• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

strideramc

Ill take this one.

dead-7.gif

thanks

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash Kappei said:
So I've just finished installing my new home cinema projector (Sony SXRD Vpl-HW15 1080p) along with my new HD scaler processing box (Cinescaler HD) and fired this game up for the very first time a couple of hours ago... and it blew me away. I'm not saying everybody has to experience the game like this, obviously, but man this one floored me even without the shiny gfx (but I'm a sucker for artsy art) and bombastic 7.1 sound.
Going to take a few pic with my shitty cellphone (which will fuck up all the colors no matter what) and will post them in a bit.
Thread's in limbo anyway (eh!), so I guess nobody wil be bothered by the pics (just a few Kb anyway).

Be back in a bit!

So yeah, sorry for the fucked up color correction in most of the pictures but you know how it is with shitty cellphone pics. The game's real colors are close to those of pic#2.
Obviously to get it right I have to play with the lights out, the washed out contrast are a result of me having the lights on since the cellphone camera doesn't have a flash, lol.
Nontheless I think that in a couple of the pictures you can still get an idea of what it looks like.
Bear in mind that I've just finished this new home cinema's set-up and all, so there are a lot of wires and unfinished touches here and there.
But the star's just the game here, LIMBO's definitely sits in my XBLA's TOP5 table and I'm glad I can play it with this new gear, since it improves on what was a fantastic experience already.

wu2kk6.jpg

9tk5ea.jpg

2vnmanq.jpg

binhgl.jpg
51szdk.jpg

2udusfo.jpg

2ug1mr7.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
Just bought and beat this in one sitting (4 hours).

Is anyone else getting fed up with these Art games? Don't get me wrong, this is a nice game that looks absolutely amazing, but other than that it's quite shallow. Theres barely any replayability (as expected with art games) and the ending didn't really leave me feeling satisfied.

I don't see why they (developers) place all their eggs in one basket (the initial playthrough). Once you "get it", after you complete the game, theres very little reason to play again. Those extra items to collect don't really have much point to them either. They don't really add much to the game besides getting the achievements.

I don't regret my purchase, but i am disappointed that i'm not going to play this game again. Just like Braid. Just wanted to vent i guess.

Banned
BreakyBoy said:
Just played through the game two nights ago. I've been fooling around with the game, trying to get faster and maybe try to get through it without dying once. Got bored and made these. I might make more, as I've got plenty of footage.

Avatar-sized if anyone wants them, but please re-host these if you're going to use them. I can't guarantee these will be available on the server forever anyway.

dead-1.gif
dead-2.gif
dead-3.gif

dead-6.gif
dead-7.gif
dead-8.gif

dead-8.gif

I take this one. Thanks, and re-hosted.

Doodis

ezekial45 said:
Just bought and beat this in one sitting (4 hours).

Is anyone else getting fed up with these Art games? Don't get me wrong, this is a nice game that looks absolutely amazing, but other than that it's quite shallow. Theres barely any replayability (as expected with art games) and the ending didn't really leave me feeling satisfied.

I don't see why they (developers) place all their eggs in one basket (the initial playthrough). Once you "get it", after you complete the game, theres very little reason to play again. Those extra items to collect don't really have much point to them either. They don't really add much to the game besides getting the achievements.

I don't regret my purchase, but i am disappointed that i'm not going to play this game again. Just like Braid. Just wanted to vent i guess.
I look at it the same way I look at paying to see a movie. It's the same price per hour. I don't re-watch most movies, but I still enjoy seeing most of them. Only once in a very great while will I see something more than once.

So, no, I don't personally have an issue with having a great one-time experience with a game such as Limbo.

You know, this game is scaring me more than any survival/horror game I've played on consoles! :lol

It's the giant spiders! They play with my emotions and genuinely creep me out!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Doodis said:
I look at it the same way I look at paying to see a movie. It's the same price per hour. I don't re-watch most movies, but I still enjoy seeing most of them. Only once in a very great while will I see something more than once.

So, no, I don't personally have an issue with having a great one-time experience with a game such as Limbo.

I agree, I used a similar example for 'Flower' when people were criticizing it's replay value, I really don't mind it being a 'short' experience as long as it's a good one, during my 4 hours of game-play I lost count at the amount times I gasped or shook my head with a smile in amazement at some of the set pieces and mechanics, I can probably count on one hand games that give me that much emotional feedback.

Doodis said:

I'm on your side here, really I am; but I was thinking about it earlier too ... 15 bucks? When I rent movies for $3 or ever $1? Brand new DVDs can be had for five bucks, and even some blu-rays are $1o nowadays if you shop around.

I dunno ....

$10 was/is such a sweet spot, $15 games by and large have always brought with them some disappointment. BF: 1943, after all this time, is probably still the only $15 game I've been completely satisfied with; all the rest have been passable at best, including Limbo.

Edit: Not to mention, I bought Mass Effect for $18, Mirror's Edge for $10, and Dead Space for $14. But Limbo and Briad are $15? Like I said, $10 was such a nice sweetspot ...

But then, I bought Limbo, didn't I? footinmouth.gif :lol

ezekial45

Banned
Doodis said:

I disagree. With movies at the theater, you're getting the movie, comfortable seats, massive screen, and the loud sound system all for $8-12.

With games like this, your spending premium download costs just for the game, nothing else. Usually, i'd get a lot for that kind of cost from other games.

lowrider007 said:
I agree, I used a similar example for 'Flower' when people were criticizing it's replay value, I really don't mind it being a 'short' experience as long as it's a good one, during my 4 hours of game-play I lost count at the amount times I gasped or shook my head with a smile in amazement at some of the set pieces and mechanics, I can probably count on one hand games that give me that much emotional feedback.

I still haven't played Flower, but i have a feeling that it'll turn out the same as Limbo. I played the demo, and it's certainly interesting, but i'm sure if i want to put down $15 for a game that i know that i'll only play once.

I guess it's just preference. Replayability is a BIG deal for me, and these Art games just don't concern themselves with that.

Anyway, i should probably just make a new thread about this. I don't want to bog down the thread.

lowrider007

I think as with a lot of things in life it's only really worth as much as you feel it's worth, we all get different levels of feelings/experiences from different games/activities, I think a game like Limbo in particular due to it's 'artistic' nature can be a priceless master piece for some and ok game for others.

For me personally if I had to equate the experiences and emotions I got from playing Limbo into a monetary value it would be very hard, but I can assure you it's a lot more than 15 dollars, the main reason I play games are for escapism, and usually the level of that escapism dictates whether I even finish the game and how I judge it's worth, for me, gaming is all about those rare moments where a game can completely captivate you and whoosh you away into a different emotional plain.

I bought this game last week and im probably around 3/4 of the way though, like it so far. Here's what I dont understand, everyone, including reviewers, giving the game the a break on it not really having a story. (I know we can argue there is one, but it's not really there) These same people though will criticize games for having a cliche story or a bad story and it will become a big negative for the game. So why is limbo getting such a free pass?

lowrider007

bucknuticus said:
I bought this game last week and im probably around 3/4 of the way though, like it so far. Here's what I dont understand, everyone, including reviewers, giving the game the a break on it not really having a story. (I know we can argue there is one, but it's not really there) These same people though will criticize games for having a cliche story or a bad story and it will become a big negative for the game. So why is limbo getting such a free pass?

You say they (the reviewers) will criticize games for having a cliché or bad story but yet you agree Limbo has neither, so I guess that's why, personally I think you could argue that Limbo needed a story as much as it needed to be on colour.

lowrider007 said:
You say they (the reviewers) will criticize games for having a cliché story or a bad story but yet you say Limbo has neither, so I guess that's why, personally I think you could argue that Limbo needed a story as much as it needed to be on colour.

What im saying is what if those games that had the bad or cliche stories had no stories, or one as transparent as limbo. Odds are it would be held against them, im not saying I dont like Limo, I think its a good game. I just dont get the free pass it's getting.

stupei

bucknuticus said:

When have (remotely credible) reviewers ever criticized a fighting game for not having an interesting story? They don't care because it's not what that game is about. Limbo isn't about its story or anything that came before; it's about being in the moment. Playing the game, you understand that immediately. It doesn't try to be something it's not. Games with a shitty cliche storyline that the game wants you to take seriously are doing exactly the opposite of that.

lowrider007

bucknuticus said:
What im saying those is what if those games that had the bad or cliche stories had no stories, or one as transparent as limbo. Odds are it would be held against them, im not saying I dont like Limo, I think its a good game. I just dont get the free pass it's getting.

I think a lot of it is due to the artistic nature of the game, not having a 'conventional' framework for a story in this type of game can be seen as a plus rather than a negative, I personally think it made the game a lot more atmospheric.

JRW

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
For me, I felt 1200pts was a bit much, but it was still worth it if you know what I mean.

I know that sounds like a contradiction, but the game is very good.

I think the biggest disappointment with Limbo is how crazy short it is, I cant remember the last time I finished a game on the very same day of purchase, but I guess there's a first time for everything :D

lowrider007

unomas said:
Tempted to try for the no point in dying achievement, just not sure if I want to torture myself ;)

Been thinking about going for it myself, having that one achievement left is so annoying,
but that last chapter can be a pain in the bum sometimes in terms of timing jumps.

jarosh

not reading a single post in fear of spoilers.

just a quick question: can you just exit the game at any time and resume from where you left off? there don't seem to be any "visible" save points and the game doesn't exactly explain well, uh, anything... i don't have to finish this in one sitting, right?

Noogy

jarosh said:

just a quick question: can you just exit the game at any time and resume from where you left off? there don't seem to be any "visible" save points and the game doesn't exactly explain well, uh, anything... i don't have to finish this in one sitting, right?

Yes, it autosaves between every little event. I'm not sure if this affects the whole-game-in-5-lives achievement, though.

jarosh said:

Yeah checkpoints are pretty much everywhere. I would recommend quitting out to the title screen before you shut the game down just to be on the safe side.

stuminus3

I finished this game a couple of weeks ago and I still have no idea how I actually feel about it. It's kind of frustrating. Did I like it? Do I hate it? :lol

Grug

stuminus3 said:
I finished this game a couple of weeks ago and I still have no idea how I actually feel about it. It's kind of frustrating. Did I like it? Do I hate it? :lol

Yeah, I was captivated at first, thought it was pure art, but the second half of the game is simply not as inspired as the first, and it is too short. You don't feel like you have survived something epic at the end.

Honestly feels like stuff was cut out of it due to time/funding constraints. The fact that some areas seen in pre-release screenshots are not in the final game speaks to this.

Grug said:
Yeah, I was captivated at first, thought it was pure art, but the second half of the game is simply not as inspired as the first, and it is too short. You don't feel like you have survived something epic at the end.

Honestly feels like stuff was cut out of it due to time/funding constraints. The fact that some areas seen in pre-release screenshots are not in the final game speaks to this.
Definitely agree with this part. The
city and factory
parts didn't have much personality.

I finally finished it (a certain puzzle with a
gravity lift button
had me for probably an hour or two) and I loved the hell out of it. The ending is amazing and dawned on me about half way through it happening. What a phenomenal game - can't wait to find the secrets now and go for the deaths achievement. SO MUCH WIN. :D

jarosh

just finished it

goty

although it's a shame the second half doesn't come close to anything in the first half, despite the more elaborate and pretty clever puzzles.

Ledsen

So more than a month after release, I find myself regretting I even bought this game. It's so short and forgettable, I don't even consider it one of the better gaming experiences I've had this year, and I probably won't ever replay it either. I think I would've gotten as much enjoyment out of the demo (which contains the best part of the game) as I did from the full game. The strongest feeling this game has given my is annoyance at the fact that I now have to buy additional MS points to buy The Ballad of Gay Tony. How do you feel in retrospect, GAF?

Ledsen said:
So more than a month after release, I find myself regretting I even bought this game. It's so short and forgettable, I don't even consider it one of the better gaming experiences I've had this year, and I probably won't ever replay it either. I think I would've gotten as much enjoyment out of the demo (which contains the best part of the game) as I did from the full game. The strongest feeling this game has given my is annoyance at the fact that I now have to buy additional MS points to buy The Ballad of Gay Tony. How do you feel in retrospect, GAF?
I'm sorry you feel that way. Personally I thought it was worthwhile overall. As a game length/value proposition it's terrible, I'll admit. But as an experience there's literally nothing else like it. As I get older and have been playing video games most of my life, I can appreciate games that are more experimental and artistic. I will agree though the beginning of the game is the best part, it's unfortunate that it gets less interesting as you go on.

jarosh

Ledsen said:
i thought it was a remarkable and very memorable experience and i certainly don't regret buying it. quite on the contrary. frankly, i don't understand many modern gamers' obsession with "replayability" and length. i've played so many 15+ hour games that i barely remember. limbo is the complete opposite of forgettable to me. it was unlike anything i've ever played, both visually and aurally - and i've played my share of so called "art games". its setting and mood are unique and perfectly evoked and realized, a rarity in gaming. i was captivated from the moment i gained control of the boy - to my own surprise, as i had fairly low expectations going in. if only the second half wasn't so much more sterile and conventional i'd be seriously considering calling this one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

J-Roderton

jarosh said:
i thought it was a remarkable and very memorable experience and i certainly don't regret buying it. quite on the contrary. frankly, i don't understand many modern gamers' obsession with "replayability" and length. i've played so many 15+ hour games that i barely remember. limbo is the complete opposite of forgettable to me. it was unlike anything i've ever played, both visually and aurally - and i've played my share of so called "art games". its setting and mood are unique and perfectly evoked and realized, a rarity in gaming. i was captivated from the moment i gained control of the boy - to my own surprise, as i had fairly low expectations going in. if only the second half wasn't so much more sterile and conventional i'd be seriously considering calling this one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Agreed. It didn't have to be long to be good. The difficulty is what made me love it along with the "atmosphere" and "art direction." Good buy and I actually have had more than one play through. Great one. That and it was damn fun.

alterno69

Banned
BOught the game yesterday an played for around 2 hours, what an amazing game it is. I really care for the life of my little dude even if there's basically no penalty for dying, those fucking spiders :lol

I'm just past the sewers? or whatever the level with the pipes and flooding is called, guess i'm close to the end, loving it.

robor

Just wanted to say that besides Riff: Everyday Shooter, Limbo has displayed the best video game music I have ever heard. No shit. Ever. You can't play what you hear in this game to a film, it is more cyclical and does not follow a linear progression as such. It's grandiose without trying to be "cinematic" (we're playing a game here, not watching a film) and it makes the game more engrossing for it.

As for replay value, it comes from understanding the story to be FOUND in the game. If it seemed shallow, does that mean it actually is? Or is there more to it? If we want stories to have intrinsic meaning in games we have to allow such things to be fragmented, so we, the participator, can seek out to find and discover.

Just beat the game

beautiful game, but no way in hell it should be $15. The ending where he finds the girl and it just ends, I thought was a ending that fit the game

nib95

Banned
Anyone know if Limbo is going to be part of the Xmas specials? Just bought Lara Croft half price (600 points) and was hoping I could add Limbo to the list!

Well I just finished it. Great game over all. But I was disappointed that I thought up a better end right before it finished.
When I broke through the pain at the end and floated to a stop I thought 'OH SHIT ITS STARTING ME BACK AT THE BEGINNING!' Not what happens though. It would have been far more memorable if it was an endless loop. The only way to break it was to actually get to the girl that one time you see her in the middle of the game.

It didn't really communicate the whole sister thing that well. Didn't find out about that till I looked at stuff online.

FreedomFrisbee said:
Well I just finished it. Great game over all. But I was disappointed that I thought up a better end right before it finished.
When I broke through the pain at the end and floated to a stop I thought 'OH SHIT ITS STARTING ME BACK AT THE BEGINNING!' Not what happens though. It would have been far more memorable if it was an endless loop. The only way to break it was to actually get to the girl that one time you see her in the middle of the game.

It didn't really communicate the whole sister thing that well. Didn't find out about that till I looked at stuff online

this x100

Jay Sosa

Finally beat that fucking game!

Thanks for letting me die a trillion times Playdead!

Seriously, this game would have been one of my favorites ever if it wasn't for that god awful trial and error bs, already hated that in Splosion man (hey you have a bout on millisecond to make this jump ore else you'll die! Isn't that fun?)

But what pissed me of the most was
the part at the end where you have to press the action button in mid air, after sliding down the roof..HOW IN THE WORLD AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS? I figure out all the puzzles by myself just to have to look up a FAQ after all because of this shit?

So please Playdead, do me a favor and use this beautiful engine/artstyle to make a relaxing puzzle game in which I don't have to worry about dying every 2 seconds because I can't see shit when everything is in black and white..

Yes I know I'm a pussy and should give up gaming.

EDIT: Just to make things clear, I liked the game but a lot of the death traps just seemed to be there for the sole purpose to piss the player off and I hate that.

jgkspsx

I have three chapters left to go. For the graphics and music/sound effects alone, it would be one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

But the gameplay is outstanding as well: it feels a bit like a point-and-click adventure game rended as a platformer, and as such it's far more successful than, say, Psychonauts (damn arrowheads). But I've been continuously pleased at the responsiveness of the controls and the physics/behavior of the character. I almost always feel that he's doing what I'm making him do.

I really like the "trial and death" approach to gameplay. It's certainly memorable, invariably shocking, and yet always a bit amusing. Also, you're rarely penalized more than a minute of gameplay.

I don't get the complaints about replayability at all. What do people want, collectables? A little black and white gun and enemies? I really enjoy how fluid the control feels, and to perfecting my technique. I'm looking forward to trying to get the 5 death achievement, even if I never manage it.

I do feel that $10 was a better pricepoint than $15. I think I would have been satisfied if I had gotten it at full price, though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, about the game and the ending...

Are those "other kid bodies" I use through out the game... myself?

The ending screen is the title screen, the last part of the game is pretty much a throwback to the beginning of the game...

I'm not even debating if they're both dead, this is limbo (which is kinda implied now, right?) or what , but those other kids bodies could be very well your bodies. From the many times you went through the levels, forever.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm a few hours in, why did I wait so long to play this game?! It's amazing, I'm loving every second of it and don't want it to end.

heavyness

Loved the game. And for anyone who thinks $15 is to much, just think of it this way; you are guaranteed one maybe two more games from these guys (hope they go on to make many more games).

Support the studios and they will return that support.

An excellent game.

Once the meaning of the ending was told to me (I was too lazy to sit down and think about it, admittedly), I really dug it.

It's so sad, though.

FlightOfHeaven said:
An excellent game.

Once the meaning of the ending was told to me (I was too lazy to sit down and think about it, admittedly), I really dug it.

It's so sad, though.

What is the best explanation for the ending? I didn't put too much thought into it when I reached the end except "wow that was short".

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally got around to playing this gem and it's great. Somehow, each time I die is kinda scary. Every damn time.

Can't wait to put in a couple more hours this weekend.

I'm playing through this for the first time as well. I think the game was a steal for 600 MSP. Maybe I'm stupid, but the puzzles are the perfect difficulty. They slow me down, make me think. Might have to try different things 5-6 times on the harder ones, but then I figure it out and keep going. No need to consult walkthroughs or FAQs (unlike Braid, which had puzzles that were downright frustrating). The forgiving checkpoints are also wonderful and keep the frustration level down.

Futureman

This game was the shit. I love Braid but OH GOD it was annoying reading through this thread where every other post compared it to Braid.

Laughable that people don't think this game is worth $15.

AS FAR AS I KNOW, there was a concept trailer released for this game at E3 a few years ago. Anyone know if that trailer was based off of some programming/coding with a game engine behind it, or was it literally just a short animated movie and then they designed the game engine around that teaser?

Any interview out there with the team who made this?

Top Bottom