• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosus

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
You can't lock up everyone immediately and new people join the riots.
So the real problem is that they're being locked up. Like I said: wipe out, hopefully not causing death, but if it happens...lesson learned for the next group.

Zomba13 said:
He's not exactly going to admit it if it was is he?

Check the guys friends asking him what's going on and that the pic looks nothing like him.

http://twitter.com/#!/MrExposed

Everyone is jumping to conclusions that London is about to be engulfed with rioting, it's fearmongering and completely blown out of proportion.

Just pisses me off.

They're doing this because they think they can get away with it.

Gemüsestäbchen said:
Check the guys friends asking him what's going on and that the pic looks nothing like him.

Everyone is jumping to conclusions that London is about to be engulfed with rioting, it's fearmongering and completely blown out of proportion.

Just pisses me off.

I didn't mean to suggest it was him in the photo. Just came across it on a message-board. Apologies if offence was caused

Maffis

Ether_Snake said:
Why can't the police just shoot them with rubber bullets?

You got plenty of people holding projectiles close to the police. They would be easy targets.

The only time I see police using rubber bullets are on anti-globalization protesters, usually the ones not doing any shit.

Oh I bet they want to, but those suits at the top are afraid of any bad publicity, so they want the police to act passive and take the blows instead.

-viper-

Banned
Casp0r said:
Those ... bastards ...

Hey Syria, you want to shoot 'protestors' in the street ... we got a couple for you.
i honestly think for the first time, we actually have a legitimate case of shooting protesters. for once i would feel no sympathy for those killed in action.

Meus Renaissance said:
I didn't mean to suggest it was him in the photo. Just came across it on a message-board. Apologies if offence was caused

Sorry too, I've been more on Twitter over the last 30 mins and Sky News (You can see I'm losing it) and so much wank being tossed around. : (

Meus Renaissance said:
They're doing this because they think they can get away with it.

That's the problem. The police didn't crack down last night and it looks like they have failed to do so tonight.

Apparently Westfield is on fire in a number of places, if that place burns down Dave and Boris need to come home, bust some heads and get everything moving again. Fuck.

Esiquio said:
WTF.

Shooting-in-Tottenham-Hal-001.jpg

That family should be sued or prosecuted, or both.

Anyone from that area know what building this was? it looks old, like fucking victorian or georgian old.

loosus said:
So the real problem is that they're being locked up. Like I said: wipe out, hopefully not causing death, but if it happens...lesson learned for the next group.
I'm with you, but I can also understand the police don't want a ton of casualties.

kharma45

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
All the good anti-riot stuff is in Northern Ireland. IMO, they should bring in a group from the PSNI to show how it's done.

This. The Met should try and pull some of our stuff over to help out.

-viper- said:
i honestly think for the first time, we actually have a legitimate case of shooting protesters. for once i would feel no sympathy for those killed in action.

If they use rubber bullets they're unlikely to kill, over the 30 odd years they were used here only around 15 or so people actually died from them being used.

Jamie OD

It really bothers me that the family of the victim admitted he was "involved in things" when they mentioned he wasn't a violent person. You can't say that if you are trying to present him as an innocent victim. It just makes his role in the situation look shadiervthan it already is.

Bleepey

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
A bona-fide criminal mastermind. I'd love to be in court when this pic comes up as evidence, it'd be friggin comedy gold.

I bought them your honour. *strokes cat*

Zomba13

Gemüsestäbchen said:

Just pisses me off.
I'm not familiar with twitter or picture hosting on twitter but if it was posted by him (as in from MrExposed) then why do it? And if it was posted by someone else then why is it by MrExposed? That is unless it's posted by Keith Keith.
And if it was by MrExposed and it's not him then it could be a friend of his or something. Either way that haul looks stolen as there seem to be two copies of Prototype on the PS3 and who would buy duplicates of a platinum version of an old game?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maffis said:
Oh I bet they want to, but those suits at the top are afraid of any bad publicity, so they want the police to act passive and take the blows instead.

But even then, where are all the weapons used against peaceful protesters? The sound cannons and such? They always use this on protesters part of protests hijacked by small groups of anarchists that the police doesn't even bother to arrest or infiltrate, but when you got people just rioting for the sake of it, they just stand in line and tap their sticks? Pathetic.

Lucius86

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Why can't the police just shoot them with rubber bullets?

You got plenty of people holding projectiles close to the police. They would be easy targets.

The only time I see police using rubber bullets are on anti-globalization protesters, usually the ones not doing any shit.

Need a few health and safety forms.

Ether_Snake said:
But even then, where are all the weapons used against peaceful protesters? The sound cannons and such? They always use this on protesters part of protests hijacked by small groups of anarchists that the police doesn't even bother to arrest or infiltrate, but when you got people just rioting for the sake of it, they just stand in line and tap their sticks? Pathetic.
Behaviour of these people is different. With those protests people are in a large group and easy targets for such weapons. From what I can tell the riots now are groups of people looting a store and moving on. Before the cannons are there, they are gone already.

Detox

fizzelopeguss said:
Anyone from that area know what building this was? it looks old, like fucking victorian or georgian old.
I think that is on the intersection between the high road and lordship lane (if you wiki lordship lane theres an old image of it). I believe the council used the bottom floor and the rest were flats.

Edit: beaten, I see it's the building opposite

That building was supposedly built around 1920 or near that period. Lasted almost a century till some thugs went to burn it down because they were bored/angry

-viper- said:

They aren't protesters, they are looters, protesters have a legitimate cause, these guys just want to destroy stuff and create havoc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ClosingADoor said:
Behaviour of these people is different. With those protests people are in a large group and easy targets for such weapons. From what I can tell the riots now are groups of people looting a store and moving on. Before the cannons are there, they are gone already.

article-2023254-0D54E8E800000578-345_964x554.jpg

Pew pew pew.

RefigeKru

Banned
kharma45 said:
McDonalds in Walthamstow reportedly on fire. Trouble seems to be heading South of Edmonton now

YES.

What a shithole. I was out in Brixton today, sort of pseudo-festival going on, splash something I dunno I'm quite inebriated at the moment. Anyway, got a lot of texts telling me to swiftly duck out as unrest was likely in Brixton, as well as Streatham and evidently Walthamstow, and soon Edmonton.

I thought it bullshit of the highest order at the time since Brixton is doing well at the moment, but looks like shit is gwannin'.

Wish I had taken some photos in Tottenham last night. :(

Ponti

Meus Renaissance said:
That building was supposedly built around 1920 or near that period. Lasted almost a century till some thugs went to burn it down because they were bored/angry
That's just depressing :(

Lucius86

Banned
SolidusDave said:
It's getting late, they should go to bed or they won't be fit for work tomorrow!

How many of these people rioting have work to go to early in the AM? Not a very high percentage I bet.

Twitter is flooding in with reports that the Police have ordered a media black out (presumably for television news), so it doesn't inspire riots across the country

Meus Renaissance said:

On the one hand it shouldn't have happened, but now that it has been burned down, I hope the government and council keep it like that as a monument for these riots to remind people of what happens when they get out of control.

Wallach

Meus Renaissance said:

I figured the number stamped on the front was a date.

Sucks. I hope the police over there start whipping some peoples' asses.

Lucius86

Banned
RefigeKru said:
YES.

What a shithole. I was out in Brixton today, sort of pseudo-festival going on, splash something I dunno I'm quite inebriated at the moment. Anyway, got a lot of texts telling me to swiftly duck out as unrest was likely in Brixton, as well as Streatham and evidently Walthamstow, and soon Edmonton.

That's where I live - not heard anything untowards here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Meus Renaissance said:
Twitter is flooding in with reports that the Police have ordered a media black out (presumably for television news), so it doesn't inspire riots across the country

More like: Stop showing how inefficient we are at stopping the riots.

mxgt

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

It'd be better if they showed they could actually deal with this shit competently

Forsete

Lucius86 said:
How many of these people rioting have work to go to early in the AM? Not a very high percentage I bet.

Most are probably on benefits.. Nice way of replaying society by destroying peoples workplaces.
But the thugs dont give a shit.

Meus Renaissance said:

Heard this too... Surely bullshit though?

SolidusDave said:
It's getting late, they should go to bed or they won't be fit for work tomorrow!

Hahaha work.

Oh shit, that reminds me. I have work tomorrow. Not sure if I should go in or not.

Also, more police sirens, and an ambulance... D:

Meus Renaissance said:

They should just drop a nuke on London to stop the contagion and set an example. Just to be sure.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zomgbbqftw said:
On the one hand it shouldn't have happened, but now that it has been burned down, I hope the government and council keep it like that as a monument for these riots to remind people of what happens when they get out of control.
That would be too intelligent and nicely symbolic.

zomgbbqftw said:
Hahaha work.

Oh shit, that reminds me. I have work tomorrow. Not sure if I should go in or not.

Also, more police sirens, and an ambulance... D:

... You work in City right?.. I think it will be heavily guarded, and no poor locals living in the area to spawn from their homes with Molotovs...

Meus Renaissance said:
I wondered this, there has been hardly anything on Sky News tonight.

Lerozz

According to Paul Lewis' Twitter it goes on in Edmonton Green. Royal Mail van with smashed windows on the street and a burning car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom