• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
Sneds said:
I could set fire and loot stuff too. But I don't.

People do things/don't do things for reasons.

They want free stuff. That's it.

These people are so fucking stupid they don't have any other reason. Literally the dregs of society.

FOOTE

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I disagree.

Too late.
6024941771_1914aca0c7_m.jpg

Bleh

Body of a cow, face of a heroin junkie.
Ah, this made me smile.

Sneds said:

I was a bit of a scumbag when I was a kid / teen.

Want to know why I did scummy things? They were exciting... and that's pretty much it.

Furret

Banned
IamMikeside said:
You seem to have a lot of people arguing with this view, but to me it's plainly obvious that you're right.

These people have justified their actions and we need to start looking at why they were able to do that.

It doesn't mean 'going easy' on them or treating this any less seriously than it is - it means that once we've got this under control and stopped the actual rioting/looting/assaulting/etc, we need to start focusing on WHAT IS ACTUALLY WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY/CULTURE.

They are what is wrong with our society/culture. Remove them and things would be immeasurably improved.

Just think of the benefit to the gene pool alone.

Sneds said:

Even though you seem to want to excuse the actions of these people you don't seem like a total scumbag. The ones out there looting and rioting are absolute scumbags.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I don't think i've ever thought, said or typed the word "cunt" more time in the space of 48 hours...

IamMikeside said:
You seem to have a lot of people arguing with this view, but to me it's plainly obvious that you're right.

These people have justified their actions and we need to start looking at why they were able to do that.

It doesn't mean 'going easy' on them or treating this any less seriously than it is - it means that once we've got this under control and stopped the actual rioting/looting/assaulting/etc, we need to start focusing on WHAT IS ACTUALLY WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY/CULTURE.

This is a way of restating what he said that I can agree with. There is an ill in our modern world that makes this kind of irrational and immoral behavior possible to justify (in their minds) on such a fundamental level.

Mikeside

Galvanise_ said:
I'd like to think you aren't a total cunt. Which is why you aren't looting.

Now, these people are all cunts. They show no respect to the society and communities that support them.

You really have to realise that these scumbags are PEOPLE. They have emotions. morals (of some sort) and opinions of their own - whether they line up with yours or not is another matter.

I'm not justifying their actions - that would be ridiculous, but you have to realise that it's not a case of "I'm bored lol, let's riot" - that may be the level of thought they'll present to the world, but there's always more to it than that, and even if there wasn't more to it than that, their attitude is a result of their upbringing which is entirely affected by the country, societies and cultures they've grown up in/around.

We can't just blindly vilify these people, these are monsters we've created.

Empty

oh god gaf is so embarassing sometimes; lots of reactionary stuff here. explaining and thinking about how to tackle stuff isn't excusing either. where is chinner to lighten the mood.

ClosingADoor said:
Their reason is plain and simple: get free stuff.

i'm sure this is why they are setting fire to things.

nib95

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
A million miles away? They are looting local business and robbing houses and shops in their own neighbourhood. If you can't even care for your own neighbours, you are a lost cause.

I meant economically. And yes, they are lost causes, but there are reasons why.

I found even this video from The Guardian poignant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2fJmr7GPI&feature=player_embedded

I know many will just call them scum etc, but like I said earlier, it's easy for us to dissociate because we have not lived the life these youths have.

Esiquio

Cindres said:
I don't think i've ever thought, said or typed the word "cunt" more time in the space of 48 hours...

It's a pretty strong word that's rarely used, in my experience. I've never seen it so many times as in this thread.

Novid

Banned
i see ukgaf got three choices. kill them all, create a city split from the rest of london where they go or send them all away for a weekend.

Mikeside

ClosingADoor said:
It's pretty clear what is wrong with society. There are too many assholes who don't care about anyone but themselves.

I would argue that you're oversimplifying the problem quite a bit. What are we supposed to do with "there are too many assholes"? Nothing. We need to understand these people.

marrec

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Even though you seem to want to excuse the actions of these people you don't seem like a total scumbag. The ones out there looting and rioting are absolute scumbags.
We can talk about the basic causes for having a class of people willing to destroy their own community without excusing it man.

stufte

IamMikeside said:
You really have to realise that these scumbags are PEOPLE. They have emotions. morals (of some sort) and opinions of their own - whether they line up with yours or not is another matter.

I'm not justifying their actions - that would be ridiculous, but you have to realise that it's not a case of "I'm bored lol, let's riot" - that may be the level of thought they'll present to the world, but there's always more to it than that, and even if there wasn't more to it than that, their attitude is a result of their upbringing which is entirely affected by the country, societies and cultures they've grown up in/around.

Why the hell not. They choose to act, and their parentage or country doesn't matter a bit. Fuck em.

Cindres said:
Clearly you've not played enough competitive online gaming!

Esiquio said:
It's a pretty strong word that's rarely used, in my experience. I've never seen it so many times as in this thread.
It's used so often in the UK, if you're not from over here!

It seems to be way more taboo in the US.

Oppo

Furret said:
Fuck off. I don't want to "understand" mindless criminals I want them punished and punished so severely that they and their kind will never dare do it again.
The impulse to label them as mindless and sub-human is just as unconsidered and thoughtless as the impulse to join a hopped-up groupmof rioters running down the streets.

Empty said:
I'm sure this is why they are setting fire to things.

So far they have been setting fire to shops they weren't able to loot probably as some type of vengeance for having the (low) intelligence bested.

Mikeside

stutte said:
Why the hell not. They choose to act, and their parentage or country doesn't matter a bit. Fuck em.

Because that just creates more hate. It doesn't get anywhere towards sorting out the issues.

EDIT:

Of course their parentage and country matters. They haven't formed these morals, opinions or the decisions to commit these atrocities out of nowhere.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IamMikeside said:

There's always going to be something wrong with society and culture, but it should never be used an excuse to act like this. I'm all for zero tolerance policies against crime like what's going on here. There are far more people in the same position as these assholes who are not out there rioting and looting. A lot of them are working hard to get out of their relatively impoverished situations. Being a lazy asshole with zero apathy for other human beings does not make you a victim of societal injustice.

nib95

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Your pathetic, limp-dicked relativism is the exact reason this crap is happening.

So what do you suggest? Copying more conservative American methods? Yea working out great over there too. How about even more conservative methods such as those in the Middle East? Yea, even better! No riots there obviously. Or how about full on Communism and state control, loss of freedoms etc such as China? Yea, great result!

Stop letting fear and anger could your judgement.

Furret

Banned
IamMikeside said:

What riots are you watching/reading about?

"I'm bored lol, let's riot" is precisely why this is happening.

Biologically these creatures are people, but not in any other sense.

SmokyDave

IamMikeside said:
I would argue that you're oversimplifying the problem quite a bit. What are we supposed to do with "there are too many assholes"? Nothing. We need to understand these people.
Ever considered that maybe those calling for heads on pikes are the ones that already do understand these 'people'?

Bleepey

Spirit of Jazz said:
Fucking hilarious. What exactly would you have done?
I want some Delta Force, Spetznas, SAS, Mossad motherfuckers to come together in London for one big dick measuring contest. Whoever gets the most rioters' scalps wins. To make it a bit more interesting. I want some CIA, KGB, MI5 motherfuckers to help with intelligence. Let them be the Micros and the special forces teams be the Punisher. For added fun i want this shit streamed. This is erotic fiction for me.

PortTwo said:
The impulse to label them as mindless and sub-human is just as unconsidered and thoughtless as the impulse to join a hopped-up groupmof rioters running down the streets.

Unbelievable. Is it group hug time for these criminals, now?

IamMikeside said:
And then? Haven't we tried the last twenty years? Haven't we thrown billions at these people and tried dozens of help programs? What more can you do?

Sure, they are humans like you and I, but you can't deny their values are very different. They are burning down their own neighbourhoods and don't seem to care about anything. How can you ever hope to help people like that.

anonnumber6 said:
GMP Twitter - "Things quieting down now in city centre"

I'm worried about tomorrow night.

Don't worry. GMP have done well today. 1am and things are settling down, it was 4am in London before it slowed last night.

Don't forget the looters will be going home with heavy casualties in Manchester, they will be much less likely to come back. The ones that do will get the shit beat out of them.

stufte

IamMikeside said:
Because that just creates more hate. It doesn't get anywhere towards sorting out the issues.

EDIT:

Of course their parentage and country matters. They haven't formed these morals, opinions or the decisions to commit these atrocities out of nowhere.

It doesn't matter if their motives are understood or not. It doesn't matter if they are vilified or not. There will always be these kinds of people in the world, no matter how much compassion and understanding we have about them.

Empty said:
I'm sure this is why they are setting fire to things.
Chavs in Manchester are infatuated with arson. I live on the edge of private homes bordering an estate and I used to hang around with people from the estate and almost every month they would try to start to start a fire near the nearby youth centre.

Maffis

Psychotext said:
I was a bit of a scumbag when I was a kid / teen.

Want to know why I did scummy things? They were exciting... and that's pretty much it.

Agreed. I don't believe any of these rioters actually have a 'cause' for the stuff they're doing. Well, some might, but most are just in for the excitement and 'action'. They are masked and together with other masked people, and being in a group means peer pressure. They know they can get away with it too.

ClosingADoor said:
And then? Haven't we tried the last twenty years? Haven't we thrown billions at these people and tried dozens of help programs? What more can you do?

Sure, they are humans like you and I, but you can't deny their values are very different. They are burning down their own neighbourhoods and don't seem to care about anything. How can you ever hope to help people like that.
give em a fuckin ps3 and ifone and fuckoff big tv innit brap brap brap

SmokyDave said:
Ever considered that maybe those calling for heads on pikes are the ones that already do understand these 'people'?

Indeed. We are the ones who have grown up with them, crossing the road to avoid them, looking down as to avoid eye contact etc...

We already understand them, they need to be destroyed.

Mikeside

Furret said:
What riots are you watching/reading about?

"I'm bored lol, let's riot" is precisely why this is happening.

Biologically these creatures are people, but not in any other sense.

Very few people are motivated to do things like this in such a simple manner - certainly not the hundreds of people who have been rioting throughout the UK. Not all of them. There's social unrest and there's a reason for it. We need to punish these fuckers, yes. To the fullest extent of the law.

But then we need to start working out how we've let things get to this point.

Zefah said:
There's always going to be something wrong with society and culture, but it should never be used an excuse to act like this. I'm all for zero tolerance policies against crime like what's going on here. There are far more people in the same position as these assholes who are not out there rioting and looting. A lot of them are working hard to get out of their relatively impoverished situations. Being a lazy asshole with zero apathy for other human beings does not make you a victim of societal injustice.

I'm not saying it's excusable and I resent the implication that I would.
I agree that there are plenty of people who have it just as hard - I make fuck all money and struggle to pay my bills, but I don't steal or anything like that. I'm not justifying their actions, I'm saying there are reasons for them - Why can nobody understand the difference???

nib95

Banned
PortTwo said:

I wouldn't say it's nearly 'as' unconsidered or thoughtless, but I would say it's short sided and ignorant. But then I have no doubt that some dolts will take your comment and misconstrue it as you supporting or favouring the criminals.

Mikeside

ClosingADoor said:

If I knew that I'd be a fucking rich and loved person.
I'm not saying we need to help these people instead of punish them.

What I'm saying is that we need to sort this mess out, punish these motherfuckers and clean up the mess - but then we need to start working out where society has allowed the disconnect between you, me and mainstream society & these people.

Furret

Banned
IamMikeside said:
Very few people are motivated to do things like this in such a simple manner - certainly not the hundreds of people who have been rioting throughout the UK. Not all of them. There's social unrest and there's a reason for it. We need to punish these fuckers, yes. To the fullest extent of the law.

But then we need to start working out how we've let things get to this point.

I'm not saying it's excusable and I resent the implication that I would.
I agree that there are plenty of people who have it just as hard - I make fuck all money and struggle to pay my bills, but I don't steal or anything like that. I'm not justifying their actions, I'm saying there are reasons for them - Why can nobody understand the difference???

You're an idiot and what's more you're a dangerous idiot.

The facts of the matter are exactly as the majority in this thread describe and the evidence of your eyes should make plain.

The reason for the social unrest is because lowlife scum want nice things and they don't want to pay for them. It isn't any more complicated than that.

butter_stick said:
give em a fuckin ps3 and ifone and fuckoff big tv innit brap brap brap
Well, that kept them happy for some time until this shit happened.

The solution is very simple to me: work. But some people think they deserve to be CEO of a billion dollar company without actually doing anything. Get them to get out of bed by 6 AM, at work at 7 and home at 8 PM. Bit of hard work would help them more then any other form of help.

IamMikeside said:
If I knew that I'd be a fucking rich and loved person.
I'm not saying we need to help these people instead of punish them.

What I'm saying is that we need to sort this mess out, punish these motherfuckers and clean up the mess - but then we need to start working out where society has allowed the disconnect between you, me and mainstream society & these people.
Well, that's the problem. No one knows. So many things have been tried to help these people, but we're still stuck with them. Why keep on trying to understand them if they don't want to help themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom