• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tremas

I appear to have dodged a number of bullets today. Just got home from seeing Morrissey at Brixton Academy (he had some scathing things to say about Cameron). I appear to have missed the looting and police en route to the station.

Back in Walthamstow now, no rioting on Hoe Street but crowds had developed. Macdonald's was undamaged.

MetPolice twitter:"Police are responding to a significant amount of criminal activity across London and are deploying officers to tackle it."

When they say "significant", you know shit's going down

Meus Renaissance said:
Police were monitoring social networks yesterday and knew of the 'targets'.

tot6.jpg

"The police officer came down the street warning us there would be trouble," he said. "He showed me is ID. He said: do you live here? I said yes. He said "bear in mind St Andrews Road is going to be the front-line tonight."
It really annoys me when teenagers call the Police 'feds'.

Teenagers from Manchester also do it as well.

Tremas

Salazar said:
Did he have anything scathing to say about looters and thugs ?

Nope, surprisingly quiet on that front.

In other news, there appears to have been a stabbing on my road.

Meus Renaissance said:
Police were monitoring social networks yesterday and knew of the 'targets'.

tot6.jpg

"The police officer came down the street warning us there would be trouble," he said. "He showed me is ID. He said: do you live here? I said yes. He said "bear in mind St Andrews Road is going to be the front-line tonight."
serious situation, but I fucking laughed at this.

-viper-

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Holy shit. Police need to storm the place now. Fuck these wankers. Watch them loot it and set the place on fire before the police even get there...
They need all the help they can get. Get the motherfucking army while we're at it.

Stock up on the rubber bullets. Shoot the cunts on sight.

loosus

Banned
So it's still spreading.

Can someone please answer my question: why is this allowed to continue? I know I have an American perspective on this, but I can't for the life of me understand why this has been allowed to escalate this far and for this long.

Lack of police personnel?

Lack of equipment?

Police who are too scared?

Is there any political reason not to unload on these people?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Live updates, photos and videos here:

http://thewestlondoner.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/breaking-riots-in-enfield-edmonton-brixton/

0154: VIDEO: Police being driven back at Brixton. (external link again)

0152: New update from Walthamstow: BHS is now being attacked by looters.

0152: Large police presence still on the ground at Edmonton Green – riot police, riot vans, the whole works. No indication of further violence/looting/arson there as yet.

0149: Sports Direct at Green Lanes shopping centre is apparently being looted. The rioters are spreading faster than police can respond now, it seems. Indications from Brixton are that some riot police have been redeployed elsewhere.

0148: AUDIO – Brixton man describes the scenes on the ground. (link to Audioboo page because wordpress won’t let me embed this one)

0145: Police have now cordoned off Brixton Curry’s and are attempting to regain control there. Looters are spilling away down back streets.

-viper-

Banned
loosus said:
So it's still spreading.

Can someone please answer my question: why is this allowed to continue? I know I have an American perspective on this, but I can't for the life of me understand why this has been allowed to escalate this far and for this long.

Lack of equipment?

No idea.

The police need to crackdown on these looters. I definitely think the army needs to get involved. Things have gotten way out of hand. Public safety should be of paramount importance and nothing is being done. I blame the 'suits'.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this was a group of terrorist-sympathizers, would it be handled in the same manner?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
http://thewestlondoner.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/enfield43.jpg[img]

Haha

Edit: Amusing, but Vancouver not London.

Zomba13

http://thewestlondoner.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/enfield43.jpg[IMG]
Um...

FUCK SHIT! Beaten >.<

Nice legs though.

Apparently not from tonight.

Man this is really starting to get me worried about my g/f. She is in Stratford currently with her mom and sister and finishing up a vacation in the UK, set to leave back to the US Tuesday. Where is Stratford located near these areas?

faridmon

Holy shit! I used to live near Westfield just 2 months ago. Hopoe my flat mate is alright. Damn, I am glad I got out of London before these bloody things went down. Just hope everything is back to normal when I get back there in October.

painey

Lionheart1827 said:
Man this is really starting to get me worried about my g/f. She is in Stratford currently with her mom and sister and finishing up a vacation in the UK, set to leave back to the US Tuesday. Where is Stratford located near these areas?

Miles away.

-viper-

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
If this was a group of terrorist-sympathizers, would it be handled in the same manner?
These guys are worse than 'terror-sympathisers'. Never has a group of 'sympathisers' wrecked havoc like this in London.

In fact, I would say these rioters ARE terrorists. They are launching petrol bombs at police cars, buses, buildings, shops etc. They are hurling stones and projectiles at the police. They are ransacking and looting shops.

They need to die.

Dabanton

loosus said:
So it's still spreading.

Lack of equipment?

The police have lost control and the people know the police have lost control.

They are getting battered and given the runaround by young kids while more organised individuals and organised gangs raid stores.

7aged

I have no love for these thugs, but can the internet rambos in this thread please stop with all the "they need to die" bullshit?

loosus

Banned
Dabanton said:
The police have lost control and the people know the police have lost control.

They are getting battered and given the runaround by young kids while more organised individuals and organised gangs raid stores.
I guess I don't understand the lack of control, though. How has this even happened?

I mean, in the U.S., someone would have been made an example out of by now. And I am not "bragging" about our police force in the least because they can be as anti-citizen as any force in the world. But I do feel like, when push come to shove, police in the U.S. will take charge, even if that means some looters end up paralyzed (or worse) from bullet wounds.

And I know nobody wants to kill, but this seems to have reached a point where a line has been crossed. This is simply unacceptable.

I have no love for these thugs, but can the internet rambos in this thread please stop with all the "they need to die" bullshit?
I am not advocating their deaths, but I do see this as something that absolutely cannot continue, and if it takes a few deaths to make it stop, then so be it.

Dabanton

7aged said:

Thank you.

I was going to reply to Viper who's been an online 'tough' guy all day with some of his silly comments which have know passed parody and actually deserve our pity.

Polari

loosus said:
I guess I don't understand the lack of control, though. How has this even happened?

I mean, in the U.S., someone would have been made an example out of by now. And I am not "bragging" about our police force in the least because they can be as anti-citizen as any force in the world. But I do feel like, when push come to shove, police in the U.S. will take charge, even if that means some looters end up paralyzed (or worse) from bullet wounds.

And I know nobody wants to kill, but this seems to have reached a point where a line has been crossed. This is simply unacceptable.

So you say they should kill someone to set an example? Yeah that would be great policing. Think the riots are bad now? Have the police kill someone and see how much worse they get.

Dabanton

loosus said:

I am not advocating their deaths, but I do see this as something that absolutely cannot continue, and if it takes a few deaths to make it stop, then so be it.

That would only increase tensions.

You would risk igniting something that the police would find extremely hard to control.

I'm talking a full london maybe nationwide event.I would actually shit myself if something like that kicked off as there would be no telling where that would end.

Let them go for now hopefully police have enough CCTV and other evidence to catch them at a later point.

loosus

Banned
Polari said:
So you say they should kill someone to set an example? Yeah that would be great policing. Think the riots are bad now? Have the police kill someone and see how much worse they get.
Not exactly. I am saying that if someone accidentally dies (i.e., a bullet hits them the wrong way or wrong place) because they wouldn't listen to orders, that's just a sacrifice that had to happen for the better of London.

And really, do you think most Londoners are crazy or something? If they get mad that someone is killed in a fucking riot, then we might as well nuke London from orbit and be done with the entire city. I give London a little more credit than that on a whole.

That would only increase tensions.

You would risk igniting something that the police would find extremely hard to control.

I'm talking a full london maybe nationwide event.I would actually shit myself if something like that kicked off as there would be no telling where that would end.

Let them go for now hopefully police have enough CCTV and other evidence to catch them at a later point.
This just sounds...completely backwards from the way I think.

I am trying to understand why people, as a whole, would get mad that rioters were put out of their misery. I know the current rioters would be mad (obviously), but they should be dealt with accordingly.

DiscoJer

ThisWreckage said:
Between the economic collapse, natural disasters, riots, protests, etc. I really do feel like the world is descending into hell.

No, the Cubs have no chance of making the playoffs this year, much less win the World Series. So it's safe for now...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
loosus said:

It's what is looking as might have been an unwarranted shooting that sparked all this in the first place.

If such a thing happens again, you'd have carnage. This is all people organising things in different areas by social networking, if it really kicked off the police could be severely stretched across the whole city.

loosus said:
So it's still spreading.

Lack of equipment?

i imagine there's still an aura of respect or "intimidation" surrounding police in america, that alone is usually enough to disperse little shits. There's none of that here now, they went from being the most highly regarded police force on the planet to the shambles you saw this weekend.

leadbelly

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:

It's in the Midlands. London is down south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom