• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

spiderman123 said:
What the police is facing right now is a double edge sword. If anyone gets hurt, there is fear of escalation, retaliation and politicians are afraid of public view. The second is that if they don't react ( showing an action vs consequence), ppl will suffer financially and personally. The district or city will suffer financially and lose reputation ( as well as long term economic effects).

What they should do is react NOW based on which tactic has the greatest public approval.
What? No, what they should do now is use the tactics that have the greatest long term efficacy. Regardless of public approval.

Dead Man said:
See, there is a fundamental disagreement of philosophy here. So I will leave you to your opinion, and will continue to maintain mine.

I was serious when I asked about what it would take for your opinion to change. How much crime should the police basically allow to happen out of fear of hurting the criminals?

What if that woman jumping from the burning building died? The would it be ok to tear gas and pepper spray them?

Prologue said:
Why don't you see this sorta stuff in the U.S? Considering some of the stuff that goes on here.

A more proactive policing strategy. I cannot remember the last major multi-day riot we have had. I guess the Rodney King riots..

ag-my001

I'm confused by this Sony warehouse thing. An eyewitness just reported seeing looters carrying out "Wii consoles". Is this a case of calling everything a Nintendo or Playstation, or it more of a building named after Sony but used by many businesses?

Can't we just restart the world economy like we restart a computer? Nobody owes anyone anything. All debt gone. Now global currency: Space Dollars (then they will also be good for when we go to space).

the chinese will be angry because they buy US debt, but someone has to pay, lol (space dollars!)

spiderman123 said:
What the police is facing right now is a double edge sword. If anyone gets hurt, there is fear of escalation, retaliation and politicians are afraid of public view. The second is that if they don't react ( showing an action vs consequence), ppl will suffer financially and personally. The district or city will suffer financially and lose reputation ( as well as long term economic effects).

What they should do is react NOW based on which tactic has the greatest public approval.
The police force is established by a state to protect the innocent. If they are failing to do so then they are not performing their public duties. If rioters are breaking the law they need to be stopped immediately. Escalation should be dealt with if and when it occurs.

traveler

Not Wario
If this was a protest of societal discontent, why not attack government institutions, leave statements, and actually make a point of communicating that? People are being attacked, mugged, and stores broken into and looted- these aren't the actions of those trying to make a political point; these are the actions of opportunistic thieves looking to get themselves a new tv. That's not to say that these actions might not be the result of societal discontent; I just don't think informing the government of their discontent is the point.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Prologue said:
Why don't you see this sorta stuff in the U.S? Considering some of the stuff that goes on here.
We have a policy over here that if you fuck with people you gonna get shot dead and good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Prologue said:

You did, we've taken care of it. I feel for the British people because it's not like the police have their hands tied - they have them tied, blindfolded, and chained to a tree. That's about how effective they are.

Dead Man

outunderthestars said:
I was serious when I asked about what it would take for your opinion to change. How much crime should the police basically allow to happen out of fear of hurting the criminals?

What if that woman jumping from the burning building died? The would it be ok to tear gas and pepper spray them?
Unless that tear gas and pepper spray would have saved her life... what would be the point? I don't have any great objection to tear gas, I've been on the receiving end of it myself on more than one occasion, as long as police aren't bashing heads at the same time it is pretty safe I think. I don't understand why you want to know at what point I would advocate violence.

Dead Man said:
What? No, what they should do now is use the tactics that have the greatest long term efficacy. Regardless of public approval.

Then the question becomes how do you achieve that desired result because either way public opinion is going to drop, the rate at which it will drop based on a given scenario is a different question.

Ultimatum said:
I agree with you. I don't even want to think about the backlash that would be caused by police aggression...

I don't really understand the situation though. What's the reasoning behind the rioting in different areas? Everybody is making it out to be mindless looting, but isn't it a result of discontent with their living conditions (which can be blamed on the government)?

No.
These people do nothing to better themselves, they live off of government funding and housing given to them by the government, they don't work, they have no social standing and quite frankly are disgusting pigs.

All this whole thing is, to them, is a bit of fun, they can fuck shit up and get away with it, and steal things because they feel no remorse or responsibility for their actions, they're not revolting against the government because of discontent, they're just screwing over the hardworking society because they are selfish and they have fuck all else to do.

Any other night they'd be hanging around their shit infested estates (that they ruined) drinking til the early hours and fighting amongst each other, these events are them shitting on our doorsteps instead of their own. These people aren't clever enough to do anything but mindless looting.

traveler said:
If this was a protest of societal discontent, why not attack government institutions, leave statements, and actually make a point of communicating that? People are being attacked, mugged, and stores broken into and looted- these aren't the actions of those trying to make a political point; these are the actions of opportunistic thieves looking to get themselves a new tv. That's not to say that these actions might not be the result of societal discontent; I just don't think informing the government of their discontent is the point.

This is the kind of person at the heart of all this
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150333636850851

They are fucking pond life. There is nothing Great about Great Britain tonight.. these fucking pricks are showing us up to the whole world.

Ripclawe

Banned
Prologue said:
The public in most places are armed and the police here would have busted out the heavy weapons on the first night.

BattleMonkey said:
We got guns in our houses, probably better equipped police forces too
Yeah, I mean if ppl wouldnt be breaking into houses over here... there are serious consequences to such things and there should be.

Dead Man

spiderman123 said:
Then the question becomes how do you achieve that desired result because either way public opinion is going to drop, the rate at which it will drop based on a given scenario is a different question.
Police actions should not be at the whim of public opinion.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
~Kinggi~ said:
We have a policy over here that if you fuck with people you gonna get shot dead and good.

Not just by law enforcement, but if you rioted and started breaking into people's houses in Texas you'll get shot.

Dead Man said:
Police actions should not be at the whim of public opinion.

Their actions are based on protecting the greater public. This is a handful ( not necessarily a handful but for quantitative comparison) of thugs taking advantage of an opportunity.

teh_pwn said:
Not just by law enforcement, but if you rioted and started breaking into people's houses in Texas you'll get shot.

Yeah, a farmer here shot a burglar a few years back. The Burglar sued him and got compensation and the farmer got 2 years for GBH.

*sigh*

teh_pwn said:

Not just in Texas. A good percentage of home owners keep a gun. I keep a loaded shotgun near the bed in case something were to happen. I honestly hope I never have to use it, but if someone breaks into my home I wouldn't hesitate to....

zeitgeist said:
Gigantic fines would be good for the economy wouldn't they?

Not if the money to pay it came from unemployment/welfare anyhow...

whalekock said:
When this is over, what kind of punishment will be given to rioters that were arrested?

Hopefully they get tried under terrorism offences (terrorism act 2000) - I don't know if that would be possible. In cases of arson, how about attempted murder. There'll be a fair few assault / GBH charges I'd imagine as well. We should bring back fucking stocks so these cunts have to stand with their head in blocks of wood at the epicentre of their own destruction... make them answer to the shopkeepers and home-owners whose lives they've completely fucked up... whose car insurance premiums will be increasing.

sullyj

Prologue said:

London Scenario: "Come on man the cops are not stopping this lets go! Free Nikes!" Looters notice cops sipping tea and doing nothing. Looter says, "Nothing left, on to the next town we go!"

US Scenario: Dude lets break into a house/business and loot the place. Bang! Buddies head explodes into 100 pieces. Fellow rioters see the cause and effect. Word spreads. Game over.

ag-my001 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

Three days of bad rioting after the Rodney King cops were acquitted, put down when National Guard troops were called in to help enforce a curfew. 53 killed, thousands injured.

I was on the way to the Dodger game in LA the day the verdict was announced. By the time we left the stadium palm trees were on fire. I remember leaving the stadium and my mother freaking out. Telling us to keep our heads down and such.

Ronok

The English Conquistador said:
Damn, wonder where that is in Camden. That looks like the road from Chalk Farm leading up to Hampstead. Could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure the wall at the end of the road is stable markets. So turn right from there and you'll head up toward chalk farm station (a bit beyond that where I live), and if you turn left you'll head toward camden town station.

Right now I'm contemplating going to sleep, but despite everything seemingly calming down around here I just don't feel safe. How can anyone with these cunts roaming the street? This is all just so unbelievable, I'm in disbelief. :-/

As for police actions, I'd 100% support any action taken by the police at this point. I don't care how young these looters are, or whether they got caught up in some bullshit mob mentality. They would deserve anything they got at this point.

K444WSR

Eiji said:
100 hours community service.
It's shows how much of a mess we're in when this or something not far from it, is probably what will happen.

The youth of today have no fear of prison. It's a holiday for them. Our justice system is such a joke that hundreds of prisoners are let out early because the prisons aren't big enough, people get joke sentences, we don't have enough police officers and amidst all of this the government wants to cut public services. The thought of prison or a criminal record is not working as a deterrent anymore and the government has to act now or I shudder to think what will happen in the near future.

Ronok said:
I'm pretty sure the wall at the end of the road is stable markets. So turn right from there and you'll head up toward chalk farm station (a bit beyond that where I live), and if you turn left you'll head toward camden town station.

Right now I'm contemplating going to sleep, but despite everything seemingly calming down around here I just don't feel safe. How can anyone with these cunts roaming the street? This is all just so unbelievable, I'm in disbelief. :-/
Dunno the laws over there but thats why people own guns.

goomba

Banned
sullyj said:
London Scenario: "Come on man the cops are not stopping this lets go! Free Nikes!" Looters notice cops sipping tea and doing nothing. Looter says, "Nothing left, on to the next town we go!"

US Scenario: Dude lets break into a house/business and loot the place. Bang! Buddies head explodes into 100 pieces. Fellow rioters see the cause and effect. Word spreads. Game over.

So why did the LA riots of 1992 go on for six days?

Ronok

TheExecutive said:
Dunno the laws over there but thats why people own guns.

You think I'd feel safe going to sleep if I had a gun next to me? Really? If I've got one, they probably do as well and I'm asleep. Nice odds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
goomba said:

I thought it was three. Also: LA is fucking crazyland. CRAZYLAND.

goomba said:

Technically the violence and mayhem ended within hours of armed soldiers arriving. Funny how that worked: put people on the street with weapons and permission to use them and suddenly the violence ends.....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ronok said:
You think I'd feel safe going to sleep if I had a gun next to me? Really? If I've got one, they probably do as well and I'm asleep. Nice odds.

They can bring one in whether you have one or not. Even the odds!

Ronok said:
Well, I am not trying to trivialize your fears or anything but they still would have to break into the house/apartment. I doubt your going to sleep that soundly anyway :/. It sucks anyway, sorry about your plight. I would raise hell with my local politicians when this is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom