• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Karting |OT| Start Your Cerebral Engines

A new menace threatens Craftworld!
Read that as Crawford. I need Ep.5...

On topic, nice OT! I was looking forward to this but lost track of the coverage along the way (there was to little, maybe?). I like racers a lot and the LBP IP is cool for me, so this looks like something me & my sister would enjoy.
Weird reviews, though. Will wait for more impressions.

Hanmik

iYAekpX944NJz.jpg

lol

there is a livestream here..

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/11/06/littlebigplanet-karting-gameplay-livestream/

RagnarokX

Pros
Creation Possibility
Solid GoKarting

Cons(lol)
Not enough explosions
too hard
where are the kill streaks

Their cons list is fucking shameful

Real Cons:
Cheap shots ( what Karting game these days does not have cheap shots)
Empty levels (make your own then and access the large quantity after release)
Lack of excitement (Not enough explosions)

lol, those are some pretty shitty cons.

RagnarokX

let me guess. they didn't finish. assume game is like the first few stages and it's short and they rely on the community to the levels and as of right now it's at its infancy. will it be big as LBP. Also Quality > Quantity? .

Quality is usually greater than quantity, but luckily they aren't mutually exclusive and with a game like this where the community can make levels there will be plenty of both. IGN is just trying to prove that you can't spell a certain word without them.

Reviews are already all over the board. 9's, 8's, a 7 and a 5. Due to being the hardcore LBP fan I am though, I'm liable to err on the side of the more positive reviews once I play it.

Mario007

let me guess. they didn't finish. assume game is like the first few stages and it's short and they rely on the community to the levels and as of right now it's at its infancy. will it be big as LBP. Also Quality > Quantity? .

Miller is a huge ModNations Fanboy and spends a lot of the time in review complaining about how LBP stealing Modnations from him.

test_account

XP-39C²
How is the speed in the game compared to Modnation Racers? I played the beta of LBP Karting and it felt a bit slower. Did they change this?

test_account

XP-39C²
The track creators set the speed of the track.
Cool :)

How does the online work? Are there fixed tracks like Modnation Racers has? Or is it like LBP where you just choose between community levels, maybe some "Dive In" option (where it joins some random tracks where people are playing)?

RagnarokX

Man, that IGN review reads like someone that hasn't played the game or has an agenda. Let me respond to some points:

When it comes to actually racing, LittleBigPlanet Karting features some polished mechanics, but it's just not that exciting. Some tracks have crazy turns and sharp visuals, but most feel empty and forgettable, with long stretches of just driving and trying to nab the occasional score bubble. Like most kart racers out there, you drift around corners to get a quick speed burst, pick-up items to use them as weapons, and basically do whatever you can to end up in first place.
Modnation Racers had mostly terrible forgettable tracks on the disc. Hell, LBP1 and 2's retail levels aren't that great. The big draw of these games are the create modes and user-generated content.

I love kart racers and understand that cheap shots are a part of the genre, but I can't remember the last kart racer I played that frustrated me as much as LittleBigPlanet Karting does. There are a number of issues here. I'd deploy items like the Boxing Glove or Fast Forward Button (both of which propel you forward on the track), and I'd be slammed into obstructions at the end of the animation that instantly killed me. When I'd respawn, I'd be invulnerable for a few seconds, and as soon as that ended, I'd be blasted with a missile from a computerized foe and have no way to defend myself as I had just used the item I had equipped -- the item that led to my death and my subsequent spiral into last place.
Learn the tracks and use your items strategically. The same issues happen in Mario Kart; you can totally screw yourself if you use a mushroom or a bullet bill in the wrong spot. At least in this game you can block EVERYTHING, even the blue shell-type weapon.

But then we get into the game itself. When you best a race or a battle, a versus level version of that trial will pop up on the world. This is the one you'll use to play people online, but when you start unlocking the side missions and mini-games, the planets become overloaded with content and look a bit like a confusing snake's nest. Why not just have the one level ask me if I want to go online and race other people?
Because the story-mode versions of the levels have friggin cutscenes in them and have customized rules specifically for single-player.

This setup is one of LittleBigPlanet Karting's major flaws. Whereas ModNation Racers gave you an online ranking system to level-up in and an easy way to dive straight into races, LittleBigPlanet Karting doesn't. There's no online section from the main menu and no carrot on the end of the stick outside of individual race leaderboards. If you want to play online, you have to click on Story, the planet you want and then the race you want. After you've finished a match, you can vote on what track to tackle next.
In Modnation Racers, career (single player), splitscreen, and online multiplayer were all separate hubs. You'd have to exit one to go to another. In LBP you can just choose the online version of a level directly from story mode, or visit the community section for all the community levels; all of which allow you to choose to play alone or online upon selecting just like in LBP.

The system doesn't feel competitive. It doesn't put competition front and center, and that's what kart racers are all about. You want to dive in and mix it up with the weapons, ramps and shortcuts United Front Games have created, but the way the game is setup makes it seem like the story of LBP Karting is the focus and the multiplayer is just something that's there.
Uh... you unlock stuff for coming in first place... plus you come in first place, you know, beating everyone? You need to come in at least 3rd place to progress the story. And there are online leaderboards. And then there's all the friggin online stuff where you beat other people.

Seriously, this is one of the worst reviews for a game I have ever read.

5 from IGN? The hell? Simply based on how good the beta was I can't imagine this could actually be a 5.

Though my interest has hovered away from this and more towards Sonic Whatever Something Racing 2.

A.R.K

Sounds like IGN wanted it to be MNR 2. When MNR came out everyone wanted it to use LBP characters and design.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't...sony just can't win.

SykoTech

Is there going to be a demo of this? Was too distracted by the Battle Royale beta to give the beta for this game a fair shot.

Pros
Creation Possibility
Solid GoKarting

Cons(lol)
Not enough explosions
too hard
where are the kill streaks

Their cons list is fucking shameful

Real Cons:
Cheap shots ( what Karting game these days does not have cheap shots)
Empty levels (make your own then and access the large quantity after release)
Lack of excitement (Not enough explosions)

oh, look who didn't read the review. let's do what you've done :D

(what Karting game these days does not have cheap shots) "I love kart racers and understand that cheap shots are a part of the genre, but I can't remember the last kart racer I played that frustrated me as much as LittleBigPlanet Karting does."

(make your own then and access the large quantity after release) "I'm sure the dedicated players out there are going to come up with some fantastic stuff if LittleBigPlanet Karting finds an audience, but the creations I played on the test servers didn't inspire confidence."

(Not enough explosions) "Some tracks have crazy turns and sharp visuals, but most feel empty and forgettable, with long stretches of just driving and trying to nab the occasional score bubble."

spats

5 from IGN? The hell? Simply based on how good the beta was I can't imagine this could actually be a 5.

Though my interest has hovered away from this and more towards Sonic Whatever Something Racing 2.

Now it's starting to become clear why they're not marketing it!

Meier

I played it this weekend at Fun Fun Fun Fest and it's not particulary good, but not terrible. If you don't have a Nintendo system, it's probably worth a shout. Graphics were rather unimpressive.

RagnarokX

I just 100%'d the game. There are some really really good tracks here; Serpent Shrine, Emperor's Got No Clue, World's Fair In Love and War, and The Funkhole (and Beyond?) are the standouts. Tracks have way more creativity to them and are much more visually stimulating than MNR's career tracks.

Raonak

Banned
0 advertizing + elections + big releases surrounding it.

Probably the next game I pick up.
Didn't like modnation, but love LBP.

Think part of that is because people like me need a neogaf thread bumped from page 10 to be reminded that this game exists.

I liked the beta and will probably pick this up soon. But dang, no advertising whatsoever.

I can't create anything decent in LBP but always loved that I had tons of incredible options to choose from, I hope those creators haven't forgotten as well.

Does the game have framerate issues or are they fixed?

Frame rate, sense of speed and the driving model are all improved from the beta. The game is absolutely wonderful.

I loved the beta but I'm blown away by the full game. And these story mode tracks are great. Greg Miller was way off the mark with his review, IMO. I disagree with nearly everything he complains about.

didn't know this game was out or out soon or w/e until i saw a review on 1up

http://www.1up.com/reviews/littlebigplanet-karting-review

apparently the weapon balance is fucked (doesn't help that many weapons are buggy and don't work right most of the time or something).

track editor is also not easy or somethin.

hmmmm... i think i'll just get sonic racing... wait, i still have an unopened mario kart 7. maybe i should just get nothing.

I really, really want this, but I have no time to play it. I was LBP1 whore, and loved LBP2 just as much, though I also didn't have much time to play that one.

I'll try and get somebody to give it to me for Christmas.

Duffyside

Banned
Think part of that is because people like me need a neogaf thread bumped from page 10 to be reminded that this game exists.

I liked the beta and will probably pick this up soon. But dang, no advertising whatsoever.

I can't create anything decent in LBP but always loved that I had tons of incredible options to choose from, I hope those creators haven't forgotten as well.

You're welcome for that. I too will probably pick this up. Looks like it will be $25 for a couple of Black Friday deals. However some of these reviews are worrying.

Top Bottom