• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Dr Dogg

I don't know if it's because out of the 3 this is the one I've least played and never finished or because of the goofy setting and premise but I'm oddly more inclined to take my time and explore everything in Lightning Returns. Though I've got a lot of games on the go at the time so hopefully my interest keeps up.

Thanks for this. Worked fine for me.

The only problem is really the cutscenes, where the depth of field seems to render at a lower resolution still. I can live with that though. The story is trash anyway. :p

Yeah definitely doesn't alter every buffer. Did find some other values that altered but only found one axis and would need to go through it again to pin them down for sure.

I mean as I said this is far from ideal but considering how quick things were up and running and it pretty much works for everyone who's tried it for the interim it's sort of ok. Ideally Square will look at the crazy issue they've caused and rework arbitrary resolution support back in but I won't hold my breath.

BONKERS

Hope this game sells more since it's at an amazing price point. Only 1k in-game though :(
They dont' deserve jack shit for how they've treated FFXIII on PC

Especially now since LR requires SC and an online connection to play AT ALL>
. If they patch LR, fix it's problems. Then go back and massively patch the first two. I'll reconsider my point.

But this is SE they don't fucking care about their customers. They are out for a quick buck and nothing more.
A long line of shitty low effort low budget ports from 1998 doesn't harm their image catastrophically like a huge big budget failure like the original FFXIV would. Plus they aren't losing millions of dollars per month in subscription fees from these.

They don't understand the concept of support and patching outside of very few exceptions.

Depends on your PC really. I had no issue running both at 60 FPS.

I sincerely doubt you did. Just because you didn't notice the framepacing issues. =/= they aren't actually there.
Any decent PC could give you the facsimile that it was running at 60FPS. But it's not the case at all. Especially in battle.

That's not to mention the myraid number of problems with both XIII and XIII-2 aside from the framerate.

TheTux

For all those who want infinite stamina: google "lightning returns Cheat engine table" and you'll find varius cheats, including unlimited stamina.

I believe there are also cheats to edit the time.

poncle

Careful with freezing time, can easily crash or freeze the game.
Just disable the cheat if the game appear to be frozen. To be on the safe side, it' better to just get some extra EP and use chronostasis.

Since tri-Ace put their hands on the game somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if messing around with the ram might seem innocuous at first, just to yield some game breaking glitches later on in the game. People who tried to ram hack Valkyrie Profile 2 know that pain.

Since tri-Ace put their hands on the game somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if messing around with the ram might seem innocuous at first, just to yield some game breaking glitches later on in the game. People who tried to ram hack Valkyrie Profile 2 know that pain.

Any Tri-Ace game. Those people should be writing security scripts for the military/governments or something lol.

Debating on whether to use DLC schematas or not in my first play through. From what I've read they make the game ridiculously easy early on. On the other hand, Cloudning, Lightning Croft and Lightna.

I don't know if it's because out of the 3 this is the one I've least played and never finished or because of the goofy setting and premise but I'm oddly more inclined to take my time and explore everything in Lightning Returns. Though I've got a lot of games on the go at the time so hopefully my interest keeps up.

I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 but 5 hours into LR and not really liking it that much. Do not like the timer, the way stuff unlocks, no party system. ATM, I'm apparently locked into this one area where the gates don't open to 12pm. TBH, I'm not sure I feel like playing anymore. Guess I'll check out some other areas in the game and do some side quest but meh...just not liking it.

Thoraxes

I sincerely doubt you did. Just because you didn't notice the framepacing issues. =/= they aren't actually there.
Any decent PC could give you the facsimile that it was running at 60FPS. But it's not the case at all. Especially in battle.

That's not to mention the myraid number of problems with both XIII and XIII-2 aside from the framerate.
When I get data again, I'll upload some videos for ya. It was harder to get with XIII-2, but super easy with XIII.

L.O.R.D

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

after all that time , i got burned by a major spoiler
i went to a site to search for side quest guide
and they put how to defeat the final boss ( they put his name on the main page of the guide )

Khal_B

Mentioned it on the previous page, but certain areas of the game are very dark for me, is there any way to adjust the brightness in this game?

Parsnip

Has anyone made a Playstation button mod yet?

Not yet, but I imagine the button mods from previous games will transfer over painlessly as soon as the patching tools are updated.

Hopefully we'll also get someone to mod in higher resolution hud elements.

Bought the game and installing, both past games have been a dissapointment and I don't expect this to be much better, but I kinda just want to be done with the trilogy.

And see all that Hope x Light goodness

Anteater

fuck you guys i bought it

i haven't even finished xiii-2

this port better be good because if not...

.. I'll complain about it on gaf

Darak

I should have done better research before purchasing this one. The time limit completely ruins it for me. Some people led me to believe there is plenty of time to relax and enjoy most of the content without even thinking about the timer, but that is not true at all. You constantly need to optimize your actions, grind resources to slow down the timer, carefully plan your days in advance, keep multiple saves just in case, etc.

I don't enjoy this kind of gameplay, at all. Reading this reviewer who lost his 30 hours save due to the time limit and was forced to restart the game from the beginning sent shivers down my spine.

Scrawnton

This releasing on PC reminded me that I never played it. I ordered the PS3 version off amazon for real cheap. Excited for it to come in so I came finish off this series.

TheTux

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

after all that time , i got burned by a major spoiler
i went to a site to search for side quest guide
and they put how to defeat the final boss ( they put his name on the main page of the guide )

Square spoiled the final boss before the game was released lol :p

Syder

I should have done better research before purchasing this one. The time limit completely ruins it for me. Some people led me to believe there is plenty of time to relax and enjoy most of the content without even thinking about the timer, but that is not true at all. You constantly need to optimize your actions, grind resources to slow down the timer, carefully plan your days in advance, keep multiple saves just in case, etc.

I don't enjoy this kind of gameplay, at all. Reading this reviewer who lost his 30 hours save due to the time limit and was forced to restart the game from the beginning sent shivers down my spine.
Would you be opposed to using Cheat Engine? I'm sure there's a CT somewhere that can freeze time.

Following up, further into the game and the wide-open areas it has held up great. Battle-wise, as expected the slowdown in some infamous moments like the Sahagin/Dunes fights on 360 is not there. Sand is now being obnoxiously splashed in Lightning's face at a solid 60fps. PC is i5-4460, 8gb, GTX 750ti, btw.

And after I remembered the D/X input switch (d'oh) on the Logitech F510 the predefined button placements are fine. So the game looks, runs and controls very nicely.

Darak

Would you be opposed to using Cheat Engine? I'm sure there's a CT somewhere that can freeze time.

I'm not sure, it will probably break the game in some way as everything in the game seems to be designed around that clock. IIRC someone warned about freezes and other issues.

Has anyone completed a full playthrough with the cheat on?

Game runs great for me, but no matter how many times I switch the default menu type to "controller" it always defaults back to "keyboard." I'm playing the game with a DS4 through DS4Windows for reference. I know the game's controls so its not too big of a deal in combat, but anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: nevermind. Changed the settings during the game's settings itself and not in the title screen settings and it works now (albeit xbone controls, but hopefully a mod drops for that soon enough).

Yeah I platinumed the game but at least in the first 30-40 hours I was under constant pressure. It was really hard to enjoy anything in the scenery in this game for me because of the time limit. I had a strict order of stuff I need to do in all the maps and in all the time of days (dawn, noon, night etc.). I grinded for those time stopping points all the time. It was a real headache... and then I had nothing to do in the last 3 days (!!!). I remember I just stood there stupified and advanced the real time clock for like 2 in-game days.

So I think you could relax a bit if you wanted to. But it would be real hard w/o a guide.

The game would have been tons better w/o the time limit.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not sure if I agree - I think the time limit helped set the overall tone for the game.

I definitely agree it's probably not how a lot of people want to play the game, but objectively better is up for debate. The narrative wouldn't function nearly as well without the clock constantly ticking down.

(Also, on Easy you pretty much have infinite Chronostasis. Probably could have been tweaked to be slightly even more lenient, but whatever)

Not sure if I agree - I think the time limit helped set the overall tone for the game.

I definitely agree it's probably not how a lot of people want to play the game, but objectively better is up for debate. The narrative wouldn't function nearly as well without the clock constantly ticking down.

(Also, on Easy you pretty much have infinite Chronostasis. Probably could have been tweaked to be slightly even more lenient, but whatever)

Maybe you are right, Falk. I have this personal preference that I just dislike anything gaming related on a time limit. I know it helped the narrative in FF13-3 but it had negative impact on the enjoyment of the overall game if you get what I mean. There was this constant "rush, rush" voice in my mind that got priority over sighseeing, enjoying the music and the million lines of dialogues.

Adaren

I probably would have preferred the game sans time limit, but I think it added some fun in planning / optimizing as well. Moving around the world becomes part of the gameplay instead of a chore.

I finished my first playthrough around Day 7. All side quests completed (except for one small one that I walked right by and missed) and all Omega monsters hunted. Normal Mode; no walkthroughs. Just make liberal use of Chronostasis and do your quests in a logical manner.

And in case I sound braggy, I still found the game to be pretty darn hard (but not so much as to feel unfair or impede my enjoyment). The time limit wasn't part of that difficulty, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
The only thing that really bugged me about the way the game was structured honestly are the omegas and the req to do them for the bonus dungeon. Some of the monster types for that (hi Dead Dunes skeletons) made the game a little too grindy, even/especially on NG+

L.O.R.D

lol , even Lightning hate Chocolina

Sj4jyLj.jpg

this should be used as meme.

HeeHo

If you're worried about the timer, don't be. Spam Chronostasis. I tried to do damn near everything in the game with the exception of beating an optional dungeon, but even then, it would've provided the EP I would've needed for Chronostasis.

I had to literally sleep 6 days off at the inn to get to the end.

Does anyone have a good guide for this? I have limited time to play games other than the one I work on these days, and don't really want to go around every nook and cranny to make sure I'm not missing some side quest with an important item or new garb to play dress-up with.

Most guides I've seen split story and side quests. Would like something that has them all in the same walkthrough so I can just do things step-by-step.

Realise it's probably not the spirit of the game, but still. Just looking for a low maintenance way of seeing everything I can in the game while I have some time.

Dimmle

I've heard this game has a structure and "living" world similar to Majora's Mask. If I love Majora's Mask for the time system but disliked FFXIII's world building, is there any chance I could find an unexpected favorite here?

Alucrid

Banned
is there any way to unlock the costumes you would get from the demo / having 13 and 13-2 saves?

edit: nevermind, saw it. nice that it's all there unlocked

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does anyone have a good guide for this? I have limited time to play games other than the one I work on these days, and don't really want to go around every nook and cranny to make sure I'm not missing some side quest with an important item or new garb to play dress-up with.

Most guides I've seen split story and side quests. Would like something that has them all in the same walkthrough so I can just do things step-by-step.

Realise it's probably not the spirit of the game, but still. Just looking for a low maintenance way of seeing everything I can in the game while I have some time.
This one looks decent.

Mohasus

Play on easy, also he didn't lose 30 hours because you keep stats and equipment (rewards from side quests). So you'd have to redo the main quest which is fairly short on its own.

I finished everything during day 7 or 8.

ss_lemonade

Does the game work well with an Xbox One controller? Menu prompts in XIII and XIII-2 don't seem to work properly with an xbox one controller unless I install a different set of drivers through the device manager. Using the driver labeled "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" instead of "Xbox Controller" makes it work, but turns the triggers into a single axis, breaking a ton of other games in the process.

Vex_

Banned
Definitely my favorite look for Lighting.

The original is alright too though.

What is wrong with her legs ffs? Especially in the 2nd pic. They look like wet noodles.

Does the game work well with an Xbox One controller? Menu prompts in XIII and XIII-2 don't seem to work properly with an xbox one controller unless I install a different set of drivers through the device manager. Using the driver labeled "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" instead of "Xbox Controller" makes it work, but turns the triggers into a single axis, breaking a ton of other games in the process.

Well I can only say that my ds4 works flawlessly when I am under ds4w (which perfectly emulates an xbawks controller). So it should work for you too.

Prompts and everything.

Top Bottom