• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

big_z

snap0212 said:
Played about 40 minutes of it. I don't find it creepy at all, but it seems like a solid game. Not sure if it's worth the $15, though.

$10 would have been the perfect price imo. the game reminds me of some indie flash games like coma... still i bought it at full price to support games like these.

Tonza

shibbs said:
Is this game also out in Europe? Or are arcade game always released simontaneously?

It was there for me. (Finland)

Couldn't find it in new releases but top downloads had Limbo listed. (had to go all downloads for the game since it didn't prompt me for the trial/game in the first page)

Peff

It's not "officially" out yet, there are delays today probably because of Destination Arcade, but the Singapure version is region-free and has the translations and everything.

xbhaskarx said:
Hoooly shit some of these deaths are brutal :lol

Yeah and they leave them on the screen for a few seconds longer than you'd expect to make you feel uncomfortable.

It's also rad that there's no loading or levels. It makes the game fairly hard to put down because you're constantly onto the next puzzle.

Genesis Knight said:
From what I can tell I'm not sure I want to day1 it. How long do you guys think it will take to be discounted?

Possibly Holidays, or next year's Summer of Arcade. I assume it will drop 33% down to $10, but still, another $5 shouldn't break anyone's bank. That's how I look at it at least. I think it's way worth the money.

Dabanton

Melchiah said:
Any news/rumors about PS3/PC release?
"We are only launching the title on XBLA," said Playdead's Dino Patti to Joystiq. "You won't see a PS3 or PC version this time around, sorry." Patti also said he's "not sure where the mistake was made" in the ESRB having the game listed for the PS3 and PC, but Playdead has already requested the ratings board remove the platforms from their ratings listing.

Though with anything i'd say give it a year and then see what happens.

bryehn

Normally I love this type of game, but that demo was a solid "meh" for me. No d-pad option so no arcade stick :/

Everything is too slow for me, just can't get into it.

Definitely waiting for a sale price

xbhaskarx

I wish there was an N-style suicide button, considering only two buttons are used. I was at the end of the
platforms that are slowly flooding
and each time I got it wrong I had to wait until I drowned.

Keyser Soze said:
http://s3.tinypic.com/2mq11zp.jpg

I just got to this.

Turnstyle said:
Yes, arcade games are always available to people called Simon.

He's in Europe so English is probably not his first language...

Shurs

bryehn said:
Normally I love this type of game, but that demo was a solid "meh" for me. No d-pad option so no arcade stick :/

Everything is too slow for me, just can't get into it.

Definitely waiting for a sale price

I don't get the d-pad complaint. First of all, it's not a precision platformer where you have to make perfect jumps. Secondly, who in their right mind wants to use the 360's terrible d-pad?

What's funny about the deaths is that I too was initially shocked at the gruesomeness but at the end of the game, after I had died a hundred times, I barely noticed them.

xbhaskarx

Keyser Soze said:
http://s3.tinypic.com/2mq11zp.jpg

Okay the bit with the second worm is totally freaking awesome. :D
When you drown at the top of the ladder because you're facing the wrong way, it just sort of clicks...

Seriously guys, stop asking for help with puzzles, you'll regret it. And it's only just come out, you can't have been stuck for much longer than five minutes before coming here stuck.

Stop.

Think.

If you can't solve it, stop playing and come back to it later. Solving the puzzles is the game, if you're not going to do them yourself, you may as well just play a game where you just walk left to right and do nothing.

If you do need help, don't be so quick to come here and ask for it, nobody should be that desperate yet.

xbhaskarx

snoopeasystreet said:
It's also rad that there's no loading or levels. It makes the game fairly hard to put down because you're constantly onto the next puzzle.

There is no loading but
there are levels or at least different areas: first is the woods, then industrial, then a city rooftop, not sure after that because that's all I've seen.

I penciled in today because I was just wanting a day off, and then like a frickin' adult, because nothing really important was happening for me to NEED a day off, here I am.... sitting at work like a sucker. : / Cant wait to get home and download this. Look forward to reading impressions all day from work! :lol

WWWHAT?

I just had to
drag a drowned corpse up a hill and throw it into a pit so it could get crushed, to solve a puzzle.

Is there a rating higher than M?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there a rating higher than M?

ratingsymbol_ao.gif

xbhaskarx

Just passed the
elevator
, brilliant, that will drive some people crazy. Now stuck at the
mosquito, I assume I'm supposed to ride this thing by the legs but it's too fast...

StevePharma said:
Playing this makes me want Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet even MORE !
My current (no scheduled release date) XBLA wish list:
Fez
ITSP
Ilomilo

xbhaskarx said:
Just passed the
elevator
mosquito, I assume I'm supposed to ride this thing by the legs but it's too fast...

Stuck at the same part, I can't for the life of me see what I am supposed to do.

But fuck me this is a great game, controls are great, visual style is amazing and the use of gray tones is so well done. The best thing about the game is when you finish a puzzle, you feel so god damn smart after you have done it, which is probably its greatest achievement.

This is the Danish way to rock.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just put the game down for the time being after playing it for 3.5~4 hours, and it's such a great experience. I've just reached the
electrified hotel sign
after completing the
back-and-forth brain parasite puzzle where you have to flood the room

The atmosphere is simply amazing, the puzzles are rather well done and I love how it evokes a desire to keep on pushing through just to see what's next. What's more, there's a sense of wonder about the world I'm exploring that I haven't really felt since my first time with Super Metroid.

Easily the best game of its type since Braid.

I am stuck. Spent two 30 minute periods trying.

It's at the part where you first find the switch where
the gravity switches upside-down for the two boxes in the gravity field
and I think you need to get at least one box up the slope so you can reach the ladder.

HELP!

xbhaskarx

Vinterbird said:
Stuck at the same part, I can't for the life of me see what I am supposed to do.

I got it!
You have to edge forward as far as you can in the water, and then jump for the mosquito and press B.

Peff

ashbash159 said:

and I think you need to get at least one box up the slope so you can reach the ladder.

HELP!

Hehe, that puzzle is awesome. I'll give you a hint
the slope to the right of the switch is VITAL

Gowans

ashbash159 said:

HELP!
Me too

Edit: got it! Blind!!!

Rad-

Not really a spoiler at all but just in case:

Finished it (I think :lol ) but my completion rate only says 78%? Are there secrets of some sort? Some people have over 100% in the leaderboards.

Anyways, I guess I could put some sort of mini review here:

Pros:

Amazing atmosphere. There are many parts that feel creepy and disgusting but totally in a good way.

None of the puzzles ever felt too annoying. Usually when I have to play a certain part even twice, it makes me crazy. But in LIMBO, they really nailed the difficulty.

My favorite parts were when
the platforms started spinning. Really gave an epic feeling.

This is small but I liked how the movement felt. There was just something very soothing about it.

Cons:

It's short. Took me 3½ hours. This is missing the extra stuff though, just the main run.

I liked how the dramatic music started playing at some parts, more of that would've been nice...

That's about it. Overall I'd give it 9/10 and definitely top 3 downloadable games this gen. Gets up there with Braid and Shadow Complex in my opinion. If you don't buy this, you are a crazy person.

Now a small break and then to
find the missing percents.

Peff

Rad- said:
Not really a spoiler at all but just in case:

Finished it (I think :lol ) but my completion rate only says 78%? Are there secrets of some sort? Some people have over 100% in the leaderboards.

Yep, the
secret shiny things that are hidden around are a 2% each.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Played about ten minutes of the trial until I hit a glitch where my kid died but it wouldn't reload me, so he just laid there dead.

The game is definitely great, but I can't buy anything else right now. Like many others in here I'll pick it up when it goes on sale.

xbhaskarx

Whoever designed this is such a punk...
see the girl, assume you're at the end, find out you're not, climb up the gears, see the girl's shadow above you, get there and...
:lol

Captain N

xbhaskarx said:
Just passed the
elevator

you can go into the water and walk very very slowly and it won't move and just run when you are ready to jump and grab its leg.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm at the part with the box and the water that fills up after you flip that switch, cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Help.

Captain N

sprsk said:
I'm at the part with the box and the water that fills up after you flip that switch, cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Help.

the first one?

you need to get the box under the first platform that you can move and then run and climb the ladder.

Rad-

xbhaskarx said:
Whoever designed this is such a punk...
see the girl, assume you're at the end, find out you're not, climb up the gears, see the girl's shadow above you, get there and...
:lol

Wait what? My game ended right where he sees the sister. I couldn't move my character and then it went to menu. God dammit, second playthrough, here I come.

Or what percent you at? I don't remember seeing the girl before the ending.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Captain N said:
the first one?

you need to get the box under the first platform that you can move and then run and climb the ladder.

I don't think that's the one, there are no movable platforms, just the box I can move and the switch that starts the water

Oh, well there was my problem.

xbhaskarx

Rad- said:
Wait what? My game ended right where he sees the sister. I couldn't move my character and then it went to menu. God dammit, second playthrough, here I come.

Maybe you are further along? You couldn't
move your character
because
the worm gets in your head (that's what happens at the part I was at)
or for other reasons?

Top Bottom