• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

LordK

I was able to swap schema meshes so you can change the costume portion while keeping the actual schema.

6hoyyPf.jpg

Dr Dogg

I feel they mixed up standard and advanced. Though I also think the "advanced" one should not even exist.

Well in some backwards mindset they are kind of right. I mean No Scaling doesn't scale anything. Standard uses what ever scaling method either your system or display would use (pretty much bilinear scaling for everything) and Advanced, despite being the worst out of the lot is a bit of effort on SE part to include it as it's not something done in most PC titles at all. Fucked up thing is the title that could use it the most was FFV which is a DotEmu job that had arbitrary resolution support for a pixel art based game and used your systems method of scaling ie bilinear scaling. What's really frustrating is that this is a title you'd want fixed size resolution increases and nearest neighbour resampling to preserve hard edges. I bet FFVI is going to have the same problem when it gets released on Friday. Every day is opposite day when it comes to PC ports of Final Fantasy games.

What values are you modifying in the executable? I've modified the two 1920x1080 strings and the ones with the 1.9.2.0.x.1.0.8.0 format and it still just goes to 1080p.

Thanks!

I was going to wait until I've figured out what's going on with DoF and found the offsets for all the resolutions in the exe (got 1280x720 and 1366x768 pinned down) but Rainhard on the Steam hub has listed the 1920x1080 offsets as 6C7968-69 for 1080 and 6C7976-77 for 1920. So if you use a hex editor and goto offsets 6C7968 and 6C7969 you'll see values 38 and 04 which is hex in reversed byte order for 1080. Conversely the same for 6C7976 and 6C7977 which will be 80 and 07 for 1920.

So 2560x1440 would be 00 0A at 6C7968-69 and A0 05 at 6C7976-77
3840x2160 would be 00 0F at 6C7968-69 and 70 08 at 6C7976-77
5120x2880 would be 00 14 at 6C7968-69 and 40 0B at 6C7976-77
If you need any other resolution values, the calculator in Windows set to programmer is a doddle to convert decimal numbers to hexadecimal values.

Of course if the executable gets patched this won't work any more but unless the way resolutions are handled get changed they should be pretty easy to find again.

LordK

I was going to wait until I've figured out what's going on with DoF and found the offsets for all the resolutions in the exe (got 1280x720 and 1366x768 pinned down) but Rainhard on the Steam hub has listed the 1920x1080 offsets as 6C7968-69 for 1920 and 6C7976-77 for 1080. So if you use a hex editor and goto offsets 6C7968 and 6C7969 you'll see values 38 and 04 which is hex in reversed byte order for 1080. Conversely the same for 6C7976 and 6C7977 which will be 80 and 07 for 1920.

So 2560x1440 would be 00 0A at 6C7968-69 and A0 05 at 6C7976-77
3840x2160 would be 00 0F at 6C7968-69 and 70 08 at 6C7976-77
5120x2880 would be 00 14 at 6C7968-69 and 40 0B at 6C7976-77
If you need any other resolution values, the calculator in Windows set to programmer is a doddle to convert decimal numbers to hexadecimal values.

Of course if the executable gets patched this won't work any more but unless the way resolutions are handled get changed they should be pretty easy to find again.

Awesome. Thanks. I figured it'd be the actual integer values but didn't want to go on the journey of finding every 1920/1080 and messing around with them.

This really saved me a ton of time. Thanks :)

Dr Dogg

Awesome. Thanks. I figured it'd be the actual integer values but didn't want to go on the journey of finding every 1920/1080 and messing around with them.

This really saved me a ton of time. Thanks :)

No worries. The offsets I found for 1280x720 are 6C7A68-69 for 720 and 6C7A76-77 for 1280. Might be better for general use as most aren't going to use that resolution anyway.

Oh trust me when I first had a look at it I got 17k results back from 1920 so I tried to pin the region down by finding the value with the least results which was 1366 at 300 odd and even that was a pain of trial and error. Haven't had to do anything like this since the days of 4:3 locked resolutions and trying to get widescreen resolutions going.

Mat-triX

I understand that Lightning Returns is a better port than FFXIII & XIII-2 given the 60 fps, but if i'm fine with playing both those games at 30 fps, are they good? Better than the PS3 version?

Peff

I understand that Lightning Returns is a better port than FFXIII & XIII-2 given the 60 fps, but if i'm fine with playing both those games at 30 fps, are they good? Better than the PS3 version?

All three can be 60fps, actually. The issue is that XIII and XIII-2 have a weird glitch wherein the UI causes tremendous strain for many systems, ranging from framepacing problems to straight-up sub-10 framerates. If your PC is relatively new, you can still brute force them and play them smoothly for the most part, and you'll have a huge IQ advantage thanks to the higher resolution and downsampling.

LR on the other hand has worse resolution options (though fortunately it can be unlocked) but it is much, much better optimized. It runs at 60fps even on dual core systems, and it makes a tremendous difference versus either console.

In any case, you're very likely better off with PC for FFXIII and XIII-2 unless yours is quite old, in which case you should probably get them for PS3, but for LR it's the best version, hands down.

Mat-triX

All three can be 60fps, actually. The issue is that XIII and XIII-2 have a weird glitch wherein the UI causes tremendous strain for many systems, ranging from framepacing problems to straight-up sub-10 framerates. If your PC is relatively new, you can still brute force them and play them smoothly for the most part, and you'll have a huge IQ advantage thanks to the higher resolution and downsampling.

LR on the other hand has worse resolution options (though fortunately it can be unlocked) but it is much, much better optimized. It runs at 60fps even on dual core systems, and it makes a tremendous difference versus either console.

In any case, you're very likely better off with PC for FFXIII and XIII-2 unless yours is quite old, in which case you should probably get them for PS3, but for LR it's the best version, hands down.

Does FFXIII or XIII-2 have any problems running at 30fps?

Thanks for this info. I've played XIII and XIII-2 on my X360, but then I sold the console and now the PC port is my only chance to see how the story ends. I'm too busy with Xenoblade Chronicles X right now, so I'll probably wait for a sale... do the Final Fantasy XIII games ever go on sale on Steam?

Peff

Does FFXIII or XIII-2 have any problems running at 30fps?

Provided your PC can handle it, nothing particularly remarkable, no. Some people suffer from microstuttering but in most cases plugging in a controller seems to fix it.

Thanks for this info. I've played XIII and XIII-2 on my X360, but then I sold the console and now the PC port is my only chance to see how the story ends. I'm too busy with Xenoblade Chronicles X right now, so I'll probably wait for a sale... do the Final Fantasy XIII games ever go on sale on Steam?

They do, but not often. SE seems to be trying to limit FF sales to the big event ones, and they skipped the last one for some reason, but other storefronts like Greemangaming or the Humble store usually have them on sale more often.

Someone finally made a tool for resolution unlocks.
Somebody discovered proper offsets for .exe patching, as not everybody has or wants to use hex-editors i've quickly put together a tool that does that for you.

For now it only supports replacing 1920x1080 with other 4 digit resolutions, since other resolutions will require removing or adding to the executable, which may or may not work.
For now, enjoy the initial release.
Kudos to whoever found the offsets.

Steam discussion

Dr Dogg

Someone finally made a tool for resolution unlocks.

Hang on a sec? If you check that posters history you can see this thread on the Steam hub.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/345350/discussions/0/487876568238580113/

See post no 10? See it's the same poster? See they link to http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189225803&postcount=802 ? Now that looks familiar. I feel like I'm being watched. If only they looked 2 posts down they could have used the offsets I posted for 1280x720 which I doubt most will ever use.

Dr Dogg

Until we can use Gedasoto, is there a way to fool DSR into enabling 8k for 1080p montiors?

Should work even without DSR active (after all you're telling the game to render at a predefined resolution rather than an available system resolution). If you set Display to Full Screen and Scale Display Area to Standard it will use bilinear scaling that way. You could go as crazy as you want but you wont get full resolution screen shots as what will be saved will be at your presentation resolution, ie system resolution.

Ludens

Banned
I have a question: how do you start the end-game?
I'm on Day 4 and I did this:

-defeated Snow, did almost all sides in the city except the Nectar MKII and Fortune's Teller ones
-defeated Noel, did all quests except two, requiring to spend several days to talk with characters
-defeated Caius, cleared Sazh main, a lot of side-quests missing here
-in the dune location I only activated two cactuar stones and defeated Afro-cactuar, I need to do everything, including all main and side quests

I don't want to play just to discover I triggered the end-game, with no possibility to clear remaining side-quests.

Also, how can I power-up weapons and accessory?

I have a question: how do you start the end-game?
I'm on Day 4 and I did this:

-defeated Snow, did almost all sides in the city except the Nectar MKII and Fortune's Teller ones
-defeated Noel, did all quests except two, requiring to spend several days to talk with characters
-defeated Caius, cleared Sazh side, a lot of side-quests missing here
-in the dune location I only activated two cactuar stones and defeated Afro-cactuar, I need to do everything, including all main and side quests

I don't want to play just to discover I triggered the end-game, with no possibility to clear remaining side-quests.

Also, how can I power-up weapons and accessory?
Pretty sure Sazh wasn't a side, going off the guide I'm using.

And it seems like you gotta clear the main quests in each area, then just do shit or wait until the final day.

Ludens

Banned
Pretty sure Sazh wasn't a side, going off the guide I'm using.

And it seems like you gotta clear the main quests in each area, then just do shit or wait until the final day.

Sorry, yeah, it's a typo, I know it isn't a side (I also wrote you about it yesterday on Steam).

LordK

Should work even without DSR active (after all you're telling the game to render at a predefined resolution rather than an available system resolution). If you set Display to Full Screen and Scale Display Area to Standard it will use bilinear scaling that way. You could go as crazy as you want but you wont get full resolution screen shots as what will be saved will be at your presentation resolution, ie system resolution.

The reason I'd want to fool DSR is so I could take 8k screenshots instead of the down samples screenshots though.

I just got past the first day and have a question.

After going back to the Ark and getting some more cutscenes, I teleport back down and it sends me to The Warren at 6:00. I find one of the code numbers on the wall and fight some random enemies. But when I try to leave, both doors out of that area are closed from 0:00 to 6:00, and it is currently ~7:00 in my game.

What do I do? I can't find any other ways out. Is there a fast travel or way to get back to the Ark manually and choose another destination?

Dr Dogg

The reason I'd want to fool DSR is so I could take 8k screenshots instead of the down samples screenshots though.

Ah right I see. Well DSR wont sadly as it uses multiples of your displays native resolution. You might be able to use a borderless window tool that allows you to resize the window to any size you want (like Simple Runtime Window Editor) but that's always been a bit more miss than hit as it only works on very few titles.

L.O.R.D

I just got past the first day and have a question.

After going back to the Ark and getting some more cutscenes, I teleport back down and it sends me to The Warren at 6:00. I find one of the code numbers on the wall and fight some random enemies. But when I try to leave, both doors out of that area are closed from 0:00 to 6:00, and it is currently ~7:00 in my game.

What do I do? I can't find any other ways out. Is there a fast travel or way to get back to the Ark manually and choose another destination?

strange they send you to the Warren , usually it's the last place you should be
you just have to wait or try to grind and do some side quests or you can sleep till 0:00

strange they send you to the Warren , usually it's the last place you should be
you just have to wait or try to grind and do some side quests or you can sleep till 0:00

I didn't see an option to choose where to go. I just went to the warp in the Ark, triggered a cutscene
where you encounter the Lumina girl and Lightning realizes it may be her sister
, then immediately saw the wormhole loading screen and then to the Warren.

Should there have been a screen to specify my teleport location?

Ludens

Banned
So, I'm on Day 5 and I already completed all main missions, all sides on the first city (except two, I need last step for one of those and to do the second totally), all sides except two in Yusnaan, 5 quests out of 8 in Dunes (but I read you can complete one of those only in NG+), a lot of sides in the plain, but I don't know if I'll bother.

The game is probably the best XIII game, but it's not a good FF:
-first, the plot is garbage. Really. It's totally useless, considering
ALL main missions you do except one have ZERO consequences. Noel wants to kill you? Ok, you defeat him, he changes his idea. Snow is dying? You HUG him, the power of love save him. Caius needs to be killed? No, you can't do that, he keeps resurrecting. You find the ark to save Vanille? Yeah, but it's stolen two secs after you find it.

Really, this is garbage, considering
the plot is simply: save people, take Eradia, save Serah.

Side-quests: it's nice having the opportunity to do some sides, some of them are nice (I won't say good, because the plot of almost all of them, excluding something, is again very dumb). The boring thing is you need to costantly change the time in order to get/do a side or access the proper location.
To do so you need to find a hotel, so backtracking. Than, you need to teleport, and travel again by foot to the proper location, because there are not so many teleport points.

So in the end doing a simple side becomes a tedious task.

And this lead to the last point: you can't do all sides in the first playthrough. SE did the same with FFIV AY, FFIV, and of course here if you want check all contents you need to start a new game, repeat all main missions, do the side unlocked. You can't even upgrade your equipment in your first play.

I'm having fun playing the game, in example the
temple in the desert was a nice variation, it reminded me temples from FFX.

Exploring the desert was nice (but again, why the game doesn't provide you a chocobo here, so you can move fast?), the plains are very nice too. But the plot itself is awfully written and bland,
you meet characters from other games, nobody gives a freak about you. Sazh and his son, man, that arc is boring. Three games, and Sazh always do the same thing. How do you identify Sazh? Simple, he is the dude trying to save/protect/awake his son. I even skipped XIII-2 DLC when I saw I needed to do mini-games in order, guess what, to save your son. Bah. Lightning has the personality of a brick. Also everytime I see Dajh, I can't stop laughing because it reminds me an italian (well, I don't know if it's italian only or even in the rest of the world) doll, they used to do so many spots when I was a kid: Cicciobello

Falk

that puzzling face
Side-quests: it's nice having the opportunity to do some sides, some of them are nice (I won't say good, because the plot of almost all of them, excluding something, is again very dumb).

Come on, don't you appreciate the pure literary genius of
"This flower blooms only once in 500 years BUT WOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE IT JUST SO HAPPENS YOU'RE AROUND TO WITNESS IT!!!" And then an NPC who studies flowers also conveniently happens to be around. Nope, not stacked odds at all

KainXVIII

Game looks legit good with 4x SGSSAA, but framerate dips heavily to 30 fps (in cutscenes with closeups), even on GTX 970 =(

Goli

For people who did the main quests and most side quests, the truth is there's not much to do other than either sleeping the days away at an inn or trying to kill all enemies, however you should know that you have to opportunity to skip the whole 'defeat literally every single enemy in the game' thing in the optional dungeon unlocked at the end where all last ones/omega versions are available to fight right away.

HeelPower

Come on, don't you appreciate the pure literary genius of
"This flower blooms only once in 500 years BUT WOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE IT JUST SO HAPPENS YOU'RE AROUND TO WITNESS IT!!!" And then an NPC who studies flowers also conveniently happens to be around. Nope, not stacked odds at all

lol the pen sidequest in luxerion.

Honestly its nice that they tried.FF hasn't had any sort of extensive sidequesting before,so its kind of a first in the series at where the quests and NPC conversations make up the a majority of the game.

But yeah they're nothing amazing ,some are decent ,some are bad and some are fun.(The silly sidequest with the fortune teller was LOL)

Ain't no Witcher tho.

BONKERS

I'm going to say no.
Play the PS3 versions. Even with their framerate issues.

ESPECIALLY XIII since a huge portion of the game is In-Engine FMVs.
Until we can use Gedasoto, is there a way to fool DSR into enabling 8k for 1080p montiors?

Yes. Though you won't get 8K evenly. 4x4 (16.00x) will get you close enough
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5121671&postcount=3088
Game looks legit good with 4x SGSSAA, but framerate dips heavily to 30 fps (in cutscenes with closeups), even on GTX 970 =(

Really? Are you sure your card isn't downclocking? Or is the game just that badly optimized?
A 970 should ace that. My 980 with 4x barely seemed to break a sweat. At least in the intro area.

You could also try changing the DoF back to the Standard one and play with the lighting/shadowing to standard see if that helps at all.

KainXVIII

Really? Are you sure your card isn't downclocking? Or is the game just that badly optimized?
A 970 should ace that. My 980 with 4x barely seemed to break a sweat. At least in the intro area.

You could also try changing the DoF back to the Standard one and play with the lighting/shadowing to standard see if that helps at all.
Maybe its badly optimized indeed, i need to double check. But framerate dips on characters closeups, after i arrive to Yusnaan for example (maybe hair rendering is so demanding?) and check DoF settings.

ss_lemonade

Lightning Returns is about $14 at greenmangaming at the moment using the voucher coupon 23PERC-WTHGMG-ADVENT

Eh, I was wondering why was the game's framerate shitting in the city. Turns out I forgot to remove the 8xSSAA from AMD Catalyst -__-

Young Magus

Sorry to ask but can anyone here gift the U.S code for me?

Asking because I only have access to the JP version and my skills are....alright to say the least.

Will pay via paypal or gift card

XDDX

Sorry to ask but can anyone here gift the U.S code for me?

Asking because I only have access to the JP version and my skills are....alright to say the least.

Will pay via paypal or gift card
I'm in NZ but it's the same version of the game as the US so I'm happy to help if that works for you.

KainXVIII

Maybe its badly optimized indeed, i need to double check. But framerate dips on characters closeups, after i arrive to Yusnaan for example (maybe hair rendering is so demanding?) and check DoF settings.

So yeah, game not very good optimized, even without 4x SGSSAA i still get little framerate drops in this cutscene (on characters closeups), but not to 30 fps, of course..

artsi

What's the betting display resolution is just another 5 hardcoded options instead of full arbitrary values?

Personally I would be set if they add in 1440p and 4K resolutions, but I hope they'll think further and do the right thing.

rsniper59

Neo Member
Been playing through Lightning Returns a lot in the last week. I'm constantly surprised with just how much I'm enjoying the game! Maybe it's recency bias, but I truly think it has the best evolution of "ATB" system and best combat in the entire series.

I've completed the main quests for the Dead Dunes, Luxerion, and most recently the Wildlands. The boss battle at the end of chapter 3-3 was one of the toughest, but most thrilling boss fights I've ever faced. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the game plays out!

Loving the Passion Rouge + Warrior of Peace + Spira Summoner Schematics I have working together right now.

Top Bottom