• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can the police finally get some guns of their own now?

tehbible

Zefah said:
That Harry Brown movie looks pretty good. It's on Netflix, too! I think I'll watch it tonight.

it goes well with the climate that U.K is in now.

theres chavs in it, and all that good stuff.

Noaloha

Nottingham Police communications department, who've been keeping their twitter updated with confirmed reports, were promising a round-up of 'the large number of incidents' they say they've received. The police.uk site couldn't handle the traffic seemingly, so it was upped to pastebin:

MIRROR FROM: http://www.nottinghamshire.police.u.../09/live_updates_police_response_to_disorder/

at 00:00 on Wednesday August 10th 2011

Live updates: Police response to disorder

Updated on 9th August 2011 22:34

Follow our feed of live updates throughout the evening to find out how we have responded to reports of public disorder.

Also, keep up-to-date with the latest news from Nottinghamshire and any public safety advice by following us on Twitter or searching for #nottspolicelatest.

Tuesday 9 August

23:55 Full round up of incidents

Hundreds of Nottinghamshire police officers are fully deployed this evening to contain numerous incidents of criminal activity and outbreaks of gratuitous violence against buildings at locations throughout the city.

Fires have been set at many locations including wheelie bins and skips and in some cases police have investigated reports that children have been setting fire to trees.

Groups of youths, wearing hoodies and masks to hide their identity, have been seen congregating throughout the evening and causing disturbances in Canning, Clifton, Basford and Radford among other locations.

At 10pm this evening a number of cars were fire bombed at a car lot in Carlton Road, Nottingham.

Canning Circus police station was firebombed at approximately the same time by a mob of around 40 individuals. Eight arrests have been made in connection with this incident alone.

Earlier this evening, a group of 20 people – some of whom were believed to be in their teens – appeared on the roof of Nottingham High School. A total of 10 people were arrested as a result.

Since 6pm this evening, the force has dealt with well over 1,000 reports of incidents taking place at locations throughout the city and elsewhere.

The vast majority of these incidents relate to rowdy behaviour by groups of individuals roaming the streets of housing estates and the city centre seemingly intent on causing trouble.

At this stage of the evening, more than 30 people have been arrested. Most of these have been arrested in connection with offences committed tonmight; a few in relation to sporadic violence last night. It is expected that the number of arrests will grow as the night wears on.

Assistant Chief Constable Paul Scarrott, commanding tonight’s police operation, condemned what he described as “gratuitous, senseless and wholly unjustified acts of wanton criminality”.

He said: “I cannot understand this explosion of mindless hooliganism and violence which is scarring our city and causing untold damage, not just to property but to the peace of mind of the law-abiding majority.

“My officers have come under physical attack and their lives have been put in danger. I cannot believe the mentality of those committing this violence and I cannot understand how parents can be allowing their children to participate and spectate.

“They should be in no doubt. We are here to do a job and we will do that job. More4 and more people can expect to be arrested and will face the consequences of their action.

“Despite the events taking place this evening, hundreds of police officers will continue to work through the night at some personal danger to protect the people of this county and city, and I would urge the vast majority of honest and decent citizens to continue giving us their support. We have had 1000s of messages this evening from the public, praising and thanking us for what we are doing on their behalf. This has been much appreciated.”

Over the last few hours, police have been responding to a high volume of calls from members of the public. Some of the reports the control room have received include:

Cars on fire in Woodborough Road, Mapperley (21:57). Reports of fire bombs thrown at cars
House windows put through in Cinderhill Park, Bulwell
Fire in Mansfield Road, Carrington (21:18)
Youths attempt to damage an off licence in Radford (20:42)
Damage to Blenheim pub in Bulwell by a group of people in their late teens/early 20s (20:30)
Clarendon College in Sherwood Rise, Nottingham, has been fire bombed. Fire service attended and extinguished fire. Glass in door smashed and has caused considerable damage (22:00)
Car fires have been started in New Basford and Old Basford
Bargain Booze in Bestwood Park, Nottingham has been targeted by a group of teens throwing bricks and stones at shops. No damage reported
A group of people outside the Council House in Old Market Square are trying to pull barriers down
6 men are causing damage to property by smashing glasses and throwing items in Canal Street, Nottingham (22:22)
Golden Fleece public house on Mansfield Road, Nottingham has been targeted by 10 youths causing damage (20:54)
Damage to cars in North Sherwood Street, Nottingham (22:04)
Youths have set a tree on fire in Elm Avenue, St Ann’s (20:46)
Bin fire in Delta Court, North Sherwood Street, Nottingham (22:04)
30 youths have been seen throwing stones at St Ann’s police station (23:16
Meadows Police Station is being attacked by 15-20 males (23:10). A police vehicle is on fire outside
A group of 3 males seen throwing bricks at cars in Abbotts Drive, St Ann’s
A group of 50-60 youths in hoodies and balaclavas walking towards St Ann’s
A group of youths were seen trying to break into the Walter Raleigh Pub in Radford
Reports of a car and van on fire in Alfred Close, At Ann’s
Youths with baseball bats seen in Holden Street, Radford.
Canning Circus Police Station attacked at 10pm
Youths damaged cars in Moorgate St, Radford. The caller saw them walk over and damage the vehicles.
A round 50 youths seen trying to set fire to cars in Monfort Street, Radford
A lorry was set on fire in Sneinton Market
An off licence in Cyril Avenue, Aspley was attacked

That list at the end is described only as "reports the control room have received", so could include hoax calls. Quite a list though if accurate. Rampant little pockets of fuck shit upism.

EDIT: http://twitter.com/#!/nottspolice

Prine

Banned
deshchaggar Desh Chaggar
“@FYR33: I LOVE that. Pakistani Muslims are out there protecting Sikh Temples, and Sikhs are out there protecting Mosques. #Unity”

narrowboatlucy Lucy on a narrowboat
Southall seems protected. Muslims playing cricket outside Mosque. Sikh elders parading streets. Kids protecting McD's. We're in a takeaway!

Khal_B

baylon452 said:
For fucks sake firing at a police officer now. What are you trying to achieve with that!

As long as the police remain passive, these "people" will keep trying to push things further and further.

Meus Renaissance said:
If police bring guns into this, I fear some of these youths will also

Yep, I can see this escalating if they do. You'll get some random twats out on the streets with weapons, thinking they're excused because the police have firearms.

“@FYR33: I LOVE that. Pakistani Muslims are out there protecting Sikh Temples, and Sikhs are out there protecting Mosques. #Unity”

3623566412_404da21fcb.jpg

Ponti

Ubermatik said:
Yep, I can see this escalating if they do. You'll get some random twats out on the streets with weapons, thinking they're excused because the police have firearms.
Hopefully the police are better shots.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/09/london-riots-new-business-for-amazon/

Over the past 24 hours sales of aluminum bats are up more than 5,000 percent on Amazon.co.uk, the British division of the online retail giant.

But that's not all.

Wooden bats are popular, too, right now. Sales of these bashing devices are up almost 4,000 percent since yesterday.

The biggest mover on Amazon.uk's "Sports and Leisure" page?

Military Police Telescopic Tonfas (read: side-handled batons).

Looting makes GDP go up.

Swoop

Neo Member
Just saw this post on Facebook:

in light of the events of the last four nights i really do hope the government stands up and actually takes notice of how hard it is for a young person in this country to own a really good telly or iphone when he actually has to pay for it himself..

Hilarious. This guy genuienly believes this is all over people not being able to afford a nice phone? I just can't understand how people are still trying to defend this riots claiming that there is a political motive behind it all. It's madness, this is just a bunch of people out to terrorise. The Beeb showed some BBMs people have been sending:

What ever ends [area] your from put your ballys [balaclavas] on link up and cause havoc, just rob everything. Police can’t stop it

everyone from all sides of London’ to meet up, smash up shops and get some ‘free stuff’

That's just out to cause chaos, nothing political about it.

Pretty embarrassed to be and English 18 year old right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This shit is pathetic. So the cops are wearing more armor, but they have little sticks while rioters will use anything they can get their hands on.

Cops shot all be armed with guns and rubber bullets.

Swoop said:
Just saw this post on Facebook:

Hilarious. This guy genuienly believes this is all over people not being able to afford a nice phone? I just can't understand how people are still trying to defend this riots claiming that there is a political motive behind it all. It's madness, this is just a bunch of people out to terrorise.

What the fuck, it's obviously sarcasm. Chill.

BBC Ticker

0024: The Metropolitan Police say 685 arrests have been made in connection with disorder across London in recent days. Of those, 111 people have been charged.
Here's the breakdown of charges:
Burglary - 69
Public Order Act offences - 13
Assault on police - 2
Robbery - 3
Possession of offensive weapons - 5
Handling stolen goods - 6
Criminal damage - 1
Going equipped - 1
Drug offences - 3
Miscellaneous other offences - 8

butter_stick said:
Hopefully some of the scum do being guns so we have an excuse to lock them up.

BAHAHAHA

Somehow I read this in the voice of the UK police who look completely useless and need them to do something OTHER than riot, burn down buildings, and rob people to have an "excuse" to lock them up

timetokill said:
BAHAHAHA

Somehow I read this in the voice of the UK police who look completely useless and need them to do something OTHER than riot, burn down buildings, and rob people to have an "excuse" to lock them up
Right now the vast majority are going to get away with it. They'll get pathetic community service orders or such nonsense. My rage needs people getting hard time.

Bleepey

Dabookerman said:
That's what it is. They don't know what it feels like to be deprived.
Half my school, which was in Wood Green, a top 10 shit hole, didn't want to get taught. They did not give a shit about an education, yet there it was, given to them for free. Most people fight for an education in any other country. If they had worked hard, they would have a job.

Fuck them.

This.

nib95

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
This shit is pathetic. So the cops are wearing more armor, but they have little sticks while rioters will use anything they can get their hands on.

Cops shot all be armed with guns and rubber bullets.

Guns and rubber bullets....rubber bullets maybe, but even then I say no. Avoiding bloodshed and a full on violence should still be a key thought. Otherwise the thugs will just tool up and it'll be a full on war on the streets.

I say bring out the anti riot vehicles with high powered water cannons. Would love to see some youth's getting ousted by them lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
in light of the events of the last four nights i really do hope the government stands up and actually takes notice of how hard it is for a young person in this country to own a really good telly or iphone when he actually has to pay for it himself..

Surely this person is being ironic? Right? Right?

nib95 said:
Guns and rubber bullets....rubber bullets maybe, but even then I say no. Avoiding bloodshed and a full on violence should still be a key thought. Otherwise the thugs will just tool up and it'll be a full on war on the streets.

I say bring out the anti riot vehicles with high powered water cannons. Would love to see some youth's getting ousted by them lol.
Full on war? I'd say it already is a warzone on some streets. How much worse could it get?

Melchiah

BorkBork said:
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/09/london-riots-new-business-for-amazon/

Over the past 24 hours sales of aluminum bats are up more than 5,000 percent on Amazon.co.uk, the British division of the online retail giant.

But that's not all.

Wooden bats are popular, too, right now. Sales of these bashing devices are up almost 4,000 percent since yesterday.

The biggest mover on Amazon.uk's "Sports and Leisure" page?

Military Police Telescopic Tonfas (read: side-handled batons).

Looting makes GDP go up.

=D

Rioting & looting increase the need to bash some heads in.

It's not quite as simple to say "they didn't try in school, it's their own fault!". Last I checked we don't treat children as adults, and there's failings from other people (usually parents, but possibly schools or other parties) that have created this culture. These kids are in an environment where "work hard and you'll do well!" isn't an inevitability.

It's not making excuses for them to say this. But they're products of their environment, and through many generations of living.

butter_stick said:
It's not quite as simple to say "they didn't try in school, it's their own fault!". Last I checked we don't treat children as adults, and there's failings from other people (usually parents, but possibly schools or other parties) that have created this culture. These kids are in an environment where "work hard and you'll do well!" isn't an inevitability.

It's not making excuses for them to say this. But they're products of their environment, and through many generations of living.
We aren't talking about some small time crime here. If you are old enough to burn down buildings, you are old enough to take a beating.

elseanio

MarshMellow96 said:
Smithdown Road? Fuuuu shit better not kick off in Kensington - I don't fancy having my uni house burned down!

Wavertree here. My house is off the high street, so hope nothing happens down there.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Apparently the Asda in Huddersfield has been looted now, and apparently they're moving on to the bus station to fuck it up.
Funny thing is, the bus station is where all the chav cunts hang out, god i hope they all burn themselves down the damn ground.

Sneds

Ponti said:
Then you'll be here a while. There is no why.

It's been said a few times already but these kids just don't care about anyone. They drop out of school as soon as they can (and most likely never even attended it to begin with), the first place they visit is the dole office. They are lazy, self entitled twats who revel in causing other people misery. They blame everyone else for the problems they have while making zero effort to actually deal with it themselves, like a small number of other people in their situation. They expect the government to give them free handouts while giving absolutely nothing back. They think the system exists to serve them and only them. They need to be sterilized.

We give them everything they need to get out of the situation they are in, but they just throw it back in our face and burn down our houses. Fuck them.

I've just been talking to my gf about this. People generally don't do things for, what they consider to be, bad reasons. The reason people are rioting/looting now might be for very short term reasons, e.g. selling stolen iPods for cash, getting cred from friends, feeling powerful, clashing against authority figures.

Looking from the outside, we might consider these to be immoral/stupid/invalid reasons. But for the people actually engaged in the looting and violence, these ARE reasons. If we (and by we I mean English society) want to prevent this happening in future we actually need to understand these reasons. Only then can any change be accomplished. Simply saying 'people are rioting/looting because they're immoral idiots' won't actually prevent future rioting/looting.

Sure we can give the police increased powers to put-down this criminality but ultimately that's treating the symptom not the disease. The disease is the fact that there are hundreds of people in this country who have reasons for rioting/looting.

The shock of these riots for me has been that there are so many people in this country who want to riot/loot, not that they've been able to. As I said in this thread before, if you have a future worth protecting and are happy with your life, you're not going to loot a shop or set fire to a car because you've got something to lose.

butter_stick said:

These 'children' are fucking pulling people out of their cars and setting fire to them!
FUCK THEM, no sympathy whatsoever, they all need castrating or dumping into the ocean, GET RID.

ClosingADoor said:
We aren't talking about some small time crime here. If you are old enough to burn down buildings, you are old enough to take a beating.

I'm talking more about the "they didn't try in school, so fuck them!" mindset. People starting fires, I'm all for giving them a solid kick up the arse. But I'm talking more about the general culture issues.

Trust me I'm not trying to excuse the rioting. But to say kids don't try in school so it's their own fault they're failures as adults is kinda putting too much blame solely on the actions of a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom