• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

thezerofire said:
Why do police not use paintballs for riot control? They don't do permanent damage, they're relatively cheap compared to rubber bullets and water cannons and tear gas, and they mark people who have been shot. They could probably develop unwashable ones too.

Getting shot in the eye can blind/kill still.

Ponti

killer_clank said:
Like I say, all is perfectly well in Scotland. We should just declare independence tonight and let England go down the pan
This would be hilarious. Salmond on the TV tomorrow giving Cameron the middle finger. "Screw you crazy English guys, we're out!"

Rain_ng

Banned
THE:MILKMAN said:
According to the Leicester police twitter this is not true.

What is the source of the picture?

Yeah its from some other incident I guess. I took a walk past about an hour ago and didn't see any damage to either McDonalds in the Centre. Got the pic from my Cousins FB who was in town when she posted it, literally 2 minutes before I put it here.. Sorry Gaf :(

Jacobs in Leicester just got smashed up by a gang of about 50 youths though

:(

Sneds said:
How can you possibly know that? I saw a photo of a woman caught looting wearing her work uniform.

Looting is illegal and morally wrong. Throwing around generalisation about the people involved is just unnecessary and unhelpful.

It is also well known that people who steal the most are employees or workers, so it doesnt make them better citizens because they happen to pay taxes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
thezerofire said:
Why do police not use paintballs for riot control? They don't do permanent damage, they're relatively cheap compared to rubber bullets and water cannons and tear gas, and they mark people who have been shot. They could probably develop unwashable ones too.
Real bullets don't wash off. See how much money can be saved on R&D?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So finally the London riot appeared at local news it seems.

UGH!

Their news, especially the way how the local reporter... It really makes me wish my country never heard of the event anymore. The news is pretty standard at first, and by standard I mean not really actually caring about the innocents being affected but rather report that "the Filipino people in London are worried that they are affected". But what irked me to the bone was how the reporter later added. "See, this is what happens when rich countries feel the grips of poorness - they become wild. Not unlike us Filipinos though, we're resilient!"

Yes, because clearly the whole thing is related to the recession, and that Filipinos aren't above petty, stupid riots. Ugh... I'm already ashamed of being a Filipino but this... ugh.

Excuse me.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
avaya said:
Pinning the government cuts for contributing to this is a weak argument. These people are feral scum, urban underclass, 100% Chav filth. Yes I'd like the teenagers see the FIST of justice.

No doubt there is a seedy underground criminal element behind some of this, especially the targeting of certain places and stores in a methodical manner.

They need to bring hard punishment back to school, parents should be arrested for kids not attending school, CSO's given more power and zero tolerance for anti social behaviour.

lol as if these people are even intelligent enough to know that there's been cuts and what impact it has on them. they're just trying to have fun and get free shit.

they're not scared of being arrested or jail time. hell jail is probably a badge of honour now, go in, make contacts. might even be an opportunity for some when its a lighter sentence. too many things glamorize this kind of shit now.

Zzoram said:

Chances are small and if you are out rioting and looting then you should know that death is a consequence of your illegal and immoral actions. The reason it has got this bad is because these feral yoots know there are no consequences, the justice system stinks and maybe 1 out of 10 will serve prison sentences and the rest will get tagged.

Zzoram

zomgbbqftw said:
Chances are small and if you are out rioting and looting then you should know that death is a consequence of your illegal and immoral actions. The reason it has got this bad is because these feral yoots know there are no consequences, the justice system stinks and maybe 1 out of 10 will serve prison sentences and the rest will get tagged.

But the police would get sued, someone might lose their job, and the government would have to pay out millions.

Sanjay

For fuck sake, I'm from Leicester, thought rioting would not be happening here as we have twats but I thought we would not have enough for a full scale riot, I hope its only 50. I'm sure the police can handle that amount right...right.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
do you know what? if these 24 hour news channels werent covering this I bet the riots wouldnt have happened and wouldnt have spread everywhere.

news coverage leads to constant attention across all the social networks which leads to more awareness and motivation to do something about it.

Bit of a catch 22. if this was korea/china the news would have been snuffed out and it would never have spread like this.

there's no way this was orchestrated purely cos people were tweeting or BBMing about it.

Mastadon

Banned
Sanjay said:
For fuck sake, I'm from Leicester, thought rioting would not be happening here as we have twats but I thought we would not have enough for a full scale riot, I hope its only 50. I'm sure the police can handle that amount right...right.

Yeah the police have been shit hot so far by all accounts. It seems to have quietened down somewhat, but still quite tense apparently.

scaled.php

had to be one

Zzoram said:
then don't aim at the head. Shooting paintball guns isn't very difficult.

Zzoram said:
But the police would get sued, someone might lose their job, and the government would have to pay out millions.
if someone sued when they were taking part in the riots a decent judge would throw it out. But I don't know the legal situation of England.

dc89

We need a curfew now. Look at those cocks on sky news in Birmingham.

Police can't touch em yet they have the full attention of a riot squad.

Sanjay said:

Who knows man, it seems they've been kept away from the Highcross successfully as I'd assume that would be their biggest target. I'm a little worried about my work given the office it's right next to the train station.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
These events, combined with the stories I've heard about people not being able to do anything about squatters on their own property, makes me think that the UK is way too liberal when it comes to punishing criminals.

These fuckers should be getting shot en masse. They aren't protestors. They have no message. They just want free shit. They are terrorists. They are declaring war on their fellow citizens and they need to be put down in my opinion.

Sneds said:
How can you possibly know that? I saw a photo of a woman caught looting wearing her work uniform.

Looting is illegal and morally wrong. Throwing around generalisation about the people involved is just unnecessary and unhelpful.

I was talking about the kids, 15/16/17 year olds who are involved in this who I think should be punished regardless of their age. There are all sorts of people involved, even reports of grown adults having their kids help them loot.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
UK GAF stay safe tonight.

Sonki.

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Yes, these little fuckfaces ruin neighbourhoods and make people scared of leaving their homes at night, they contribute nothing to society, never have and never will

Absurd comment. Generalizations galore. This thread is full of it. I'm reading as much as I can before I go off on any tangent - but I'll keep it to myself. I wouldn't know how to feel unless this were happening anywhere near me.

I do have a lot of angst and frustration towards the cops - but I also share a common compassion for human life (love all people). Things aren't black and white.

Sennorin

Banned
Chriswok said:
That's the sticking point for me, they're kids. Little scrotums, but still kids. Can you really justify police striking them with batons (or worse)? I mean right now I don't have an opinion either way, just playing devil's advocate (and interested in knowing what other's opinion is).

If a kid is raping your gf, would you say "but he´s a kid, don´t use force against him."?

These fuckers need a lection. Again, if these were people making their stance against the government/society/whatever, I could understand the riots. But this is pure, simple chaos and personal greed. They´re destroying for fun and stealing for personal gain.

Mastadon

Banned
jlampon Jonathan Lampon
Back out again. Much calmer now. This is not like London, B'ham or Manc or Notts. More low level. @leicspolice in full control.

Zzoram said:

If the government activate the civil contingencies act then the police are fully protected by the law.

The way this is going, public opinion is shifting very rightward right now, if a court case was brought by a parent whose kid was killed/paralysed by a rubber bullet while they were looting using the HRA I think the public would want out of the ECHR and the government would have to bow to public pressure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sonki. said:
I do have a lot of angst and frustration towards the cops - but I also share a common compassion for human life (love all people). Things aren't black and white.

You can't just love everyone. Things aren't black and white! :(

Honestly, you're right, and that's why when I see people operating on a base level of destruction and cruelty I question why I want to love everyone. If it's worth it. If people don't deserve it.

I don't think they all deserve it.

Sonki. said:
Absurd comment. Generalizations galore. This thread is full of it. I'm reading as much as I can before I go off on any tangent - but I'll keep it to myself. I wouldn't know how to feel unless this were happening anywhere near me.

Well when you grow up with these fucking scum bags in your neighbourhood you might be able to relate, they deserve no compassion at all, they are the lowest form of pond life in society.

Biggzy

Mastadon said:
jlampon Jonathan Lampon
Back out again. Much calmer now. This is not like London, B'ham or Manc or Notts. More low level. @leicspolice in full control.

At least i can say my taxes are going to a police force that can handle a group of yobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom