• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

I wonder if I should get this. I couldn't finish Braid because of the difficulty. And this is supposed to be harder? Fuck that. But everybody loves it. There were levels in Braid that I tried for hours until I caved in and looked at youtube videos to see the solution wasn't even supposed to be obvious. I preferred Machinarium's approach to solving puzzles. Is Limbo more like Machinarium than Braid?

FrankT

ultron87 said:
So this is this year's Braid?

Likely close. All lined up for the new page. I tried to get most the reviews I've seen and those posted so far in here.

Destructoid 10
Gamer Limit 10
Gamesradar:10
Console Arcade 5/5
Giantbomb 5/5
G4 5/5
Joystiq 5/5
Planet X360 9.6
Nowgamer 9.4
EDGE 9
Gamepro 9
Gamespot 9
Eurogamer 9
IGN 9
Game Informer 9
Strategy Informer 9
Ars Tech: Buy
DigitalChumps: 8.8
GT 83
Eurogamer Italy 80
1up: B

Metacritic 92 (point behind Braid atm);

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/limbo

Actual Gamesradar review 10;

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/l...010071914334335033/g-20100311161349744034/p-2

Gamepro 9;

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/215856/limbo/

Joystiq;

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/19/review-limbo/

IGN video review here;

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/..._071610.html;jsessionid=9g2gor10q1nrp?show=hi

Helmholtz

I currently have 200 points leftover from previous purchases. Should I just buy 1000 points off xbox.com or is there a cheaper way to do it?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The "3 hour" mention in the GT review alarmed me. But people here are saying that's wrong. I'm gonna have to wait and see what more people say after launch. 3 hours is a bit short for 15 bucks, IMO.

Davedough

Emerson said:
The "3 hour" mention in the GT review alarmed me. But people here are saying that's wrong. I'm gonna have to wait and see what more people say after launch. 3 hours is a bit short for 15 bucks, IMO.

I've beaten it and I logged just shy of 7.5 hours. YMMV, but I think 3 hours is ridiculous.

seady

I am excited about this game, but from the video preview I have seen, they whole game seems to be based on trial and error.

xbhaskarx

Wow, even better reviews than I expected. I love XBLA games like Braid and Winterbottom so I'll probably skip the demo and just by it straight away.

xbhaskarx

Shurs said:
You'll love it. Though there is no time manipulation in Limbo.

Right, I have avoided watching videos and reading articles/reviews, but I'm assuming it has puzzles like Braid and Winterbottom?

Davedough

xbhaskarx said:
Right, I have avoided watching videos and reading articles/reviews, but I'm assuming it has puzzles like Braid and Winterbottom?

It's all one seamless puzzle after another for the entirety of the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like the internet will be going bonkers over this one, kind of the Braid of 2010.
Will get this weekend. : )

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh man, look at those glowing reviews... :D

Can't wait to see this game running in all of its creepy glory on my screen!

No doubt about it, it's XBLA's Braid of 2010 again, and I enjoyed the hell out of that game to the point that I got stuck on a puzzle and refused to look at any hints or guides, and didn't touch it till a year later when the mood was right, and beat it. Savoring the game like fine chocolate.

CiSTM

Banned
I can't get pass how fantastic this game looks :) Don't currently own a Xbox so can't yet play it but some day I will. Looks and sounds too good to pass.

Only thing that really troubles me is the trial by error deads. Seems that this game has whole lot of 'em. I kinda had my plate full back in the 80s and early 90s when I was hooked on Sierra adventure games but still some day, some way, I'm going to play this game.

Wizpig

Meh, I had to buy 500 points because I only had like 1000 and not 1200

Can you also buy European points from the Zune marketplace? what's the smallest amount you can get from Zune?

/off topic

ACE 1991

definitely picking this up when I get home from spain, but i fully expect to use the hell out of guides... I´m terrible at puzzles =(

This game is so, so good.

I love how what should be the two biggest GOTY contenders, LIMBO and Super Mario Galaxy 2, are both in the same genre yet they could not be any more different than they are. Videogames are amazing.

GDJustin said:
Eurogamer states 3 hours as well.
I did it in about that, but there's way more to see, and achievements to get, repeat playthroughs. It's not a game you'll play through once and then ignore, no way.

A speed-run leaderboard wouldn't have gone amiss though.

surly

Banned
Is this game launching at midnight on Live? There's a countdown for Limbo on Xbox.com that's currently at just over 10 minutes to go.

Top Bottom