• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosus

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
That would be too intelligent and nicely symbolic.
Is it really necessary anyway, though? People know the consequences of setting something on fire: it burns down.

Seems that the real problem is that there is a total lack of control in London. Yeah, they may have 1984-style cameras on every street corner to see when you scratch your ass, and they may know what you're masturbating to based on their Internet filters, but they can't possibly stop a fucking riot -- ya know, one of the primary functions of a real government.

Get rid of the unnecessary bullshit like that and get some real police in there.

RefigeKru

Banned
Lucius86 said:
That's where I live - not heard anything untowards here.

I have a paranoid Uncle. He was half right at least, Brixton was just a bit messed up because of the event going on. Same old story, people taking advantage of the anonymity the crowds provide.

Nothing serious from what I saw.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
the bbc trying to downplay the complete loss of police control in England is pathetic.

edit, i'm wondering why the thugs don't just overpower a police station and free there arrested comrades ?

Lucius86

Banned
Twitter is just a mess of information and mis-information. Enfield seems to be slowing down, a little bit of trouble in Brixton atm.

Lucius86 said:
Twitter is just a mess of information and mis-information. Enfield seems to be slowing down, a little bit of trouble in Brixton atm.

Yes, I believe they have left Enfield, headed to Edmonton, raised some hell and are on the way to south London. Brixton, E&C and other areas like those...

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
are these people moving around in one big mega crowd or are they moving around in small crews dealing damage ?

Lucius86

Banned
Kentpaul said:
are these people moving around in one big mega crowd or are they moving around in small crews dealing damage ?

No idea - let me go on the streets and find out for you.

Edit: Tongue in cheek, don't take offence :p

Yeah, Twitter says Crispy Creme factory on fire, lots of looting in retail stores, burning cars and police getting overpowered. Oh, and the whole media black out thing, which appears to be true - shit still going down yet no reports on BBC/Sky.

Don't trust Twitter, though. Some guy's probably just fallen over or something, and that's it.

Police were monitoring social networks yesterday and knew of the 'targets'.

tot6.jpg

"The police officer came down the street warning us there would be trouble," he said. "He showed me is ID. He said: do you live here? I said yes. He said "bear in mind St Andrews Road is going to be the front-line tonight."

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
"We have recovered excellent CCTV and those who committed disorder and criminal acts will be identified and held account for their actions."

Let me know if I have this right:

A guys shoots at the cops

The cops shoot back and kill him

His family decides t his is wrong and want to do a protest

Ether_Snake said:
Which one should I look at?

For true stuff - No idea it's Twitter ; ) - but at least get an idea of the hysteria scope:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/riot

North London: Tottenham(where it started) / Enfield (where it spread)

South London area: Brixton

West London: Westfield(luxury shopping centre - biggest in EU I think?)

For LOLs: People retweeting the Media Blackout news, even though no one can substantiate it - just keep saying "Oh it's so worrying if it is true" Facepalm.

Note how lots of Tweets are people saying that there's little or no trouble.

Edit: For messy links

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
This is just getting stupid.

The police should shoot them all. A few less cunt chavs in this country isn't an issue for anyone.

But then the schools I work in will be empty :-/

ashley678 said:
"We have recovered excellent CCTV and those who committed disorder and criminal acts will be identified and held account for their actions."

Fuck CCTV, catch them on the fucking scene. Fuck them up there and then.

Chittagong

Gold Member
ashley678 said:

not going to happen, they don't have time or interest to chase the looters. a studio of friends of mine in Hackney was broken into, Macs stolen, excellent CCTV HD footage from multiple angles, police did fuck all, wasn't interested even in getting the footage.

Detox

If there are riots tomorrow night then the police will have completely lost control. They need to bring the army in and some emergency measures to use force. All the police do is hold an area no retaliation. I swear they were more aggressive during the student protests.

RukusProvider said:
Let me know if I have this right:

A guys shoots at the cops

The cops shoot back and kill him

His family decides t his is wrong and want to do a protest

No. This isn't so much about the shooting. There are two issues involved here. One is the general distrust and tension between the youths in the black community and the Police, which was exasperated by the rumours of a coverup regarding the killing of Duggan (initial ballistic reports suggest that the bullet that hit the other policeman actually came from the firearm of a police officer rather than Duggan). It all came out when a group within those protesting started to get violent. That then became an incentive for others in the area to join destroying vehicles and also loot which leads us to the second issue. The vast majority of these are not motivated by an ideology or a sense of persecution but pure desire to cause mayhem. Some have theorised deep social issues as a the reason for this

One thing I have changed my mind on - Boris needs to come home. Now. He needs to give the city a leader in a time of crisis. Bit like Nero and Rome...

zomgbbqftw said:
One thing I have changed my mind on - Boris needs to come home. Now. He needs to give the city a leader in a time of crisis. Bit like Nero and Rome...

LOL

Let him come back only if he's actually going to do more than give one of his speeches.

Akyan

Gemüsestäbchen said:
For LOLs: People retweeting the Media Blackout news, even though no one can substantiate it - just keep saying "Oh it's so worrying if it is true" Facepalm.

The media blackout is cobblers...they've spent the last 2-3 hours discussing it non-stop on BBC Five Live. The reason it's not being covered on the rolling news channels is because it's nearly midnight on a weekend....

Kentpaul said:
the bbc trying to downplay the complete loss of police control in England is pathetic.

edit, i'm wondering why the thugs don't just overpower a police station and free there arrested comrades ?
The complete loss of police control in all of England? Stop over-exaggerating.

Salazar

zomgbbqftw said:

Ghastly historical slander. Nero did a great job.

Jal

@mattholehouse Matthew Holehouse
Confirmed from two witnesses: looting of sports shop in Kingsland Road shopping centre, Hackney. Gang of 30 pursued by cops.

12.46am: The Metropolitan Police tweets:

Police have not requested a #mediablackout and are continuing to provide updates
Live blog: Twitter

There's been a looting of a sports shop in Kingsland Road shopping centre, Hackney. Gang of 30 pursued by cops.

Meanwhile, BBC News are reviewing a website with a live 'goat-cam'. What in the fuck?

A reporter tweeted yesterday that the BBC were ordering their reporters off the streets because it was too dangerous, maybe that's why they're not covering it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom