set the window mode to full screen (borderless) and set scaling to "standard". I don't recommend "advanced" as it applies some kind of sharpening (= jaggies).

It's still not the very best scaling method it uses, but at least downscaling from 4K or 1440p to 1080p looks nice.

Yeah I'm not sure what the exact issue is as it was about half 12 at night when I was playing around with the scaling options in game but something certainly wasn't right with either of them. Looks to be using nearest neighbour scaling and maybe a Gaussian filter in there somewhere but to me it wasn't good enough. Where as I know both my monitors scaler and GPU scaling via Nvidia's drivers is bilinear interpolation so waay better than what's offer in game and you get the benefit of a full resolution screen capturer you can then resample in your image editor of choice.

Jude

Banned
  1. Start CheatEngine,
  8. Alter the y and x axis values in the address list at the bottom to what you want,
  9. Go back to the game which has hopefully changed in size and set Display to Full Screen

Thanks, seems to work perfectly, here is a test at 2560x1440 to 1080p:

23382624100_a26fe94ebe_o.jpg

23678294755_16b149727e_o.jpg

mmh is there a way to hide/make small the hud in combat? its more than 1/3 of the screen...

Goli

I feel like this thread serves only to talk about resolution lol.

Anyway, replaying this game is strange, I'm enjoying it but at the same time the beginning is kinda boring without good abilities. I feel like the game's best part is the middle when you have better abilities and garbs but are not completely overpowered.

Has anyone with an AMD GPU tried this game? I have a 290X (and i5-4690K) so I shouldn't have any issues with this but I haven't really seen anyone with an AMD card commenting in here.

Flandy

Ahh nut's had to be last post on the previous page. Oh well here's for anyone else who doesn't read further back.

First things first I accept no responsibility if something goes wrong with your system or Valve/Square Enix come after you for using CheatEngine. Chances are slim to none but just throwing this out there. Also be careful where you download CheatEngine from if you don't have it installed already as every version I know of now has adware in the installer. Don't click through the install process, read it and make sure when prompted you select Custom Install just to be on the safe side it isn't installing anything you don't want. I've warned you, not my fault if something happens.

Anywho resolution values via CheatEngie. I've tested this briefly on a couple of PCs and asked 2 others to test it and it's worked for them too so this should be relativity straight forward. Bear in mind this has had no most testing than a couple of minutes and I watched the opening cutscenes and did the tutorials to see if any weird behaviour happened but everything worked so far but expect things might not be right at some point.

What'll you'll need is Lightning Returns (obviously), Cheat Engine which you can grab from here http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php and this cheat engine table here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xjXy3EFuy7cDlIcDVfczFWWk0/view?usp=sharing

1. Start CheatEngine,

The game is constrained to 16:9 so values that aren't that aspect ratio will be squashed or stretched. You can in theory use any values you want but seeing there's no Exclusive Fullscreen support you need to have your system/desktop set to the resolution you want otherwise the window will be bigger than your screen. Obviously increased rendering resolution results in increased GPU usage, don't go crackers more than your hardware can take.

I know this isn't perfect but right now I've got 3 sofa's in my living room and I've got to do something with 2 of them which is going to take up most of my time for a bloody long while but hopefully this will tide you over until someone much smarter and experienced than me puts something together. Enjoy.

Yeah I'm not sure what the exact issue is as it was about half 12 at night when I was playing around with the scaling options in game but something certainly wasn't right with either of them. Looks to be using nearest neighbour scaling and maybe a Gaussian filter in there somewhere but to me it wasn't good enough. Where as I know both my monitors scaler and GPU scaling via Nvidia's drivers is bilinear interpolation so waay better than what's offer in game and you get the benefit of a full resolution screen capturer you can then resample in your image editor of choice.

My friend followed these steps and is having issues. Posting the following on her behalf

So I have my desktop resolution set to 3840x2160p. I've triple checked, and my desktop resolution is 100% set to 3840x2160p. I've followed the steps, and when I put 3840x2160p in Cheat Engine, the game has cut off menus, and is zoomed in. However, if I put 2560x1440p in Cheat Engine, the game scales perfeclty. What is odd is, my desktop resolution is NOT set to 1440p. And yet, it scales to that perfectly. Has anyone gotten this to work at 4k resolution? Trying to figure out if it's my Monitor, or if the game itself doesn't support that resolution.

edit: turns out resetting PC fixed it?

Syder

Haven't played an FF game since FFX, nor have I replayed one. I've heard a lot hate for the Lightning trilogy of games but this release has intrigued me and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy it but I have a few questions. Are XIII and XIII-2 essential to play this game? If I haven't played an FF game in many years but am a fan of various JRPGs will I enjoy this game? Is this game... good?

Dr Dogg

I feel like this thread serves only to talk about resolution lol.

Sorry about that :(

My friend followed these steps and is having issues. Posting the following on her behalf

So I have my desktop resolution set to 3840x2160p. I've triple checked, and my desktop resolution is 100% set to 3840x2160p. I've followed the steps, and when I put 3840x2160p in Cheat Engine, the game has cut off menus, and is zoomed in. However, if I put 2560x1440p in Cheat Engine, the game scales perfeclty. What is odd is, my desktop resolution is NOT set to 1440p. And yet, it scales to that perfectly. Has anyone gotten this to work at 4k resolution? Trying to figure out if it's my Monitor, or if the game itself doesn't support that resolution.

Ahh I think that will be due to DPI scaling in Windows. Find the exe in Steam, right click on it, select the Compatibility tab and then check the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings radio box. Finger crossed that's the issue as I had to do it on one setup I tested on.

Rezae

Tried about an hour on my 270x with a 6 year old AMD x3 435, and it runs pretty smoothly at 1080p with most settings on standard. I had framerate at 60. Definitely some dips but seemed constantly above 30.

Compared to the XIII port, much less issues for me. I'll take it.

Flandy

Sorry about that :(

Ahh I think that will be due to DPI scaling in Windows. Find the exe in Steam, right click on it, select the Compatibility tab and then check the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings radio box. Finger crossed that's the issue as I had to do it on one setup I tested on.

Didn't seem to work. Here are some images my friend sent

edit: turns out resetting pc fixed it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very cool that this game has fully Japanese (text/interface/voice) support from the get go. Square Steam releases usually go out of their way to remove this stuff even if they keep in the voices.

The game seems pretty neat, but holy hell what happened to this world? I only finished FFXIII many years ago, and this shit is bananas.

Goli

Haven't played an FF game since FFX, nor have I replayed one. I've heard a lot hate for the Lightning trilogy of games but this release has intrigued me and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy it but I have a few questions. Are XIII and XIII-2 essential to play this game? If I haven't played an FF game in many years but am a fan of various JRPGs will I enjoy this game? Is this game... good?

The knowledge isn't completely necessary but it helps in making sense of the storyline. AS others have said, SE released a few cute little story catch-up videos that may help ease that. You'll probably enjoy this if you enjoy JRPGs since it's very... JRPG-y but set in an (relatively small) open world. The game is good, not the GOAT, but good.

Now that I think about it your lack of knowledge regarding the trilogy may result confusing at first, but it may also actually make the characters less annoying.

L.O.R.D

i suck at this game , killed by a penguin
the buster sword is broken , and take alot of MP and it's useless in front of machines
i should get back to normal equipment

what the best equipment in the start if the game ?

Mepsi

Does anybody constantly have the "Jump over obstacles using B" dialog at the bottom right of their screen. I've had it there now for the last 2 hours of gameplay and don't know how to get rid of it.

Vashetti

Banned
Does anybody constantly have the "Jump over obstacles using B" dialog at the bottom right of their screen. I've had it there now for the last 2 hours of gameplay and don't know how to get rid of it.

Did you jump over the obstacle using B?

Eirulan

Hi there!

I'm searching a good ReShade 1.1 compatible preset with no oversaturated colors, sharpened image.
Does anybody want to share presets?

Kind regards

Zafir

1. Start CheatEngine,

Thanks for this. Worked fine for me.

The only problem is really the cutscenes, where the depth of field seems to render at a lower resolution still. I can live with that though. The story is trash anyway. :p

I don't have access to a decent gaming PC, but man I bet this game is awesome with an actual stable framerate! On PS3 I really enjoyed it but the performance let it down more than a little.

L.O.R.D

ok , the game is very hard
every thing is almost killing me at one hit
and there are many many monsters that are spawning every where

where to get the code of that group i am fallowing ?
also , there is side missions, where i find a guide to finish them ?

Not really enjoying this game as much as the previous entries. I hate this timed crap returning to the ark. Also I think I'm underleveled or something...I'm up the fight with
Noel
and my attacks barely do any damage...all my stuff is basically lvl 1...

jose1

Much improved performance over FFXIII and especially XIII-2. I really like that they added some extra graphical settings. Solid 60fps here with minor stutter as it loads new areas (i5 4690k and gtx970). The advanced settings make a big difference, especially lighting. Really happy with it.

No AA options sucks, but I ended up applying FXAA in the control panel until there is an easier downsampling method.

advanced lighting off:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3bwqefe1mz1hgo/normal%20lighting.png?dl=0
advanced lighting on:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogwvqi6e5c8c8hc/advanced%20lighting.png?dl=0

Is it OK to use the DLC gear from the beginning? The stats look a lot better than the stuff I am using now, and I don't want to make the game trivial.

Corpekata

Banned
Is it OK to use the DLC gear from the beginning? The stats look a lot better than the stuff I am using now, and I don't want to make the game trivial.

I'd say by the time you're heading toward clearing your first area they become comparable, sort of. Kinda just gotta play it by ear really. Like the gear of Lightning from the previous games don't have a huge advantage.

Ricker

ok , the game is very hard
every thing is almost killing me at one hit
and there are many many monsters that are spawning every where

where to get the code of that group i am fallowing ?
also , there is side missions, where i find a guide to finish them ?

Did you start on easy...? dont forget that normal is the hard in this game...

brau

Did you start on easy...? dont forget that normal is the hard in this game...

This is good to know. I am playing it on normal but i have not had any issues with enemies. perfect blocks and stagger. plus 3 suits of armor to swap make it pretty easy so far.

Really like the combat.

Adaren

Game:

Getting the "button tap" damage bonus timings down is really difficult. It's like it changes slightly every time. It's also different between attacks and magic. Different animations within each type seem to have different timings as well. This is way harder than pulling off something like Knightsguard in FFXV. That shit is consistent, even with the performance problems of Duscae. Anybody got tips?

I wish I knew a guaranteed method to keep Light from using time wasting finishers, other than maybe switching schema continuously.

Only Guard is consistent... literally a split half of a handful of frames right before the attack. Which normally wouldn't be much of a problem...if this was an action game. Unlike Noctis in FFXV, Lightning's handling isn't nearly as twitch. From inputs, to animations, to actual implementation - everything has a windup. You have to anticipate everything ...which makes you tweak out more, increasing your fuck ups. Doesn't help that enemies have similar looking animations and can trip you up by extending an attack without warning...Anubis...Zaltys has a fricking immediate swipe that has no telegraph.

Hit boxes are weird. AOE's have hitboxes that come out even before animations, at least in overclock mode.

Perfect Attacks
The "Perfect" Attack window is 1/10 of a second for normal attacks. It's tight. You won't do it consistently without lots of practice. I'm pretty sure the rhythm is the same for the common attack animations though (I was able to pick up the controller yesterday and do a 4-in-a-row without having played the game in 1.5 years, which was pretty surprising considering how much I used to suck at them!).

Don't get frustrated if it takes you a while to get it, though! It's only a +20% damage boost for most attacks, so it really is more of a small bonus than a necessity. The input is right when Lightning can start her next attack; you can use her attack sounds to find the right rhythm, though you obviously can't rely on that entirely because of Lightning's attack lag as you mentioned.

---

Finishers
The "time wasting" finishers do have a noticeably longer animation than your average attack. However, they also do significantly more damage and cause much more Stagger/Stagger Time. Additionally, they cost the same amount of ATB as a normal attack.

If you're going for pure damage, then cancelling the animations with Schemata/ability changes can be a slight gain (particularly in Overclock). However, if you're either A. trying to Stagger the enemy or B. limited by ATB, then doing the Finishers is better than cancelling.

Ricker

This is good to know. I am playing it on normal but i have not had any issues with enemies. perfect blocks and stagger. plus 3 suits of armor to swap make it pretty easy so far.

Really like the combat.

I was fine on normal until I reached a certain Boss...now I admit I didnt understand the combat 100 % but I was doing okay until then...not saying people wont prefer the challenge and all on normal but if you are struggling with regular mobs,easy is the way to go...normal is for like NG + .

Koozek

Not really enjoying this game as much as the previous entries. I hate this timed crap returning to the ark. Also I think I'm underleveled or something...I'm up the fight with
Noel
and my attacks barely do any damage...all my stuff is basically lvl 1...

You got to do sidequests to level up stats. The bosses were really hard. Probably the hardest main-story bosses in any FF.

Top Bottom