• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Organized.

BBC just said they heard 2 guys ride into Piccadilly Gardens on bikes and yell "Oldham Street" and the mob all moved.

Those 2 guys rode past my flat from I reckon, two guys rode past talking loudly into phones...

dc89

Just seen one of my favourite shops in Manchester all smashed in.

It's awesoe and sells stuff we all like. Comics, fantasy and si-fi novels, gaming merchandise.

It just got personal.

Rocked

Seen on a Subway window in London:

sign.jpg

Zutroy

All the idiots stealing mobiles probably aren't aware of IMEI numbers. They will get caught because of them as well as anyone buying them off the scumbags.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dipswitch said:
I have to think Apple stores have the serial numbers of all their unsold devices logged as well. That's gonna come back to haunt these gobshites selling iPhones and the like on Craigslist.

Yep. The warranty will be worth shite. I wonder if apple can remote disable these devices.

saelz8

In Whitechapel looters attempted to break into the Islamic Bank but were chased off by incensed worshippers who saw what was going on as they left evening prayers at the East London Mosque. Muslim youths were last night guarding the bank.

dalin80

Banned
leadbelly said:
They don't look like rioters to me.

It can only last for so long I think. Eventually the public will have enough.

They arent, they are football fans protecting the team watering hole from the rioters.

Temrer

Neo Member
dc89 said:

It's awesoe and sells stuff we all like. Comics, fantasy and si-fi novels, gaming merchandise.

It just got personal.

Oh god please don't tell me they're going to go after Affleck's...

baylon452 said:
Woah the riot police in Manchester are a lot more armoured up than the ones in London, all kitted out in shoulder pads and knee pads. Have I just not seen the riot police with this elsewhere or is it just a Manchester unit or something?

I thought that too, they look fucking boss. I'd be happy with the police wearing gear like that all the time. Why not!

Prine

Banned
saelz8 said:
In Whitechapel looters attempted to break into the Islamic Bank but were chased off by incensed worshippers who saw what was going on as they left evening prayers at the East London Mosque. Muslim youths were last night guarding the bank.

Daym! Not during Ramadan bro - Muslim and communal solidarity is strong during this month. And it just hit sunset - all fed and ready.

Manager

RT.com stream claiming drivers are pulled out of their cars in Brixton, and cars are stolen. Many cases of assault and burglary too.

dc89 said:

It just got personal.
Forbidden Planet?

dc89

anonnumber6 said:
Forbidden Planet?

Possibly. I can never remember the damn name. It's a big shop and it sells all sorts of geeky stuff.

Got some LBP merchandise from there once.

Marleyman said:
Thanks for the info; have they ever done anything other than protest?

Considering the theme of their protests, some take it as provocation unsurprisingly so its difficult to just class it as protests in that sense. Sadly, some take notice, offense and get involved in scuffles with them. They have a protest in a few weeks in a London borough that has the highest concentration of Muslims in the country of terms of population ratio. I hope the Muslim youths ignore them but don't have much faith in that regard.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
2115: Sky News people on the ground in Manchester reporting that police are confiscating petrol bombs. Worrying news.

:/

Deku

Banned
Egpytian bloggers views on the London protests.
"Many people here seem to see the riots as a revolution of sorts, but anyone expressing that sentiment online quickly gets chastised by Egyptian-Brits or Arab-Brits who tell them that it's anything but," said Mohamed el-Dahshan, a writer and economist.

Mosa'ab Elshamy, tweeted in frustration at those likening the British riots to the Arab Spring. "Egyptians and Tunisians took revenge for [police brutality victim] Khaled Said and [Tunisian street vendor Mohamed] Bouazizi by peacefully toppling their murdering regimes, not stealing DVD players."

Hanna agreed, adding that the actions of looters in London compared unfavourably to the way Egyptians behaved when police were beaten off the streets. "On 28 January [when Mubarak's security forces had to withdraw from the streets] there were no police anywhere and yet there was still less looting than we've seen now in Britain. If the police were completely withdrawn on any given day in the UK the country would probably implode. That raises tough questions … the issue isn't just economical, it's societal."

kakakaka

no moral support even the the bonafide protesters who actually had to face tanks.

dc89 said:
Possibly. I can never remember the damn name. It's a big shop and it sells all sorts of geeky stuff.

Got some LBP merchandise from there once.
Yep it's Forbidden Planet, on oldham street, saw it on the news footage

Dawson's Music store on portland street apparently been hit

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Twitter said:
Great quote from Waterstone's employee on the news: "We'll stay open, if they steal some books they might learn something"

:lol

Didn't know if this had been posted already. Was on the door of a Manchester Subway shop.

http://twitpic.com/63j8ia

Sorry Manchester. It's terrible that it's spread to your place too. :(

Merseyside police made threats earlier on today that they'd set dogs and cave in some heads if there's more trouble tonight. I hope we don't have to see if they keep their word.

mokeyjoe

dc89 said:
My GF works on a retail park in Preston. The Sports Direct boarded windows up at around 4pm today. No reports of anything in Preston.

Yeah, I live near the centre and I can't see or hear anything. My flatmate went for a drink earlier and said there were tons of police about, not much else. I don't think anything'll happen, it's all precautionary.

Bru

What a surprise, JD sports looted in the Manchester Arndale. Also had a text from a WPC friend who's just been told to report into work and don riot gear.

Zzoram

Rioters and looters get away with way too much, and letting them get away without consequence is what perpetuates the problem.

They should've used tear gas from the very first day.

SteveWD40

Bru said:
What a surprise, JD sports looted in the Manchester Arndale. Also had a text from a WPC friend who's just been told to report into work and don riot gear.

Thats what made me laugh about them looting Reiss, as if you are suddenly going to see a load of scrotes walking around looking like Patrick Bateman.

Stick to nicking trainers.

tehbible

Sic em!

Taken from Cryptome

British police officers charge rioters, during riots in Hackney, east London, Monday Aug. 8, 2011. Youths set fire to shops and vehicles in a host of areas of London _ which will host next summer's Olympic Games _ and clashed with police in the nation's central city of Birmingham, as authorities struggled to halt groups of rampaging young people. (Lefteris Pitarakis)
pict54.jpg

British police officers arrest a man as rioters gathered in Croydon, south London, Monday, Aug. 8, 2011. Violence and looting spread across some of London's most impoverished neighborhoods on Monday, with youths setting fire to shops and vehicles, during a third day of rioting in the city that will host next summer's Olympic Games. (Sang Tan)
pict52.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom