• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile in Edinburgh, we are having a festival :)

6020262536_50a37f9391_o.jpg

Arnie

If you play with dirt you get dirty.

Regardless of age, gender or ethnicity if you're out partaking in these riots by reinforcing a mob mentality or looting then you're asking for punishment.

ashley678 said:
most of the cuts the cons have done have hit younger people harder or poorer families.

the riots that started in Tottenham was the catalyst they needed to start something, and all these attacks are branching from everything thats built up no doubt about it. they saw the riots in tottenham and how it was handled and saw it was poor and knew they could do it else where and have.
They aren't doing this because the youth clubs that meant oh so much to them got shut down so they have nothing to do on a Friday night.

They're doing it because they can. They need to be stopped and punished.

Alucrid

Banned
Chriswok said:
That's the sticking point for me, they're kids. Little scrotums, but still kids. Can you really justify police striking them with batons (or worse)? I mean right now I don't have an opinion either way, just playing devil's advocate (and interested in knowing what other's opinion is).

I apologise to you, Inanna. The fire remark wasn't directed at Bradford, and in all honesty wasn't directed at Liverpool in any serious form. I hope everyone and their family remain safe.

They're kids, but they're not fucking five years old. They should know not to be such cunts b breaking into stores, stealing shit, etc.

Mastadon

Banned
"There is nothing more dangerous than to build a society, with a large segment of people in that society, who feel that they have no stake in it; who feel that they have nothing to lose. People who have a stake in their society, protect that society, but when they don't have it, they unconsciously want to destroy it."

Martin Luther King Jr.

SmokyDave said:
You have no idea how much. I wanted these animals putting down years ago, before this happened. These are lost people, utterly broken beyond repair.

My missus lives just feet from the firebombed police station in question. I'm sure you can imagine that contributes to my bloodlust.

Hope your Wife remains safe, SmokyDave.

Vivalaraza said:
Unfortunately, yes. That they are kids doesn't mean anything to me after what they've done. They haven't worked a day in their lives or earnt a thing given to them. Jail won't mean anything to them. They need to feel fear that if they misbehave they will suffer, that crime does not pay. I seriously think a slap or ten is needed.

What's a 'slap' within current context?

Alucrid said:
They're kids, but they're not fucking five years old. They should know not to be such cunts b breaking into stores, stealing shit, etc.

No, but there are kids as young as 10 being reported being involved.

Will the use of violence settle it all, or will it create a one-upmanship between the looters and the police to see who can cause the most violence?

Zenith

Banned
If anyone here has to resort to defending their property, keep sealed cups of petrol next to you to throw on looters. It's feels awful, it'll fuck up their clothes (which they care a surprising amount about), the smell will make them gag and then you can mock threaten them with a lighter (empty threat I emphasise). Just make sure you don't build up the petrol fumes.

Things I learnt from Firefly.

Noaloha

Marleyman said:
I don't understand how looters throwing firebombs into a police station isn't already attempting to kick it up a notch? What if police men and women came running out on fire??
Peculiar thing here is that the station's not in a retail sort of area. Don't think there's been any looting in Nottingham tonight. Obviously there's a 'yet' just begging to be added to the end of that sentence.

lifa-cobex

Chriswok said:
Sure, OK, lets not deny the looters are being complete mongs and some are looking for violence. I'm just curious to know if people on here REALLY want to see it all kick off to another gear all together.

Have to admit, I was impressed with Manchester Police's attempts of infiltrating the horde with plain clothed police officers.

Putting aside my emotions towards this. These people serve nothing more than for fear and destruction. You could say it's not there fault and they are just victims of circumstances but that gives people no right to take away things that people have taken so much of there time to create and achieve.

They have no agenda or cause for this. It's not like their fighting for rights or a better future.

I hate these people. I feel nothing for them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Marleyman said:
Who knows what percentage is doing it for this reason but I don't think you can deny that there aren't some who are doing it because of this.
Do you believe that they are looting shops and arsoning entire blocks of flats in protest?

Zzoram

Mastadon said:
"There is nothing more dangerous than to build a society, with a large segment of people in that society, who feel that they have no stake in it; who feel that they have nothing to lose. People who have a stake in their society, protect that society, but when they don't have it, they unconsciously want to destroy it."

Martin Luther King Jr.

That's kind of the problem with North Korea. They have almost no trade or interaction of any sort with the outside world, so they aren't afraid to use nuclear weapons.

Everyone else is so interdependent on each other that nobody would dare disrupt the order of things.

Dakota47

Chriswok said:
That's the sticking point for me, they're kids. Little scrotums, but still kids. Can you really justify police striking them with batons (or worse)? I mean right now I don't have an opinion either way, just playing devil's advocate (and interested in knowing what other's opinion is).

Hit 'em with batons, hose them with water canons and maybe shoot at the ringleaders with rubber bullets. No escalation beyond that though, because you don't want to create more martyrs. Killing a drugs dealer is apparently already enough to set half the country on fire.

Empty

Marleyman said:
I believe it is, especially this part:

Who knows what percentage is doing it for this reason but I don't think you can deny that there aren't some who are doing it because of this.

i doubt the cuts helped but if you are going to look at the societal context that these riots took place in you are going to want longer term analysis, pointing to recent cuts as an explanation is either facile or lame political points scoring. people don't get cuts and suddenly decide to disregard law and order, the kind of education, economic, social, political and parental issues that may actually impact these kids and make them so alienated from civilized society such that they'd tear it apart for fun are much longer term.

Sipowicz

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Mate, any wankers trying to loot Southall or Wembley are going to get fucked up. I've just been sent pics from some friends in both areas, these guys aren't messing around, they are armed to the teeth and itching to fuck some looters up.

apparently asians were already protecting their shops

they come to somewhere like webley, southhall or brick lane they're fucked

BlazingDarkness said:
Yes, these little fuckfaces ruin neighbourhoods and make people scared of leaving their homes at night, they contribute nothing to society, never have and never will

I agree.
People shouldnt get away with things because they are kids, they are at an age where they are capable to understand a lot. I remember how menacing kids could be at the age of 6 but seriously 14 year olds and up are by no chance innocent and incapable to understand things.

avaya

Pinning the government cuts for contributing to this is a weak argument. These people are feral scum, urban underclass, 100% Chav filth. Yes I'd like the teenagers see the FIST of justice.

No doubt there is a seedy underground criminal element behind some of this, especially the targeting of certain places and stores in a methodical manner.

They need to bring hard punishment back to school, parents should be arrested for kids not attending school, CSO's given more power and zero tolerance for anti social behaviour.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
jamieson87 said:
Meanwhile in Edinburgh, we are having a festival :)

6020262536_50a37f9391_o.jpg

Can't wait, heading down on Saturday to see a few shows, hit a few bars and give a great time.

SmokyDave

Chriswok said:
Hope your Wife remains safe, SmokyDave.
Cheers chap but she's out of the country for a few weeks. Thank fuck. Thinking of flying out to her if my workplace goes up (it's in one of the trouble-spots).

Mastadon

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Thanks for bumping it. Is weird seeing seeing shops you've walked by on a daily basis wrecked.

Yep! Ramada Jarvis, Jacobs, Nando's etc...

Wonder if the council offices will be hit..

Marleyman

Banned
Empty said:
i doubt the cuts helped but if you are going to look at the societal context that these riots took place in you are going to want longer term analysis, pointing to recent cuts as an explanation is either facile or lame political points scoring. people don't get cuts and suddenly decide to disregard law and order, the kind of education, economic, social, political and parental issues that may actually impact these kids and make them so alienated from civilized society such that they'd tear it apart for fun are much longer term.

Sure, not just saying that the cuts are the only factor; it seems to have been building up for quite some time. It just needed a spark.

Sneds

Vivalaraza said:
They haven't worked a day in their lives or earnt a thing given to them. Jail won't mean anything to them.

How can you possibly know that? I saw a photo of a woman caught looting wearing her work uniform.

Looting is illegal and morally wrong. Throwing around generalisation about the people involved is just unnecessary and unhelpful.

Why do police not use paintballs for riot control? They don't do permanent damage, they're relatively cheap compared to rubber bullets and water cannons and tear gas, and they mark people who have been shot. They could probably develop unwashable ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom