• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
planar1280 said:
58852252.jpg

If someone did something like this in the UK and injured the attacker they would get send to prison, there have been few cases similar to it.

Desmond

I'm amazed at how pissed-off I am at the moment.

Seeing one of our (Europe's) greatest cities and one on my doorstep like this is sickening and makes my blood boil.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This is really a fucked up situation. I dunno what GAF's hivemind opinion on this is so I may either be flamed or agreed with, but I've always thought the policy over there of cops being unarmed is really stupid. It wouldn't totally solve the problem but I do think it would help get the situation under control more easily. I can't imagine something like this going on so long in the USA.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mr_Brit said:
Why are people still spouting this nonsense? This riot is a convenient excuse for a class of society to go looting and causing destruction that they won't have to pay for. No ideaology is behind this

Well said sir.

What pisses me off most about apologia is the way it infers that anyone who comes from an underprivileged background will turn out to be a scumbag.

Millions of people worldwide drag themselves out of far worse situations every year, but its rarely mentioned because small-scale success stories that evidence the triumph of success through hard work and willpower aren't as "newsworthy" (i.e. sells copy) as those that wallow in the most debased aspects of humanity.

skybaby

If you don't fear the police, this is what happens. How do you think all those who live at favelas, excluded from society and surrounded by drug trafficking henchmen, are held back here in brazil? With this:
bope_elite_squad_mens.jpg

Pure fear.

PJV3

Carl said:
I hate and love Boris at the same time.

As a character in an Ealing comedy he'd be perfect, as the leader of a major world city, no thank you.
The hacking scandal, his comments about liverpudlians etc reveal his true nature.

Ooccoo

I find it funny how police can't even stop rioters. Send the dogs or something. They need to be teached a lesson. They're stealing and destroying stuff people worked several hours for, like independant shops. I'd seriously shoot someone if that happened to me.

Hari Seldon

Ooccoo said:
I find it funny how police can't even stop rioters. Send the dogs or something. They need to be teached a lesson. They're stealing and destroying stuff people worked several hours for, like independant shops. I'd seriously shoot someone if that happened to me.

If this was the age before cell phone cameras and whatnot the riots would have been stopped 2 days ago.

Furret

Banned
PJV3 said:
As a character in an Ealing comedy he'd be perfect, as the leader of a major world city, no thank you.
The hacking scandal, his comments about liverpudlians etc reveal his true nature.

What does he have to do with the hacking scandal.

The Liverpudialian remark was right on target too. Truth hurts.

I'm looking at this guy on Sky News talking about his Thai restaurant being looted and I'm thinking I know him from somewhere.....

It's bloody Adrian Mills from That's Life!

Meadows

Banned
Emerson said:
This is really a fucked up situation. I dunno what GAF's hivemind opinion on this is so I may either be flamed or agreed with, but I've always thought the policy over there of cops being unarmed is really stupid. It wouldn't totally solve the problem but I do think it would help get the situation under control more easily. I can't imagine something like this going on so long in the USA.

Lasted 6 days in the L.A. riots.

In general people in the UK agree with the police being unarmed. Police in the US are far too trigger happy. The police do need to be more intimidating though, they're being pushed around by these cunts.

Clear said:

Well said sir.

What pisses me off most about apologia is the way it infers that anyone who comes from an underprivileged background will turn out to be a scumbag.

Millions of people worldwide drag themselves out of far worse situations every year, but its rarely mentioned because small-scale success stories that evidence the triumph of success through hard work and willpower aren't as "newsworthy" (i.e. sells copy) as those that wallow in the most debased aspects of humanity.

I think it's a terrible example of "first world problems" that young people in the UK (and now it seems, the US) are organizing riots to get free TVs and sneakers (or simply beat up white people), whereas in the middle east young people were organizing riots to take back their country from corrupt regimes that were carpet bombing them in retaliation.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
skybaby said:
If you don't fear the police, this is what happens. How do you think all those who live at favelas, excluded from society and surrounded by drug trafficking henchmen, are held back here in brazil? With this:
bope_elite_squad_mens.jpg

Pure fear.

But aren't they also repsonsible for possible hundreds of criminal executuons and corruption?

Ponti

Emerson said:
I don't think having police unarmed is stupid, infact I think letting the police all carry firearms is the more stupid situation. There are better deterrents than firearms. Rubber bullet to the midsection being one of them.

Poona

Hari Seldon said:
You guys have KFC over there!!!?
Serious?

KFC is in many places. Just like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, etc are.

Actually KFC has actually been in the UK since 1965.

http://kfc.co.uk

In Australia it opened in 1968.

http://kfc.com.au

The list goes on...

Also I believe in China, Colonel Sanders is admired quite a bit and they are more profitable there than they are in the US.

PJV3

Furret said:
What does he have to do with the hacking scandal.

The Liverpudialian remark was right on target too. Truth hurts.

He dismissed the whole thing as poppycock, and when pressed about it a news conference his unpleasant side started to appear. I just can't stand his bumbling fool routine, he's far more ruthless and clever than that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Meadows said:

In general people in the UK agree with the police being unarmed. Police in the US are far too trigger happy. The police do need to be more intimidating though, they're being pushed around by these cunts.

I have to admit that I was only two years old during the LA Riots, but I think I would argue that those were motivated by a serious ideological cause which I'd imagine would make them harder to deal with than a bunch of idiot kids.

I like guns and I think if criminals are armed cops should be too. But I could see the argument for patrolling cops in the UK to not be armed. But when this kind of shit happens, bring in the guns. Seriously.

TGMIII

Ponti said:
I don't think having police unarmed is stupid, infact I think letting the police all carry firearms is the more stupid situation. There are better deterrents than firearms. Rubber bullet to the midsection being one of them.

Which can be just as deadly as a real bullet. If you've got to pull a gun on someone it should be in self defence only if you feel your life in actually in danger and to kill, nothing else. A riot squad could easily deal with what's going on without resorting to any sort of shooting.

Shaka

Poona said:
Serious?

KFC is in many places. Just like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, etc are.

Actually KFC has actually been in the UK since 1965.

http://kfc.co.uk

In Australia it opened in 1968.

http://kfc.com.au

The list goes on...

Also I believe in China, Colonel Sanders is admired quite a bit and they are more profitable there than they are in the US.
KFC is everywhere. Even in Zimbabwe I knew that.

Meadows said:

It only lasted a couple days but the curfew was in effect for 6 days. Oh and I love our second amendment because when a gov't becomes inept to defend its citizens, as London seems to have done, the citizens can protect themselves. Police not carrying guns is not the issue here though its the lack of force.

PJV3

Should Manchester be sending their Riot squad to london at a time like this, or is it just a few of them?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
orpington high street is on lock down, tesco didnt open today, police want the high street closed.

Ponti

awwyeahgurrl said:
Which can be just as deadly as a real bullet.
Midsection, not the eye. I'm not saying they should be used in every riot either, just for situations like this where the shit has clearly hit the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom